Better Than Black Friday
118 Members and 17632 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Argan oil for combination normal/oily skin

Started 1307046170.117 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1309416649.057 by PunkyG210

I've read several threads re: Argan oil so I'm sorry if one more is annoying to anyone. I'm just curious to know if anyone with normal/oily skin has used this and what can I expect as I start using it. When Josie has been on she says for people with oily skin not to be afraid of it because it will balance your skin. I have always had a problem with oiliness + large congested pores from around my nose down to and including my entire chin. No matter what I try, I can pretty much expect to have a blemish/pimple on my chin area. Has anyone with this problem used this product and does it REALLY balance the skin? I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone has actually had any improvement with this problem when using Argan oil. Can I expect more breakouts as my skin "adjusts" ? I just want to give it a fair shot and don't want to stop using it thinking I'm sensitive to it when it actually may just be that my skin needs to get used to it. Any replies would be appreciated. ........................................................................Thanks

Page 1 of 1
Still In S­an Diego1307049337.6211 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011

I love the argan oil! I have oily skin and (like you) have always fought breakouts especially on my chin -- no matter what I did. It seems that I tried everything I could find, but nothing seemed to help and often the product just made it worse. I started using Josie's argan oil a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. My face does not break out nearly as often or as bad, plus the texture of my skin seems much better. I have to say that (thanks to this forum) I started to also use Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction Pads about 2 weeks after I started with the argan oil, but I had already started to notice a difference in my skin with just the argan oil. I love the oil so much, I started purchasing the larger 4 oz bottle so I can use it all the time on my face, hands, feet, anywhere I want softer skin! It doesn't take much; only a couple of drops for the face, so it does last a long time. I also love the color stick that you get with each order when ordering through QVC. My routine is now Philosophy's Purity in the evening, follow with the TR (I cut the pads in 1/4 sections and that is plenty of product for my entire face) and then follow with the argan oil. Simplified my routine! The only difference in the morning is I use the Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliator instead of the Purity.

Good luck!

PunkyG2101307050437.15318 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Thanks for your reply Still In San Diego. I also use Purity and Microdelivery wash with my Clarisonic. I'm glad to hear that you love the Argan Oil. I was afraid to try an oil but decided to give it a shot and jumped right in with the 4 oz bottle. I figured that if I hated it I could always send it back OR use it on my body in the dry winter months. I just received it yesterday along with her foundation that adjusts to your skin tone. I work 12 hr night shifts and used the foundation last night. It didn't seem overly oily to me so I was happy about that. I'm not sure if the oil will be too "oily" for use during the day...so I was thinking of maybe using the oil at night. I probably won't wear the foundation every day in the summer months. When do you use the oil..morning...night...both? I'll try it with just the Purity + Microdelivery wash for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Then I'll look into maybe trying the Peter Thomas Roth pads....although I have to say I wasted money on his Unwrinkle serum which did nothing but lighten the weight of my wallet lol. Again, thanks for your reply.

cassiem1307051291.526849 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I can only use argan oil on my dry areas. If I use it on my oily, clog prone T-zone, I just get more oil, more clogs, and more breakouts.

If a product is working for you, it shouldn't make you break out. Sometimes when the pores are clearing out you will get tiny whiteheads that go away quickly, but if you get big, red, oozy zits or undergrounders, that's a sign that the product is clogging your pores and breaking you out.

Still In S­an Diego1307052965.34311 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011
On 6/2/2011 PunkyG210 said:

Thanks for your reply Still In San Diego. I also use Purity and Microdelivery wash with my Clarisonic. I'm glad to hear that you love the Argan Oil. I was afraid to try an oil but decided to give it a shot and jumped right in with the 4 oz bottle. I figured that if I hated it I could always send it back OR use it on my body in the dry winter months. I just received it yesterday along with her foundation that adjusts to your skin tone. I work 12 hr night shifts and used the foundation last night. It didn't seem overly oily to me so I was happy about that. I'm not sure if the oil will be too "oily" for use during the day...so I was thinking of maybe using the oil at night. I probably won't wear the foundation every day in the summer months. When do you use the oil..morning...night...both? I'll try it with just the Purity + Microdelivery wash for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Then I'll look into maybe trying the Peter Thomas Roth pads....although I have to say I wasted money on his Unwrinkle serum which did nothing but lighten the weight of my wallet lol. Again, thanks for your reply.

