TSV(R) Preview
114 Members and 10104 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Why is the CHI better than my $24 Revlon flat iron? Really Need Input Ladies...

Started 1308940781.58 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1309013629.06 by Sabear

It's a big purchase and I want to take the plunge but I'm curious what makes flat irons different? Aren't they all the same? My hair gets frizzy and burned with my revlon is CHI going to do the same? Advise is much appreciated :-)

Page 1 of 2
CAT FAN1308941608.953685 PostsRegistered 7/19/2010Home of the Kentucky Wildcats

I have thick, dry, naturally curly hair and did not want to spend lots of money on a good flat iron but knew I needed one. I was using a $24 Revlon one too. I read a thread on the beauty forum where several people recommended the Hot and Silky Tourmaline flat iron by Hot Tools. I bought one at Sally's. It was on sale for $39.99 and I had a 15% coupon from my previous purchase. This flat iron is really doing a good job on my hair. I flat iron everyday. I also purchased at Sally's some One and Only Brazilian Blow Out Deep Conditioning Treatment. You put it on your hair after shampooing and conditioning for 1 -3 minutes. This stuff is great. I use it about 2 times a week. I purchased (Walmart) some Organix Ever Straight Brazilian Flat Iron Spray to use with it and I do not have any frizz (before I bought it I thought I was going to have to shave my head and start over) and my hair looks silky, very straight and does not feel or look damaged from heat and color. You can use it (flat iron spray) on individual sections as opposed to having to hold the product spray far away from your hair and then spray. I hope this helps.

CAT FAN1308941688.24685 PostsRegistered 7/19/2010Home of the Kentucky Wildcats

One more thing....I have wondered if maybe I needed to use a higher heat setting when I was using my Revlon flat iron. I will say that I do not feel like my $40 flat iron has pulled or tugged on my hair at all.

BESwede1308942462.2036218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

The more expensive one isn't any better- it's just a "premium" brand name. I've had two CHI brand and they don't do any better and didnt last any longer than the less expensive ones. My stylist recommended "Hot Tools" which he uses in his shop and said they last longer and perform as well or better than even the pricey professional brands he can get. Also found out many of the brands are identical in their components and even made in the same place, just with different brand names put on them so the quality is no different on one brand to another. I got the 1/2 inch ceramic iron (about $50) and it works beautifully to leave my hair silky, smooth and shiny with no damage or frizz. I use a thermal styling spray (Kenra) which helps protect my hair as well as adding shine and also works as my styling and finishing spray. "Hot Tools" come in numerous sizes and varieties and can be found in Ulta.

47, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

robbie1308942838.227480 PostsRegistered 2/9/2005

Well I don't know if my response will help all that much because I very rarely use my iron; however, I have a clairol infinity that I spent about $40.00 at costco that I think does a better job (for straightening my hair) but that is just my opinion.

I stated on an earlier thread that I can't seem to get the hang of the iron - I have no idea how to make curls with it so I'm not sure if the infinity is capable of doing the same things a chi can do. It is a good price, and easy pay is always nice. Also, you can return it to qvc if you don't like it.

cocomo1308943321.6508 PostsRegistered 1/25/2007Dallas

Temperature

Catwoman1308943629.791062 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006

Do the cheaper ones have the rounded edges? I looked at a few of them in the store, and they seemed to be very flat. I already have stick straight hair, but I bought the TSV because I'm hoping I'll be able to use it to get a bit of volume and a little curl.

Pepper1308943689.683680 PostsRegistered 1/2/2005

Thank you all for your responses. Why do people say their hair comes out shinier with this? My hair with the Revlon comes out frizzy and burned. Does the CHI have "special" plates?

CAT FAN1308945107.837685 PostsRegistered 7/19/2010Home of the Kentucky Wildcats

The Hot and Silky that I bought at Sally's has tourmaline, and rounded floating plates for curling or ironing. My hair is definitely shinier since I started using this iron.

