Guaranteed Delivery
93 Members and 17806 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Hair Color....Scalp Burning

Started 1320514480.08 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1320781722.847 by Quinny

Question for you ladies...what do you do if you have ever experienced sorness or burning after getting your roots colored? Is there anything that can help this reaction from not occurring?

While it's not terrible at the time the reaciton seems to happen and then takes several weeks to seem to calm down. I am thinking perhaps that I shouldn't be using permanent haircolor with perioxide? I go to a salon by the way....not something I do at home.

I wonder if using demi or semi permanent color would stop this scalp burning reaction. I never had this happen until I began having to cover gray hair....I could get foil highlights yrs ago with no issues but I wasn't covering gray roots coming in. I have tried many different color lines and they all do this to me to some degree....this last place has been the mildest reaction of scalp burning.

Any suggestions or ideas on this?

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

Page 1 of 1
Subject1320514726.3611269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

This use to happen to me when I went and had my roots touched up at the salon. I think they use a higher percentage of peroxide than in the home color kits. I now do my own roots at home with Loreal Excellence and never experience this.

Shelbelle1320514843.7335248 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I use Revlon Colorsilk, permanent but ammonmia free. No burning, and I have thinning hair up at the top and still no reactions.

Good4u1320514875.5273216 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest

My only suggestion is that your scalp is sensitive to the chemical reaction taking place which you probably already know, huh? Maybe you could consult with a Derm and find out what he would recommend you do...which may be not do it at all. But check anyway.

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

tsavorite1320514918.394755 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

I wonder what the percent is? When I went to a RUSK color salon they used the lowest available....10% and that did fine but tiny reaction....but color faded easily but they all do....this place I go to now is using the standard 20%.

tsavorite1320514999.0134755 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005
On 11/5/2011 Good4u said:

My only suggestion is that your scalp is sensitive to the chemical reaction taking place which you probably already know, huh? Maybe you could consult with a Derm and find out what he would recommend you do...which may be not do it at all. But check anyway.

Thought of that also....that's why I was think of demi or semi....I think those don't use perioxide in them?? I can't imagine not being able to color my hair....I hope that's not the case.

Good4u1320515548.4773216 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest
On 11/5/2011 tsavorite said:
On 11/5/2011 Good4u said:

Thought of that also....that's why I was think of demi or semi....I think those don't use perioxide in them?? I can't imagine not being able to color my hair....I hope that's not the case.

You could try a demi or semi...but because they STILL use chemiclas as the changing agent to color hair...it may be best to consult the Derm. You could be worsening your sensitivity because of it. I would STOP until I spoke to a Derm for guidance if I were you.

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

chandeliers1320515598.3434357 PostsRegistered 3/5/2008

Ask your stylist to add a packet of Sweet and Low (pink packet) to the mixture. Don't ask me why, but it works.

Icegoddess1320516324.7531638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

Don't automatically blame the peroxide or ammonia:

About 5% of permanent hair dyes users develop an allergy, mostly in the form of an allergic contact dermatitis with a redness and (that word that QVC won't allow here that sounds like stitch) in the head area, but a systemic reaction with an involvement of the whole body skin and other organs is possible in severe cases (1). Hand dermatitis affects considerable percent of hair-dressers (2). The main cause is a substance PPD.

I would not play around with this. Maybe check with a dermatologist or allergist and at least rule this out as every time you expose yourself to it, the potential for disaster rises. You could even go into anaphalaxis shock. What concerns me is the amount of time it takes to subside. If it takes several weeks to calm down, then if you are like most people with gray roots, you're ready for a color again.

ennui1320517242.0219957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 11/5/2011 Icegoddess said:

I would not play around with this. Maybe check with a dermatologist or allergist and at least rule this out as every time you expose yourself to it, the potential for disaster rises.

I agree. I once had a mild burning reaction to hair color, and when I called the manufacturer's hotline, they told me to stop using it.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Rainbows a­nd Roses1320517249.4118545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

My hair dresser puts in two packets of sweet and low and that stopped the burning on my head. He learned that years ago at school.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

jackthebear1320517864.7436217 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/5/2011 tsavorite said:

Question for you ladies...what do you do if you have ever experienced sorness or burning after getting your roots colored? Is there anything that can help this reaction from not occurring?

While it's not terrible at the time the reaciton seems to happen and then takes several weeks to seem to calm down. I am thinking perhaps that I shouldn't be using permanent haircolor with perioxide? I go to a salon by the way....not something I do at home.

