Handbag Clearance
20 Members and 11859 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

OT: Anyone switched from cable tv to U-Verse? How do you like it?

Started 1304123202.503 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1304297313.067 by Nightowlz

I know this is the beauty forum, but you ladies are always the best at answering such a wide variety of topics. I currently have cable television....Time Warner. An AT&T rep. just visited us to discuss the new U-Verse. We already have internet and phone with them (although they will improve...speed, features, etc.), but we did a preliminary signing to switch over to U-Verse to include our televisions. We have a month to watch it and decide if we want to continue (guarantee).

If you've switched over to U-Verse from cable, what have you found to be the pros and cons? I'm always a little leery of going to something I'm not too familiar with, but I've heard about U-Verse for several months.

What have your results been? Thanks all!

Page 1 of 1
mommorpher1304124319.417161 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007Nacogdoches, TX

I don't have Uverse where I currently live, but I had it before moving here. I LOVED it! It was worth every penny! Well, it had similar channels to cable, but the DVR was much better and it was so convenient to switch from one tv to another. The fast internet connection was good and reliable, too.

Brabls1304125143.2214740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Cons: Fewer /no free movies. I switched about 1 year ago. Make sure Time Warner still has free movies: I haven't watched TW for about 1 year.

Pro: U Verse actually services you line if you have problems with reception. Tome Warner told me to give me a call when I had new line installed.

Other than that, I don't notice a difference.

I had to switch because the cable lines are old & my service kept cutting off when it got too hot.

ohioglamgal1304125658.862048 PostsRegistered 3/1/2007

Love it! We made the switch maybe close to two years now.

FYI: Here at my house we don't have the Digital TV but my sister does and they've been just as pleased. We also all have the internet & phone packages included. We just haven't made the switch over to upgrade all the TV's to digital and we're not going to upgrade the service for one smaller TV.

Anyway...as far as the service, it's been great. Very few 'outages' or problems with channels. I can only recall having to call for a problem maybe one time and the resetting of the box is quite easy. You can DVR up to 4 things at one time and it allows you to save a lot of them for watching later. A few times it will 'lock up' but reset itself quickly and I've never lost a program even stuff from months ago that I'm still saving for who knows why.

Also...Uverse no longer carries the Hallmark channel after one those fights they get in but most everything else is there from Time Warner. You do have to pick their packages, though so you can't pick & choose a la carte channels. It can be if you want certain channels(HBO, NFL or that type of sports) you will have to go with the premium more pricey packages.

Sorry...I went on a bit.

Nadine1304133869.3971373 PostsRegistered 6/17/2006

We switched from Time Warner to uVerse and we really like it. I really didn't like the cust service with Time Warner for one thing.

crush1304160913.9471972 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC

Thanks for your replies so far. I've never had much problem with cable, but the price for UVerse is about the same, but we get more for it...dvrs for all tvs, higher speed for internet, phone messaging stuff, etc. I hope we like it as much as you all have.

grammycat1304161859.32360 PostsRegistered 8/13/2007

We love U-Verse. We use the DVR all the time. Also, no outages with this service. We have had Comcast but the rates just kept going up. So we switched to Dish and it seemed like all it took was a cloud and our service went out. With Uverse I can't remember losing service but maybe once or twice in the 2 years we've had it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

scatcat1304174886.791272 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006

We switched to u-verse when it was very first introduced to our area. Big mistake. They over promised and under delivered. Their cs was spotty at best. They are much better now but it was a rough first year. They do charge us $7 for each additional cable box in the house.

Buck-i-Nana1304175330.076384 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 4/30/2011 crush said:

Thanks for your replies so far. I've never had much problem with cable, but the price for UVerse is about the same, but we get more for it...dvrs for all tvs, higher speed for internet, phone messaging stuff, etc. I hope we like it as much as you all have.

I had U-Verse for a year. I enjoyed it for the most part. Was unhappy when they dropped Hallmark channel last fall and have never brought it back.

