TSV(R) Preview
150 Members and 15849 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Anyone try the Top Styler for beachy waves?

Started 1308091956.517 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1326213783.64 by rnmomma

HERE

TOTAL PRICE 5/25/2011: 154.95 according to website 14.99 + 19.99 = 34.98 (30 Day Trial) 39.99 x 3 Months = 119.97 (Post 30 Day Trial) TOTAL PRICE = 154.95

Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. ~Author Unknown
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. ~George Weinberg

Page 1 of 5
tantallum1308094221.6471437 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

Mary, I asked the same question here about a month ago and no one else had heard of it. I have watched the infomercial several times and I am always on the verge of ordering it but it is SO expensive. yes they give you two kits but that seems quite unnecessary, I would much rather pay half the price for one. ALTHOUGH I have very fine/thin chin length hair so I would probably only ever use the small C-shells. I want to know if you can mix and match the C-shells in the two sets and put all the small shells in one kit. VERSUS, if each kit has 5 small shell slots and 5 large shell slots. would be a PITA to set up both kits taking up my whole bathroom counter to use the 10 small shells. plus then maybe I could find a friend to split the cost and take the large shell kit.

anyway, hopefully someone else has tried it by now and will give us a review! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

loyale1308095611.371 PostsRegistered 7/5/2005

I ordered the Topstyler this week. I justified the price by telling myself if I liked it well enough to keep it, I would use it alot. I really just want a quick way to fix my hair without a curling iron. I' ll post a review next week when I get it. There are two videos on y**tube that review and demonstrate the Topstyler. Both girls seem to really like it.

tantallum1308095748.261437 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

loyale, yes, PLEEEAASSE post a review for us here when you try it out!! enjoy it! I do really want it, I just need to justify it to myself a little longer. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} hopefully you will love it.

Last edited on 6/14/2011

Last edited on 6/14/2011

Mary Bailey1308134990.156792 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Yes please loyale. Thank you!

Looks like we'll get a review tantallum, Yeah {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Poodlepet1308153074.0673160 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

I caved-I'll do anything for curls-and I have to say, shipping was quick! I have fine shoulder length straight hair.

There is a little learning curve with this; I'm on day 3 and I finally mastered it. It is really easy to use. I think my biggest inhibition was being afraid of burning myself on the C-shells. Once I got over that, now I'm getting what I wanted.

That being said, I'm in 94 degree weather with 100% humidity. Before styling, I used Callista Tools Fix spray. I sprayed generously after styling...it will be interesting to see what happens to my style throughout the day.

You do get two kits, but in addition, you also get 10 additional C-shells: I do find I'm using those with the one kit. Having a second set it not a terrible idea: if you are in a rush, you could plug in both of them and use them. I replace the C-shells as I use them.

The C-shells are pretty interchangeable: most of us probably won't notice if you're using the larger or the smaller.

The instruction book that comes with it is pretty good, but I did discover there are some videos on You Tube.

...and yes, you can get beachy waves with this-you can get true curls-so far, I"m enjoying it and I can't wait to hear what others have to say.

Poodlepet

tantallum1308181958.571437 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

THANK YOU poodlepet. i'm ordering it!

Mary Bailey1308183040.76792 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/15/2011 tantallum said:

THANK YOU poodlepet. i'm ordering it!

Thanks poodlepet.

I want to order it!

My hair is wavy/curly. I wonder what it would do for me.

Poodlepet1308187159.563160 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

Ok ladies-today is the first day I felt I was able to get what I wanted in terms of curls and ringlets. Keep in mind, all of our hair types are different and the styling products we use are all different. When I ordered my set, the makers did offer some styling products but at the time I was so blown away by the price I didn't order them, but I might reconsider. At this time, I do lose "heat instrument low residue" products (not cheap), so I'd like to use them up.

Ok-in this high heat and humidity-and it was ghastly today-92 degrees-100% humidity and it kept on building into finally-appreciated thunderstorms and rain.

