TSV(R) Preview
96 Members and 15148 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Vitamin C Serum

Started 1304085607.97 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1304271100.187 by 4doggies

What is a good vitamin c serum for someone with dry sensitive skin? I have tried samples of some serums and they seem to sting my skin. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
KweenB1304086751.1072167 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

I have sensitive normal to dry skin. I've only tried a few.

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum - I got a sample of this from Sephora. It had a very sweet smell. I had no reaction to it but it didn't seem to absorb well for me.

Dr. Denese Pro C Illuminating Pads - A pad with a water-like ingredient. Goes on nice and absorbs into my skin really quickly. No bad reaction. Currently the item I use.

Kiehl's Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate - Says it has 10.5 % pure vitamin C. Got a sample directly from Kiehl's. I just tried it last night. It is more like a lotion and also feels very moisturized. I had no reaction from it last night and my first thought is that I like it. Feels really nice and absorbs very quickly.

spenditall­baby1304087238.19633 PostsRegistered 11/20/2007Surfer's Paradise and Flower Capital

The only Vitamin C that I have found not to be drying over time is the Mary Kay timewise replenishing serum+c. It comes in a box of four .25 pump dispensers--I think it's $55 or something--actually a good value. I use it morning and night with no irritation. Someone had once sent me samples of MK and I find their products to be the least irritating for my aging skin. I travel a lot during the week and am basically dealing with two climates and two types of city water. It wreaked havoc with my skin, but the MK stuff seems to calm it down. So I highly recommend the MK "C".

OCGurl1304093993.8437532 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

La Roche Posey makes a good one for dry Skin, with 5% Vitamin C

Active C

you can get it online or at CVS

susanks11304126817.751259 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007

Thanks everyone.

wendydarli­ng1304130096.88647 PostsRegistered 1/15/2009

I highly recommend Obagi's Vit. C serum. It comes in different strengths. I use the highest, 20% but only a couple times a week. I have combo skin & it can be a bit too oily for me so I would think it would be great for dry skin. It doesn't sting or hurt either.

mp03241304130352.37262 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

I too have extremely sensitive skin. Redness, burning with a lot of products. I am just trying Cellex-C for sensitive skin. Have been using for about a week, and so far I have had no redness or burning. Used to be able to use the regular Cellex-C, but as I get older it seems my face gets more and more sensitive.

CAshopper2­0111304130578.8073478 PostsRegistered 12/20/2009
DHC carries one that works perfectly with my sensitive skin. It is the consistency of water, and absorbs quickly and thoroughly. It's a little pricy (38 for a small tube) so I've been looking for a replacement but I think I'm going to reorder because most are too heavy and I too worry about burning with my sensitive skin. If it ain't broke...

birdie1304131650.661373 PostsRegistered 8/5/2006

I still use Devita

(Hi OC!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin})

Last edited on 4/29/2011

Last edited on 4/29/2011

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains Unawakened ~

poregirl1304146870.177404 PostsRegistered 10/12/2009great white north
On 4/29/2011 spenditallbaby said:

The only Vitamin C that I have found not to be drying over time is the Mary Kay timewise replenishing serum+c. It comes in a box of four .25 pump dispensers--I think it's $55 or something--actually a good value. I use it morning and night with no irritation.

Mary Kay timewise replenishing serum+c

Water , Glycerin , Dimethicone , Hydrogenated Polydecene , Butylene Glycol , Propylene Glycol , Betaine , Alcohol , PEG-32 , Maltodextrin , Polyacrylamide , Triethanolamine , Diazolidinyl Urea , Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer , Alcohol Denat. , Disodium EDTA , Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola) Fruit Extract , Argania Spinosa Kernel Extract , C13-14 Isoparaffin , Urea , Terminalia Ferdinandiana Fruit Extract , Glucosamine HCL , Methylparaben , Algae Extract , Yeast Extract , Phenoxyethanol , Lecithin , Silanetriol Trehalose Ether , Myrciaria Dubia Fruit Extract , Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Extract , Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate , Laureth-7 , Xanthan Gum , Punica Granatum Extract , Propylparaben , Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Carbomer , Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract , Pinus Sylvestris Bark Extract , Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose , Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Leaf Extract , Rutin , Benzophenone-4 , Ethylparaben , Chlorphenesin , Sodium Methylparaben , Butylparaben , Palmitoyl Oligopeptide , Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 , Titanium Dioxide

‎Enough with the animal testing. Shame on you BATH&BODYWORKS, L'oreal, Olay ,Cover Girl, Revlon, Maybelline, Neutrogena, Avon

Bella HS1304148366.7578076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

Philosophy's Turbo Boost Powder...comes in a powder form in a small dark bottle and remains highly stabilized. A small spoon comes with it and you just put a spoonful in your hand and mix it in with any serum or moisturizer you use. A terrific product and one less layer of product to put on your face.

