Give Gorgeous
133 Members and 13706 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Petroleum jelly for lips?

Started 1315327088.293 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1315499331.637 by Citychic

I've googled this but am not finding what I need.

Does anyone know if using pj on your lips is harmful?

It feels so good when I put it on, but I don't want this to become addictive.

I've exfoliated my lips occasionally over the last 2-3 weeks but they continue to get flaky - ugh!

Namaste

Page 1 of 2
blondegirl1315327144.131787 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

I use it all of the time because I am allergic to pretty much everything else.

NovaStar1315327632.5871323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

As far as I know, it is safe. I prefer plain shea butter or burt's lip tint.

Firefly31315333657.8071901 PostsRegistered 7/24/2005Va

I use it and it is fine!

nailmaven1315334488.57449 PostsRegistered 8/29/2006

I've used it for over 30 years. That makes me sound so old!

ladyroxanne1315338662.68311005 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

i've always used it myself and no problems!

Indra1315338798.87570 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007NYC

Let me preface the following quote by saying my mother and myself have used vasoline, and other petroleum-based products for years. In fact, my favorite lip products are Carmex, Rose Salve, and C.O. Bigelow's Lip Shine. However, I do remember seeing a Dr. Oz show where the hazards of these type of products were mentioned:

<<

Don't Gloss Over It

What could be more harmless than a little shine on your rosy lips? Well, as it turns out, lots of things, because the shine in lip gloss comes from petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of oil drilling, and when you spread it on your lips, you end up eating it, which is essentially the same as drinking gasoline. Add up the amount of lip gloss the average woman uses (and consumes) over a decade, and it equals 7 pounds. The European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products, and experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer. Women with breast cancer have twice the levels of hydrocarbons (substances found in petroleum jelly) in their breasts than women who haven't had breast cancer.

What to Use Instead

Steer clear of any products that list petroleum jelly or mineral oil on the ingredient list. Choose glosses that look more like lipstick and avoid any that advertise lip "plumping" capabilities, they contain products that irritate your lips to make them swell and look larger. Instead, select products with sunscreen to protect your lips from the carcinogenic effects of the sun (look for zinc oxide on the ingredient list), and glosses made from beeswax, which is completely non-toxic. If you are deeply attached to a petroleum-based gloss, save it for special occasions and use a sunscreen under it to protect your lips.

>>

Nightowlz1315345466.0779737 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You can use castor jelly instead. It's a natural replacement of petrolatum. I read about it in a newsletter I received from Snowdrift Farm. It says on their site Castor jelly is a good barrier to prevent transdermal water loss and drying and cracking of the skin. It can be used as a direct replacement for Petrolatum in a wide variety of applications. Spread it on your lips to prevent wind burn and the drying effects of the sun. Add a bit of flavor oil to it by melting it and then pouring it into lip balm tins. Unlike competitive Un petroleum jellies, it will not lose translucency on melting and resolidifying. Add it to lotions and salves to improve their barrier qualities

Smile

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Missey11315345665.213174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA

There is a product called "un-pertroleum multipurpose jelly" made by Alba. Think you can find it at health food stores and probably other places.

pommom1315346122.613518 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

Thanks for the recs. I'll follow up on them. Smile

Namaste

MopsyGirl1315346125.6032575 PostsRegistered 2/15/2008

I put Vaseline on my lips every night and have never had a problem!

Claybasket1315348673.993173 PostsRegistered 10/12/2010

I would not recommend petroleum jelly on the lips -- too greasy! However, I would recommend Clinque's Repairwear Intensive Lip Treatment ($26). It comes in a tube like lipstick and makes your lips feel like velvet! Go to Nordstrom's web page or Clinque's web page and read the reviews. I purchased this product and love it. It is rather pricey but well worth it~

Hooty1315348833.90719142 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~

Harmful????? If it was I should be dead by now, LOL! I've been using Vaseline on my lips proabably for 50 years!!!Smile

Pixie Jo1315349417.6373511 PostsRegistered 7/4/2009

Why take a chance on using something that is potentially toxic?

In the same way that you can't feel plaque building in your arteries, you may think everything's okay until you have that heart attack. We can't always feel the effects of the harmful things we do to ourselves, but they are nonetheless real.

Pixie Jo

Zcat1315428290.682700 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010Florida
On 9/6/2011 Pixie Jo said:

Why take a chance on using something that is potentially toxic?

In the same way that you can't feel plaque building in your arteries, you may think everything's okay until you have that heart attack. We can't always feel the effects of the harmful things we do to ourselves, but they are nonetheless real.

I agree w Pixie Jo - just because you don't see a problem, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Petroleum jelly is a by-product of petroleum fuel refining. While pure petroleum jelly is considered 'safe', there are often other by-products in your petroleum jelly that aren't listed on the label. These other by-products are suspected carcinogens -- linked to breast cancer.

Europe takes a safer approach to cosmetics than the US. (Europe has banned over 1300 chemicals used in the beauty industry, and the US FDA has only banned 10.) The EU stipulates that petroleum jelly can only be used if no other by-products are present. Since there is no stipulation in the US, you don't know what else might really be present.

I know I can't eliminate all of the harmful chemicals from my life, but I try to avoid the ones that I can. Why slather a potentially poisonous product on your body, when you can just as easily use a natural product? Besides, I think that shea butter (or bees wax, olive oil, jojoba oil...) is much better than petroleum jelly.

