Fall Fashion Days
89 Members and 12841 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Shaving my face for a year now...

Started 1303925332.33 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1304348608.47 by Coneflower

I had tons of peach fuzz on my cheeks and finally got up the nerve to shave it about a year ago. The first couple of times I shaved dry, a month apart and my face was extremely irritated. I decided that using shaving cream would prevent me from going over areas more than once which I think caused the irritation. It worked - NO irritation. Just smooth skin. Over those next 8 months or so, some really stubborn blackheads that I had on my cheeks and chin gradually "lifted" and went away.

My cheeks and chin really look so much better - clearer, smoother and my pores seemed less visible. I decided that since I was having such great results from these areas, I might as well shave my entire face since I had some clogged pores/blackheads on my nose and forehead that no matter what I had tried, never seemed to go away.

So, yes, I applied shaving cream everywhere, including my forehead and nose (LOL!) and very gently and slowly go over these areas. In the past month or so, my nose has fewer blackheads and my forehead seems smoother. In case you were wondering, I've upped the frequency to once a week - not b/c of hair issues, but because of how its improved the overall texture of my skin. So it's been a bonus "side effect".

I have to shave my legs every day in the summer and it takes a while and I ALWAYS nick myself. Shaving my face takes literally 2 minutes (going slowly) once a week and I've never nicked my face (thank goodness!). My peach fuzz has not grown back any thicker or darker, nor have I had any more facial hair growth since shaving. I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone of you ladies is considering shaving her face.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
VCamp27481303925450.236513 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006

Hmmm, don't know about the face-shaving, but it sounds like you've hit upon your perfect facial cleanser - the shaving cream. Who would have ever thought??

GmaJewell1303926090.147201 PostsRegistered 12/10/2010NE of Seattle

Thanks Coneflower! I have been wondering about this. Thank you so much for giving us an update on what works for you! I might have to try it.. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Montana1303926377.411514 PostsRegistered 7/1/2005

Coneflower, what brand of razor do you use? I prefer shaving to tweezing, but disposables irritate my skin, even with shaving cream.

Coneflower1303926661.16378 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 4/27/2011 VCamp2748 said:

Hmmm, don't know about the face-shaving, but it sounds like you've hit upon your perfect facial cleanser - the shaving cream. Who would have ever thought??

Hi VCamp, My skin is oily and has been break-out prone my entire life. I've tried lots of different products and see a derm. regularly. For me, shaving amounts to a gentle exfoliation and my skin seems to like it. But I don't use the shaving cream as my cleanser. Coneflower

Coneflower1303927359.33378 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 4/27/2011 Montana said:

Coneflower, what brand of razor do you use? I prefer shaving to tweezing, but disposables irritate my skin, even with shaving cream.

Sorry to hear that Montana. I use Gillette Daisy (2 blades). My skin is quite sensitive too - I just go over my face very lightly and never go over an area twice. I also do this at night to avoid any reactions with makeup products. Maybe your skin is just too sensitive for shaving.

luvshopp1303927719.823436 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

Don't you love it???? I've been shaving for a couple of years now, although I don't do my forehead; I only wish I started years and years ago. Love the results but I dry shave and then have to put some argan oil and some moisturizer on aftwards to avoid getting little tiny bumps around my lip area. That's the only thing I find annoying but still love it!

Gooday1303927877.0910014 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

I have bristly individual hairs coming out of both my first and second chin(s). I swipe them every day with my razor. I also have a birthmark/mole right above my lip with hairs growing out and I do the same thing. People say, why don't you use a tweezers? I can't grab the little suckers and it's easier to just give a swipe every day.

Romi681303946719.17382 PostsRegistered 3/26/2011
It's great for exfoliation!

KatheeGee1303947136.69342 PostsRegistered 7/27/2010

I recently started doing this because, like my mom, i have random long hairs that like to grow all over my cheeks and chin. Embarassing I know but it takes care of the problem. I usually use purity or another cleanser to wash my face and before rinsing that off i shave. It does leave a nice, smooth canvas!!

Coneflower1303947575.3678 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 4/27/2011 Romi68 said: It's great for exfoliation!

Exactly. It's a little scary the first time, but my skin looks so much better!

momcat1303948619.356185 PostsRegistered 9/12/2010

I dry shave and have no problem. I've been doing it long enough that my hair barely grows back.