I wonder if using demi or semi permanent color would stop this scalp burning reaction. I never had this happen until I began having to cover gray hair....I could get foil highlights yrs ago with no issues but I wasn't covering gray roots coming in. I have tried many different color lines and they all do this to me to some degree....this last place has been the mildest reaction of scalp burning.

Any suggestions or ideas on this?

probably the peroxide used to drive in the color this happened to me years ago, I now use Robert Craig Color at home. I havent tried anything else at the salon (only because there are some advantages to doing it yrself, like the price and convenience)

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php

my new hairstylist has an alternative but I havent tried it.

depglass1320518319.84724391 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Mine itched like crazy for weeks the last time, and as far as I know, she didn't do anything different. I'm going to mention the Sweet and Low, she will laugh her head off.

StarChild1320518814.731905 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008NYC
On 11/5/2011 chandeliers said:

Ask your stylist to add a packet of Sweet and Low (pink packet) to the mixture. Don't ask me why, but it works.

I remember reading that's what James Marsters did when his hair was dyed for playing Spike on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Like Jack Benny, I'm 39 and holding ;)

sweetpea531320519733.8474317 PostsRegistered 10/16/2011

The Sweet and Low does in fact work. I have even had my scalp feel like jello.(swelling) Wella hair coloring seems to be really bad. And if they would use heat to process. Uh Oh!!

My old hairdresser did this and worked perfectly. Never had any problems from then on.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.......

tsavorite1320521208.1634755 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas.....I forgot that my stylist did mention the sweet&low trick when I 1st went there and I thought since I didn't notice burning during the processing I was ok but I notice it later in the day....so next time I will have her do that! I may check out that other haircolor line too. And last but not least I plan on seeing a derm just to be safe...I am not due for another coloring until mid decemeber so I am sure I can get in and run this by him....I was thinking I might ask him for a topical steroid to use afterwards for a day or 2....I have heard about that but not sure if that's what should be done.

8bannie1320522629.333157 PostsRegistered 1/28/2008

I too developed this after about 50 (OMG) years of coloring. Can you do just highlites that does not touch the scalp? They can blend in with the gray. The other suggestion is to ask your stylist to keep it about 1/4 inch or so away from your scalp. It is a little more work for the stylist but that might be your answer because it will then not touch the scalp. If that were me and neither worked, I would forget the sweet and low and dermatologist and just STOP coloring. It can be so dangerous to you. I have seen customers end up in emergency. It is not worth it!!!!!!!!!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

ennui1320525328.47719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

The burning is your body trying to tell you something. I think it's silly to ignore it.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

NickelEmily1320525524.6031966 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

Try an amonia free hair dye.

joyfulmommy1320554357.39219 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

That used to happen to me too when I had my hair colored. My stylist used Sweet & Low and it did help, but it didn't completely eliminate the problem. I decided that anything that burns and itches and causes my eyes and throat to burn is not good for me and I stopped coloring my hair 11 months ago. I just let my gray grow in and I actually get compliments on my hair color. I laugh when people ask me where I get my hair colored and tell them nature does it for me. The other beneift is that I spend much less money on my hair now and less time in the salon.

Newnick ame1320582663.62713097 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
It seems to be the ammonia that. Burns my scalp. The stylist used a very good demi the last timei went, so no burning. I have an appt tomorrow, and i may try the demi again.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

luvitall1320585459.52361 PostsRegistered 10/27/2006

YES! Absolutely true... while getting color does not bother me now, several years ago I did have tremendous sensitivity and that is exactly what my colorist used to do - she said something about it changing the Ph......whatever, but it works! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

kcc1320586909.353546 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010
On 11/6/2011 luvitall said:

YES! Absolutely true... while getting color does not bother me now, several years ago I did have tremendous sensitivity and that is exactly what my colorist used to do - she said something about it changing the Ph......whatever, but it works! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Here's another vote for Sweet & Low. (sounds a bit cukoo but it works) Also make sure you don't wash your hair the day of color--or even try to go 2+days w/out shampoo--before coloring.

Shelbelle1320588424.94735248 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Revlon Colorsilk is ammonia free.

Quinny1320781722.8472531 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

This used to happen to me all the time. I mentioned it to my stylist and she said, "well, we need to try a different brand". She was using Redken color and switched to Matrix color for my hair the difference is like night and day!

Page 1 of 1