Waterlilys1304156951.2971175 PostsRegistered 11/22/2009

Isomers c & e is very good and gentle.....Shopnbc.com has it.

susanks11304164695.4371259 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

OCGurl1304184981.547532 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 4/29/2011 birdie said:

I still use Devita

Last edited on 4/29/2011

Hi Birdie{#emotions_dlg.wub} - I still use Devita too

(i didnt recommend it as it too high of a strength for sensitive skin )

OCGurl1304185078.247532 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

Susanks - Paula's choice also makes a great antioxidant serum, good for dry skin, in the winter i use the Resist Super Antioxidant serum as it is very moisturizing, you can get samples at her website

StyleGrl1304185232.693663 PostsRegistered 4/4/2010
On 4/30/2011 OCGurl said:

I still use Devita

Last edited on 4/29/2011

I still have some of Devita's "old version" left. I'm almost out, have been alternating with Dr. D's Vit C pads which I really like too. Not sure what my next "go to" will be.....

OCGurl1304185955.2837532 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 4/30/2011 StyleGrl said:

I still use Devita

Last edited on 4/29/2011

I still have some of Devita's "old version" left. I'm almost out, have been alternating with Dr. D's Vit C pads which I really like too. Not sure what my next "go to" will be.....

Stylegirl - I am using the Devita 17%, (I didnt like the original sample I tried, but it might have been on the shelf too long or could or whatever, I decided to try it)

I do love the 17%, very similar to the 15%, I highly recommend it, it gives that great glow, its in a dark bottle with a pump so great packaging too

love the stuff - lasts a long time too, I use 3 drops for face, neck, chest, hands

StyleGrl1304187477.05663 PostsRegistered 4/4/2010

I still use Devita

Last edited on 4/29/2011

Stylegirl - I am using the Devita 17%, (I didnt like the original sample I tried, but it might have been on the shelf too long or could or whatever, I decided to try it)

I do love the 17%, very similar to the 15%, I highly recommend it, it gives that great glow, its in a dark bottle with a pump so great packaging too

love the stuff - lasts a long time too, I use 3 drops for face, neck, chest, hands

For some reason I was thinking initially you had thought it was "tackier", thicker in consistency?? Not sure, but I haven't had opportunity of late to follow. But if you give the thumbs up, that's more than good enough for me as girfriend, you are how I discovered in the first place. To which I owe you huge debt of gratitude!!Smile

OCGurl1304189594.0377532 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

For some reason I was thinking initially you had thought it was "tackier", thicker in consistency?? Not sure, but I haven't had opportunity of late to follow. But if you give the thumbs up, that's more than good enough for me as girfriend, you are how I discovered in the first place. To which I owe you huge debt of gratitude!!Smile

stylegrl, yes the sample i tried i didnt care for it, it was thicker and tackier, it was probably about a year ago, so i dont know if it was a bad sample, or been on the shelf too long or one of the original samples, but i decided to try it about 3 months ago and i am glad i did. It might be slightly thicker than the 15% - maybe by a hair, but it is still a watery serum that we all liked,

it is now in a 1 ounce bottle instead of 2, but seems to be more concentrated to where i have been using less, so it last just as long as the 2 oz, I am still on the same bottle from 3 months ago and probably have a couple more weeks left.

I think you will like it as much and i like the new packaging of both the C serum and the SPF 30, (Which is now 19% ZO from 14% and in a tube)

HTH and thanks for the vote of confidence - have a great Saturday {#emotions_dlg.wub}

StyleGrl1304189909.947663 PostsRegistered 4/4/2010

stylegrl, yes the sample i tried i didnt care for it, it was thicker and tackier, it was probably about a year ago, so i dont know if it was a bad sample, or been on the shelf too long or one of the original samples, but i decided to try it about 3 months ago and i am glad i did. It might be slightly thicker than the 15% - maybe by a hair, but it is still a watery serum that we all liked,

it is now in a 1 ounce bottle instead of 2, but seems to be more concentrated to where i have been using less, so it last just as long as the 2 oz, I am still on the same bottle from 3 months ago and probably have a couple more weeks left.

I think you will like it as much and i like the new packaging of both the C serum and the SPF 30, (Which is now 19% ZO from 14% and in a tube)

HTH and thanks for the vote of confidence - have a great Saturday {#emotions_dlg.wub}

This is really great!! Thanks for taking the time to respond with all this fabulous information. You definitely made my day!! Have a great rest of your Saturday too. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

birdie1304258283.5171373 PostsRegistered 8/5/2006

This is really great!! Thanks for taking the time to respond with all this fabulous information. You definitely made my day!! Have a great rest of your Saturday too. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

OC's the BOMB isn't she???!!!! {{{{{{{{{#emotions_dlg.lol}}}}}}}}

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains Unawakened ~

4doggies1304271100.1873501 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love the Lumene single-dose Vit. C capsules. They shouldn't sting, but it is in a silicone base so if you can't use 'cones, you won' like it. This is the only Lumene product that I have really loved!

Page 1 of 1