Fall Fashion Clearance
58 Members and 10703 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What's a good drugstore NON Aerosol hairspray?

Started 1260976231 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1261091237 by glmama
I currently use (and love) Pantene's Texture aerosol hairspray but would like to switch to a non-aerosol type spray. Unfortunately, the ones I've used in the past go on wet and sticky. Don't want that! I also don't want anything that flakes onces it's dry or leaves a white flaky residue in the hair.
Any suggestions for a good mega hold non-aerosol drugstore brand hairspray?
TIA!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***

Page 1 of 1
LipstickDi­va126098031436699 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
Just poppin in to say high. I use aerosol sprays because I too have yet to find a non aerosol that doesn't go on so wet, it ruins "the do!" Queen
--
Formerly Shoppedtomuch

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

scorpio381312609819092200 PostsRegistered 3/18/2007Indy
Hi Queen!
Yeah, I really do love the aerosol type and don't want to change, but I've been trying to figure out why I have watery eyes every morning and thought I'd experiment. I clean my makeup brushes everyday and have tried several different brands of eye makeup (Almay included) and mascaras. I usually have the most watery-ness in the mornings so I'm wondering if my hairspray has anything to do with it.
I agree - the wet pump stuff ruins the do!
Hope you're doing well!!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***

Curly Girly1260981940115 PostsRegistered 4/23/2009Indiana
Hi Scorpio! I use L'Oreal Strong Suit....It's a black bottle, and non-aerosol. I have been using it for a while, and I like it. I haven't had any issues with flaking or it being overly wet when applied. I also use Big S*xy Hair in the tall red can (aerosol) when I am completely done styling for added "strength". I have think long naturally curly hair. Hope that Helps!! Merry Christmas!

scorpio381312609821802200 PostsRegistered 3/18/2007Indy
Thanks Curly Girly! I'll put that one on my list of things to try! Merry Christmas!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***
--
Edited by scorpio3813 at 12/16/2009 7:51 AM PST

Last edited on 12/16/2009

irishwoman12609823092168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> I currently use (and love) Pantene's Texture aerosol
> hairspray but would like to switch to a non-aerosol
> type spray. Unfortunately, the ones I've used in the
> past go on wet and sticky. Don't want that! I also
> don't want anything that flakes onces it's dry or
> leaves a white flaky residue in the hair.
>
> Any suggestions for a good mega hold non-aerosol
> drugstore brand hairspray?
>
> TIA!
>
> --
> ***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping
> them up.***
well, i really like AUSSIE scunch hair spray!
on me, not sticky, just keeps my hair in place!
and if i want, i can make it look more full by running my fingers through my hair after i spray lightly with it..
bren

scorpio381312609832972200 PostsRegistered 3/18/2007Indy
irishwoman,
Does the Aussie Scrunch have the familiar Aussie scent? If so, I definitely can't use it. I appreciate the recommendation though!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***

Kimberly32712609843051677 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008
Sounds like you've tried to narrow down the "allergen." Why not try spritzing some hairspray after you get home to see if it's the culprit? It might be something as simple as the laundry detergent you're using on the towels with which you dry your face. I've never found a nonaerosol that comes close to the can. Good luck with your search.

goldenretr­iever12609844385573 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...
I really like Giovanni LA Style Hair Spritz hairspray. It holds my hair very well, brushes & washes out easily, & never coats my hair or make it dull. I buy it at Vitacost for the best price. :-x
Need to add...this doesn't go on wet or sticky, & it dries fast. :-)
--
Edited by goldenretriever at 12/16/2009 8:28 AM PST

Last edited on 12/16/2009

Lakeside, with a KONG toy in my mouth.

Plumnelly1260986374760 PostsRegistered 8/28/2007
To 1 Scorpio from another--
Sounds like an eye allergy; I use Opcon-A(Bausch & Lomb), but mine is seasonal.
I use Suave Unscented hairspray Max hold #8; it handles high humidity better than some do. If I notice some flaking, it seems to be more related to heavy setting lotion, when I've been heavy-handed w/it!:O
The more unscented things I use the better for my eyes for me. Good luck!

