Just-Reduced Clearance
141 Members and 11359 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Glycolic vs. Retinol product

Started 1307298481.35 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1307764491.637 by helping1

I've never used either type of product, but I was wondering about the difference in the results from those who have used both products but at SEPARATE times :) I do know that one must use a sunblock especially while using those types of products. The retinol should be used at night instead of daytime. I was just wondering if anyone has had better or the same results while using either product. Thanks for any information!

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

Page 1 of 2
helping11307324367.8271390 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

Anyone? :)

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

J-Lou1307324683.8431168 PostsRegistered 3/27/2009Oklahoma

I have Retin A Micro and Paula's Choice 10% Glycolic resurfacing treatment. Personally, I have seen better results with the Glycolic treatment. It seemed to work and change my skin for the better in a short amount of time too. Maybe I did not give the RetinA enough time. I have been thinking of using both on alternating nights. Paula's Choice is having 15% off right now if you'd like to give it a try. I love it and I will never be without it!!! Its in the Resist line.

My three kids are furry with four legs and they are the LOVES of my life! Next to my Husband of course!

MotorCity ­Chick1307325656.1731814 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005Michigan

Glycolic Products work very well for my oily acne prone skin.

helping11307374420.751390 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

Thanks for your input! Perhaps it depends on the individual(?) It seems as though some skin care representatives or dermatologists tout glycolic and some recommend retinol.

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

KweenB1307377978.5272154 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

Glycolic peel product gave me results overnight. I love it. I also use a retinol product, but it took about a month for me to even start seeing results.

helping11307378242.2031390 PostsRegistered 7/18/2010

KweenB - Thank you for your input, too. Even though the glycolic seemed to work faster than the retinol, did you see a difference in the results from either one? Thanks again!

Over 40. Combo/sensitive skin. Tendency to get eczema.

PurplePink1307379752.1871129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

They have different purposes.

Glycolics help exfoliate your skin so they will help with the look of pores some discoloration (results show in time) and will give you an overall glow. They do not help or strengthen the skin in any other way but by removing the outer layer of dead skin cells. They are a better option for exfoliation than scrubs and other grainy products because they do not scratch and irritate your skin. Congested pores, acne scars, sun spots, uneven skin tone all of these will be addressed by glycolic products. If you decide to use glycolic products introduce them slowly, start with a lower concentration 1-2 a week and then build the usage up and then increase the concentration. Alpha Hydrox has very affordable AHA products with 10-14% glycolic acid.

Retinols are proven anti-aging products. Those also work in time to strengthen your skin and its ability to produce collagen. They prevent and slow down the formation of lines and wrinkles. They can be OTC or prescription strength. OTC ones will also help and since their concentration is a bit lower they are also a good way to start incorporating retinol in your routine. Also Alpha Hydox has the most affordable retinol product called Retinol ResQ for 14.99 for 1 oz. You can also find retinol products from RoC and many others.

So in my opinion glycolics do the "cleaning part" by removing dead skin and making sure new skin is revealed (this process of skin renewal slows down as we age so it is good to help speed it up) and the retinols do the "treating part" by strengthening your skin and slowing down the formation of wrinkles.

Last edited on 6/6/2011

Last edited on 6/6/2011

Harpa1307380535.2977368 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007

I use both (for several years - I'm now 58) and have seen great benefits from both. You don't mention your age. Different ingredients pack a greater punch for different ages. Also, it is my understanding that certain skin types do better w/ other ingredients.

But as far as AHA's and retinol - both help to speed skin cell turnover. (A younger skin may already turn over skin cells sufficiently.) Turnover rate for older skin naturally slows down, and these type ingredients boost the turnover process, resulting in fresher, younger acting/looking, smoother, cleaner, clearer skin, which is visibly obvious. Fine lines and superficial lines diminish. Your own production of collagen is stimulated. Your skin takes on a youthful glow as the surface of your skin retexturizes. Skin tone evens out. Sun damage is corrected.

Most, I believe, use a glycolic acid in the a.m.; retinol in the p.m., which gives you an around-the-clock cell turnover. You wouldn't want to overload w/ any one thing, as that can be damaging. Some, like myself, believe that a lower % strength is all that's needed to maintain good, healthy skin.

