Maxi Dresses
134 Members and 8971 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Hair color for men

Started 1309572623.203 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1316246691.713 by doglover3

My DH would like to color his greying hair and asked for my help/advice. I really don't know anything about hair color for men, so I'm turning to my most trusted source for beauty advice - this board.{#emotions_dlg.wub} Do any of you have significant others who have used hair coloring? Do you have any recommendation? Thanks for your help!

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

Page 1 of 2
Nightowlz1309574794.3938863 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have bought Just for Men for hubby before. His hair looked pretty good after using it. He needs to use it again because I really don't like his white hair. Gray hair would be ok with me but his white hair is awful. His hair turned white at an early age. They have to adjust the camera when they take his picture for drivers license & it makes his face really red after the adjustment.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

shoesnbags1309611323.6072883 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans

My DH isn't even 50/50 gray yet, but he doesn't like it. How long did the Just for Men color last? He swims every day and I know that will shorten the length of time any color lasts, but I'm wondering what's average.

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

absmile11309615071.98168 PostsRegistered 9/30/2006Ohio

My husband used a few things before finding one that was natural looking.

He used just for men...but it was too much, if you know what I mean...anyhow we found "touch of grey" in the store beside the just for men. It was great. Very easy to do...I would do it for him though. Leave it on about 3-5 minutes and your done. It would not completely cover all the grey...but it looked very natural...and he did look younger. He would have to do it about every 6 weeks or so (his hair is short too...so would normally do it again after a haircut). It will not wash out or fade.

50 fair skin/ hazel eyes/ med brown hair with light carmel highlights ...layered, below shoulders, med. texture, natural wave

shoesnbags1309623297.3872883 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans

Hmmm. I like that 'touch of grey' is permanent, but I think he wants all of the grey gone. Guess maybe we should try both (at different times lol) and see which one he likes best. Thanks for the help, ladies! Anyone else have any suggestions before we take the plunge and do this?

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

momcat1309624462.6175884 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

I'm reading this post and thinking - I don't know any men using hair color. I can't even imagine my husband using hair color. I've always colored my hair and I've asked him if he wanted to do the same, and he laughed. I actually like the idea, but really I can't see my husband keeping it up, and I have enough to do without getting into his grooming routine. I don't buy his clothes for the same reason. Poor fella has to fend for himself. lol

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

shoesnbags1309625614.9272883 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans
On 7/2/2011 momcat said:

I'm reading this post and thinking - I don't know any men using hair color. I can't even imagine my husband using hair color. I've always colored my hair and I've asked him if he wanted to do the same, and he laughed. I actually like the idea, but really I can't see my husband keeping it up, and I have enough to do without getting into his grooming routine. I don't buy his clothes for the same reason. Poor fella has to fend for himself. lol

Interesting that you mention it, because my DH is generally not into fashion, grooming, etc. He's a very low maintenance type. But for some reason the grey is bothering him, and I'm happy to have him do something about it if he wants to. He may do it once and not keep it up, as you said. We'll see.

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

Kristinemmk1309635046.00756 PostsRegistered 7/28/2008

I'm of the firm belief that if he wants his hair fully colored, then he should get it done professionally. Have him go to a hair stylist. I know many men that I have worked with and even my brother-in-law that get their hair colored - they all get theirs done professionally. They usually get it done when they get their hair cut.

shoesnbags1309720232.4072883 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans

I would never have thought of that. He could ask about it the next time he gets his hair cut. Of course, if they tell him that they don't do coloring, I know that he'll never change where he goes for haircuts! Thanks for a professional point of view.Smile

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

ankamommy1309729991.54778 PostsRegistered 11/15/2010

My BF uses Just For Men and it covers his grey completely. He does it regularly on his own and it looks very natural, but he has gorgeous dark wavy hair (gotta love those Italian genes!) so that helps to conceal the regrowth. Also it is an easy color to match. No one would ever guess that he colors it and it makes him look much younger-- I would say at least 5 years, probably more. He started going grey pretty young and is more than 50% there now in his early 40's.

