Meant for Mom
15 Members and 13698 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Question for those who only cleanse in the morning with water

Started 1305072228.937 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1305163052.57 by moon

I was reading the thread on "What's a nice morning face cleanser" and many of the responses were use a warm wash cloth no cleanser. My question is do you change your pillow case daily because it will have dust mites, and if you hair is not washed nightly whatever you are putting on your hair will be on your pillow case, plus any of your night treatments will have some transfer. The summertime I perspire at night plus I slather up my hands and are with cream at night. For me water I just would think would not be enough and a lite cleansing also wakes me up. Do you think that water offers enough cleansing?

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Page 1 of 2
ellaphant1305072984.931407 PostsRegistered 12/13/2010

I have dry skin and for years thought I did not have to wash my face in the morning.

Just splash a few times with cool water.

I saw a Dermatoligist and she said no way! I now use a SOAP FREE facial cleanser

morning and night.

jellyBEAN1305073081.4473398 PostsRegistered 6/6/2009

I actually had a dermatologist tell me once that cleansing with water was better than using any of the commercial products on the market. I believe its fine in the AM - just water and a washcloth or clarisonic.

I do not think water is enough to remove makeup though. I use the Boscia cleansing oil to remove makeup and then a washcloth with warm water to wipe off any residue. I spray either pure rose water or an Alba toner and wipe with a cotton swipe. If I use a moisturizer its organic pure coconut oil. Cheap cheap cheap and seems to work better than pricier lines I've used in the past.

depglass1305073296.63322743 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

For you I would say no, because you are worried about a whole host of issues that don't bother me, like dust mites. Maybe I should, but why drive myself crazy. I think a warm wash cloth is plenty for removing perspiration if you cleansed your skin the night before. I didn't read the other thread but my idea of a gentle cleanser is Huggies baby wipes non scented.

blue_weima­raner1305074134.861138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania

I'm not really worried about dust mites or anything like that either. I think if you generally have good hygiene and wash your bedding regularly, there is no real need to re-wash your face. Over-washing can actually cause more oil production. My skin is much happier since I stopped washing with cleanser in the a.m., and I have really dry skin. I splash with warm water and use a toner on a cotton ball. I think as Americans, we get a little over zealous with constant washing. We are kind of an OCD-clean society. Just my 2 cents....

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

Coke Zero ­Addict1305074290.6871360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010
On 5/10/2011 blue_weimaraner said:

I'm not really worried about dust mites or anything like that either. I think if you generally have good hygiene and wash your bedding regularly, there is no real need to re-wash your face. Over-washing can actually cause more oil production. My skin is much happier since I stopped washing with cleanser in the a.m., and I have really dry skin. I splash with warm water and use a toner on a cotton ball. I think as Americans, we get a little over zealous with constant washing. We are kind of an OCD-clean society. Just my 2 cents....

What do you use for toner?

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”

rebel1305074865.1875416 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i just splash water on my face in the shower in the morning.

one of the best things i did for my dry skin was to cleanse only at night.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

OCGurl1305075268.3377273 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

oh my too much to think about - dust mites, hair washing nightly etc, no i dont think about all that - just splash and go :)

Brabls1305075751.7514740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I can't imagine how you would deal with what cured my feet from perspiration odor: unless they were dirty, just water & a wash cloth. Cured my foot odor in 3 days when I was living in the sunbelt!

blue_weima­raner1305075861.5071138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania
On 5/10/2011 Coke Zero Addict said:

I'm not really worried about dust mites or anything like that either. I think if you generally have good hygiene and wash your bedding regularly, there is no real need to re-wash your face. Over-washing can actually cause <em>more</em> oil production. My skin is much happier since I stopped washing with cleanser in the a.m., and I have really dry skin. I splash with warm water and use a toner on a cotton ball. I think as Americans, we get a little over zealous with constant washing. We are kind of an OCD-clean society. Just my 2 cents....

What do you use for toner?

Right now I'm using Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel toner.

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

bear1305076021.803415 PostsRegistered 11/12/2007

I haven't used anything on my face but water for over 30 years. I do put ROC daytime on my face very morning after I shower which has a sunscreen built into it. My skin is also very dry. Water alone does remove my makeup. I do not slather makeup on though. I use a moisturizer, concealor where I need it, bronzer on cheeks, eyeliner from a pencil, mascara that easily washes off, and lip shine. I am 55. I have faithfully used sunscreen on my face since my early 20's so I have very few lines and wrinkles, but all soaps and other cleansers are just too drying.

I don't worry about dust mites.. I change my sheets regularly...{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Don't worry about them.

nutmeats1305076554.26847 PostsRegistered 3/19/2011

i'm with you, cza. i couldn't get into bed unless i have a shower first. i also shower in the morning, and change my sheets every three days- have too, my dog sleeps with me. i also think about stuff like dust mites and having a prefectly clean pillow case. i guess there are better things to think about, but that's how i am. i love to be clean! and i wouldn't dream of not using soap.