I had a CHI a few years ago and I paid $150 for it. It lasted for about 3 years before tearing up and it did not do a better job than the one I have now.

If your hair is coming out frizzy and burned you may be doing something wrong. I do take time to deep condition my hair at least twice a week and I put oil on the ends for about 15 - 20 minutes at least one time a week before I take my shower. Maybe your hair just needs some tlc. I also use a leave in conditioner.

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Last edited on 6/24/2011

LipstickDi­va1308948246.2838712 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I can only tell you that before I took the plunge and bought my professional flat iron, I bought a "cheapy" Revlon. I have thin, fine hair. The iron didn't clamp closed so that the plates actually met, there was a gap between them so my hair just slid right back out of the flat iron. It was $25.00 wasted for me.

The next one I bought I paid $70.00 for and the plates had catches on them that snagged my hair. $95.00 plus tax wasted on those irons that I should have just put towards buying a more expensive one to begin with.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Jazzigyrl1308952348.91378 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey

The difference is the metal. It's like comparing 14Karat Clad to 14Karat. The cheaper brands that claim to be ceramic are only ceramic coated. The coating wears off in time, and then begins to do the same damage that a regular flat iron does. The expensive brands have SOLID ceramic plates. This means that your strands are 100% protected against heat damage that other metals can cause.

I have a $450 FHI Heat Runway Flat Iron which is TOP of the line. It's even better than the $225 SEDU that I had years ago. The Hot Tools that I used back in the early 2000's isn't even relevant. LOL

I am African American with unrelaxed hair. My hair is naturally curly - tight spring curls. I wash, condition, blowdry, and flat iron my hair once every 2-3 weeks, and I don't have to flat iron in between washes. This is even through rainy, and humid weather. My hair is perfectly healthy. The flat iron does ZERO damage. I haven't even had a trim in about 3 years. I only have to go over my hair once with the plates at about 420 degrees, and I'm done in about 30 minutes. It's the best!

Trust me, the cost makes all of the difference!

BTW, I would say the best flat irons are the following, and in this order:

1. FHI Heat - www.fhiheat.com - Best model is Runway

2. SEDU - www.sedubeauty.com - You can also purchase from Folica.com, and read thousands of reviews.

3. CHI - Also at Folica.com

Now, as far as a blowdryer... I am super loyal to the CHI Rocket! Wow! That thing is a BEAST on hair!

Here are some before and afters:

Best Wishes,

Jazzigyrl

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Jazzigyrl1308954090.06378 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey

Oh, and anyone who is considering the CHI, I strongly suggest you go to Folica.com and read the reviews first. There are thousands of them! lol

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

scottygal1308955492.7771851 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

WOW! Thanx Jazzigyrl. Your hair is amazing!!!!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

winamac11308955634.03330971 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 6/24/2011 Jazzigyrl said:

The difference is the metal. It's like comparing 14Karat Clad to 14Karat. The cheaper brands that claim to be ceramic are only ceramic coated. The coating wears off in time, and then begins to do the same damage that a regular flat iron does. The expensive brands have SOLID ceramic plates. This means that your strands are 100% protected against heat damage that other metals can cause.

I have a $450 FHI Heat Runway Flat Iron which is TOP of the line. It's even better than the $225 SEDU that I had years ago. The Hot Tools that I used back in the early 2000's isn't even relevant. LOL

I am African American with unrelaxed hair. My hair is naturally curly - tight spring curls. I wash, condition, blowdry, and flat iron my hair once every 2-3 weeks, and I don't have to flat iron in between washes. This is even through rainy, and humid weather. My hair is perfectly healthy. The flat iron does ZERO damage. I haven't even had a trim in about 3 years. I only have to go over my hair once with the plates at about 420 degrees, and I'm done in about 30 minutes. It's the best!