My original style did NOT hold up BUT, I was still left with tons of volume...uhhh-that is big if you have hair like mine! It was not sticking to my head and hanging straight. At this point, I'd rank this above the Callista rollers.

I'm looking forward to playing with this again in the morning...and this is one silly trick I discovered....making "finger curls" is a big part of this, and my hair seemed to be sticking to my finger (perhaps I wound too tightly)...I spied a nice round cylinder of mascara and I wrapped my hair around it, slid it out-grasped with my free hand and then put on the C-shell-it made it so much easier....just an idea-but don't be afraid to handle the C-shells-I guess they could burn, but I've handled hotter hair styling equipment and these are so much better! I can't wait to hear what everybody else has say!

Don't be discouraged on your first try-and have fun!

Poodlepet

Poodlepet1308316282.7333160 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

I just want to give a quick update...Mary, I think you'd be really happy because you've already got some body and wave, so if you want curls that last, you will probably have great success. Remember-and this is pointed out in the instruction book-how tight of a curl or wave you get depends on how you wind it, but more importantly, how long you keep the shells in. You can keep them in for just a few minutes for body or waves or keep them in until they cool (about 10 minutes) for tighter curls.

One thing I've discovered-these work even better on day 2 or 3 after you've shampooed and you've sprayed your hair. Yesterday we had 94 degree temps with 100% humidity buy my style stayed-I was delighted! It also took just a couple of minutes to apply the shells: I get better and faster each day.

Yesterday my crown looked really funky-I don't know what I did, but not to worry! I put a couple of combs in to hold my hair and it looked fantastic. Even this morning, I've still got some curl and tons of volume.

I think the sprays you use are all important because you don't want anything that's going to way your hair down. I'm continueing to use Callista Tools Fix, but there is also a fantastic volume adding spray by Sally Hershberger that's fantastic.

Even though I don't have anywhere to go today, I'm going to play with my Topstyler. Did anybody else get theirs yet?

Poodlepet

Mary Bailey1308344265.9736792 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks Poodlepet. That's encouraging. I'm still on the fence. Right now I just Wen and use Noodlehead styling creme. I want it but I don't want to spend all that moo-la.

I sent them an email asking about curly hair, the reply was just to call their 800#.

Please keep the hints and helps coming, if you don't mind.

Poodlepet1308510701.873160 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

Well, I've had mine for a week now, and I love,love,love it. My style holds better than it ever did with curling irons, flat irons or electric curlers. Now I've gotten to the point where my style holds all day, but I don't wash my hair everyday: I wash twice a week.

This really is gentle heat-no worries about burning or scorching-I love what it does with my hair!

Once again, I find the easiest way to "roll" is starting at the root and using a nice sleek tube of mascara to wrap the hair around: it slides right out. For some stupid reason, I wrap too tightly when I use my finger.

That's it for now...I hope to hear from other users....

Poodlepet

tantallum1308518448.961437 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

thanks poodlepet. I have not ordered mine yet, I'm waiting til we get our tax refund...

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} I'm looking forward to it.

rebel1308867409.9575407 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i just read about this in a magazine.

topstyler.com is the site to get more info

i had never seen these before.

it looks interesting. does it take long to put your hair up and into these?

i have a lot of hair and if i had to use little sections it would take a long time to do it.

i am used to using hot rollers and wonder how different this topstyler would style/curl my hair?

thanks for the great info poodlepet!

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

grill girl1308871384.087527 PostsRegistered 5/24/2009

thanks for all the info- I'm thinking a may have to order these. Not happy with my instyler & never use it anymore.

bizziebee0­071309460131.6133251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

uh oh....i want these!!!

does anyone have the calista tools hot rollers to compare to these?

