Just-Reduced Clearance
16 Members and 15145 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Would Retin A cause breakouts?

Started 1308696517.043 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1308767173.733 by nailgirlxoxo

I have never had acne or bad skin but at 56 now suffer with clogged pores.My derm put me on retin A every other night for anti aging and the pore issue.Its been about 6 weeks or so and my skin has never looked worse.My chin is so broken out,its a mess.I stopped using my JM argan oil thinking that was the culprit but still a lumpy mess.I would appreciate any help,thanks.

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

Page 1 of 1
CalmInTheH­eart1308696822.0877626 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

I'm 57. I quit using it for that very reason. My skin looked horrible....clogged pores, break outs, ruddy-ish. It took about a month to recover after I quit using it.

Last edited on 6/21/2011

Last edited on 6/21/2011

Peace

Skylands1308697067.756622 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010

I feel your pain beauty junkiie. Retin A wouldn't cause your skin to break out. I've used it for many, many years and not had break outs from it. It does get rid of the surface dead skin cells. Great to clean out pores!

I've suffered acne my entire life, even now. What works for me is Proactiv. Use it once at night only with my MIA. No more break-outs for me. It's pretty individual to find what works best for each person. But, I'd go back to your derm before you take our advise. We're not the experts. Best of luck to you.

ladyroxanne1308697160.76311017 PostsRegistered 3/25/2008northern ca

retin a comes in a gel form which can be very drying and the cream which is an emollient. if you are using the cream, it is possible that it is causing your problem. if so, i would switch to the gel formula. that would dry it right up.

don't forget, originally retin a was used to treat acne. it should not be breaking out your skin, but the cream may be too rich for you.

brewhaha1308697297.7648274 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

It gets worse before it gets better. Don't abandon the ship.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

beauty jun­kie1308697631.1938433 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

Thanks for your help.I am going to have to go see the derm again.My skin looks dry and flaky with blemishes on the chin.The gel would be way to dry for my skin.Appreciate the input.

ValentinaB­on1308699297.6076934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

Since your skin is also flakey and dry where your blemishes are, that means you are overdrying your skin (usually by using too much Retin A or using too high of a concentration for your skin) and that will cause breakouts and may be the culprit, not the retin A itself.

Make sure you are using a tiny, tiny amount for your whole face (the less the better with Retin A). If you are using a tiny amount already, then you might want to scale back to using it only once or twice a week until your skin adjusts before bumping it up to every other night. Also, you may ask your derm for a lower concentration (%) of retin a to try out and then slowly build up to a higher one if your skin can tolerate it.

HTH!

ETA: I actually use Retin A to HELP my acne, which it has, once I figured out the right amount and concentration for my skin.

Last edited on 6/21/2011

Last edited on 6/21/2011

DUH....WENing! :)

Southern F­ried Chick1308699333.017310 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

Retin-A broke me out when I first started it (I use the cream base) and after about a month, my skin cleared up and I haven't had the problem again. The gel might be too strong for you, but you can ask your derm about that to make sure. I agree with brewhaha, sometimes things get worse before they get better.

HTH

SFC

beauty jun­kie1308699702.4678433 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

I am pretty sure I am using too much.A pea size doesn't seem to cover the entire face so I use more.I will cut back to alot less and see how that goes.Thanks again.

PpprMintPa­tty1308699832.54718840 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol

Yes, I can't use that or the Triluma. Have tried using them every which way but Sunday. Doesn't matter. I never have cystic acne until I use these creams. I can stick with it for weeks upon weeks and it doesn't change.

Finally gave up.

Last edited on 6/22/2011

Last edited on 6/22/2011

~Formerly known as Danny~

baby burns1308713835.6178793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

beautyjunkie, how often are you using this? i think you are putting too much on.

beauty jun­kie1308717729.2938433 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

baby burns,

Hi,I am using it every other night as the Dr said.I put a little bit on my forehead,each cheek and then chin. If I use just a pea size it doesn't spread that easily to cover the entire face.I didn't use it tonight but will try just a drop tomorrow night.

chgogirl1308720407.792161 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

Sometimes irritation can cause breakout. May be retin a is too strong to you.

poodlpoo1308721844.9234265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

It DOES get worse before it gets better. Your derm should have told you that. It also says it right in the insert that comes in the box. Around 6-8 weeks after starting, you can expect an eruption.

CaitlinLov­esCosmetics1308723353.897624 PostsRegistered 5/1/2007Here!

Every one's skin is so different.

I was put on Retin-A multiple times for my acne. I tried the cream and gel. Regular Retin-A and Retin-A Micro. None worked for me. All continued to break my skin out badly. I told myself that it "gets worse before it gets better" (which is true for many people) but in my case, it didn't. It never got better and I had to resign to the fact that Retin-A wasn't going to be the product to help treat my acne.

I would go another two weeks to make your trial period a full 8 weeks. Some say it can take as long as 12, but you should make the call yourself. If you aren't seeing improvement by then I would re-evaluate. Good luck!