Let me know if you suddenly become interesting.

baby burns1303965134.1938793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

i also have been shaving for years, it so good for the face, you exfoliate every time. so its good for the skin, amagine how much money we have saved, not paying for waxing. i hated that wax on me, thats why i started shaving in the first place, plus its fun too.

raildog1303965523.6731112 PostsRegistered 9/19/2010

Coneflower, what shaving cream do you use? I would be afraid that the shaving cream could cause breakouts. Thanks

oceanair1303966113.157493 PostsRegistered 3/23/2005

Waxing or shaving my face breaks out when my hair comes back in. I am so frustrated at 53 I have breakouts and aging skin.

LightBlue1303967528.393165 PostsRegistered 3/14/2011San Antonio, Texas
On 4/27/2011 angalina said:

Coneflower, what shaving cream do you use? I would be afraid that the shaving cream could cause breakouts. Thanks

I am curious to see what Shaving Cream you are using as well??

After watching Caroline, on the Real Housewives of NJ, tell the world she shaved her face I tried it. But I used my cleanser with a razor. I have sensitive skin, prone to breakouts and guess what I broke out...

Do you use 1 razor only for the face? TIA

Ms. LightBlue
#1 Geller Girl For Life
St. Tropez tanned

tendercolo­rs1303980940.113940 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007sunny and warm in BEAUTIFUL San Diego county, CA

Wink NOT as unusual as it sounds! I worked in cosmetics for years and all of my Asian clients (wealthy women!) shaved their face regularly because it exfoliated, made the texture better because of the increased cell turnover and as some have said , blackheads and flaky or rough patches are gone! They said "Why do you think so many Asian women have such nice skin?" They were right because they had lovely skin. Also from what I learned in school and seminars and classes, men's skin where they shaved was always soft and had a younger texture from shaving!

I don't shave my face but I do use a facial depilatory! I was tired of dealing with that peach fuzz that you get on the sides of your face up on the upper part of your jaw by the "sideburns". I noticed I was always getting blush and foundation kind of sticking there. So one day I got some facial Nair with a brush, it is mostly used for upper lip and such so it is very gentle. I went ahead and put it there on the fuzzy sideburns and it came out so soft and smooth. I noticed how nicely my makeupwent on there. Now I do my whole face! It chemically "eats" off all the rough patches and makes my skin like glass!

But after reading the benefits of cleaning out the pores and blackheads I think I will switch to the shaving as well!

Not many years ago before they developed the diamond tipped machines (like NuBrillance and Dr. D's) professional dermabrasions they DID used to have a special small blade that they used for "peels" and they would shave each woman's face (after their facial) with a special solution and the blade and go all over the face. It got rave reviews and had a very good following, until technology brought the machines into use.

I break out also but I know I used to use a natural Oatmeal and milk soap with a shaving brush to cleanse my face for many years and never broke out when I used it. Maybe you could try an oil free creamy foam or something like that to keep from getting break outs. Also the company Kiss My Face has a really nice shaving lotion with Aloe that works really well. Maybe you could use something like one of those and then wash it off your face with something that agrees with your skin?

I HTH some. I am going to get a good razor (I can't use disposables cause they give me rashes) and I am going to start doing it. I hope I have as good as results as some I have read here!

A prayer for the wild at heart that are kept in cages. - Tennessee Williams

kitkom1303985217.545646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

For you women that shave your faces, are you married??? How does your dh feel about feeling a stubble on his WIFE??? Sorry ladies but women shaving their face is gross. Why not just use a cream depilatory? Smoother and at least is more feminine. It just seems like a third world practice to me. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

Silverstar1303987918.6972793 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007

i want to try it but i'm afraid. i have fine black hair from my cheek down to my chin. maybe i'll try it once when i take a week vacation and see what happens. i am tired of plucking the stray eyebrows from my chin area.

Silverstar1303987963.9472793 PostsRegistered 4/22/2007
On 4/28/2011 kitkom said:

For you women that shave your faces, are you married??? How does your dh feel about feeling a stubble on his WIFE??? Sorry ladies but women shaving their face is gross. Why not just use a cream depilatory? Smoother and at least is more feminine. It just seems like a third world practice to me. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

think outside the box, lol!

laurachipp­ewa1303989263.453370 PostsRegistered 7/2/2006

You dont get stubble on your face like a man. You should try it before you bash it.