"It's amazing how long it takes to finish something you're not working on."

scorpio381312609923792200 PostsRegistered 3/18/2007Indy
Thanks for your replies, ladies. I'm definitely trying to figure out what the culprit is, although I'm not 100% sure it's coming from my morning routine. I don't think it's my detergent - I use All Free & Clear without dyes and fragrance. I'll try spritzing my hair in the evening and see what happens. I use Optive eye drops, but none of the eye drops I've tried really seem to do anything.
Recently, I've been scrubbing my eyelids with castor oil and especially along the lash line because my Optometrist told me I have clogged oil glands along the lash line. I think this condition is called MGD (Meibomian Gland Dysfunction). But even all this scrubbing doesn't seem to be doing much. I don't have red, itchy, scaly eyelids like Beanly in another thread, so I don't think it's eye dermatitis.
I'm going to try the unscented hairspray and see if that makes a difference.
Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. I'll just keep experimenting!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***

LipstickDi­va126099542936699 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
Scorpio you'll hate the Aussie scrunch spray because it does have the typical smell. LOL
I don't have the eye problem you have but my sister does something aweful. She has extremely sensitive eyes and she just developed that within about the last 10 years or so.
She can barely use anything on her eyes. The only eye make-up removers she can use is the Maybelline with the blue lid or baby oil. She can't use any cleansers right over her eyes. There are very few eyeliners or mascaras she can use. I know she can use Avon liners but only the ones that are self sharpening. Her mascara of choice is Korres because it's one of the few she can use. She recently discovered she cannot use any eyeshadows in the plum/aubergine family.
If she deviates and tries something different, her eyes will water like crazy. Queen
--
Formerly Shoppedtomuch

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

scorpio381312609977112200 PostsRegistered 3/18/2007Indy
> Scorpio you'll hate the Aussie scrunch spray because
> it does have the typical smell. LOL
>
> I don't have the eye problem you have but my sister
> does something aweful. She has extremely sensitive
> eyes and she just developed that within about the
> last 10 years or so.
>
> She can barely use anything on her eyes. The only
> eye make-up removers she can use is the Maybelline
> with the blue lid or baby oil. She can't use any
> cleansers right over her eyes. There are very few
> eyeliners or mascaras she can use. I know she can
> use Avon liners but only the ones that are self
> sharpening. Her mascara of choice is Korres because
> it's one of the few she can use. She recently
> discovered she cannot use any eyeshadows in the
> plum/aubergine family.
>
> If she deviates and tries something different, her
> eyes will water like crazy. Queen
>
> --
> Formerly Shoppedtomuch
I told you we were just like sisters! :^O
Um, yeah, no Aussie for me, thanks. ;-)
I really do think my eyes have gotten more sensitive over the years. It used to be just a couple of things that would irritate my eyes (sunscreen with chemicals for one), but I do think it's getting worse. I had been using baby oil gel and baby wipes to remove my eye makeup, but got a jar of Almay non-oily eye makeup removers a few weeks ago. I used to really like those, but I wonder now if that has something to do with it.
Eyeshadows in the plum/aubergine family - I wonder if that would have something to do with red dye? I don't use those colors, so I don't know about that.
I have some Avon pencils, but not the self sharpening kind. I'll have to look into those and the Korres mascara.
Until I'm able to retire (still a ways to go....) I just can't see myself not wearing eye makeup. I guess I'll just have to spend the rest of my life blotting the corners and underneath my eyes if I don't find some relief!
Thanks again!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***

Gloria12609978684312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I use Tres Spray Super Hold Hair Spray from Tresemme. It is a non-aerosol spray. I love it! Holds well and is non-sticky!

nafecar12609991353816 PostsRegistered 2/21/2007So Cal
I can not use the aerosol spray cans due to COPD and so I have been using Paul Mitchell Soft Spray you can get it in lots of drug stores etc. I really like it the best and I have tried many others.

