Better Than Black Friday
143 Members and 14590 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Shiseido Cosmetics and the Japan Disaster..

Started 1304428058.17 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1304449308.877 by lyn in MI

I need your opinions on this please.....

I haven't used their products in years but I really wanted to try one of their sunblock daily moisturizers and their New Future Solutions LX eye cream.

When I was at the store sampling the few products I was interested in, I didn't even stop to think that Shiseido is manufactured in Japan. As far as the products that are in stores right now, I don't know if there is a way to know how long they have been in the U.S.

I did go on their website and they do have a disclaimer, but I don't know if I totally believe the information that was given.

I know this may sound crazy, but I do think of these things, and maybe it should not be taken lightly. Of course, if you ask the sales rep, they are going to say there are no problems with any of the cosmetics that are in the stores.

Please tell me how you feel about this.

Thanks....

Page 1 of 1
Melnjaz1304428485.92684 PostsRegistered 11/1/2007

I've checked on this--a lot of the products for this company lists mainland China as the country of origin--with a few made in Spain. I would check on the specific products you are interested in purchasing online to determine where they were manufactured.

depglass1304428574.65724298 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

What are you worried about, radioactivity?

SherbearTwo1304429354.551527 PostsRegistered 2/3/2009

Yes I do worry about the radiation that are in products.

I guess my main concern is that water is a main ingredient that go into cosmetics.

I certainly would not want any water from Japan used in the cosmetics I was buying.

JoElla1304431093.49710552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas

I didn't even think about this aspect. WOW! most def food for thought.

But I bet they still have stock stored here.

ok4ablonde21304431974.5838837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

I highly doubt the product in stores now is radioactive. And even if it was made recently, the companies don't use tap water to make their cosmetics, the water is run though industrial-grade purification systems just like pharmaceutical companies use.

Last edited on 5/3/2011

Last edited on 5/3/2011

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

SherbearTwo1304434846.6071527 PostsRegistered 2/3/2009

Thanks guys....

Probably being paranoid....but it is something to think about. I know there is a restriction on food and other products being let into the U.S.

I wonder if this includes cosmetic items....??

Oh well.....I guess you can't worry about everything.

Sher

CelticAngel1304435834.58338 PostsRegistered 5/3/2005

I also thought about this as my favorite skincare line is Kanebo--all their products are made in Japan. My solution was to quickly make a large purchase of the items I use most, under the assumption that stock in stores about 3 weeks ago had been on the shelves for a few months.

I'm not sure if the restrictions on imports extend to cosmetics, I'm guessing they don't.

JoElla1304436346.26310552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas

SherBearTwo, I don't think you are being paranoid, I think you are actually being quite smart. Many of us don't think long term, and assume that stock at local counters or the USA version of beauty websites have endless supplies. I know I assumed, and didn't think long term.

LIBeth1304440869.19145 PostsRegistered 6/29/2009

You're a smart woman. I didn't even think of that radioactivity etc being in Shiseido products. Unfortunately we have to watch out for ourselves whenever we can.

Incidentally, anyone looking to purchase an electronics item for the holidays should really buy it NOW. All the major camera and electronics companies are in Japan and even though some plants were unscathed, employees cannot get there, there are electricity problems, etc. I have it on very good 'inside' authority that this class of items will be hard to find and/or VERY expensive really soon. I can't even imagine Japanese automobiles.

Most importantly though I continue to pray for everyone impacted by these horrible weather disasters. I know someone whose family in Japan has no home, no possessions, nothing. Both there and here in this country -- my heart breaks for them and their animals. Unfathomable.

ok4ablonde21304448631.6438837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Most cameras $200 or less are now made in China or Malaysia, unfortunately.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

lyn in MI1304449308.87724630 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

I found the following info...

JAPAN COSMETIC INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION
April 22, 2011
Revised

Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant I Accident and Safety of Cosmetics Manufactured in Japan
Various reports regarding the accident are released every day by Japanese Government as well as by media including radioactive substances detected in drinking water and agricultural products in some area near to Fukushima. Many of consumers must have concerns about the safety of cosmetics manufactured in Japan.
Japan Cosmetic Industry Association would like to extend the following message to consumers who hope to use cosmetics without concern. Cosmetic products manufactured in Japan are safe based on available data as shown in the below.

- Cosmetics are manufactured in in-door environments highly controlling extraneous substances and particles. The possibility that radioactive substances in the atmosphere would affect the production process is extremely low.

- Provided that the water with acceptable standard level of radioactive substances applied to drinking water designated by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare is used in the all manufacturing processi, and that the product is used every day for one year, the total amount of radiation exposure from the cosmetic product would be no more than 7.8 microsieverts per yearii, which has no effect on human health.

- Japanese Government states the present level of radioactive substances in water supply does not pose any problem when used in contact with human skin by hand washing, shampooing, bathing, etc. The same can be said for cosmetic products, which are mainly applied to the skin. Thus we believe cosmetic products, even if they are manufactured using the said water are safe when used under normal and foreseeable way.
As it is well known, we are exposed to 2,400 microsieverts of naturally occurring radiation per year on averageiii.

We, Japan Cosmetic Industry Association state that cosmetics produced in Japan will not in any way adversely affect consumers’ health due to radioactive substances released into the atmosphere by the recent accident at Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant I.

Japan Cosmetic Industry Association will continue to closely monitor the information released by Japanese Government and other bodies, and will put top priority in our activities to ensure the safety of cosmetics manufactured in Japan to respond to all consumers in the world.

Japan Cosmetic Industry Association
Toranomon 45MT Bldg., 6F, 5-1-5,
Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan

i
Calculations based on hypotheses that total amount of radioactive substances in cosmetics are taken into human body by use of cosmetics. Since the amount of cesium in the water supply is far below of the tentative regulated amount, the tentative regulated amount and the radioactive decay of 131I are used for the calculation, taking into account the days necessary for manufacturing, quality control, shipment from warehouse to consumers.

ii
Calculation using the level of oral intake since no such figure exists for cosmetics at present.

iii
Report by the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR)

eta: ©hk.shiseido.com

Last edited on 5/3/2011

Last edited on 5/3/2011

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

Page 1 of 1