Coke Zero ­Addict1305077874.0231360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010

I guess I shouldn't have listed dust mites first because although I wonder about them I think my hair products and moisturized hands and arms leave more residue on my pillow case. I guess I let my mind wonder too much on the concept on no morning cleanser.

haircut1001305079405.137245 PostsRegistered 7/20/2005

One of the best things I have ever done for my skin is to stop using a morning cleanser. I wash with water only- no washcloth or any other device. I bathe before bed every night, change my pillowcases every other day, and wash my hair daily, so I guess I am pretty clean. I remove all my makeup thoroughly at night and apply only Argan Oil to my whole face a few hours before I go to sleep so it is all soaked in and doesn't leave a residue on my bedding. My skin is super dry so I avoid cleansers, even mild and gentle ones, altogether. I remove my makeup at night with makeup remover towelettes (my choice is Josie Maran's) and then jump in the shower where I also rinse my face of any residue. In my case, a morning cleanser is unnecessary and detrimental.

imaclothes­hog1305080133.0320466 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Wow if I did not cleanse my face every morning my face would be a complete zit factory by night. I just could not stand having my face feel dirty and oily all day.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

only shops­ online1305080364.6435455 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

I do my good facial cleansing and moisturizing once per day, usually before I bathe at bedtime. I use a facial cleanser and my Clairsonic, or a microfiber face cloth. In the morning, I rinse with water, and sometimes use a microfiber face cloth, without facial cleanser. If my skin feels dry, I use a little more moisturizer.

I've also stopped wearing make-up, except for special occasions. I usually just use a little mascara and lip gloss. Something is working because in the past couple of days, three people that I know have asked me what I am doing that is different, because my face looks so nice. They can't believe it when I say that I stopped wearing makeup.

I'm 52, and I'm sure I do look my age. But, in my case, even a light makeup routine was aging my appearance. And, my face cleansing routine has really helped my skin.

As far as the dust mite issue, unless you have allergies, I think you are just over-thinking things. We just can't protect ourselves from every mite, and bit of bacteria, in our environments. And, I don't think doing so is especially good for keeping our immune systems strong.

mdmc1305080547.671646 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007West Coast

Dust mites. Are you kidding me? No I have very dry skin. I remove my makeup at night with Ponds cold cream. I alternate. One night I use moisturizer the next night I use Retin A. My skin looks great for my age. So to answer your question , Yes water works for me in the morning.

Candy1305081543.563134 PostsRegistered 8/13/2005So California

I guess I've never considered not washing my face at night AND in the morning. I probably suffer from OCD, 'cause I've never, and I mean never, gone to bed without cleansing my face (and I'm 69 years old). The idea of going to bed with makeup or sweat on my face is just something I can't handle. So cleaning my face in the morning with more than just water just seems natural to me. My skin is in very good condition, not dry and no wrinkles. So I figure for me cleansing twice a day is a good thing.

baby burns1305081986.6378793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

no i do a full face wash at night, use oil from sto., then next night is retnia a. i splash water on my face in my morning shower. you are way too worried about germs, dust mites, oil, ect., are you married. you should try to consentrate on something else, all this worrying is not good for you.

PurplePink1305089207.321129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

Using water only probably works best for dry to normal skin. Combination or oily skin would probably still need a gentle cleanser. It is not a "rule" for anyone to follow and you can see whether it benefits your skin or not.

As for the other worries, hate to say it but really bacteria, dust mites, and other environmental factors are everywhere - in a car, a plane, an office, a supermarket, a cell phone etc. That is why your body has an immune system that needs to have what to fight, otherwise we would all live in air tight, "clean rooms" just like in hospitals, and have our immune system compromised. It does help to maintain an overall good hygiene, not touch your face too much or clean your cell phone with a antibacterial wipe, but anything more than that is too much in my opinion.

chgogirl1305089679.8632154 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

It totally depends on how I feel in the morning. Some mornings I wash my face with water and wash cloth. Some mornings I wash with ABS or other cleansers.

Twins1305090585.5832495 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Chicago

I just wouldn't feel clean without washing my face. At night I use Purpose Gentle or Eucerin Hydrating, and in the morning I use Cetaphil. There is no way I couldn't wash and feel clean, and I have dry skin.

Sharon

ValentinaB­on1305092466.7276934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

If you are changing your pillow case daily due to your worry about dust mites, you must reaize that dust mites would also then be in your bed and you'd should be chaging all your sheets daily too...and vacuuming your mattress and dusting and vaccuming every day, and and and...okay my point being is that dust mites are everywhere and although you can definitely reduce the numbers, you cannot completely eliminate them. That is just life! Hopefully you already know that though. Just enjoy life!

DUH....WENing! :)

mother bear1305095123.7833843 PostsRegistered 12/10/2010Puget Sound
On 5/10/2011 nutmeats said:

i'm with you, cza. i couldn't get into bed unless i have a shower first. i also shower in the morning, and change my sheets every three days- have too, my dog sleeps with me. i also think about stuff like dust mites and having a prefectly clean pillow case. i guess there are better things to think about, but that's how i am. i love to be clean! and i wouldn't dream of not using soap.

I love dogs. Used to have one that slept with me years ago. But I think if you are so concerned about cleanliness that you take 2 showers a day and worry about dust mites, you might not want to have your doggie in bed with you. I'm just saying.

buddylou1305098162.484779 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007

I guess what ever works for you but, for me it would be like brushing my teeth without toothpaste. I just would not feel clean. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

nelc1305129899.09100 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

ITA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I use Witchhazel and start my beauty routine.

Page 1 of 2