Guaranteed Delivery
108 Members and 19303 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Keratin for hair thinning hair?

Started 1317478334.087 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1318687785.027 by Shelbelle

Have heard that this ingredient is good for hair. My hair is baby fine,thin and sparse.

Do see ads on TV for ordering a hair kit called Keratique?

Would like to know if anyone has it,and can comment?

Thanks,lovestodanceSmile

Page 1 of 2
danni rose1317488225.0932552 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011

i've read about it and if you research further, you'll see once they charge your credit card, it appears to be somewhat of a scam. if you decide you don't like it and return it, you'll have a tough time trying to get the charges stopped.

you should google and check it out for yourself to read the reviews on the product itself. it may be something you like and may want to keep purchasing. some reviewers liked it.

i don't order anything online via the tv ads any more due to the additional shipping charges, add-ons, etc. it's totally become a buyer-beware thing now.

it's high-priced imo too.

deeva1317488446.2772135 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005stuck in the middle

I'd save my money and go to a dermatologist. I always ask myself this question; if all of these revolutionary hair products work, why are so many men and women bald?

lovestodan­ce1317518509.884917 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006
On 10/1/2011 deeva said:

I'd save my money and go to a dermatologist. I always ask myself this question; if all of these revolutionary hair products work, why are so many men and women bald?

Hi deeva, thanks i am seeing m Derma Dr in a couple of weeks.

Will ask him.

Montana1317580599.671669 PostsRegistered 7/1/2005
On 10/1/2011 danni rose said:

i don't order anything online via the tv ads any more due to the additional shipping charges, add-ons, etc. it's totally become a buyer-beware thing now.

I don't know about this product, but I also never order anything from tv ads after some bad experiences; the worst: a single order was changed to auto-delivery, and I had to dispute the unauthorized charge with my cc company to get it stopped. The customer service contacts from the tv ad were no help at all. Very unprofessional.

If I see something I like on tv, I just find it somewhere else. Even if it costs a bit more.

Last edited on 10/2/2011

Last edited on 10/2/2011

RedConvert­ibleGirl1317581112.69314525 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

If you've ruled out thyroid or any other medical condition there really isn't anything out there to help with thinning hair. Some doctors may suggest Rogaine but I'm not willing to go that route. You could ask your derm about spironolactone. And of course they may also suggest biotin.

Sally Beauty has keratin products if you just want to try them. It's a cheap and easy way. You can always return them if you don't like them.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

latenightl­ady1317581138.62282 PostsRegistered 6/5/2007Rhode Island

Same happened to me Montana....took months to straighten out my account. Once they have you....they have you for life! Scams!! And then they advertise that Oprah or Rachael Ray support their site (in my case Acai Berry)....not true. I have no idea how Oprah and Rachael allow them to continue, even to this day.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

If "HE" seems far away...........who moved?

danni rose1317582052.7732552 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011
On 10/2/2011 Montana said:
On 10/1/2011 danni rose said:

I don't know about this product, but I also never order anythingfrom tv ads after some bad experiences; the worst: a single order was changed to auto-delivery, and I had to dispute the unauthorized charge with my cc company to get it stopped. The customer service contacts from the tv ad were no help at all. Very unprofessional.

If I see something I like on tv, I just find it somewhere else. Even if it costs a bit more.

Last edited on 10/2/2011

i was interested in this product so i researched it. i read the reviews and buyers said they were having a hard time with their credit cards even 90-days+ not being refunded properly after they had returned the item and some were phoning, letter writing, etc.

the product itself seemed expensive, not including the s/h + taxes. the reviews were somewhat mixed. it was hard to tell whether people actually liked the product or if they thought the product was just too expensive for what it did so they returned it on that basis. i would not recommend keranique. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

i agree with you that most of the items you see on tv will be sold elsewhere either in a drugstore, bb&b, target, walmart, etc. you just have to wait a bit. and ... if you still don't like the product, these stores have good return policies.

Montana1317582206.6431669 PostsRegistered 7/1/2005

lovestodance, I have thinning hair, especially in the front - male pattern balding - but it has filled in some since I started taking Neocell Collagen +Vitamin C tablets and Hyaluronic Acid capsules along with Cod Liver Oil every day. I take other supplements, but since my hair did not improve until these latest additions, I assume these are what has made the difference.

I did not have high expectations, so I am pleasantly surprised.

lovestodan­ce1317910782.5134917 PostsRegistered 6/12/2006

lovestodance, I have thinning hair, especially in the front - male pattern balding - but it has filled in some since I started taking Neocell Collagen +Vitamin C tablets and Hyaluronic Acid capsules along with Cod Liver Oil every day. I take other supplements, but since my hair did not improve until these latest additions, I assume these are what has made the difference.