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Last edited on 9/7/2011

daisey101315428408.073453 PostsRegistered 3/15/2009

I use it and like it.

GoodStuff1315429969.07315205 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Petrolium products have their place. Vaseline and baby oil are a couple of those old-fashioned beauty products that do so many things so well. Vaseline is great on the lips, great for rough elbows, great for flaky, winter-dry skin. I've been removing eye makeup with baby oil for 40-some years. Simple, tried and true, inexpensive. Love it.

GoodStuff1315430091.95315205 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
On 9/6/2011 Claybasket said:

I would not recommend petroleum jelly on the lips -- too greasy! However, I would recommend Clinque's Repairwear Intensive Lip Treatment ($26). It comes in a tube like lipstick and makes your lips feel like velvet! Go to Nordstrom's web page or Clinque's web page and read the reviews. I purchased this product and love it. It is rather pricey but well worth it~

OMG. I'm going to trash my $2 tub-sized container of generic Vaseline for a $26 tube of fancy-schmancy lip balm?!??! Certainly, you may use and enjoy any lip product you choose. Me? Not in this lifetime! (I do carry generic Chapstick in my purse, if that makes you feel any better.......)

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Claybasket1315460303.637173 PostsRegistered 10/12/2010
On 9/7/2011 GoodStuff said:

OMG. I'm going to trash my $2 tub-sized container of generic Vaseline for a $26 tube of fancy-schmancy lip balm?!??! Certainly, you may use and enjoy any lip product you choose. Me? Not in this lifetime! (I do carry generic Chapstick in my purse, if that makes you feel any better.......)

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Last edited on 9/7/2011

The original poster seemed concerned about using petroleum jelly on her lips and I offered her an alternative. By the way, Clinque is not "fancy-schmancy" (ha! ha!) just a good, solid, safe cosmetic line considered in the industry as medium priced. You would probably like the lip product if you ever decide to try it in your next life! Also, I would feel much better if you carried a purse size container of your generic Vaseline in your purse instead of the generic Chapstick -- for continuity of course!

Dublingrl1315460705.3331407 PostsRegistered 6/1/2008

I use it on my lips every night and they are soft. I also rub it on my cuticles before bedtime.

Citychic1315460786.077608 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

Claybasket,

I use Clinque's lip treatment to, and love it. Aquaphor healing ointment in a tube is great too.

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Claybasket1315461258.957173 PostsRegistered 10/12/2010
On 9/7/2011 Citychic said:

Claybasket,

I use Clinque's lip treatment to, and love it. Aquaphor healing ointment in a tube is great too.

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Thank you, Citychic! I haven't tried the Aquaphor healing ointment but will certainly give it a try, especially with winter weather just around the corner.

Citychic1315462001.863608 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010
On 9/7/2011 Claybasket said:
On 9/7/2011 Citychic said:

Claybasket,

Last edited on 9/7/2011

Thank you, Citychic! I haven't tried the Aquaphor healing ointment but will certainly give it a try, especially with winter weather just around the corner.

You're welcome. The hospital I work at gives tubes of aquaphor to patients. And you're right it's great during the winter months. If I have been on the sailboat for extended time, I reach for the aquaphor. Let me know what you think of it, if you try it!

bunniesand­bees1315462905.181054 PostsRegistered 5/13/2011

For 20 years, I have used PJ at night before bed, and it works great. Just recently I stopped b/c I have so many lip shines to use up! :-)

----------
Save somebunny's life -- adopt a rabbit.
----------
2013 ComPact -- Using up what I have before buying something new

SFGiantsgi­rl1315485519.881170 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010

I don't like using it on my lips it doesn't sink in. It's good for removing eye makeup in a pinch.

StarChild1315495359.391884 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008NYC
On 9/6/2011 Indra said:

Let me preface the following quote by saying my mother and myself have used vasoline, and other petroleum-based products for years. In fact, my favorite lip products are Carmex, Rose Salve, and C.O. Bigelow's Lip Shine. However, I do remember seeing a Dr. Oz show where the hazards of these type of products were mentioned:

<<

Don't Gloss Over It

What could be more harmless than a little shine on your rosy lips? Well, as it turns out, lots of things, because the shine in lip gloss comes from petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of oil drilling, and when you spread it on your lips, you end up eating it, which is essentially the same as drinking gasoline. Add up the amount of lip gloss the average woman uses (and consumes) over a decade, and it equals 7 pounds. The European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products, and experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer. Women with breast cancer have twice the levels of hydrocarbons (substances found in petroleum jelly) in their breasts than women who haven't had breast cancer.

What to Use Instead

Steer clear of any products that list petroleum jelly or mineral oil on the ingredient list. Choose glosses that look more like lipstick and avoid any that advertise lip "plumping" capabilities, they contain products that irritate your lips to make them swell and look larger. Instead, select products with sunscreen to protect your lips from the carcinogenic effects of the sun (look for zinc oxide on the ingredient list), and glosses made from beeswax, which is completely non-toxic. If you are deeply attached to a petroleum-based gloss, save it for special occasions and use a sunscreen under it to protect your lips.

>>

Grr Arrgh! I just found my HG lip product - Essence of Beauty's Lip Butter whose main ingredient is mineral oil and now I shouldn't use it? After many years of searching it was the only product to leave my lips moist and smooth without irritating my lips so I would start biting them. What a dilemma.

Like Jack Benny, I'm 39 and holding ;)

Page 1 of 2