TY1309734178.83814 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007

Clairol's Natural Instincts for Men (that has larger disposable gloves) or the regular Natural Instincts for Men is what I use to color my husband's hair. He doesn't have a lot of gray hair so that semi permanent brand works well for him. He uses a dark brown shade on his black hair and leaves the color on for about 40 minutes (not the 10 minutes that is the suggested time before rinsing the color out. It takes half a box to color his short hair. I color his hair about every two months or so.

bigsister1309735070.2035104 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

Check out a product called YOUTH HAIR. My husband used it and it worked well. It is a cream in a plastic bottle. You rub a little bit through your hair and it will begin to take away the gray. The more often you use it, the more gray is gone. He can control how often he uses it, daily or weekly, for instance. Google it or search it out and see if it is available.

Last edited on 7/5/2011

Last edited on 7/5/2011

shoesnbags1309823221.3872883 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans

Ladies, thanks for all of the suggestions. We'll check all of them out. Bigsister, I'm going to Google YOUTH HAIR right now!

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

bigsister1309847763.2335104 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California

shoesnbags, I just googled YOUTH HAIR and there are lots of sites. Did you find some? It really is unbelievable how easy it does the job of taking away the gray and leaving your natural color.

doglover31309848727.2279216 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 7/3/2011 bigsister said:

Check out a product called YOUTH HAIR. My husband used it and it worked well. It is a cream in a plastic bottle. You rub a little bit through your hair and it will begin to take away the color. The more often you use it, the more grey is gone. He can control how often he uses it, daily or weekly, for instance. Google it or search it out and see if it is available.

that is what my neighbor uses and gets it at Sally's. He said he put it in every day till the color appeared than just have to do it once or twice a week at most once you get the desired color. You can't get it wet for 20 minutes after you do it. My DH said I should pick a bottle up for him to do around the hair line. It is very natural looking, gets a nice light to medium brown on my neighbor so think DH would like it after finding out this is what the neighbor uses and no grey hair anymore. I would think this would be the easiest for them to do plus is very natural looking and no growing out look.

bigsister1309849091.495104 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010Southern California
On 7/5/2011 doglover3 said:
On 7/3/2011 bigsister said:

Check out a product called YOUTH HAIR. My husband used it and it worked well. It is a cream in a plastic bottle. You rub a little bit through your hair and it will begin to take away the color. The more often you use it, the more grey is gone. He can control how often he uses it, daily or weekly, for instance. Google it or search it out and see if it is available.

that is what my neighbor uses and gets it at Sally's. He said he put it in every day till the color appeared than just have to do it once or twice a week at most once you get the desired color. You can't get it wet for 20 minutes after you do it. My DH said I should pick a bottle up for him to do around the hair line. It is very natural looking, gets a nice light to medium brown on my neighbor so think DH would like it after finding out this is what the neighbor uses and no grey hair anymore. I would think this would be the easiest for them to do plus is very natural looking and no growing out look.

You are so right. It never looks like you "colored" your hair because you didn't. It's a great product. I'm sure women could use it also.

RitasDaugh­ter1309849095.571046 PostsRegistered 7/10/2006San Francisco

Saturate his hair with 10 volumn peroxide for about 8 to 10 minutes & then shampoo it all out, before using anything. Softens those gray & white hairs, makes 'em easier to color!

Desertdi1309864534.98714760 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

married a baldie

paShar1309867061.5071737 PostsRegistered 1/14/2006Western Pennsylvania
On 7/5/2011 Desertdi said:

married a baldie

Reminds me of something I heard another baldie say a few years ago........

"God only made a few perfect heads. The rest, He covered with hair" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Shar

Vamp1309867720.58711151 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

I have never understood why men's hair color would be any different from women's hair color. Can someone enlighten me? I realize there are some colors they make for women that are a little too out there for most men, but is there a significant difference in the formula that they need to have a different product?

Not trying to be controversial; I really don't know.