Hi Montana, where can i find Neocell collagen? Never heard of it!!

Hope it's in capsule form? Do not take any supplements that are in tablets.

I do take 5,000 mg's of Biotin daily. My nails grow like weeds,and are also strong.

However has not helped my hair.

I am looking forward from you with reply.

Thanks for your reply,and input.

lovestodanceSmile

annabellet­hecat1317911388.08714871 PostsRegistered 9/23/2006
Nioxon is supposed to make hair grow. I read in glamor or one magazine that it worked, but the men's Nioxon works better. It is much stronger. I still can't find out why most things says for a woman not to use it. I'm thinking I'll try it anyway.

Shaunac1317911640.473083 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010
On 10/6/2011 lovestodance said:

<em>lovestodance</em>, I have thinning hair, especially in the front - male pattern balding - but it has filled in some since I started taking Neocell Collagen +Vitamin C tablets and Hyaluronic Acid capsules along with Cod Liver Oil every day. I take other supplements, but since my hair did not improve until these latest additions, I assume these are what has made the difference.

Hi Montana, where can i find Neocell collagen? Never heard of it!!

Hope it's in capsule form? Do not take any supplements that are in tablets.

I do take 5,000 mg's of Biotin daily. My nails grow like weeds,and are also strong.

However has not helped my hair.

I am looking forward from you with reply.

Thanks for your reply,and input.

lovestodanceSmile

Neocell is found in tablet form at Sam's Club. It is reasonably priced, too.

Shauna

Wiskota1317912239.89798 PostsRegistered 1/24/2008Wisconsin
On 10/6/2011 annabellethecat said:Nioxon is supposed to make hair grow. I read in glamor or one magazine that it worked, but the men's Nioxon works better. It is much stronger. I still can't find out why most things says for a woman not to use it. I'm thinking I'll try it anyway.

Anna The usually don't recommend men's versions for women because it can make hair grow everywhere on your body, including your face.

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I want to thank the men who died who give that right to me." Lee Greenwood

A Walker1317913570.5831245 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011

Hi Lovestodance and Ladies!

Lovestodance, my husband just saw the ad for Keratique on TV yesterday and decided to check it out to see if it was all it said it was. He dug up some bad reviews about credit cards continually being charged after cancellation, etc. What he could find out was nothing more than what other plans call for. So, I agree with the other ladies on here that I wouldn't get involved in that and would see your derm.

BUT, before you head to your derm, there are a few sites you can check out to read reviews, plans, etc. to become familiar with different products which will allow you to have a better discussion with your derm. After a while, you will see most successful (or that they say are successful anyway) plans diagnose the cause first (proper diagnosis needed) and if androgenic alopecia is the finding, usually hit it from three ways: (1) stop continuing hair loss with androgen/DHT blockers applied topically or taken internally, (2) stop inflammation of the scalp, and (3) use a revitalizing/stimulating substance for new growth. It's interesting that when you check into treatments for hair loss, all these places believe in basically the same 3-step route with an added embellishment thrown in here and there. These below sites might be of interest to you if you haven't already visited them. Hope they help! Let us know what the derm says and good luck!

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-guides.php

http://www.thehairlossreview.com/

http://www.wantmorehair.com/

http://www.hairclub.com/new/female-hair-loss.php

Bosley

Rogaine

quesolvr1317914563.513232 PostsRegistered 9/9/2011

Highly recommend biotin. Look for it in shampoos and conditioners. Natural ingredient. I had three doctors recommend it as a natural product for hair loss;my derm, fam dr, and gyno.

Look for hair nail and skin vitamins. Try the vitamins and biotin first. Then if you still have issues, go to scripts. Check in with your dr to see there is nothing larger going on. Hair loss can be a sign of something more serious in women.

Avoid steroid hair products, unless you plan to use them for life. Once you start, you cant stop...well you can, but you will wont have any hair left.

Last edited on 10/6/2011

Last edited on 10/6/2011

Shelbelle1317931641.20335256 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/6/2011 quesolvr said:

Highly recommend biotin. Look for it in shampoos and conditioners. Natural ingredient. I had three doctors recommend it as a natural product for hair loss;my derm, fam dr, and gyno.

Look for hair nail and skin vitamins. Try the vitamins and biotin first. Then if you still have issues, go to scripts. Check in with your dr to see there is nothing larger going on. Hair loss can be a sign of something more serious in women.

