Fashion & Accessories Clearance
144 Members and 14047 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How do you get rid of millia???

Started 1303863191.773 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1304110267.947 by champagnetaste

Help! I have noticed that I have several millia on the top of each of my cheeks. How do you get rid of these without going to the dermatologist? What is your favorite product to use, how do you apply it and how often?

Page 1 of 2
Sunshine K­ate1303863396.8911956 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

I use either Paula's Choice 2% BHA or Origins Spot Remover. It takes several applications. I like using a Q-Tip or end of a toothpick and dotting just a little directly on the milia.

Respectfully ~
Kate

Luckylu II1303863678.1071408 PostsRegistered 2/7/2011
On 4/26/2011 Sunshine Kate said:

I use either Paula's Choice 2% BHA or Origins Spot Remover. It takes several applications. I like using a Q-Tip or end of a toothpick and dotting just a little directly on the milia.

Wow, I was wondering this myself, since a product I have just started using seems to be the culprit for something I've never had an issue with....an eye product, but I just read this on a forum called essentialdayspa.com and don't know if it works but to make it short, The women goes to her derm and asks the same question and they say:

"My doctor just smiled, and said (nearly verbatim), "Well, many dermatologists would like you to think that, especially since it's a money racket. But it's not the case. What I will always swear by and have told my patients to use, and it has always been successful, is extra gentle baby shampoo with no color, fragrance, or anything. Actually, the best product you can use for millia is DHS clear shampoo. You should use it to clean your eyelashes and eye area every day to clear up the oil and bacteria. And I personally don't recommend using any eye creams, but that's just me. And if there are a couple rogue spots left over on patients that have more serious cases of it, we can always snip them."

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1803

Last edited on 4/26/2011

Last edited on 4/26/2011

"Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest."
— Sam Levenson

littlelill­ie1303863835.247 PostsRegistered 10/5/2010

I think I will try the Origins Spot Remover. This is a gross question but do they just disappear or does the Origins make the skin really thin so you can extract them?

ElvisShops1303864527.834553 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007
On 4/26/2011 littlelillie said:

I think I will try the Origins Spot Remover. This is a gross question but do they just disappear or does the Origins make the skin really thin so you can extract them?

Evidently this works for a lot of people. However, I've been using it on a millia for months with no improvement.

“When I feed the hungry, they call me a saint. When I ask why people are hungry, they call me a Communist.”
― Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Brazilian archbishop

scottygal1303864702.9171815 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

Origins makes them dissapear, but it is VERY drying. I can't even dot it on the milia under my eyes. (I'm trying another product for that )

I'm interested in this shampoo. Are you washing your face with this? Does that alone get rid of the milia? (last question for Luckylu)

Last edited on 4/26/2011

Last edited on 4/26/2011

blue_weima­raner1303864945.0231138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania

One of my friends has a bad case of milia..she has alot under her eyes, and it is very noticeable. {#emotions_dlg.sad} She went to a derm and they gave her a prescription for retinol. She's been using it for awhile, and honestly, it doesn't look any different to me. Maybe it takes a long time to disappear? Sorry I'm not more helpful, I'm interested in the responses you get, though!

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

scottygal1303865045.1471815 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

For me, it takes awhile to rid these darn things.

naturalfan1303865125.6174192 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I had two on my jawline and no matter what I used, they did not budge. Finally got rid of them when I had a facial and the esthetician extracted them. Sounds gross but that is the only thing that worked for me. They have not returned either.

blue_weima­raner1303865380.531138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania
On 4/26/2011 scottygal said:

Origins makes them dissapear, but it is VERY drying. I can't even dot it on the milia under my eyes. (I'm trying another product for that )

I'm interested in this shampoo. Are you washing your face with this? Does that alone get rid of the milia? (last question for Luckylu)

Last edited on 4/26/2011

scottygal,

(sorry, I'm not luckylu) but I was told my my derm to use DHS Clear shampoo when I was having a horrible outbreak of contact dermatitis on my eyelids. I was washing my hair with this, not my face. He said that the shampoo can get in contact (even for a second...before you rinse it off) with your eyes and cause dermatitis. Now, I don't know about milia, but I thought that was from using products that are too heavy for your skin (?)