I had problems with the sound dropping for a couple seconds frequently, and in web searching found many people having that problem. Also, don't know how many TVs in your house or how many watch them, but if you have a house full of kids and they watch on different TVs, be aware that you can only get HD channels on 2 TVs at a time.

I dropped them and signed with Time Warner here just a couple of months ago. Between them dropping Hallmark and the fact that though on a "special" price, I had 2 increases in my bill during the 1 year I was with them, I figured it was time to move on. Apparently your "locked in" price isn't really locked in, it's just your starting point, and if they have a rate increase that increase is applied to your supposedly locked in price.

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

formerly Mostly Invisible

Keli131304178996.297516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006

Love Att U-verse. Switched 2 years ago and would never go back to cable or Direct TV.

We've expereinced no weather related outages like we did with the others. U-Verse is Fiber Optic and all underground.

I personally don't care about the Hallmark channel. I've got many more channels to choose from. I also have my high speed internet and my home phone with caller ID linked to my TV included.

Keli131304179078.587516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
On 4/30/2011 JanM said:
On 4/30/2011 crush said:

I had U-Verse for a year. I enjoyed it for the most part. Was unhappy when they dropped Hallmark channel last fall and have never brought it back.

I had problems with the sound dropping for a couple seconds frequently, and in web searching found many people having that problem. Also, don't know how many TVs in your house or how many watch them, but if you have a house full of kids and they watch on different TVs, be aware that you can only get HD channels on 2 TVs at a time.

I dropped them and signed with Time Warner here just a couple of months ago. Between them dropping Hallmark and the fact that though on a "special" price, I had 2 increases in my bill during the 1 year I was with them, I figured it was time to move on. Apparently your "locked in" price isn't really locked in, it's just your starting point, and if they have a rate increase that increase is applied to your supposedly locked in price.

The price I locked into when I signed up 2 years ago is the price I am still paying.

Mary Bailey1304179283.2776794 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We've had it for 1 year and I love everything except the cost. I hated all comcast service interruptions and dread going back but we do discuss it. I'm relieved to see comcast keeps going up too, I'd rather keep UVerse service.

Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. ~Author Unknown
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. ~George Weinberg

readysk81304179818.823156 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 4/29/2011 Brabls said:

Cons: Fewer /no free movies. I switched about 1 year ago. Make sure Time Warner still has free movies: I haven't watched TW for about 1 year.

Pro: U Verse actually services you line if you have problems with reception. Tome Warner told me to give me a call when I had new line installed.

Other than that, I don't notice a difference.

I had to switch because the cable lines are old & my service kept cutting off when it got too hot.

Actually, U-verse has TONS of free movies on demand (even if you don't subscribe to the movie channels), unless of course all you have is "pure" basic which has very limited channels to begin with. We had TW, too, and switched 4 years ago because of all the outages with cable. Rarely do we have outages with U-verse (usually in the middle of the night when they're downloading new software/updating stuff, which is about once every week or two...takes a minute at most). We love the customer service. They can fix almost anything over the phone (even at 2 am) since the service actually comes in through your phone line then attaches to the cable in your house. Hate the outages with satellite and would never go back to the rates and lousy service with TW. Love U-verse!

Buck-i-Nana1304215751.666384 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 4/30/2011 keli13 said:
On 4/30/2011 JanM said:
On 4/30/2011 crush said:

The price I locked into when I signed up 2 years ago is the price I am still paying.

Well then I'm happy for you. When I was getting ready to drop U-Verse, I asked my neighbor (who signed up the same day I did) if he had seen any price increases through the year and he had as well.

Oh, and the "all under ground fiber optic" depends on where you live. My plat was built in the 60s. The electric and cable weren't put underground and U-Verse ran their lines parallel to the existing Time Warner cable.

cjmcp1304216029.4371566 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

U-verse is not yet available in my area so I don't have any personal experience with it. But I've heard lots of complaints from those who do have it.

crush1304219105.881972 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC

Another question...they say you can get all your local channels. We have several really local channels we get on Time Warner...about 4 community channels (those connected specifically with my city). Can you still get all your local channels??

