Labor Day Weekend Clearance
168 Members and 9088 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Hair color turned out to dark, What can I do?

Started 1308497507.467 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1308797687.73 by nanann

I have only colored my hair one time before yesterday and that was YEARS ago - I do not have grey yet but it's coming soon because my hair was just getting lighter and lighter and was this dull non shiny drab brown so I told my stylist I wanted to shine it up and bring back the darkness (brunette brown) - well it looks GREAT but my ends look WAY to dark - the top sorta turned out brunette like but I feel like my ends soaked it up to much and are darker, I also had layers put in it yesterday and it's just below my shoulders now when it was past my bra line, TO MUCH CHANGE all at once LOL.

Okay, so - anything I can do on my own to get some of that darkness out or am I just stuck with it? Yes, Permanat hair color, she told me the perm-hair color will help add texture that I so badly needed!

Page 1 of 1
Kathleen1308497695.63712740 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

deleted ... I thought it was a dye-it-yourself gone bad.

Last edited on 6/19/2011

Last edited on 6/19/2011

adelle381308497827.0877857 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007

If your stylist did this, she needs to fix it. It sounds like she did a lousy job. You might want to request someone in the salon who knows how to color hair and you shouldn't be charged for it.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx

Sandgirl1308497973.347177 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/19/2011 Donna Stone said:

If your stylist did this, she needs to fix it. It sounds like she did a lousy job. You might want to request someone in the salon who knows how to color hair and you shouldn't be charged for it.

I've gone to her for YEARS - I think it might just be me....not use to the darkness??

I almost feel like it got darker overnight LOL - not sure there is anything she can really do beside strip the color? I don't want to damage my hair - I was jut hoping there was something I can do in order to get the color to fade quicker - I guess use a SULFATE shampoo?? LOL

princess621308498107.3171616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest

I take it that your color was done by a Pro hair stylist? If so go back to the salon with your complaint. They should correct it if possible as you can get some weird color if you use some home remedies.

Or they can tell you what went wrong and it can be avoided in the future. Ends of hair can absorb more color as they are more porous than the rest of the strand.

Hair salons should stand behind their work and make things right!

becka1308498315.9131044 PostsRegistered 11/25/2007

I agree with Donna. If the colorist did it, she needs to try to fix it. But, Color Oops sold at drugstores might help if you want to fix it.

Sandgirl1308498865.767177 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/19/2011 becka said:

I agree with Donna. If the colorist did it, she needs to try to fix it. But, Color Oops sold at drugstores might help if you want to fix it.

I'll have to get one of these. Like I said I don't think she messed it up, it's just to dark for my liking and it could have been lack of communication on what I really wanted it to look like.

I googled it and some say to use baking soda and shampoo or head and shoulders will also strip out some color - maybe I'll try a couple of those and also look for the color oops

my stylist leaves tomorrow for 2 weeks (vac) so I can't go back to her for two weeks, wanted to try something else on my own.

Thanks for all your suggestions ;)

Flowershop­Girl1308499304.1272614 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011OR

Is your stylist independent or does she work in a salon? If a salon, even though she leaves, if you call and tell them the ends are too dark, someone in the salon will adjust it for her and probably for free. DON'T try to do it on your own, it never works out well. If the ends are darker, it will not even out the way you want if you try to doctor it yourself.

Washing your hair a few times will help as color fades over time but be sure to place the sulfite shampoo only on the ends of your hair, not all over otherwise it will stay uneven.

Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog;
but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog.

Douglas Mallock

Sandgirl1308499936.0277177 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/19/2011 EarthGrl said:

Is your stylist independent or does she work in a salon? If a salon, even though she leaves, if you call and tell them the ends are too dark, someone in the salon will adjust it for her and probably for free. DON'T try to do it on your own, it never works out well. If the ends are darker, it will not even out the way you want if you try to doctor it yourself.

Washing your hair a few times will help as color fades over time but be sure to place the sulfite shampoo only on the ends of your hair, not all over otherwise it will stay uneven.

