Better Than Black Friday
15 Members and 15333 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Good conditioner for newly highlighted hair?

Started 1260595150 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1260753870 by Jam
I just got my hair highlighted 2 days ago, something I only do about 2 to 3 times per year. Anyway, my hair tends to feel so dry and often gets knotted easily after my color and I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a deep hydrating conditioner for my hair. I prefer cheaper drugstore solutions if there are good ones out there. My hair is a litle below my shoulders. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
luvmygumbo12606396371792 PostsRegistered 5/18/2009
I use the Pureology line and it is terrific for color-treated hair. Last visit, my hairdresser commented on how great my highlights looked after 6 weeks! The condition of my hair is great also.
The product that I really like is the Nanoworks Luxury Hair Masque. Expensive, but I bought mine on ebay for about half the price.
Julie

buddylou12606398735052 PostsRegistered 4/24/2007
Pureology is the best for my highlighted hair. I use the moisture formula and it is in good condition and my color stays bright.

belleandme12606399748644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois
hi!
i say wen. i am blond (dark) and need to highlight twice a year. but since my hair is curly and dry anyway, the highlighting just makes it really crispy! the wen has saved me from needing to cut my bangs shorter. plus i put it on my hair dry when i am between showers. i think there is a tsv tomorros?? give it a try! hth!!
--
"if My people will humble themselves and turn from their ways, then I will hear them from heaven and heal their land"

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

HollyMarie1260646389964 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007Ohio
Thanks everyone. Where do you buy the Pureology line?

Lotus~126064665535770 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
I like the original formula of Nexxus Hemectress......I stocked up. I haven't tried the new formula yet, but I'm sure it's also very good.

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

Jam12606485521600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
HollyMarie, I highlight my hair and process to a very light shade so I speak from experience here...
I found this product recomendation on a blog from a top hairdresser in LA and this is the absolute best for processing hair. She recommends using before and after processing but I was blown away with just the after. The problem after processing is in the changing of the PH of the hair and this restores it to better condition than when you started. Wella In-Depth Treatment and I purchase this at Sally's. To top it off it is cheap..like 7 or 8 dollars. DON'T PROCESS WITHOUT IT!!!!
I never had any luck with Pureology. I might have received a bad batch but my hair was like straw after using and I wouldn't even dream of trying it again. Prior to the Wella In-Depth, the only other thing that I had success with was (sit down and hold on to something) Real Mayo. Disgusting! But it works. Coat the hair, wrap with foil, blow dry to heat and leave on for a while. I know, I know... that's why I love the Wella!!
--
The former Miss Queenofsheeba.....

Don't make me use UPPERCASE! ~~~ Maxine

How do you prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out! ~~~ Maxine

Sister Gol­den Hair126065033014610 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008
After you shampoo and condition your hair then you need to use a leave-in treatment to really help the dry hair.
L'anza Trauma Treatment
Biolage Smoothing Serum
Moroccan Oil
--
Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Jam12606513181600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
In addition to my earlier post: I went to her site and copied some of the information about the Wella In-depth for you. It explains why "typical" shampoos and conditioners have never worked for me after processing.
From her site:
An after-treatment is absolutely necessary for oxidative hair colour treatment ( any colour with peroxide). Only with these after-treatments can residues of hydrogen peroxide, alkali or perusulphate ( bleach) be removed. When you put your hair through the colouring process you are shaking up the pH level. After a colour, perm, straightening or any chemical process is complete the hair goes into a type of 'mini-shock' and the single best way to 'un-shock' and restore & relax your hair to its original pH level is to apply an after-treatment's for 10-20-30 minutes.
Its really very simple after your last rinse you apply the product to hair, comb thru, leave on: 10-20-30 minutes and rinse. That's it, you're ready to go and your hair is one happy damn camper!
Effects of an after-treatment:
Removes hydrogen peroxide, alkali, and peroxide residues.
Closes the cuticle layer and give the hair shine
Stabilises colour for longer durability of the colour
Protects from creeping oxidation
Makes the hair easier to comb
The trick here is using the right product..it must have the correct ingredients to accomplish the process. There are hundreds of lines of colour...Matrix, Redken, Clairol, Framesi, Goldwell, Renbow each one makes an after-treatment product. Its just not one of those "glitzy" packages or marketing wonders that drown our universe. But a very necessary part of the process for healthy hair. I think the world of Wella's and have used it for years, the price is super reasonable as well.
At Sally's you can purchase an after-treatment by Wella, called "IN -DEPTH", one of the best kept secrets on the hair planet! I would highly advise getting a couple jugs and using frequently if your hair is damaged, or even dry... last I checked it was under $5.00! and is a whopping 16 oz! This is an excellent After-Treatment, it deals with the pH level better than anything I have found.
Remember, having your hair at the proper pH level (slightly acidic - 4.5 to 5.5) produces shiny-healthy-happy hair.
--

rebel12606602665465 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
this wella product sounds awesome!
thanks
hopefully this is a product the general public can purchase.
i get highlights and didn't know about the ph thing