Buck-i-Nana1304270676.2836384 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 4/30/2011 crush said:

Another question...they say you can get all your local channels. We have several really local channels we get on Time Warner...about 4 community channels (those connected specifically with my city). Can you still get all your local channels??

We couldn't get our community channels on U-Verse here where I am in Ohio. I'm thinking our city and school district have an agreement with Time Warner. I couldn't get them on Satellite either.

crush1304275248.9471972 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
On 5/1/2011 JanM said:
On 4/30/2011 crush said:

We couldn't get our community channels on U-Verse here where I am in Ohio. I'm thinking our city and school district have an agreement with Time Warner. I couldn't get them on Satellite either.

Thanks JanM. There are two channels I'll miss the most if we go through with the switch.

I'm still weighing out everything. I may call Time Warner just to see if they can do better on the package we have now in comparison to the UVerse. It never hurts to check to see who gives the best deal!

Mary Bailey1304275542.646794 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

There are community channels are on UVerse and we can even watch those of other communities (which we couldn't when we had Comcast).

found under Search: Govt Educ and Public Access..... they have 74 communities listed.

Never deprive someone of hope - it may be all they have. ~Author Unknown
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. ~George Weinberg

scatcat1304276960.1931272 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006

Thanks Mary Bailey - didn't think we got our community channel, but I will search for it.

Irshgrl312­011304277544.8113186 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

I had TWC when a rep for Uverse came to my house. I switched to Att Uverse for one year. It was about $15 cheaper a month and we got way more.

One thing I loved about it is that you can DVR more shows at the same time. With TWC in my area you can only DVR 2 thngs at the same time but you have to watch one of the two shows you are recording. With Uverse you can record 4 shows at the same time and watch anything you want while you are recording it.

I moved several months ago and had to go back to TWC because it wasn't available at my new house. I would love to go back to Uverse if I could.

Uverse in my area, has the best customer service, it blows TWC out of the water.

Agster1304285881.503167 PostsRegistered 1/2/2010NJ, MO

I do not have ATT UVerse, but my folks do and they do not like it one bit. They had problems with one or the other for one full year. They do not have a choice where they live so I think that their stuck. I know they had alot of problems with different charges on their bill too. I just had to let you know their experience. We were thinking about switching to Uverse, but after all the difficulties my parents had-we quickly changed our minds.

MakeupHappy, live & love always

Keli131304293218.6177516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
On 4/30/2011 JanM said:
On 4/30/2011 keli13 said:
On 4/30/2011 JanM said:
On 4/30/2011 crush said:

Well then I'm happy for you. When I was getting ready to drop U-Verse, I asked my neighbor (who signed up the same day I did) if he had seen any price increases through the year and he had as well.

Oh, and the "all under ground fiber optic" depends on where you live. My plat was built in the 60s. The electric and cable weren't put underground and U-Verse ran their lines parallel to the existing Time Warner cable.

If you've experienced a price hike I would call them and negotiate a better deal. Many companies will lower your bill just to keep you as a customer or match another companies price.

That's what we did when we first signed up. We told them if they couldn't match or beat what we were paying at the time for similar services then we didn't want to do business with them.

They easily beat the price and we've had no issues ever since.

If they ever did raise our rate I would for sure call them and tell them I wanted to cancel unless they could match so and so's pricing. (Whomever your considering going with).

Believe me, they want to keep you as a customer.

Nightowlz1304297313.0678822 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My sister switched to U-Verse. They did have Direct tv. They had the full package with Direct & said they save $80+ per month. She really likes it so far. U-Verse is not available in our area. I don't know if we would switch if available in our area. Depends on price & packages they offer. We have been with DISH for over 13 yrs. Pretty happy with it other then price.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Page 1 of 1