She is independent - she works in a salon where they are all independent - rents a space sorta thing. She has been there for 18 years and is a very experienced hairdresser - That is a GREAT tip about using the sulfate shampoo only on my ends, I will be sure to do this - THank you!

adelle381308500154.667857 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007

If the ends are darker than the rest, the stylist messed up. Did she cut your hair before or after she colored it? You can try dandruff shampoo. That tends to take color out.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx

Sandgirl1308503276.2177177 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/19/2011 Donna Stone said:

If the ends are darker than the rest, the stylist messed up. Did she cut your hair before or after she colored it? You can try dandruff shampoo. That tends to take color out.

She colored it BEFORE she cut it. - my DH says my ends are NOT darker - like I said prior I am THINKING I am just not use to it to dark, I do NOT think she messed up!!!

I just want a way to maybe lighten it up some, it's to dark for MY liking that's all...

caramels231308505827.66714855 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

JMHO, you should go back to the Salon and have the color professionally corrected. If you think it looks too dark on your ends, it's not your imagination. I personally would not fool around w/drugstore products. You can get some crazy results. If I've ever been unhappy, I call and make an appointment to go back and get the problem resolved. Good luck!

blossomgirl1308521520.242591 PostsRegistered 1/27/2011

Do not do anything to it until your stylist sees it. At the very least, it should be corrected for free. If you mess with it, the salon will not be responsible for their mistake.

DO NOT use Color Oops without first going to the salon.

Last edited on 6/19/2011

Last edited on 6/19/2011

PinkyPetun­ia1308523216.144525 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

The brown hair color will lighten up after a few shampoos. You might want to question your stylist about the ends being darker than the roots, but any color adjustment she does will process your hair more which results in more damage.

I have brown hair and have been coloring it for some years. It always lightens up after a week or so (if you shampoo every day) so if you can wait it out your hair will lighten up.

Twins1308531840.742559 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Chicago

Original Prell works, use morning and night, just condition after.

Sharon

PMS 24-71308640973.457749 PostsRegistered 3/6/2011

usually a good hair conditioning moisture pack will pull out alot of color. let it stay on

for 5 minutes like directed. there are many around. use a good one, it is worth it for your

hair after having it colored.

Desertdi1308654042.3815695 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

You can get some Jerome Russell spray on highlights in Beach Blonde.....at Walgreens until your hair lightens up (it will)

BeckiWV1308681062.473327 PostsRegistered 4/12/2011

Wash it a couple of times with Prell or Pert. That's I do when mine is too dark. I put on light brown and it comes out looking like dark brown every now and then. After a couple of washes, I'm usually in love!

AIMY1308735384.603483 PostsRegistered 2/11/2011

there are some items you can use n your hair and will not come out until washng it.

one is a product on hsn by oprah's hair stylist andree. it looks like a mascara and it is meant to touch up roots and make highlght but if you got the correct color you could put it on your ends and maybe do few streeks to blend.

hsn also has another product-i forgot the name but it comes on a round pot and is almost like a wax.you could use it the way i mentioned above. both products are waterproof and will not come out until you wash you hair. you can swim and even rnse your har in the shower and they will stay put.

hth.

calcgirl1308736316.351680 PostsRegistered 9/5/2008Az

Your color will lighten up as you shampoo it a few times.

Icegoddess1308748285.831633 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

Don't use Color Oops unless you want to totally strip the color. You will need to recolor immediately after using the Color Oops unless you want to walk around with hair that has been stripped of all the color your hairstylist put in. It won't strip your natural color out, but your natural color will be lighter because the process of permanent hair color uses peroxide which lifts some of the natural color out of your hair.

Since it is a big change for you, maybe just shampoo with a good clarifying sulfate shampoo and see if you get accustomed to it. It should lighten somewhat over time. You might decide you like it. I think sometimes the pros go a little dark because they know it is going to fade and you will be happy with the color longer.

I do feel your pain. I colored my own hair for years and got talked into letting them put highlights in my hair. The highlights were fine, but they went way too dark on the base color. I ended up having to strip mine and start over again.

nanann1308797687.703524 PostsRegistered 2/9/2008

I haven't read all the previous posts so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but this happened to me once and my stylist told me to wash my hair with J and J baby shampoo or use dish soap. It may take a couple of washes (one after the other worked for me) and I used the baby shampoo! Good luck!

Page 1 of 1