Avoid steroid hair products, unless you plan to use them for life. Once you start, you cant stop...well you can, but you will wont have any hair left.

Last edited on 10/6/2011

I take 7500 mcg Biotin daily, my hair is still thin, nails are much better.

Mom in NY1317937031.25147 PostsRegistered 7/6/2007

Hair Thinning - I went to see a renowned dermatologist, Dr. Doris Day, in NYC and she recommended Viviscal supplements and laser treatments. I bought the viviscal but I need to give it a try for 6 months according to the doc. I did not opt for laser treatments because it has to be done 3 times a week. The cost is expensive but I would have tried it but I could not do this with my work schedule.

Shelbelle1317937386.67335256 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/6/2011 Mom in NY said:

Hair Thinning - I went to see a renowned dermatologist, Dr. Doris Day, in NYC and she recommended Viviscal supplements and laser treatments. I bought the viviscal but I need to give it a try for 6 months according to the doc. I did not opt for laser treatments because it has to be done 3 times a week. The cost is expensive but I would have tried it but I could not do this with my work schedule.

I have seen her on The View discussing laser treatments for thinnning hair.

Shaunac1317938706.0733083 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010
On 10/6/2011 Mom in NY said:

Where did you buy Viviscal. How many pills do you take a day, how much are they, how many to a bottle, how long have you been taking the pills???????

Do tell!!!!!

Thanks.

Shauna

Mom in NY1317942928.003147 PostsRegistered 7/6/2007

Susanna - Hair thinning and viviscal, it can be bought from Vitacost. I take two a day with food.

Shelbelle1317990585.81335256 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I would love to hear reviews on Vivisical from you. To be honest, the online reviews are not very promising. Best deal right now is from MotherNature.com, they are $37 there and having a 20% off sale for this weekend, code is CDAY20, free shipping over $49 and 12% back from Mr Rebates. I was very tempted to order but after reading reviews I am very hesitant.

Are you also using the lotion and shampoo?

Last edited on 10/7/2011

Last edited on 10/7/2011

4doggies1317991069.733501 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I take Biotin every day, it's an inexpensive supplement you can buy at any DS and it's supposed to help with hair and nails. It seems to help a little--definitely doesn't hurt.

samiam21317998171.567667 PostsRegistered 2/11/2005

I totally understand the stress that you are going through with thinning hair. All I can do is share with you what has helped me.

Biotion works well but needs to be taken with a muliti vitamin. It will not work on it's own.

Have your vitamin D3 tested. Although Dr's will say that a level of 25 is good it needs to be more in line of 70. Everyone can benefit from taking vitamin D3

Make sure you are consuming Zinc. This is very important.

Take a good fish oil. I take mega red everyday.

Use shampoo that will clean the scalp it's not just good enough to clean the hair. Case in point I use Moroccan shampoo and conditioner along with Keratin Complex infusion and Pureology powerdressing. This will not grow hair but will keep it in the best possible condition and give some fullness.

Have your thyroid tested. Free T3 and Free T4 NOT a thyroid panel.

Have your glucose tested along with hormones.

Check to see if the medication that you are taking can have a side effect that will cause hair lost. Not just on the drug sites but on peer to peer sites.

If you need to use a blow dryer try to wait for your hair to dry a bit then finish with a blow dryer.

If you have any questions please just ask and if I can I will try to help if I can.

ALSO WEATHER CHANGES SPRING TO SUMMER AND FALL TO WINTER IS THE NUMBER ONE TIME TO LOSE HAIR.

You also need to know whether or not your losing it from breakage or from the root.

Sami

"A smart man learns from his own mistakes.....A wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

Shelbelle1317998357.7635256 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Along with Biotin try taking Black Currant Oil capsules and or Evening Primrose Oil capsules.

This is recommended by Dr Weil for hair loss.

Shelbelle1318002438.68735256 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I just cant help but think if Viviscal were such a miracle product , why isnt the whole world using it, I am so leary of trying it for what it costs.

MadamAnne1318003162.167536 PostsRegistered 9/15/2007

I hope you'll keep us updated in your search. My hair has been thinning in the front for about 4 years (I'm over 60). Thanks to this Board, I tried Rogaine for Men and it works, BUT, you HAVE to use it EVERYDAY, TWICE A DAY.

I have not stuck to that schedule for quite awhile (laziness?), but when I do, it definitely helps hair grow back. So at least the thinning doesn't get worse. My hair dresser comments on the growth, but I am still so hung up on this thinning{#emotions_dlg.bored} I hate it!

Page 1 of 2