Nascarfan481307381489.1971525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

I use both, glycolic in the a.m and retin-a in the p.m. I've been using the glycolic for around 15 years after my derm recommended it for me and I added the retin-a about a year and a half ago.

LisaB1307383446.522563 PostsRegistered 1/8/2007
On 6/6/2011 PurplePink said:

They have different purposes.

Glycolics help exfoliate your skin so they will help with the look of pores some discoloration (results show in time) and will give you an overall glow. They do not help or strengthen the skin in any other way but by removing the outer layer of dead skin cells. They are a better option for exfoliation than scrubs and other grainy products because they do not scratch and irritate your skin. Congested pores, acne scars, sun spots, uneven skin tone all of these will be addressed by glycolic products. If you decide to use glycolic products introduce them slowly, start with a lower concentration 1-2 a week and then build the usage up and then increase the concentration. Alpha Hydrox has very affordable AHA products with 10-14% glycolic acid.

Retinols are proven anti-aging products. Those also work in time to strengthen your skin and its ability to produce collagen. They prevent and slow down the formation of lines and wrinkles. They can be OTC or prescription strength. OTC ones will also help and since their concentration is a bit lower they are also a good way to start incorporating retinol in your routine. Also Alpha Hydox has the most affordable retinol product called Retinol ResQ for 14.99 for 1 oz. You can also find retinol products from RoC and many others.

So in my opinion glycolics do the "cleaning part" by removing dead skin and making sure new skin is revealed (this process of skin renewal slows down as we age so it is good to help speed it up) and the retinols do the "treating part" by strengthening your skin and slowing down the formation of wrinkles.

Last edited on 6/6/2011

Purplepink is right on the money. I use both products in that capacity, I am 42.

Last edited on 6/6/2011

Last edited on 6/6/2011

JoElla1307386072.66310552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas

Great info gang! I am still trying to figure out what to use when.

Currently using Olay products

Regenerist micro serum during the day w/ a moisturizer

Regenerist night resurfacing elixir at night w/ a moisturizer.

How would I add a retin a product to this lineup?

HELP! I have become skin care stoopid!

LuvMyPuppi­es1307386218.95911 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008

What is the best AHA (Glycolic) to use in the am? I use retin a at night.

LuvMyPuppi­es1307410653.36911 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008
On 6/6/2011 LuvMyPuppies said:

What is the best AHA (Glycolic) to use in the am? I use retin a at night.

anyone?

Dharma_Ini­tiative1307411238.1674136 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

If you are new to AHA products you could start with Walgreens 8% Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream. Affordable ($6 for a 4 oz. jar) and easily returned it if it doesn't work for you. I'm currently using it in the day, combined with a 2% retinol night product.

I Teach Too1307411382.27311790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.

My derm started me on Retinol in January. She also suggested I use a glycolic cleanser to help with the removal of the skin cells the retinol is exfoliating.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

LuvMyPuppi­es1307412051.303911 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008
On 6/6/2011 Dharma_Initiative said:

If you are new to AHA products you could start with Walgreens 8% Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream. Affordable ($6 for a 4 oz. jar) and easily returned it if it doesn't work for you. I'm currently using it in the day, combined with a 2% retinol night product.

Is the Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream okay for oily skin?

Nascarfan481307412724.771525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

LuvMyPuppies, if you have oily skin you could try the MD Forte line. My derm started me on the Facial Lotion when I went to him and it is good for oily skin. The MD Forte line also has more emolient formulas. The Facial Lotion has 3 formulas. Formula I is 10% glycolic and then you can move up to Formula II which is 20% and Formula III is 30%. MD Forte is more $$ than Alpha Hydroxy but I have been using this for a long time and really like it.

philogirl1307413899.341312 PostsRegistered 6/9/2010
On 6/6/2011 I Teach Too said:

My derm started me on Retinol in January. She also suggested I use a glycolic cleanser to help with the removal of the skin cells the retinol is exfoliating.

Hi Teach,

What cleanser do you use/ Does Paula's Choice include a glycolic cleanser? Thx.

