Labor Day Weekend Clearance
138 Members and 9227 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

SPF Eye Cream that does not sting (drugstore) ?

Started 1305212430.307 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1305244607.413 by blahblahvampemerblah
replies

I have been using Avon liiv botanicals, but Avon discontinued. Need inexpensive spf eye cream that does not sting.

Page 1 of 1
PurplePink1305214566.411129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

I use my face cream around my eyes too and it does not sting - it has a chemical sunscreen not a physical one. You can try doing the same - no need for a special eye cream, unless your face cream has fragrance or any other ingredient that irritates your eyes, in which case you can just look for a fragrance free face cream at a drugstore and use it around your eyes. I use Olay creams.

ibb381305214949.1712068 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/12/2011 PurplePink said:

I use my face cream around my eyes too and it does not sting - it has a chemical sunscreen not a physical one. You can try doing the same - no need for a special eye cream, unless your face cream has fragrance or any other ingredient that irritates your eyes, in which case you can just look for a fragrance free face cream at a drugstore and use it around your eyes. I use Olay creams.

I was going to suggest the opposite- look for an eyecream that has NO chemical sunscreens. That's what affects me moreso.

I wouldn't use a face cream though- there are too many ingredients in face creams that could aggravate the eye area. Especially for those that have sensitive skin near the eyes (as I do). The eye area skin isn't too forgiving either. I had a reaction to an Avon eye cream - for a good week-10 days I looked like I had been on a tanning bed without the eye protection goggles! The skin was never as tight afterwards.

PurplePink1305215200.71129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010
On 5/12/2011 ibb38 said:
On 5/12/2011 PurplePink said:

I was going to suggest the opposite- look for an eyecream that has NO chemical sunscreens. That's what affects me moreso.

I wouldn't use a face cream though- there are too many ingredients in face creams that could aggravate the eye area. Especially for those that have sensitive skin near the eyes (as I do). The eye area skin isn't too forgiving either. I had a reaction to an Avon eye cream - for a good week-10 days I looked like I had been on a tanning bed without the eye protection goggles! The skin was never as tight afterwards.

Yes you are right, generally chemical sunscreens are not recommended to be used near your eyes - hence my mentioning of using a chemical sunscreen around my eyes w/o any problem, which is generally not the norm.

However the idea is that the ingredients that aggravate the eye area can also aggravate the skin on your face, possibly in a less noticeable way, so it is good to use a face cream that is gentle enough to be used as an eye cream, that was my point.

Last edited on 5/12/2011

Last edited on 5/12/2011

cerinthe1305222768.1972593 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

Ooooo this is a tough one! I'll be reading... (If I had the time, I would just go to drugstore.com, beauty.com, and sephora.com and look at every eye cream, quickly narrow down to SPF (which would be just a few) and go from there, looking for mineral based ingredients.

What might be the best solution is a CONCEALER with SPF.

100% Pure (100percentpure.com) makes a SPF 20 concealer that is aimed for the eye area (and full of fruit pigments which are high in antioxidants, etc. Its a treatment concealer, imo.) And its nice, I've tried it! Its mineral based and unlikely to sting the eye area.

Last edited on 5/12/2011

Last edited on 5/12/2011

ibb381305226464.11712068 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

It would be great to have one cream multi task the face and eyes! I've rarely been that lucky.

ZaksGrrl1305241355.3271759 PostsRegistered 4/7/2011wherever the spirits lead
On 5/12/2011 cerinthe said:

Ooooo this is a tough one! I'll be reading... (If I had the time, I would just go to drugstore.com, beauty.com, and sephora.com and look at every eye cream, quickly narrow down to SPF (which would be just a few) and go from there, looking for mineral based ingredients.

What might be the best solution is a CONCEALER with SPF.

100% Pure (100percentpure.com) makes a SPF 20 concealer that is aimed for the eye area (and full of fruit pigments which are high in antioxidants, etc. Its a treatment concealer, imo.) And its nice, I've tried it! Its mineral based and unlikely to sting the eye area.

Last edited on 5/12/2011

This is an awesome tip, Cerinthe! I'm off to look for it. It occurs to me that this would be a great base for the lips too, as I love lipstick and most don't have SPF.

Live in the Sunshine
Swim in the Sea
Drink the Wild Air
~~Emerson

winamac11305241596.75730407 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

Clarins used to make an eye cream with SPF 30. I'm not sure if they still do. Lancome bienfait has an spf 20 (eye), but it's not drugstore. Garnier Fructis used to have an spf 15 drugstore, but it's been discontinued. I use a concealer with spf. I have used Neutrogena.

Last edited on 5/12/2011

Last edited on 5/12/2011

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

blahblahva­mpemerblah1305244516.8776144 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If the sunscreen is of the chemical variety, you should probably just take a regular zinc oxide one and use that instead right on top of whatever eye cream you choose. The chemical ones HAVE to be reapplied throughout the day, and what you put on at breakfast won't be working at lunch...and so on. Since I can't redo my makeup, zinc oxide (12% or more) is a lifesaver, and it fully protects against UVA and UVB rays unlike titanium dioxide.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

blahblahva­mpemerblah1305244607.4136144 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/12/2011 ZaksGrrl said:

This is an awesome tip, Cerinthe! I'm off to look for it. It occurs to me that this would be a great base for the lips too, as I love lipstick and most don't have SPF.

If you use an opaque lipstick, you're essentially getting a sunblock. Glosses and sheer lipsticks need a good UVA/UVB screener underneath as they actually intensify the rays.

Also remember that SPF only applies to UVB rays, and a sunscreen that doesn't block UVA rays as well is kind of worthless as they're the most damaging. They're so bad that they make UVBs look rather innocent.

Last edited on 5/12/2011

Last edited on 5/12/2011

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Page 1 of 1