Creede Silver Sale
110 Members and 9877 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

are American women obsessed with beauty?

Started 1307464224.673 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1307579349.927 by Milesthecat

are women in other parts of the world as obsessive about all things beauty as it seems we are in America? I wonder if women around the world have "beauty forums" like we have for advice and comments about anti-aging and beauty products.

do you think it's really beauty we are obsessed with, or is it a fear of aging? or do you disagree that we seem to be obsessed with such things? I'll be the first to admit that although I'm a little obsessive about skin care and makeup, I'm not interested in surgery or injections.

what do you think? are "we" obsessive? are you obsessive? is it about beauty, or is it about aging?

~BE BRAVE~

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
Clover291307464308.80710535 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

My boss back in England was more obsessed with all of the above than any American woman could possibly be. I don't think it's national, it's just "some women".

Vamp1307464486.6111406 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

I really think it is a small portion of our population that is obsessed with looks. Have you been to Wal-Mart lately? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

naturalfan1307464910.334263 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009
On 6/7/2011 Vamp said:

I really think it is a small portion of our population that is obsessed with looks. Have you been to Wal-Mart lately? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Thank you - I was thinking something along those very lines.

molisa1307464974.5231194 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010Missouri
On 6/7/2011 naturalfan said:
On 6/7/2011 Vamp said:

Thank you - I was thinking something along those very lines.

One of the first things that crossed my mind!

Rooney11307465197.2075831 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

I think we are conditioned as to what beauty is and therefore miss all that is truly beautiful.

jerseygirl11307465314.563569 PostsRegistered 2/21/2007
On 6/7/2011 Vamp said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing!

My husband needed bug spray and insisted on stopping at Walmart. I haven't been in that place for many, many years (it's a political statement, I don't like how they treat their employees) but was horrified by the appearance of their clientele. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough!

Ranchergal1307465431.3034271 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

I think it's a few women who are very afraid of aging and have a low self-concept of themselves. I know, even though they can afford it, few women who are opting for plastic surgery.

bunjetto1307465679.3332745 PostsRegistered 11/2/2006
On 6/7/2011 Vamp said:

I cracked up when I read this. So funny and so true lol!!!!! I didn't know that they treated there employees bad. Not cool. We had an old Walmart that closed and they just opened the mega one. Just can't bring myself to go in that store no matter what the deal! But people watch who goes in and out is a trip.

Last edited on 6/7/2011

Last edited on 6/20/2011

ValentinaB­on1307465780.816934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

Interesting topic!

My reatives in Italy are very, very into beauty and maintaining their youthful skin, more so than most I know here in the States. I believe the French are the same. I am not sure if it would be vain or more of just taking pride in themselves and caring for their bodies and skin. However, I lived in Germany for quite some time and I didn't really feel that German ladies were nearly as "obsessive" about taking good care of their skin and beauty in general. I could be wrong but in my experience, I did not get that sense at all.

In regards to US women, I think the degree of obsession of beauty depends on where you go in the US; some areas the women are much more obsessive about beauty than those women in other areas.

DUH....WENing! :)

SecondHand­News1307465792.631381 PostsRegistered 11/28/2005

Too funny about the Wal-Mart. I think it's aging more than beauty, really. We are reproductively "old" after age 35 and we're living way beyond our reproductive age. It's probably natural to want to appear younger.

PurplePink1307465795.2671129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

I also think it is women in general, and probably the other factor would be your standard of living which could help or limit this "obsession." Even on tight budgets, women are inventive and find ways to keep looking nice.

The cultural factors that I see would make a difference is how society perceives these "obsessions" or inclinations. I think in Europe and Latin America (these are the places I have visited and lived in, others I cannot comment about) there is a much more uniform attitude towards looking put together (not necessarily the latest fashion, but a well groomed/well put together look) for both men and women, and there is a higher possibility that people will frown upon a really casual look (like college girls wearing a big hoodie, baggy shorts, flip flops and contrasting that with a Coach bag). In the U.S there is more diversity in people's expectations and attitudes - you can see a lot of the extreme looks (the walmart example vs 5th avenue), and a lot more in between.

Maybe another difference might be a few variations in beauty obsessions, especially regarding skincare. I remember in Europe there was always a preference for natural, organic ingredients, older (trusted) recipes for creams that had plant extracts, and other traditional ingredients (lavender and minerals in France, olive oil in Greece, etc); from ads to selections in stores all emphasize this aspect. I think the U.S market and beauty "addicts" here, focus a bit more on the latest research, the latest gadgets, the latest anti-aging ingredient, although in the past few years the organic/natural trend also caught on more and more.

Out of these regions I do think the economy and population here are so diverse that it gives you most options to have any style, any look or any obsession at any price tag.

Last edited on 6/7/2011

Last edited on 6/7/2011

foxywoods1307466519.563913 PostsRegistered 8/6/2007

If you are over 40 and were considered pretty or beautiful in your youth, I believe you tend to be more focused on beauty.

silkgeisha1307467135.23413 PostsRegistered 3/1/2011

I have been all over the world and I can tell you that American women are NOT obsessed with beauty or HEALTH.

cassiem1307467250.8736807 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/7/2011 Rooney1 said:

I think we are conditioned as to what beauty is and therefore miss all that is truly beautiful.