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Jam12606633171600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
> this wella product sounds awesome!
> thanks
>
> hopefully this is a product the general public can
> purchase.
>
> i get highlights and didn't know about the ph thing
rebel, It is! I wish that I had found it years ago! I always used great conditioners and products not knowing about the PH thing. I always hated the after process part because it took so long to get it back in condition. Not now! This stuff is amazing! The first time I used it I was floored!
--

Jam12606634101600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
Forgot to add that anyone can buy it at Sally's.
--

rebel12606641635465 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
oooohhh wwweeee! i cannot wait to try it.
my hair has been heavily highlighted in the past several months. i went for a few lowlights and somehow ended up with an all over very dark color. ugghhh
that was back in the beginning of oct. and the color has hung on so i just got more highlights last week.

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

luvmy3boyz126066436558 PostsRegistered 10/26/2009Palm Springs Ca.
Wow I cant wait to try this product.I have tried Pureology and it works great however, if Wella is cheaper and works just as well and if not better, Im game. Ive tried a few different products from Sallys that I really like.Theres one prod. called "Hair One" thats like" Wen" , same concept , much cheaper and works great !!Someone posted about it before , so I gave it a try and was totally impressed !! B-)

HollyMarie1260673080964 PostsRegistered 12/14/2007Ohio
Jam-thank you so much for your suggestions and all the info you gave. I can't wait to try the Wella. I will be near a Sally's tomorrow so will see if I can find it. I'll let you know how I like it. Thanks again!

Jam12606834751600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
I hope you both like it as much as I do! My hair was always kind of crispy after highlights and I tried everything! It just seemed to take too long to get back into great condition again. Didn't really know that I needed a specific product for this until I tried this product! It seals the cuticle and makes it shiny and soft. It really felt better after using this than before I even had the highlights.
I'm anxious to hear if it works for you! I hope it does!:-x
--

rebel12607110195465 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
do you use it only before and after highlighting or do you use this like once a week or twice a month?
oh and this question is for JAM ,thanks!!

winamac126071241519053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana
Jam--thanks for the info on the Wella. Is Sally's the only place to get it. What sizes do they carry in their stores? TIA Win

PJjamas1260720716259 PostsRegistered 11/9/2005
When I was a teenager (back in the '70s, ugh !) I used Wella Balsam Shampoo and conditioner and Wells Kolestral treatment. My hair was down to my waist and was very thick (still is). Wella products kept my hair in fantastic shape and I was always complimented on how beautiful my hair was.
Makes me wonder why I strayed away from Wella products. Hmmm, well I am going to Sally's today to get the in-depth treatment. I just got my highlights refreshed a week ago and went a very light, pale blond this time so this is great timing for me !
Thanks, Jam for this post !!
PJ
--
Then give to the world the best you have, and the best will come back to you.
--Madeline Bridges

BeautyAddi­ction12607534375827 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007NY
Jam, how do I use this Wella In depth? Do I shampoo and condition and then use the Wella, or forego the conditioner and just shampoo and use the Wella In-Depth?
--
Edited by valstybaby at 12/13/2009 4:17 PM PST

Last edited on 12/13/2009

OVER 60: SKIN - menopausal, dry, not sensitive, few eye wrinkles, mouth to chin (puppet) lines.
HAIR - dry, dyed, curly, frizzy shoulderr length/NOW STRAIGHTENED

Jam12607538701600 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007
> Jam--thanks for the info on the Wella. Is Sally's
> the only place to get it. What sizes do they carry
> in their stores? TIA Win
winamac, I've only seen it at Sally's but I haven't looked anywhere else for it. If you find it somewhere else- let me know. They only had one size when I bought this and it's a rather large 16 ounces. I pile it on pretty thick because it's so cheap and after my last process I left it on for a while and even put a cap and heat with it. It's pretty amazing stuff! I frost my daughter's hair and told her to try it when she was washing after and she said she really liked it. She just used like a conditioner in the tub.
Good luck!:-x
--

Page 1 of 1