LuvMyPuppi­es1307413957.047911 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008
On 6/6/2011 Nascarfan48 said:

LuvMyPuppies, if you have oily skin you could try the MD Forte line. My derm started me on the Facial Lotion when I went to him and it is good for oily skin. The MD Forte line also has more emolient formulas. The Facial Lotion has 3 formulas. Formula I is 10% glycolic and then you can move up to Formula II which is 20% and Formula III is 30%. MD Forte is more $$ than Alpha Hydroxy but I have been using this for a long time and really like it.

Thanks! I will check that out.

I Teach Too1307451509.11311790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 6/6/2011 philogirl said:
On 6/6/2011 I Teach Too said:

My derm started me on Retinol in January. She also suggested I use a glycolic cleanser to help with the removal of the skin cells the retinol is exfoliating.

Hi Teach,

What cleanser do you use/ Does Paula's Choice include a glycolic cleanser? Thx.

TBH, I told my derm I had some other cleansers to use up first and she said that was fine. When I go back, at the end of this month to rebuy my retinol, I will purchase the cleanser. It is a Soderstrom Institute clinic, so they carry Skin Diminesions cleansers and Peter Tomas Roth (believe it or not!) glycolic cleansers.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

Nascarfan481307452525.611525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

The MD Forte line also carries some glycolic cleansers. I used it for several years and it is nice. I no longer use it because I feel the lotion is enough for my skin.

lyn in MI1307453701.7424349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 6/6/2011 philogirl said:
On 6/6/2011 I Teach Too said:

My derm started me on Retinol in January. She also suggested I use a glycolic cleanser to help with the removal of the skin cells the retinol is exfoliating.

Hi Teach,

What cleanser do you use/ Does Paula's Choice include a glycolic cleanser? Thx.

Paula is anti-glycolic cleanser, and she doesn't include that ingredient in any of her cleansers for that reason. She feels it doesn't belong in a cleanser because it's just washed down the drain. My derm disagrees with her and agrees with I Teach Too's derm.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

LuvMyPuppi­es1307455292.73911 PostsRegistered 9/12/2008
On 6/7/2011 lyn in MI said:
On 6/6/2011 philogirl said:
On 6/6/2011 I Teach Too said:

My derm started me on Retinol in January. She also suggested I use a glycolic cleanser to help with the removal of the skin cells the retinol is exfoliating.

Hi Teach,

What cleanser do you use/ Does Paula's Choice include a glycolic cleanser? Thx.

Paula is anti-glycolic cleanser, and she doesn't include that ingredient in any of her cleansers for that reason. She feels it doesn't belong in a cleanser because it's just washed down the drain. My derm disagrees with her and agrees with I Teach Too's derm.

lyn, do you use a glycolic cleanser along with the Dr. Dennis Gross Beta Peel pads? Also, does the AFFA & CRC have glycolic? I was trying to replace those due to $$$ but I may be better off just to keep using them?

lyn in MI1307458511.58324349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 6/7/2011 LuvMyPuppies said:

lyn, do you use a glycolic cleanser along with the Dr. Dennis Gross Beta Peel pads? Also, does the AFFA & CRC have glycolic? I was trying to replace those due to $$$ but I may be better off just to keep using them?

I use Dr. Perricone's Cleansing Treatment Bar each AM. It contains 5% glycolic acid. I allow the lather to remain on my face for approx 3 minutes before I rinse. Glycolic Acid is the 2nd ingredient in AFFA and the 5th ingredient in CRC.

eta: changed Perri to Perricone

Last edited on 6/7/2011

Last edited on 6/7/2011

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

I Teach Too1307458610.2511790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 6/7/2011 lyn in MI said:
On 6/7/2011 LuvMyPuppies said:

lyn, do you use a glycolic cleanser along with the Dr. Dennis Gross Beta Peel pads? Also, does the AFFA & CRC have glycolic? I was trying to replace those due to $$$ but I may be better off just to keep using them?

I use Dr. Perri's Cleansing Treatment Bar each AM. It contains 5% glycolic acid. I allow the lather to remain on my face for approx 3 minutes before I rinse. Glycolic Acid is the 2nd ingredient in AFFA and the 5th ingredient in CRC.

That is Dr. Perricone..correct?

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

Page 1 of 2