Totally agree. I think there is a very narrow definition of beauty in this country. Sadly, I think that young girls are the true victims of this, they are being told that beauty is being stick thin, having perfect skin, and exposing lots of flesh. I don't think it's healthy or natural.

ford12241307467715.6673586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

It depends on what is meant by "obsessed." I recently had dental surgery and two teeth capped and it cost a lot of money (I have no dental insurance). A member of my family (who has missing teeth) asked "why bother?" That's because I am 73. My answer was, "because I still care about how I look." The person called me "vain." So I am vain if I don't want to go around with missing teeth in my 70's?

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

12andcount­ing1307467847.564532 PostsRegistered 2/16/2009
On 6/7/2011 silkgeisha said:

I have been all over the world and I can tell you that American women are NOT obsessed with beauty or HEALTH.

I don't think this can be said for ALL American women. There are clearly many American women who are totally obsessed with beauty, in my opinion.

Last edited on 6/7/2011

Last edited on 6/7/2011

ford12241307467945.1773586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010
On 6/7/2011 jerseygirl1 said:
On 6/7/2011 Vamp said:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing!

My husband needed bug spray and insisted on stopping at Walmart. I haven't been in that place for many, many years (it's a political statement, I don't like how they treat their employees) but was horrified by the appearance of their clientele. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough!

I make the same political statement. I don't shop at WalMart because I don't like their employee practices and because they deliberately set out to destroy the little "Main Street shops" in every town they occupy. Yes, it is a political statement on my part.

So I don't know how WalMart customers look, although I do know some nice looking (and well off) people who shop there because of their cheap prices.

Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

ford12241307468268.463586 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010
On 6/7/2011 foxywoods said:

If you are over 40 and were considered pretty or beautiful in your youth, I believe you tend to be more focused on beauty.

True. It's hard to give up. Almost better never to have had it as far as aging is concerned.

catprincess1307469084.7532365 PostsRegistered 4/9/2007Rocky Mountains

I shop at Walmart & don't consider myself a freak show! It seems like American women are bombarded with magazines, TV, cosmetic counter reps all telling them they should be looking younger, less wrinkled & thinner! When you go to the beach in other countries you will see 200 lb women in bikinis with their families having a great time, not at all self conscious. We look & say OMG what is she thinking! I am tired of trying to live up to the US standard of thin & made up!

puglet11307469809.171442 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011
On 6/7/2011 foxywoods said:

Yes, this is true (sigh ...) Kiss

blahblahva­mpemerblah1307471325.086169 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/7/2011 jerseygirl1 said:

As a former Wal Mart employee who burned some bridges when I left, I think you're being unfair to the company. No one held a gun up to my head to work there, and no one says you have to stay either. For those that do, Wal Mart is one of the VERY FEW retailers that offers insurance to it's employees, and their stock plan was a 15% bonus in pay. If you're going to judge a company by how they treat their employees, I can think of a dozen companies whose records are much worse but don't get publicized nearly as much.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

blahblahva­mpemerblah1307471385.16169 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've talked to a lot of Europeans about this, and they're much worse. They're also heavily into limited-edition items that sell out quickly and never return. I hate that enough in this country.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

icezeus1307472936.0574496 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

Very interesting topic. I am not sure how to answer it. I do not consider myself obsessed with beauty, nor do I believe that I fear aging. I know that I would never consider plastic surgery or injections. (I hate needles) However, if someone else chooses to do so it's not my business. I know that I will be 44 years old in a few months and that I take pride in my appearance, how I dress, and how my skin looks. Therefore, I do use a clarisonic, and I exfoliate every morning. I use a face serum at night, a nice good moisturizer, and a finishing product from Bare Essentials called night transformation treatment. I also go to the dentist every four months to have my teeth cleaned. I used body lotion from head to toe twice a day to keep my skin soft. Some people might called that being obsessed.I like to say that I was brought up to take care of myself and to always be pulled together. Now if other people do not choose to do this I am not putting them down. I am just saying that this is what I choose to do. Whether I have been subconsciously influenced by advertisers, magazines, and movie starts I have no idea.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

sweetsue_981307472949.1631032 PostsRegistered 9/24/2006
On 6/7/2011 Vamp said:

You are totally right. Most women look like they just crawled out of bed.

rnmom1307474675.551373 PostsRegistered 2/11/2010

I just turned 40 and while I try to look nice and take care of my skin, wear makeup, etc. I don't think that I'm obsessed with beauty. I would never consider plastic surgery such as a face lift. However, it would appear that our society is obsessed with looking younger. It seems that we are constantly being bombarded by messages everywhere we go that we need to look younger, thinner, more perfect. Every potion out there will erase your wrinkles and sagging and there's a million of them to choose from! It seems a shame that someone can't be older, mature, but still in great shape with maybe a few lines and wrinkles and still be considered beautiful. Wisdom and a loving spirit should be considered beautiful but our culture seems to demean aging, so we all quest to look younger, if not more beautiful.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next