TSV(R) Preview
131 Members and 12120 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What Jennifer Lopez does not use on her face

Started 1310415694.363 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1310830706.237 by ctinaw

During the last show Jennifer Lopez had with Colleen, Colleen told Jennifer that she had beautiful skin and asked what she used. Jennifer said that she does not use scrubs or peels because she thinks they are bad for the skin. She also said that she used a good cleanser recommended by her dermatologist. Unfortunately, she did not say what specific items she used.

On Yahoo I read that a dermatologist said that scrubs are not necessary because the skin naturally exfoliates itself. (Retin A was recommended.) Then, in March I saw my dermatologist I asked her what she thought of peels (because of an article I read about skin cancer). She said that she only uses peels on patients who have had skin cancer on their faces but recommended Tretinoin .05% which I started using.

Finally, last week I was feeling really lazy and for the first time used Youthful Essence scrub without the buffing device. It felt like sandpaper paste! Very rough. I have not used it since.

I am wondering how many of you do not use scrubs or peels? What do you use as an alternative?

Now, I am going to let my very patient son use the computer but will check later for responses. Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2
rockNroll1310415863.997260 PostsRegistered 3/15/2010Pittsburgh, PA

I agree- scrubs can be unnecessarily harsh on skin. If I really want to cleanse my skin I use my cleansing treatment bar (http://www.perriconemd.com/product/skin+care/cleansers/cleansing+treatment+bar.do?sortby=ourPicks). It's nice because it exfoliates a tiny bit without rough scrub.

Lowry831310415973.8973377 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008

Since you have a dermatologist, certainly you should follow her advice.

Personally, I do use various peels and scrubs. My current favorite is ExfoliKate by Kate Somerville (mostly because it is only one step!).

Some people who don't use scrubs or most peels will use an enzyme peel - a liquid that you apply to your face, let it dry and sit for a while, then you generally wash it off, but it is not dangerous if you leave it on overnight. Isomers (sold on ShopNBC and the Isomers website) makes this type of product, but I don't remember the exact name. I've never tried it.

noonedelig­hts1310416248.167494 PostsRegistered 2/6/2007

I think it depends on your skin. I use scrubs. If I don't my skin gets really flaky and ashy looking. The scrubs keep it smooth. I sometimes use a wash cloth to act as a scrub.

Sooner1310417164.02714622 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Scrubs and peels--any of them--do nothing good for my skin and it seems to a great job of exfoliating on its own.

LipstickDi­va1310417326.7637426 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I remember Jennifer said she uses all "clean" products. Nothing synthetic or harsh. I think she uses all natural stuff.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

hippiegirl1310417764.471582 PostsRegistered 9/29/2009Seattle/Kirkland

J-Lo is doing something right because she literally glows. I've never seen skin as good as hers.

I'm going to be 50 in October and HAVE to use Clinique's 7-day scrub at least once every ten days. Older skin just does not renew itself as quickly as young skin. I can tell when my skin needs the scrub. It's very mild, and I do not scrub for long or with very much pressure at all. I have tried going without the 7-day scrub but I end up getting to a point where something's missing from my skincare routine. Sometimes my intervals between using is longer than 10 days, but I never use it daily (like I did when I was younger). I have been using this stuff forever.

I still get frequent compliments on my complexion at the age I am, which surprises me but delights me to no end. Also, I have started taking to getting facials every two months this past year. I get cold facials (no steam, no harsh products, etc.).

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."
Anne Frank

Sparkliie1310417820.363219 PostsRegistered 3/1/2008

I just use a white wash cloth with my facial cleanser. I think the wash cloth helps remove any dead skin cells.

chrystaltr­ee1310417876.58711933 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

I'm 51 and I don't use scrubs or peels. I also don't use fancy (i.e. expensive) cleansers on my face. My skin is better than it has been for years. Granted, I was lucky when they started passing around genes. I always thought that taking off the top layer of your skin probably wasn't a wise thing to do...LOL Treating my skin gently and taking better care of myself seemed to make more sense to me. I take vitamins, get 8-9 hours of sleep, drink a lot of water, I wash with Dove soap and I use an anti ging creme (Avon) at night.

Gooday1310417924.67710206 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008
On 7/11/2011 Sparkliie said:

I just use a white wash cloth with my facial cleanser. I think the wash cloth helps remove any dead skin cells.

I agree

Visaqueen1310417967.29244 PostsRegistered 1/29/2007Suffragette City

I need the acne control of a good anti-acne wash - neutrogena is the best I have found. My oily acne-prone skin responds very well to some exfoliation (but not too much, it is also sensitive). Professional microdermabrasion once a month and a once or twice weekly wash with my clarisonic works for me!

Scrubs and chemicals are too harsh for my skin.

I have a fever . . . and the only cure . . . is more COWBELL!

Nightowlz1310418105.9739389 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I like to use a little brown sugar or regular sugar with some honey as a scrub. I massage it on my face & let it set about 5-10 mins & rinse off. It's sticky but makes my face feel really smooth. Makeup sure goes on so much easier after using. I have been using PTR Retinol Fusion PM & some Alpha Hydrox Res Q & their wipes.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

naturalfan1310421246.2234249 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I think if you have thick, oily, breakout prone skin, you need to sometimes jumpstart your skin. Maybe it starts a viscious cycle though. If I don't exfoliate every so often, my skin is sort of cloudy and muddy looking but I do have thick, oily skin.

winamac11310421584.08330387 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 7/11/2011 Dosey said:

During the last show Jennifer Lopez had with Colleen, Colleen told Jennifer that she had beautiful skin and asked what she used. Jennifer said that she does not use scrubs or peels because she thinks they are bad for the skin. She also said that she used a good cleanser recommended by her dermatologist. Unfortunately, she did not say what specific items she used.