To the OP: I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I don't have anything to add. My husband is perfectly fine with his greying hair. I can't even get him to use hand lotion! {#emotions_dlg.blink}

shoesnbags1309869135.272883 PostsRegistered 6/26/2007New Orleans

Actually, we're leaning towards good ole Clairol Nice & Easy at this point. When googling Youth Hair I found a lot of info about LEAD in all of the comb-in men's products (Youth Hair, Grecian Formula, etc.) They are banned in Europe and Canada. That scared us off. DH didn't want to take any chances just for the sake of vanity. I suggested a women's product that would not be permanent, in case he doesn't like the result. Again, thanks for all of the suggestions!Smile

Shoes
"I shop the planet "
(courtesy of Sox2)

doglover31309893019.2539216 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

if not youth hair I would recommend Revlon's Color Silk which I use on my brother in law and myself.

doglover31316114613.969216 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I ordered the new NO LEAD Youth Hair on their website. It is more expensive than the regular one with lead but is safer. My friends husband has been using this for years so I thought I would try some for my DH without the lead. It says NEW NO LEAD right on the very top lid of the box and on the front it says professional formula. I bought 6 and got one free. I gave one to my friend for her husband to try and she said this is much stronger, colors much faster and her DH likes it much better. I thought I would post since I remember a post about this a little while back and some said they didn't like it because of the lead in it so, this one doesn't have any lead. I don't know if this is available in stores or not but like I said, I got it on their website. It took 7 days to come.

I think I am going to try this on my part area and see how it works for me there. I can go 4 to 6 weeks if I use my Mimic(HSN) on my part area. Why spend on a root touch up when it costs the same as a regular hair color. I also have Joan's bad hair day powder but that is messy, powder colors my scalp which I don't like, doesn't look natural so I prefer the HSN Mimic, is a cream. I don't particularly care for the brush that comes with it so I use a swivel up brush I had and just swivel it up a little bit and apply. I just put it on the brush and go down along my part from either front to back or back to front, don't go down from top to sides as they show, takes much longer and uses much more product. I am hoping this new no lead professional formula youth hair will do the trick for my part area, all I need so should last a long time.

BTW I paid $9 something for $3.75 ounces where my friend got a tube more than twice this size for $8 at Sally's but has lead in it. Am hoping once the public starts getting acquainted with this no lead one they will make it in the larger size tube as well and cut the price, hoping.

This one says to wash you hair and put it on slightly damp hair using a comb or brush. Do it 2 or 3 times a week till the desired affect is reached than only once a week at most. HTH

doglover31316114650.7239216 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I ordered the new NO LEAD Youth Hair on their website. It is more expensive than the regular one with lead but is safer. My friends husband has been using this for years so I thought I would try some for my DH without the lead. It says NEW NO LEAD right on the very top lid of the box and on the front it says professional formula. I bought 6 and got one free. I gave one to my friend for her husband to try and she said this is much stronger, colors much faster and her DH likes it much better. I thought I would post since I remember a post about this a little while back and some said they didn't like it because of the lead in it so, this one doesn't have any lead. I don't know if this is available in stores or not but like I said, I got it on their website. It took 7 days to come.

I think I am going to try this on my part area and see how it works for me there. I can go 4 to 6 weeks if I use my Mimic(HSN) on my part area. Why spend on a root touch up when it costs the same as a regular hair color. I also have Joan's bad hair day powder but that is messy, powder colors my scalp which I don't like, doesn't look natural so I prefer the HSN Mimic, is a cream. I don't particularly care for the brush that comes with it so I use a swivel up brush I had and just swivel it up a little bit and apply. I just put it on the brush and go down along my part from either front to back or back to front, don't go down from top to sides as they show, takes much longer and uses much more product. I am hoping this new no lead professional formula youth hair will do the trick for my part area, all I need so should last a long time.

BTW I paid $9 something for $3.75 ounces where my friend got a tube more than twice this size for $8 at Sally's but has lead in it. Am hoping once the public starts getting acquainted with this no lead one they will make it in the larger size tube as well and cut the price, hoping.

This one says to wash you hair and put it on slightly damp hair using a comb or brush. Do it 2 or 3 times a week till the desired affect is reached than only once a week at most. HTH

doglover31316114700.4679216 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

doglover31316114712.1779216 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Page 1 of 2