Nafey
For each day the Lord blesses you with you can either embrace it or disgrace it, it's up to you.

irishwoman12610117892168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006
> irishwoman,
> Does the Aussie Scrunch have the familiar Aussie
> scent? If so, I definitely can't use it. I
> appreciate the recommendation though!
>
> --
> ***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping
> them up.***
yes, thats the drawback for me too, but it works!
sorry....
bren

Eeen12610357572532 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009
scorpio3813 - Hi there - I have a problem with any kind of scented hairspray and I too prefer non-aerosol hairspray. I've tried a couple and there is one that isn't too bad by Magick Botanicals. I get it from Needs.com. You might also want to look at NationalAllergy.com for one. And if you live need a Wholefoods or Sprouts you may find something. Good luck!:-x

minkbunny126105341026043 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007
> I use Tres Spray Super Hold Hair Spray from Tresemme.
> It is a non-aerosol spray. I love it! Holds well
> l and is non-sticky!
agree....

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.
_______________________________

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

Katharita12610542876639 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008Hooterville, Texas
If you're still going to try a non-aeresol, I love Paul Mitchell Fast-Drying Sculpting Spray. It dries quickly and smells slightly fruity.
--
Kathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrowmindedness."- Mark Twain ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neela12610542911429 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008Fruit Cove, Florida
Hi scorpio3813,
Some other Beauties have already suggested it, and I must agree with TreSemme TresSpray Super Hold Hairspray. It is non-aerosol and is in a tall, slim black bottle. I found this after my beloved Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine changed formulas and it became impossible to remove the white gunk from my hair :_|! I used Freeze and Shine for nearly 20 years, I still miss it sometimes due to this Florida humidity, but the TresSemme is very comparable and I have beeen using it for 2-3 years now...great hold, very little scent, no white junk, and cleanses out easily. I hope you will give it a try as it is always under $5.00!!
Good luck on your search!
All the best, :-xNeela

Gloria12610751844312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> Hi scorpio3813,
>
> Some other Beauties have already suggested it, and I
> must agree with TreSemme TresSpray Super Hold
> Hairspray
. It is non-aerosol and is in a tall,
> slim black bottle. I found this after my beloved
> Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine changed formulas and
> it became impossible to remove the white gunk from my
> hair :_|! I used Freeze and Shine for nearly 20
> years, I still miss it sometimes due to this Florida
> humidity, but the TresSemme is very comparable
> and I have beeen using it for 2-3 years now...great
> hold, very little scent, no white junk, and
> cleanses out easily. I hope you will give it a try
> as it is always under $5.00!!
>
> Good luck on your search!
>
> All the best, :-xNeela
Glad to see so many, like myself, love this product.
I wanted to mention another Tresemme product I use when heat styling (I thought of it this morning and I wanted to recommend it).
I use Tresemme Heat Tamer before any heat styling such as blow drying, hot rollers, etc. It protects the hair, but also adds shine.
Gloria

scorpio381312610777552200 PostsRegistered 3/18/2007Indy
Ladies,
Thanks for ALL of your replies! I'm going to start with the Tresemme suggestion first and if that doesn't work, I'll try the others.
Seems like there are a lot of us out there who are dealing with sensitive eyes/allergy issues. Maybe global warming??? ?:|
Merry Christmas to all!
--
***Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.***

CaChica12610780305883 PostsRegistered 1/13/2006
When I travel I like the small Dove non aerosol hairspray. I sometimes use it when I get home also. It doesn't seem to wet down my style like others.

Sheilaray12610898203703 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
> When I travel I like the small Dove non aerosol
> hairspray. I sometimes use it when I get home also.
> It doesn't seem to wet down my style like others.
I got hooked on this hairspray when I was buying it in travel sizes. It's all I ever use for travel and I have bought I don't know how many bottles of it. Then I realized that I loved it enough to want it every day.
It took awhile to find the full size, but I finally found it in the grocery store. Best non aerosol on the market.

glmama126109123719154 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006
I just recently bought a two-pack of Dove Hairspray (in clear bottles, with bluish hue) at BJs. I don't use a ton of hair spray, and in general I tend to go cheap in this department. I like this so far. It gives a light-medium hold without being sticky or heavy at all.
:)

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

Page 1 of 1