PunkyG210 - I forgot that very important part: I DO use the Clarisonic with the Purity. I don't find the Argan Oil too oily for the day, but I also use a primer after the oil (either Smashbox or LG) and before my foundation (Smashbox Halo). I use the oil in the morning and at night - and sometimes in between! I see that it does cause problems for some people, but I have not had any at all. My cuticles have even gotten MUCH better and it is one more area that I have always struggled with. I need to try her foundation I guess -- sounds like you like it (??). {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Vickaroo1307071968.033537 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007

I have very oily skin and I love argan oil. I use it at night as my only moisturizer and my skin is dewy soft, not greasy at all in the morning. I also mix it with my mineral powder in the am to make my own tinted moisturizer. Works great. I also love Peter Thomas Roth unwrinkle peel pads. I cut them in half and use every morning. They've really cleared up my skin. (By the way, purity broke me out.)

Last edited on 6/2/2011

Last edited on 6/2/2011

saschill1307074075.0531328 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'm in my early 40s and have had an oil slick for a t-zone since high school. I started using argan oil back in January and can't believe the difference in my t-zone. I'm no longer powdering it down by 9:00 a.m. I use it morning and night. In the morning I apply, eat breakfast and then put on makeup. Works better at controlling my oil than any primer I've ever tried. Also, monthly PMS breakouts are down to maybe 1 pimple per month.

gospursgo1307074234.65537 PostsRegistered 3/11/2005

Argan oil totally broke me out. It gave me cystic acne. I only use it on my hair and will not repurchase.

BaileyBop1307074458.392589 PostsRegistered 2/20/2008

I have used Argan oil for a few years and was never really crazy about it. I usually used it about 3 times a week. I finally found something 100% better, Maracuja oil. This has great reviews for those interested.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.A215554.desc.tarte-100-Pure-Cold-Pressed-Maracuja-Oil-from-the-Amazon

Bella HS1307075555.4778076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

I couldn't use Argan oil. I have perfectly normal skin with no issues and I developed pretty big bumps under my skin. I absolutely could not use it during the day and my skin never really absorbed it at night either...it was too heavy for me. I stopped the oil and all gone. Using it up on feet and hands. I hope it works out for you...maybe start slowly and with a pea sized amount. If you use other products use the argan last to seal in your other products. Oils create a barrier and your other serums and creams will not penetrate as most products are water based but you can double check the ingredient deck on other products you use. Good Luck!

itsover1307101189.15192 PostsRegistered 5/10/2011

I use Argan oil almost every night & it has balanced my skin. I used to be an oil-slick.

PunkyG2101307106666.41318 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Good Morning everyone. Well, I used the Argan oil before I went to bed last night. When I woke up I was happy to see that I hadn't grown any pimples while I was asleep, which sometimes would happen from even the lightest weight moisturizers. It's actually exciting to see that it has helped other oily girls so I'm hoping it will work as well for me. I know products work differently for different people but because of your replies I'm less leary of adding oil to already oily skin. It's interesting to see that it works well as a primer for you saschill because I've tried a few primers and I get at least 1 pimple EVERY time. I'm in my late 40's and I was hoping that by my age, the T-zone oil slick would have left but that hasn't happened yet. Anyway, thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate it and I'm gonna keep using the oil and see what happens.

Alleighssun1307107919.397814 PostsRegistered 8/25/2007

I have very oily skin and love JM's argan oil. As others mention, it just seems to balance my skin out and I have seen a reduction in the number of blemishes I get since using it. I am really shocked. I bought her last tsv and figured if I couldn't use it on my face, I could use it on my body but that wasn't necessary. This has become a staple in my routine now.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

stevieb1307108461.731038 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

My skin runs dry to oily in zones and I use this stuff without a problem. I actually have come to really like it and am using it for the warm weather months instead of a serum... Sometimes, I still layer a moisturizer on top of it and sometimes I don't...

PunkyG2101309416649.027318 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Well, just to update...I've been using the Argan Oil for a month now and I LOVE it! I can't believe that it REALLY has balanced my skin. It's crazy. I DO NOT have a single blemish on my chin and I don't remember the last time I was able to say that. I have incorporated the Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Enhanced cream into my routine and haven't had any problems with that either. Now I've gone ahead and ordered the Alpha Hydrox ResQ retinoid product to add to my routine. I'm so excited that the Argan Oil is working for me that I just had to share.

Page 1 of 1