PpprMintPa­tty1308749770.24318840 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol
On 6/22/2011 CaitlinLovesCosmetics said:

I was put on Retin-A multiple times for my acne. I tried the cream and gel. Regular Retin-A and Retin-A Micro. None worked for me. All continued to break my skin out badly. I told myself that it "gets worse before it gets better" (which is true for many people) but in my case, it didn't. It never got better and I had to resign to the fact that Retin-A wasn't going to be the product to help treat my acne.

I would go another two weeks to make your trial period a full 8 weeks. Some say it can take as long as 12, but you should make the call yourself. If you aren't seeing improvement by then I would re-evaluate. Good luck!

I agree. I've had two dermatologists tell me some people do get cystic acne from it and it isn't just a "gets worse before it gets better" situation. We're all different.

I did try over 12 weeks more than once, as I said in my earlier post, sometimes you just have to know when to fold them and when to walk away.

~Formerly known as Danny~

nodecaf1308750604.4872499 PostsRegistered 4/15/2007Pinelands

Retin-A wrecked my skin.

It could've the base (cream) it was mixed with.

IDK nor did I care!

I had given it 6 mnths or so! :-(

I have been using Avene Retrinal Cream .05.

(off the site: significantly and visibly reduced the signs of aging without irritating the skin).

Love it! Highly rec'd!

Last edited on 6/22/2011

Last edited on 6/22/2011

“The first wealth is health.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fifi11308752195.8034777 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
I have been using Retin A for about 4 years now, and my skin is very smooth, little spots have gone away and occasionally I will get one large cystic acne spot that my derm addresses right away with a little injection, and all is again well.

bmorechick1308761725.957741 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
On 6/21/2011 CalmInTheHeart said:

I'm 57. I quit using it for that very reason. My skin looked horrible....clogged pores, break outs, ruddy-ish. It took about a month to recover after I quit using it.

Last edited on 6/21/2011

awww i am 55 & went through the same thing. i used it about a year & a half ago, pescribed by the derm...i have had a lifetime of bad skin. after 6 months of use, my skin was a mess - oiler, more breakouts. went back to derm & she told me to stop using it. about 15% of people have a negative result & it will clog SOME people's pores - me being 1 of them. her advice - the less i use the better - cleanse, under eye cream ok...nothing else - no make up, anti-aging, etc. do not use moisturizer or foundation...yes, i go "commando"...blush only & eye make-up. skin recovered, but now i'm breaking out again :( i think it's hormonal

PA-RN1308763795.757411 PostsRegistered 5/10/2011

Retin A causes PURGING..It is not unusual to breakout when you first start using it and your skin is GOING TO LOOK WORSE before it looks better.The first 3 months were HORRENDOUS for me.I panicked and went BACK to my Derm.He told me that it was NOT abnormal and that generally most of his patients complain of the same thing and to tough it out...I stuck thru it and now my skin is FLAWLESS at 36yrs old.

sizzle09851308764565.5982 PostsRegistered 1/30/2010
On 6/22/2011 PpprMintPatty said:
On 6/22/2011 CaitlinLovesCosmetics said:

I agree. I've had two dermatologists tell me some people do get cystic acne from it and it isn't just a "gets worse before it gets better" situation. We're all different.

I did try over 12 weeks more than once, as I said in my earlier post, sometimes you just have to know when to fold them and when to walk away.

ITA! and know when to run! LOL

PA-RN There are many on this board that don't believe in purging. Neither I nor any of the many dermatologists that I have been to agree with this. I always get warned about the possibility of purging with each new script. I have actually seen "my doctor doesn't believe in purging" on these boards! Paaaahhhlleeeese! I'm glad it worked out so well for you!

nailgirlxo­xo1308767173.72302 PostsRegistered 2/1/2008

Retin A can be very irritating, acne is an inflamitory responce because of irritation. I dont believe in the purging theory.

• Prescription-strength forms of vitamin A/retinol (tretinoin) present a greater a risk of causing irritation. For some people the irritation never goes away and they can't use it.
  • Cosmetic retinol has a far lower risk of causing irritation but because it is still breaking down in your skin to become the active prescription form (tretinoin) it can also be irritating.
  • It takes experimenting to see which frequency of application works best for you; many find that using retinol 2–3 times per week works great while others can use it every day.
  • Not everyone's skin can tolerate retinol. It may cause irritation, such as redness and flaking, especially for those new to using it.
  • If irritation occurs, symptoms should subside within a few days as your skin adjusts to regular use. If the symptoms do not subside or worsen, stop using it!
  • If you are just starting to use retinol, don't apply it daily. Rather, apply every other day and/or mix it with your usual moisturizer before applying. That lets your skin gradually acclimate to it.
  • Use well-formulated moisturizers or serums and a gentle cleanser and toner to help your skin better tolerate retinol.
  • http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn-skin-care-facts.aspx

Page 1 of 1