Fashion Special Offers
13 Members and 11784 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

John Freida hair color

Started 1303090324.063 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1303407055.297 by PinkWrenches

Has anyone tried this at home hair color yet? It is a foam, but I don't know how well it will cover greys.

Page 1 of 1
glossaholic1303091661.96 PostsRegistered 7/31/2009

Funny you asked because I just used it for the first time today. I did like how it colored and it left my hair really soft even before I applied the conditioner. I can't comment on how well it cover grey because I'm not at that stage yet but it did indicate to leave it on for 10 extra min. if covering grey.

Not sure if this helped you out at all but good luck!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

jacnit1303093182.2432178 PostsRegistered 3/1/2010

I used it last month and really like it..the foam is great because it's so easy to apply and no dripping at all..the coverage is great..i think you add 10 min on for grey's...in fact, i bought another one today at Target!!

tessan1303095399.5731211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

I used it today too, and am having a hair emergency. I can't get my hair color right and don't want to get it professionally done because I have to touch up the roots every two weeks, my hair always picks up red, and so i've been kind of a coppery brown, but I was getting tired of it, and it was looking lighter on top, so I got the medium warm brown, and it came out burgundy!! I washed it right away , did an oil condition, washed it again, and no help, so I put a light natural brown over it, and it's still really burgundy, maybe a tad better. the color is pretty, just not for me. and I think it's more my hair than the brand. I'm hoping it looks better tomorrow{#emotions_dlg.scared}

noposting1303095833.013577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
It's nice but the shade I used, light golden brown, came out darker and very red. I've done many auburn shades in the past and it was even redder then those shades.

knmt1303096459.77688 PostsRegistered 7/13/2010Chicago suburbs

I'm anxious to try it. I'm on the John Frieda email list and recently they offered a free coupon for a box. Am waiting to get it and try this.

panz1303096537.2433360 PostsRegistered 9/18/2006Maui, HI

I was wondering about this brand also, but based on the comments so far I'm not sure whether I should try it or not. Hopefully more people will respond (I'm currently using Feria in Lt. Neutral Brown).

tessan1303097173.2231211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007
On 4/17/2011 noposting said: It's nice but the shade I used, light golden brown, came out darker and very red. I've done many auburn shades in the past and it was even redder then those shades.

hmmnnn, I thought it was me. I actually kinda want to try the light natural brown, but I have to get over this color first.

Blondelle1303108863.7634182 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

I tried the Light Neutral Blonde and it came out ashy, darker than shown, and gave me NO gray coverage at all. The color mixture didn't even darken or develop while it was on my hair. It also was so drying it left my hair like straw. Never again!

Last edited on 4/18/2011

Last edited on 4/18/2011

PurplePink1303109659.291129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010
On 4/17/2011 tessan said:

my hair always picks up red, and so i've been kind of a coppery brown, but I was getting tired of it, and it was looking lighter on top, so I got the medium warm brown, and it came out burgundy!! I washed it right away , did an oil condition, washed it again, and no help, so I put a light natural brown over it, and it's still really burgundy, maybe a tad better. the color is pretty, just not for me. and I think it's more my hair than the brand. I'm hoping it looks better tomorrow{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I have been dying my air at home for quite a few years now so I got to learn quite a few things. If your existing color is red/coppery changing it at home is quite tricky and will probably not be done in one session. If you have any red in your color you need to choose an ash, cool tone as to minimize all possible color interactions. Anything that says warm, golden etc, on a at-home hair dye means potentially orange, brassy, and other color interactions that you do not need.

You also might need to do it in various steps:

1) Go lighter: copper brown -> dark ash blonde-> light natural/ashbrown

2) Go darker: copper brown -> dark/medium brown -> light ash/natural brown.

If you do that let at least 1 week go by in between changing shades (although that is a too little according to what stylists say) and do a lot of deep conditioning afterwards. I would call L'Oreal customer service dedicated for hair color questions only - 1-877-456-5346 and ask them how you could change your shade with their products since they have a lot more types of hair color than John Frieda.

Last edited on 4/18/2011

Last edited on 4/18/2011

tessan1303125740.911211 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007

thank you for that info PP, I couldn't remember which way the ash turned green, if it was reddish tone on ash color or the opposite. I may call to be sure. thanks.

beanie1303128859.41391 PostsRegistered 2/14/2007
On 4/18/2011 Blondelle said:

I tried the Light Neutral Blonde and it came out ashy, darker than shown, and gave me NO gray coverage at all. The color mixture didn't even darken or develop while it was on my hair. It also was so drying it left my hair like straw. Never again!

Last edited on 4/18/2011

I used a different shade but had the same results as Blondelle. Gray coverage was awful and very very drying. Hair felt absolutely terrible. Never never again. beanie

BMWDEEDEE1303146359.027857 PostsRegistered 1/14/2008

Thanks for all your reviews.........I think I will stick with the color I've been using which is Loreal Preference........I mix half Dark Auburn and half Medium Brown. Was just looking for a change.......I like the colors in Feria, but they say it does not give good grey coverage. Anyone? I kind of want to change to a Burgundy cherry type brown. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to use. I have lots of grey, so I do need something with major grey coverage. TIA.

littlepixie1303146969.247443 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011New York, NY
On 4/18/2011 PurplePink said:
On 4/17/2011 tessan said:

my hair always picks up red, and so i've been kind of a coppery brown, but I was getting tired of it, and it was looking lighter on top, so I got the medium warm brown, and it came out burgundy!! I washed it right away , did an oil condition, washed it again, and no help, so I put a light natural brown over it, and it's still really burgundy, maybe a tad better. the color is pretty, just not for me. and I think it's more my hair than the brand. I'm hoping it looks better tomorrow{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I have been dying my air at home for quite a few years now so I got to learn quite a few things. If your existing color is red/coppery changing it at home is quite tricky and will probably not be done in one session. If you have any red in your color you need to choose an ash, cool tone as to minimize all possible color interactions. Anything that says warm, golden etc, on a at-home hair dye means potentially orange, brassy, and other color interactions that you do not need.