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

violetgirl1309461244.647567 PostsRegistered 7/17/2005N. Cal

Hi bizziebie007, I have the same question. In fact, I was ready to order the Calista tools hot rollers just now and found it to be completely sold out and no wait list. :(

appleuzer1309525142.81 PostsRegistered 7/1/2011

Hi everyone, Talking about the top styler, I saw the informercial, and was impressed. i then went online to check out the reviews. Everyone seemed to love the product. I even watched a U-tube demonstration. So there I was already to purchase them, until, I saw the price!!!! Although I guess $158.00 doesn't seem like alot since it is for the two sets. $80.00 each. But.......... I don't know. I am still on the fence as to ordering it. I am going to wait and see if the price comes down. (which it probably will not). Anyhow, keep us all posted. Good Luck to all that purchased it!!! I am sure you all will have fun with your new dos. It's nice to have a change once in a while. !!!!!!!Smile

Kaya131310243518.6971 PostsRegistered 7/9/2011

Hello-

I found myself obsessing about the Topstyler for a few weeks now and after watching the infomercial for a third weekend in a row, I couldn't resist anymore and ordered it from the website. I did a little sleuth work and found the magazine promo code "MORE" to take advantage of the discounted price offered by More magazine, which brought the price point down to $119 as opposed to $154. I am so excited to get this and think the 2nd kit will come in handy if I need to use more than the 10 original "c" shells included in the first kit. I have curly hair that is more of a frizzy perm look on its own. As I don't really like my curl, I spend money getting Brazilian treatments and straighten it with my Instyler or flat iron. I live in Florida and in the humid summer, it is so not worth the fight to try to straighten my hair that wants to be curly. I have high hopes that this product will be the answer to help me "like" my curls again. When I receive it, I can re-post with an update.

CharmTx1310245338.79964 PostsRegistered 4/5/2009Deep in the heart of Texas
On 7/9/2011 Kaya13 said:

Hello-

I found myself obsessing about the Topstyler for a few weeks now and after watching the infomercial for a third weekend in a row, I couldn't resist anymore and ordered it from the website. I did a little sleuth work and found the magazine promo code "MORE" to take advantage of the discounted price offered by More magazine, which brought the price point down to $119 as opposed to $154. I am so excited to get this and think the 2nd kit will come in handy if I need to use more than the 10 original "c" shells included in the first kit. I have curly hair that is more of a frizzy perm look on its own. As I don't really like my curl, I spend money getting Brazilian treatments and straighten it with my Instyler or flat iron. I live in Florida and in the humid summer, it is so not worth the fight to try to straighten my hair that wants to be curly. I have high hopes that this product will be the answer to help me "like" my curls again. When I receive it, I can re-post with an update.

I noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the Beauty Board! I, too, am obsessing over this Topstyler. Even though I am waiting for more reviews here, I don't think I can hold out much longer. I want it now!

ETA: Welcome to you, too, appleuzer!!

Last edited on 7/9/2011

Last edited on 7/9/2011

Sweetally1310418800.0431 PostsRegistered 7/11/2011
On 7/9/2011 Kaya13 said:

Hello-

Kaya...thank you so much! I've been sleuthing all day on the net looking for the promo code and was even thinking I'd subscribe to the magazine but can't since I live in Canada. I have now ordered the TopStyler and will report back when I have tried it out. I have natually wavy/curly hair but it just looks frizzy most of the time. For those who have used it, do you need to stray anything in your hair after you wash it or can I just use it after my hair has dried?

It was great to save some $$$.

cattycoll1310652441.0974 PostsRegistered 7/14/2011

I just ordered the Topstyler. I can't wait for it to come. I am a hairstylist and am always looking for new creative ideas and this seems like a good one. I have naturally curly hair that unless I use hot rollers or hair cream for my curly days, it always looks a little fuzzy. I think the 2 sets are a good idea so you have the option of using all the big or smaller ones. I did use the MORE promo code posted on here so thank you. I always love to save a buck.

Poodlepet1310762077.0133160 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

...well, I wish I would have known about the MORE price-but no regrets ladies! I am continueing to love and adore my Top Styler-no styling product that I've ever used compares. BTW, I do have the Callista Tools hot rollers, and I'm not complaining about them, but they tend to give me more body than actual curl.