Here is a link to the DHS shampoo. You can also buy it at the pharmacy counter at the drugstore. No prescription necessary, but you have to ask the pharmacist for it. HTH

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

GoodStuff1303865454.4714287 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

I had a dermatologist extract a milia from my cheek years ago. It left a permanent hole, like a very enlarged pore. The milia looked better than the "solution". I'd be very careful with having them removed.

scottygal1303866045.91815 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

blue,

Thanx for your reply. I've milia under my eyes (small, but I know it's there & don't want it to get bigger) It's from a heavy eye cream & I think a concealer. Anyhoo, I'm very sensitive to "cones" & can get milia anywhere. Thought people were washing their face with this poo to rid the milia.

baby burns1303876939.6338793 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007

my sister used to get this alot when we were kids, my mother would get pads put warm water on them, and lay it over her eyes. it always went alway

saravirgo0­0151303878158.423113 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010NJ

I've found that using a retinol product and washing my face twice a day has helped to reduce my milia. They aren't completely gone but have significantly reduced. I also diligently check ingredients in anything that I put on my face because as someone else posted I am sensitive to silicone products.

I have read that warm compresses everynight also help with milia. I have not been diligent enough to know if that makes a difference.

Morning: BE Facial Cleanser and BE Moisturizer for Combo skin (the moisturizer for dry skin contains a silicone product and another poster said it was causing her milia)

Night: BE Deep Cleansing Foam, then Help Me nighttime treatment (only three times a week) and Hope in a Bottle

I was using the Miracle Worker pads every night for three weeks then switched to three times a week until I finished the container.

Last edited on 4/26/2011

Last edited on 4/26/2011

SFGiantsgi­rl1303880342.7471170 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010

I have them under my eyes cannot stand them. I really need to get some Origins Spot Remover I think mine were caused by wearing thick creams under my eye/glasses combo. I have been using a scrub cleaner for a few months it, seem to help but they are sill there.

luvs2shop1303882833.21430 PostsRegistered 5/4/2006

Ladies...I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. Wink But I do remove my own milia and have done it for years. I typically get them around my eye areas, upper and lower. Here's what I do but I will tell you try it at your own risk:

You will need a thin sewing needle & tweezers, rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide (to sterlize your tools) a free-standing mirror (you'll need two steady hands) and good lighting. You also need patience as it takes about 48 hours.

Clean your needle and carefully use it to pierce the skin directly over the white part of the milia. You don't need to make a big crater or anything, just be sure to puncture the skin. Then carefully use your tweezers to squeeze it a couple of times as if you're trying to remove it. (Try to only get the milia and not to grab up a lot of surrounding skin.) What this does is irritate the pore or follicle and it will want to expel it. Step one is done and now you wait a day or two. I usually do this on a Friday night if I don't have anything special going on for the weekend because the area can be red and puffy for a while.

Sunday evening, grab the mirror and the tweezers again. The milia may look more like a mini-pimple or may just be little sore and irritated. Get a good grip on it by the sides w/ your tweezers and give it a firm but gentle squeeze. The skin over the milia will be a little flaky or dry and usually it will pop right out. No pus or anything, just a little white dot. If it doesn't come right out, you may need to use the tweezers to peel the little dry piece of skin off the top but mine usually pop right out. Just be sure to use common sense...be super careful with a needle or tweezers near your eye, clean the area before and after you work on it and clean what ever you use on your skin. And you have to be patient! It has to rest and dry up between the initial skin poking and the final squeezing. Really, two days usually works.

Good luck...oh, and a derm doctor once told me there's not much you can do to prevent them and some people are just more susceptable to them than others. But he does suggest using an eye gel rather than an eye cream which can bring them on more quickly and more often.

I'm just here for the jewelry! (Especially the LQP jewelry!)

scottygal1303905119.531815 PostsRegistered 4/6/2006

luv2,

That's pretty much what I do, except I use a dot of Origins Spot remover. I have some in the hollows under my eyes, and cannot do that on such a tender area. I'm currently using a Yonka product reccommended by LyninMi, and Isomers Eye Peel. Hopefully, I'll eventually see results. Thanx

BESwede1303910832.176218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

My dermatologist recommended a hot compress used twice a day and that got rid of the Milia I got after trying a new eye cream. Went that route since it was painless, no cost and no risk of scarring or infection. You'll also want to review your products to see what you are using that is causing the Milia. In my case it was mineral oil and/or petroleum in the eye cream, both of which the dermatologist said should never be used on the face and especially near the eyes. Got rid of that product and haven't used anything since that has those ingredients so Iv'e not gotten any more Milia.

47, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

birdie1303912269.7271373 PostsRegistered 8/5/2006
On 4/27/2011 scottygal said:

luv2,

That's pretty much what I do, except I use a dot of Origins Spot remover. I have some in the hollows under my eyes, and cannot do that on such a tender area. I'm currently using a Yonka product reccommended by LyninMi, and Isomers Eye Peel. Hopefully, I'll eventually see results. Thanx

Yonka??? Do tell!! I have about 4 or 5 of these pesky "spots" too! Not sure if they're cholesterol deposits or milia..Never heard of Yonka but really value Lyn's rec's! TY!

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains Unawakened ~

smhr661304006561.832384 PostsRegistered 9/5/2010Laid Back and Mellow Small Town USA
On 4/26/2011 luvs2shop said:

Ladies...I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. Wink But I do remove my own milia and have done it for years. I typically get them around my eye areas, upper and lower. Here's what I do but I will tell you try it at your own risk:

You will need a thin sewing needle & tweezers

Clean your needle and carefully use it to pierce the skin directly over the white part of the milia. You don't need to make a big crater or anything, just be sure to puncture the skin.

But he does suggest using an eye gel rather than an eye cream which can bring them on more quickly and more often.

I've done this same method by using a sterilized needle and steady hand. I got these from using Hydroshield for the face and eyes. Once, they started popping up, I discontinued both Hydroshields immediately. I used the needle method for the few ( 2-3 ) around my eyes, and a glycolic wash for the few on my face. I washed my face with the glycolic cleanser along with luke warm water, and immediately scratched the few off my face. It worked like a charm. I'm sure the lukewarm water made my skin supple enough to make this method possible. However...it took a few glycolic washes to get rid of them altogether. I don't endorse the needle method. But it is how most dermatologist remove them.

Eye creams don't neccessarily bring on milia. I used several eye creams and never had a problem with milia. The problem can be more deep rooted and googling milia gives a better understanding.

mature, dry, sensitive, makeup optional skin. keep it healthy with NIA24, MD Forte, physical sunscreen and Fancl cleanser.

champagnet­aste1304021589.48149 PostsRegistered 9/23/2010
On 4/28/2011 smhr66 said:
On 4/26/2011 luvs2shop said:

You will need a thin sewing needle & tweezers

Clean your needle and carefully use it to pierce the skin directly over the white part of the milia. You don't need to make a big crater or anything, just be sure to puncture the skin.

But he does suggest using an eye gel rather than an eye cream which can bring them on more quickly and more often.

I've done this same method by using a sterilized needle and steady hand. I got these from using Hydroshield for the face and eyes. Once, they started popping up, I discontinued both Hydroshields immediately. I used the needle method for the few ( 2-3 ) around my eyes, and a glycolic wash for the few on my face. I washed my face with the glycolic cleanser along with luke warm water, and immediately scratched the few off my face. It worked like a charm. I'm sure the lukewarm water made my skin supple enough to make this method possible. However...it took a few glycolic washes to get rid of them altogether. I don't endorse the needle method. But it is how most dermatologist remove them.

Eye creams don't neccessarily bring on milia. I used several eye creams and never had a problem with milia. The problem can be more deep rooted and googling milia gives a better understanding.

smhr66...What glycolic cleanser are you using?

"...what doesn't kill us is making us stronger..."

JENLOVESTO­SHOP1304026834.38932 PostsRegistered 6/2/2006

My husband & I both the Isomers Eye Renew peel and it's wonderful! He had a few milia under one eye and after several uses, they are gone. You apply this 2-3 times a week and leave on a few minutes. It also really brightens up the eye area.

tropicalbe­achgirl1304027412.862649 PostsRegistered 6/17/2005

Dr. Denese=milia

In diving to the bottom of pleasure we bring up more gravel than pearls ~ Honore de Balzac

LtEve1304031659.6588 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011
On 4/26/2011 ElvisShops said:
On 4/26/2011 littlelillie said:

Evidently this works for a lot of people. However, I've been using it on a millia for months with no improvement.

I had four or five beneath each eye, on each side of my nose. I've been using Origins Spot Remover for almost a year, and I only have two remaining on one side and one on the other. On my skin, the Origins seems to dissolve the milia rather than having to extract them, although I have been "scratching" the top of each one with the toothpick before I apply the Origins. I've just started using the Philosophy Miracle Worker Anti-Aging Pads and eye cream from the last TSV, and my milia does seem to be disappearing.

tennpal151304032507430 PostsRegistered 12/15/2005

I use the "needle method" too. I've only had a few.... but they drove me so crazy that I had to operate on myself. I know it's not usually a good idea... but what can I say? I can't see using another expensive product for months that "might work".

tessan1304032996.021211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

me too, needle method, quick and effective

Page 1 of 2