On Yahoo I read that a dermatologist said that scrubs are not necessary because the skin naturally exfoliates itself. (Retin A was recommended.) Then, in March I saw my dermatologist I asked her what she thought of peels (because of an article I read about skin cancer). She said that she only uses peels on patients who have had skin cancer on their faces but recommended Tretinoin .05% which I started using.

Finally, last week I was feeling really lazy and for the first time used Youthful Essence scrub without the buffing device. It felt like sandpaper paste! Very rough. I have not used it since.

I am wondering how many of you do not use scrubs or peels? What do you use as an alternative?

Now, I am going to let my very patient son use the computer but will check later for responses. Thanks everyone!

My derm who trained at Mayo also does not recommend scrubs or the Clairisonic. She said women exfoliate far too harshly. She doesn't mind me using peel pads, and she is a huge proponent for Retin A or Refissa. I haven't used scrubs in years. I think they cause enlarged pores and broken capillaries. Some are far too harsh. She doesn't recommend that Philosophy scrub or the SSC one (I've shown her them).

My skin looks fabulous for my age with a mild cleanser, Clinique makeup remover, Retin A, occasional use of PTR or Dr. Gross peel pads and some of PTR's night products--i.e. Unwrinkle or Laser Free Resurfacer.

Last edited on 7/11/2011

Last edited on 7/11/2011

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

MaggieGF1310423339.19536 PostsRegistered 3/25/2010

I have very oily skin and if I don't exfoliate a couple of times a week I become more prone to breakouts and blackheads. My face feels so much cleaner after exfoliating. Peels work for me too, but they cost so much more than a basic drugstore scrub and I think the results are pretty much the same so I pretty much stick to the scrub.

palmtreepr­incess1310442453.987349 PostsRegistered 6/15/2011100% floridian... tampa, florida

i love scrubs, peels and masks... all scrubs have a different consistancy, but you do need to help your skin with exfoliation... i use them all the time and my skin is fine! you have to get the dead skin cells off or you will look dull and your pores will clog, just do not over exfoliate, that can lead to over oil production and that leads to zits!

~disney world and seaworld are my 2nd home~ i am a true floridian girl and proud of it! ~~CAYLEE MARIE ANTHONY~~ YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN, SWEET ANGEL... x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0

depglass1310479734.42323697 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

My skin just feels "rough" without an occasional scrub.

Subject1310480052.34311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

Oh please. Jennifer L. has well paid team of skincare experts doing her face on a daily and weekly basis. Nothing that the normal human could afford. Like she is going to tell Colleen that. Botox and fillers - there you go.

Kat 131310480592.407858 PostsRegistered 7/6/2011

Hi

On another post, Someone said that JL uses
Tarte Full Coverage foundation in the Tan Shade.....

I use the Fair shade and I can now see why JL uses this foundation....

It covers EVERYTHING , has no icky stuff in it and doesn't feel like anything
is on your face !!

Love It !!

bow regard1310480762.5573710 PostsRegistered 4/16/2009...the Long & Winding road.....
On 7/11/2011 Gooday said:
On 7/11/2011 Sparkliie said:

I agree

This is what I do too.....

wendydarli­ng1310482058.607646 PostsRegistered 1/15/2009

I heard J. Lopez say that she doesn't use scrubs or peels. But i've also read that she practically bathes in La Mer so w/ her money/resources, she has access to the world's finest skincare & estheticians/cosmetic doctors. She very well may be able to skip those procedures by doing other things. One thing is for sure, she will treat herself to the very best. Honestly, if i were in her place, i would too. Who doesn't want to look their best?

Subject1310482556.5111269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 7/12/2011 wendydarling said:

I heard J. Lopez say that she doesn't use scrubs or peels. But i've also read that she practically bathes in La Mer so w/ her money/resources, she has access to the world's finest skincare & estheticians/cosmetic doctors. She very well may be able to skip those procedures by doing other things. One thing is for sure, she will treat herself to the very best. Honestly, if i were in her place, i would too. Who doesn't want to look their best?

especially when you are voted THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD. I mean that is a lot of stress to endure when you are at the top of your game. A lot is expected of you.

betsyblue1310486011.69215 PostsRegistered 5/1/2007

I have been under the care of a dermatologist since 2005 to try to rid my skin of sun damage. For me, she recommends chemical peels every month or 6-weeks. I cleanse my face only at night with my Clarisonic (which my derm recommends!) and either a glycolic acid wash from the derm or Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash or the new Natural one. I also use Renova (tretinoin product) at night and Prevage MD in the morning, followed by whatever moisturizer I am using that day - tinted moisturizer for summer (I really love Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer in Warm) and Avene Hydrance in the winter. Been working for me!! I will say that due to spending money at the derm's office, I really do steer clear of a lot of the products hyped on QVC (Perricone, PTR, etc.) as my derm promises me that what she has prescribed is the best for my skin!

shoptillId­rop1310486181.6939399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

Hi Dosey, I use Perricone products and Dr. Perricone also says he doesn't believe in using peels and scrubs.

I still use a peel pad every other day though. No scrubs.

I tried being patient but it took too long.

Bird mama1310486290.6579779 PostsRegistered 3/24/2009Michigan

I use Aveeno positively radiant cleansing pads a couple of times a week. It gets the crud out and doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and dried out.

~ bird ~

beauty jun­kie1310486810.498288 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

I think she is one of the most beautiful women with skin that is so gorgeous.She just glows.Love her coloring too,that tawny color that I can only dream of having.When she was a fly girl on In living color she did not have that skin,so money does help immensley.Whatever she is doing, it is certainly working.

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

Page 1 of 2