To answer some questions, you can use as many C-shells as you like depending on what you want. I washed my hair last night and air dried it and it was flat and just hanging this morning. I was feeling particularly lazy and it's hot and humid, so I used about five of the large C-shells and I have body and a little curl. No question, I can get some really nice curls if I use more.

Another thing I have discovered is the comb you are given has a "pick" like end and I love using that as opposed to running my fingers through my hair because the pick tends not to break the curls-but you can experiment and see what you like.

I found a wonderful thermal protectant spray at the drug-store called "Not Your Mother's" (they have a whole line of styling products out) and if your hair is fine and limp, I highly recommend it.

This is so easy to use-I think everybody will love it and I can't wait to hear what you think!

Poodlepet

bizziebee0­071310877245.593251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

thank u all so much for the info and code.

i want to get these soon. probably next month, after vacation.

poodle: how long is your hair? if you could only get one set, would you stick with the topstyler vs. the calista tools?

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

tendercolo­rs1310972748.737940 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007sunny and warm in BEAUTIFUL San Diego county, CA
On 6/23/2011 grill girl said:

thanks for all the info- I'm thinking a may have to order these. Not happy with my instyler & never use it anymore.

I know! I have long, fine, straight hair, that looks really pretty when it is styled or even when it is just smoothed and straight and shiny. I got the instyler thinking it would smooth and polish my hair and add volume.

I used it for awhile but it took so much time and "messing with" that I ended up just washing my hair and using some volumizing styling creme (a small amount rubbed in my hands and then rubbed and smoothed thru hair) and sometimes a LIGHT (water) weight volumizer spray, then take a couple of sections and twisting them into coils and clipping them ontop of my head. Usually I would go to bed after that but would still have to hit it in the morning to make sure it is dry. When I let it down it is wavy and FULL of volume and I didn't have to stand there and go strand by strand.

Now my Instyler that I paid so much money for sits in the shelves in my bathroom and I feel so guilty! The barrel also was too big to get much wave or volume out or curl and would sometimes leave my hair on the flat side.

I saw the Topstyler and thought, THAT is what I am already doing only using heat and taking LESS time and energy! But my gosh, $14.99 + $20 s/h to try it?? and THEN if you like it, which I am sure I would, it is $39.99 (figure $40.00) bucks a month for 3 months??? It hardly makes it seem like the "FREE" one is free and the cost seems really excessive for a small box of 10 clips.

I REALLY woul like to get it because I know it would work great on my hair, but I just can't seem to justify the price, plus, WHY do I need the extra one??

I am hoping someone got the set and is wanting to sell the extra! THAT I could do. DARN!!! WHY do they have to make it so dang expensive? It would be worth it because I have HORRIBLE hair unless I WORK for it and even THEN I never know how long (an hour tops??) it will last!

I read all these great things you girls say about it and I keep my fingers crossed that I will find a "deal". I don't want to make the same mistake I make with the Instyler. I think that was made more for straightening hair, than for fine straight hair like mine. But I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY ADS ON THE TOPSTYLER!!!LOL!

A prayer for the wild at heart that are kept in cages. - Tennessee Williams

Poodlepet1311001753.3433160 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Punta Gorda Florida

Bizziebee, my hair is shoulder length and I've got multiple layers. It's fine and limp which is why I typically get it permed.

That being said, I scorched it using the Instyler-if you ever would have told me I would buy another product from those people, I would have said you're crazy! I had alot of damage and earlier this summer had to use alot of restorative products. I did not get a perm, so I'm getting no assistance with curl in that department which is why I'm so thrilled with the Top Styler: it is truly for us ladies who want curls and volume and it is truly versatile and amazing.

If I had to choose between hot curlers and the Top Styler, I'd go for the Top Styler-no question. Very rarely did I ever really style or set my hair during the summer because I knew the heat and humidity would knock out any curl I had, but the Top Styler is really delivering on that better than any hot curlers ever did.

Poodlepet

Page 1 of 5