2. SEDU - www.sedubeauty.com - You can also purchase from Folica.com, and read thousands of reviews.

Now, as far as a blowdryer... I am super loyal to the CHI Rocket! Wow! That thing is a BEAST on hair!

Best Wishes,

Jazzigyrl

Last edited on 6/24/2011

OMG-that "after" hair is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited on 6/25/2011

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

Jazzigyrl1308955856.8378 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 Pepper said:

Thank you all for your responses. Why do people say their hair comes out shinier with this? My hair with the Revlon comes out frizzy and burned. Does the CHI have "special" plates?

The tourmaline makes it come out shinier. I post picts in this thread in my post before this one. Check them out.

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Jazzigyrl1308955943.51378 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 scottygal said:

WOW! Thanx Jazzigyrl. Your hair is amazing!!!!{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Thank you, Scotty! :)

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Jazzigyrl1308956030.20778 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 winamac1 said:

OMG-that "after" hair is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Winamac! :)

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Vamp1308956531.56311599 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

Best Wishes,

Jazzigyrl

Last edited on 6/24/2011

I like your hair both ways, but the "after" is really a wow. Impressive what the flat iron can do. Your hair looks so soft & shiny in the 2nd pic.

Last edited on 6/25/2011

RawkinFood­ie1308956730.833147 PostsRegistered 6/19/2009

Jazzigyrl, I'd like to thank you for your post. The folks on the TSV presentation make it sound like they are the first ones with this Titanium technology. After visiting the Folica website I see that there are tons! And for cheaper than this TSV. I've owned the Maxiglide for a couple of years now and generally like the results. What peaked my interest on the TSV was the Titanium and the shine promise. Somehow I stubled on the QVC reviews for this item before it was a TSV and it only got 3 1/2 stars. It's mixed. I know CHI is popular but now I am not as willing to jump.

FTR, I have mid back length, medium naturally wavy hair. I switched to sulfate-free products last summer (Pureology) and for the last month or so have been using WEN. I have been able to blowdry my hair every other day with much less frizz than I had when I was using regular shampoo, but it's still there (especially on humid days). Still working on the correct WEN flavor (been using Sweet Almond and Pomegranite) and now waiting to get the Fig next week. Between the fig and the Titanium I'd figure I'd be golden.

Jazzigyrl1308956769.65778 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 Vamp said:

(see initial reply)

Best Wishes,

Jazzigyrl

Last edited on 6/24/2011

I like your hair both ways, but the "after" is really a wow. Impressive what the flat iron can do. Your hair looks so soft & shiny in the 2nd pic.

Thanks! I don't know what I would do without my flat iron. FHI had stop making the Runway for about 2 years. Everytime you call, they would say, 2 more months until the relaunch. Finally, I bought it from drugstore.com, but I am soooooo happy they are selling it again just incase I need a new one! LOL

Last edited on 6/25/2011

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

mojofilter1308957164.2532151 PostsRegistered 3/15/2009

Jazzigyrl, I agree with everyone else, your hair is gorgeous!

Whenever I hear someone say that there is no difference between a professional flat iron and a drug store brand, I tell them that they are lucky because that means they don't NEED a professional flat iron. As for me, I'll happily fork over the extra cash for guaranteed good hair days and all the time saved not having to go over every section of my curly, thick hair five times with the iron! Actually, my T3 flat iron bit the dust last month and I had to use my "emergency" back up iron until my new Babyliss arrived... it was so frustrating dealing with the snagging, pulling, and general ineffectiveness that I was nearly in tears!

Love the Babyliss, by the way, and it's actually a bit cheaper than the CHI TSV, but I can't say how well it volumizes, as my goal in life is to de-volumize my hair! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Jazzigyrl1308957516.9278 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 RawkinFoodie said:

Jazzigyrl, I'd like to thank you for your post. The folks on the TSV presentation make it sound like they are the first ones with this Titanium technology. After visiting the Folica website I see that there are tons! And for cheaper than this TSV. I've owned the Maxiglide for a couple of years now and generally like the results. What peaked my interest on the TSV was the Titanium and the shine promise. Somehow I stubled on the QVC reviews for this item before it was a TSV and it only got 3 1/2 stars. It's mixed. I know CHI is popular but now I am not as willing to jump.