You also might need to do it in various steps:

1) Go lighter: copper brown -> dark ash blonde-> light natural/ashbrown

2) Go darker: copper brown -> dark/medium brown -> light ash/natural brown.

If you do that let at least 1 week go by in between changing shades (although that is a too little according to what stylists say) and do a lot of deep conditioning afterwards. I would call L'Oreal customer service dedicated for hair color questions only - 1-877-456-5346 and ask them how you could change your shade with their products since they have a lot more types of hair color than John Frieda.

Last edited on 4/18/2011

yes this is true and I learend it the hard way. Also my aunt is a hairdresser (unfortunately for me she doesnt live here). If you dont want any red/brassy tones, then you need to choose a color that has a cool tone. The box will indiciate this by having the number start with B or V before the Numebr (N means netural and may still cause red tones). Also, another cool trick to help prevent brassiness is to mix it with a blue beach, if needed. There are a bunch of brands that have them too.

http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Quick-Blue-Powder-Bleach/dp/B000A409J8

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant .

TrishyR1303246272.907151 PostsRegistered 4/2/2010

I always have difficulty dying my hair alone so i have resorted in going to the salon twice a year and just have them doing it.... I have always loved john frieda shampoos and conditioners though so i can't imagine they'd be bad!

Chihuahual­uv1303308416.717557 PostsRegistered 2/23/2011

I just used this for the first time on Friday night. I love it and will continue to use it. There's something about the foam that seems to make application so much easier. I used the lightest shade of blonde. It covered my gray and I really like the shade.

abbycat1303309855.134618 PostsRegistered 5/19/2007Maryland

I've never tried the hair color, but I've been using the Sheer Blonde Shampoo and Conditioner, glossing detangler and hairspray for years. I love them.

abby

<*)))><</p>

<*)))><

PinkWrench­es1303331200.7438 PostsRegistered 4/20/2011So. Cal

I'm a little late replying to this thread but I just had to give my 2 cents.

I tried the foam color about 3 weeks ago-dark golden blonde shade. I was trying to lighten my hair a little from the Loreal Excellence beige brown I was using that was too dark for my complexion. Although the dark golden blonde does come out darker than on the box (and this might be due to the previous color I had used) I absolutely LOVED the color. It does come out MUCH redder than on the box. But I get so many compliments on it and love the look so I'm sticking with it. Just bought my 2nd box yesterday. Easy application, not much fading BUT it doesn't cover gray all that well. I went to the John Freida website and they said for hard to cover greys you need to massage the foam constantly while it's processing. I'm going to try that this time, even though it sounds like a hassle. I'll do it because I love the color and the feel of my hair after it's done.

Ty771303351580.44181 PostsRegistered 4/26/2007Pacifica, CA
On 4/18/2011 BMWDEEDEE said:

Thanks for all your reviews.........I think I will stick with the color I've been using which is Loreal Preference........I mix half Dark Auburn and half Medium Brown. Was just looking for a change.......I like the colors in Feria, but they say it does not give good grey coverage. Anyone? I kind of want to change to a Burgundy cherry type brown. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to use. I have lots of grey, so I do need something with major grey coverage. TIA.

This is exactly my formula! It comes out like redwood tree bark. But like you I am about to try Freida foam. I ordered from Ulta so I could get free foundation samples. (I'm changing that, too..)

BTW, I tried Feria using a similar mix and my gray roots (I'm about 30% gray) were so red, I had to redo them using a neutral brown..

Kindness first..

noposting1303353769.9133577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005

I colored my hair with this again today, but this time I used dark golden blonde, and it came out similar to the way my hair always turns out when using a light golden brown. If you want to use this foam color I suggest you purchase one shade lighter then you normally would.

PinkWrench­es1303407055.2978 PostsRegistered 4/20/2011So. Cal
On 4/20/2011 noposting said:

I colored my hair with this again today, but this time I used dark golden blonde, and it came out similar to the way my hair always turns out when using a light golden brown. If you want to use this foam color I suggest you purchase one shade lighter then you normally would.

I colored my hair last night for the second time with the dark golden blonde and I totally agree. If you are looking for a "blonde" color this isn't it. I think they have a light golden blonde shade. That would probably turn out a dark golden blonde. LOL

That said, I still love the color. It's really red but it's a nice red (for my complexion) so I'll keep using it. Oh and I massaged it for like 20 minutes straight while it was processing like the Freida website said to and it covered ALL my grays. Another thing I did differently is I threw caution to the wind and applied it a little past my hairline onto my forehead, temples, back of neck to see if that would help cover those noticeable grays and it did! And it washed off my skin completely in the shower.

Page 1 of 1