I dont use a depilitory because I think putting caustic chemicals on your face is gross.

Unless your husband is attached to your hip, he doesnt have to know you are shaving your face behind the closed doors in your bathroom!! sheesh!!

luvshopp1303991487.52436 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007
On 4/28/2011 laurachippewa said:

You dont get stubble on your face like a man. You should try it before you bash it.

I dont use a depilitory because I think putting caustic chemicals on your face is gross.

Unless your husband is attached to your hip, he doesnt have to know you are shaving your face behind the closed doors in your bathroom!! sheesh!!

ITA laura, absolutely no stubble and husband doesn't even know I do it. Before shaving, I tried it all and by far, this is the best method. Depilitory left me red (as well as chemicals) and this is so fast and easy, who cares how it's done? Just make sure you clean your blade with rubbing alcohol after each use.

Sunshine K­ate1303991715.1312002 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 4/28/2011 luvshopp said:
On 4/28/2011 laurachippewa said:

ITA laura, absolutely no stubble and husband doesn't even know I do it. Before shaving, I tried it all and by far, this is the best method. Depilitory left me red (as well as chemicals) and this is so fast and easy, who cares how it's done? Just make sure you clean your blade with rubbing alcohol after each use.

I suggest trying it first also, before bashing, kitkom. It works for me too.

Respectfully ~
Kate

glitzi1303994600.747196 PostsRegistered 3/1/2008
Beauties...rest assured; As stated: Asian women have been shaving their faces for years!! A friend in Florida recently called me to say she had seen Christy Brinkley on a talk show. She had been discussing the fact that she "shaves" !! Yes, I have been doing this for years. Some of you mentioned how unfeminine this practice is....I am very discreet...Done in private. I use a shave cream and a multiple blade razor. Also, something I think has helped me immeasurably...I made myself some "TEND SKIN". (The recipe is available on the internet). It is expensive to buy, however, it is available in Ulta and Sephora. The product prevents the ingrown hairs. Honestly...I have had no negative issues. Only wonderful skin that is admired. I make no secret of my methods among my friends. Count yourselves among them!! Have a nice day!!

tsavorite1303996605.3874732 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Hi ladies....just a few weeks ago I decided to do this.....funny I spotted this thread yesterday and thought I have to comment here! Anyway....I haven't had any issues....what I did was wash my face at bedtime....left my face wet...and very gently ran the razor all over....since my face was already moist from washing I didn't notice any issues and had no breakouts....I have rosacea and very reactive easily broke out skin.

Now for my question.....are you supposed to shave in a upward stroke on the cheeks or all downward strokes? does it matter?

Since I have only done this 2 times I have no clue what I am doing and was just playing around....I have very tiny shorter almost white little hairs on the sides of my face....and I thought this would help with dry patches of skin and some of the under the skin bumps I have there....too early to tell...but so far I like the feel and no stubble whatsoever....you would have to have very thick coarse hair to have stubble....like a man does......so no worries on that one LOL.

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

sparkygirl1303997094.0434621 PostsRegistered 10/2/2006

If you shave course, dark hair then yes you will get a stubble. But if you are just shaving off light colored peach fuzz, there's no stubble. I shave my face once a week, in the shower before I do my underarms and legs. It's really not that big a deal...no drama. Takes about 5 seconds...I literally just run the razor over my cheeks and jaw area. Your husband would never know unless you did something like shave a "sideburn" area, for example. Then it would grow in stubbly. I have a bit of extra hair near that area and I WAX that so there's no stubble.

Again, the key is keeping to only to light colored peach fuzz.

I've been doing this for years....looks great and everyone always compliments my skin and makeup.

For me, a cream depilatory on my face is way too irritating! Not to mention time consuming. The razor is so much easier and I personally get no irritation or bumps from it.

This is extremely common. Women have been removing hair from their face and eyebrows for centuries...What is the difference whether it is plucked, waxed, depilatoried, epilated, removed with a thread, or shaved? All the same, whether you admit it to yourself or not. What you have is a mental block. You associated shaving with the male experience of "hair on the face", but we ladies DO have extra hair on our face whether you, your husband, or anyone else wants to think about it. Better to remove it, right? So who cares what method as long as it makes us feel and look better?

Last edited on 4/28/2011

Last edited on 4/28/2011

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next