FTR, I have mid back length, medium naturally wavy hair. I switched to sulfate-free products last summer (Pureology) and for the last month or so have been using WEN. I have been able to blowdry my hair every other day with much less frizz than I had when I was using regular shampoo, but it's still there (especially on humid days). Still working on the correct WEN flavor (been using Sweet Almond and Pomegranite) and now waiting to get the Fig next week. Between the fig and the Titanium I'd figure I'd be golden.

Yeah, I never tried CHI because of the mixed reviews on the Folica site. I need for it to have at least four stars in order to make the purchase. LOL I don't how shiny the CHI will get you, but the FHI that I use gives great shine! Also, the SEDU that I mentioned (that I had some years ago) gives great shine with no product. It's about $120 on Folica (depending on the size you choose). It really was a great flat iron. The reason I like my FHI better is because my hair is now unrelaxed. So, I needed something stronger. Back when I had the SEDU, I had relaxed hair. That means that it was chemically processed to be straight already, so I only needed the flat iron to tame it after blowdrying. (If you have european hair) I think something like the SEDU would be fine for you, since it's totally different than my African American hair. :)

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Kiss my mu­tt1308957630.111314 PostsRegistered 12/31/2006

Yes, Jazzigyrl-you're hair looks great!!!

I have used so many different flat irons from Revlon to Chi to GHD but my favorite so far has been the T3 one pass iron from Sephora. Of course it doen'st work in one pass on my crazy hair but it really does a nice job with little damage. I think it was $169.

Also tried the Instyler. POS.

Jazzigyrl1308957736.03378 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 mojofilter said:

Jazzigyrl, I agree with everyone else, your hair is gorgeous!

Whenever I hear someone say that there is no difference between a professional flat iron and a drug store brand, I tell them that they are lucky because that means they don't NEED a professional flat iron. As for me, I'll happily fork over the extra cash for guaranteed good hair days and all the time saved not having to go over every section of my curly, thick hair five times with the iron! Actually, my T3 flat iron bit the dust last month and I had to use my "emergency" back up iron until my new Babyliss arrived... it was so frustrating dealing with the snagging, pulling, and general ineffectiveness that I was nearly in tears!

Love the Babyliss, by the way, and it's actually a bit cheaper than the CHI TSV, but I can't say how well it volumizes, as my goal in life is to de-volumize my hair! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Thank you! :) Babyliss! I had a Babyliss as my back up to my SEDU, prior to my FHI. I loved it, except it snagged a little and left a burning smell! LOL That smell lingered everywhere I went. Someone recommended that I use a lower setting, but then it would be ineffective altogether. LOL

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Last edited on 6/24/2011

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Jazzigyrl1308957880.9378 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011New Jersey
On 6/24/2011 Lecia said:

Yes, Jazzigyrl-you're hair looks great!!!

I have used so many different flat irons from Revlon to Chi to GHD but my favorite so far has been the T3 one pass iron from Sephora. Of course it doen'st work in one pass on my crazy hair but it really does a nice job with little damage. I think it was $169.

Also tried the Instyler. POS.

Thanks, Lecia! I always wondered how that Instyler would work, but I could just see my little curls getting caught up in that barrel. LOL

Best Wishes,
Jazzigyrl

Icegoddess1308967922.51638 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

I don't know. I guess FHI has several different irons at a huge price point range. I have one that I probably paid about $30 - $40 for several years ago. It's a ceramic one. I only use the mid-range temp on it because I have fine hair, so I don't need the high temperature. I only do my bangs anyway, so I'm not spending $100 up for a flat iron.

Page 1 of 2