Better Than Black Friday
118 Members and 17632 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Whats the best kind of artificial nails to get? Acrylic, Gel, solar..?? So confused!!!

Started 1302089370.42 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1302275986.357 by CouponQueen

Once a year I like to get fake nails, but all the choices are so confusing.

Can someone help sort this out for me? I'd like them strong and I plan on keeping them a shorter length than most women with fake nails seem to prefer.

I've only had acrylic nails....is there something new and improved out there??

Page 1 of 1
Coralogre1302106824.821408 PostsRegistered 7/19/2010

never heard of solar, gel seems to be the way to go... however, i don't want any of it, it destroys your nails.. i do admit kept short they really do look nice. i also think long nails are not in anymore. good luck try the gel.

DILLY1302107075.3031 PostsRegistered 4/6/2011

I NEVER HAD GEL NAILS BECAUSE THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. THEY DO LOOK REALLY GREAT THOUGH. ALWAYS LOOK JUST POLISHED. I STILL LIKE THE ACRYLIC NAILS. I KEEP THEM SHORT.

luvmypupz1302107210.6034991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore

I have been getting fiberglass for the last 12 years or so. They are not quite as durable as the acrylic but alittle gentler to your nail. Like Jada said they all ruin your nails. I keep mine short and neat. Long nails are pretty much out.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

wagnerdanc­er1302107484.2174743 PostsRegistered 4/28/2008

Get the gel. They are gentler on your nails plus they look great. I like to get "pink & white" in summer months. I keep mine short too and I love the way they look.

Last edited on 4/6/2011

Last edited on 4/6/2011

Dance Like No One's Watching

Shelbelle1302107581.42335104 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

None!!!

Peetie571302112962.86479 PostsRegistered 4/21/2010

I had my nails done for almost 22 years, and I LOVE the Gels. They are really more natural looking then the Acrylics. I finally decided no more last July. I did really good until 2 months ago and I Gave in!!{#emotions_dlg.blush} But, after 6 weeks I really regreted it. My reason is the Drills they use, (really burns my nail beds ) and the cost. The time it takes also is another factor for me. So, I took them back off and this time it is for good!! My nail tech did mention the Solar nails. This is a lenghty process and there is no drills used. You have to have this substance removed about every 6 weeks and start over. There are several sites you can go under to check it out. I guess my bottom line is, do what you feel is best for you. I do agree with Jada, the drilling is what destroys the nail bed. It took 3 months for my nail bed to grow back out, and I was lucky from what I have been told. It can take as long as a year for some. I hope this helps some and Good Luck!

jewelfool1302113081.481399 PostsRegistered 12/26/2009

I've been hearing about "shellac" polish lately. A friend of mine got it done on her nails yesterday. It's just polish on your nails but dried under a light much like the acrylics and stays on for about 3 weeks. However, it does have to be removed by a professional. They claim there is no damage to nails. I don't know if OPI puts this out or not.

Shelbelle1302114392.3535104 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 4/6/2011 jewelfool said:

I've been hearing about "shellac" polish lately. A friend of mine got it done on her nails yesterday. It's just polish on your nails but dried under a light much like the acrylics and stays on for about 3 weeks. However, it does have to be removed by a professional. They claim there is no damage to nails. I don't know if OPI puts this out or not.

Not OPI, the one like this by OPI is called Axxium.

abbeythe8th1302186914.6074268 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

I've always had thin nails and play the piano. I've worn a thin coat of gel on my nails for many years. It keeps my nails from tearing and it also keeps my polish from chipping.

As for Shellac, my daughter tried it a few times and ended up with terribly dry nails.

ssfbeagle1302202632.593594 PostsRegistered 11/2/2008

I have had acrylics since 1984 and have never had a problem with them. Back in the 80's I did wear them long, as was the trend back then. Now they are short, barely past my fingertip. I go regularly (every 2 weeks) for a fill. I know many people say they are too much upkeep and expense. I make time for them.

ChillyTulip1302203034.321728 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007
On 4/6/2011 jewelfool said:

I get these and love them. No damage to my nails. I take the polish off at home by soaking my nails in acetone polish remover for 12 minutes. The polish then flakes off under water.

che1302203311.64711294 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009seattle, Wa.

I have done acrylics the past 16 years...never had a problem...I consider the time I have to get the fill.... ME TIME.....SmileI also get a pedi when I get my fill...very relaxing..{#emotions_dlg.wub} I did ask my tech about the gel...she said they are not as durable..so have never tried..HTH{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened!

In Loving Memory of my Dear Sweet Bubba...Nov. 21, 2011

libby3301302206127.35648 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008Some Beach / Florida

I use to get the shellac but now I get what is called a french wrap. This is a wrap they put just on the tip of the nail with a base and top coat that dries quick. Love it. Does not damage the nail and last 2 to 3 weeks. The wraps come in a very white or a pearl white and yes you can ploish over them if you want. Removes very easy

txrosegirl1302207545.9732305 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007frisco, texas

if you are going to get one, get the gels...the TRUE gels, not the overlay some places put over acrylics

if you get true gels, there should not be any drilling or scuffing of the nail bed. they just "paint" your nail basically with the gel and then it cures under UV light...they may have to shape and smooth it, but my lady always did that by hand with a file, no drills involved

i also had shellac...loved the way it looked but it it tore up my nails worse than gels did after i had them removed

♥ lyn ♥
i love my furkids!

smoochy1302211756.8132516 PostsRegistered 10/8/2006pure Michigan!

I seem to do the gels or acrylics once a year too. Generally around this time/ my Sweet Adeline quartet competes in our Regional competition in the spring. perfect nails really look good on stage (we do bright red), with our blingy costumes. This year I had gels put on. yeah the electric filing messes up the nailbed and yeah it takes me about six months to get normal nails back, after removal. however i love this clean, very short french manicure look. people are complimenting me. Also, with gel, you can easily remove nail color with polish remover and still have the shiny gel coating. With acrylics it's so hard to remove nail polish and then you have a rough dull surface. i have little tiny natural nails and small slender hands. big knuckles now. the uniformity of "fakes" brings a nice balance to my hands.

lulu21302212042.60721652 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
On 4/7/2011 txrosegirl said:

if you are going to get one, get the gels...the TRUE gels, not the overlay some places put over acrylics

if you get true gels, there should not be any drilling or scuffing of the nail bed. they just "paint" your nail basically with the gel and then it cures under UV light...they may have to shape and smooth it, but my lady always did that by hand with a file, no drills involved

i also had shellac...loved the way it looked but it it tore up my nails worse than gels did after i had them removed

After only one Shellac manicure, my nails had white spots. It's been about six months and finally the spots are grown out. I get a week to 10 days out of my manicure so I'll stick with a regular manicure every 2 weeks. Frequently I change polish between manicures just because I like to try different colors.

LaceyDakota1302213771.3824 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007

I have been getting the Axxium by OPI for about a year or so now. I love it. My manicure looks great for 3 weeks. The only down side is if you get the darker shades, you will see how much your nails grow in three weeks. I love that when I walk out of the salon my nails are dry, no worrying about messing up a manicure just driving home. (I've messed up a few manicures just putting my seatbelt on.) I've thought about not getting them anymore, but this is my me time. I deserve a little me time every 3 weeks.

Lisa

39andholdi­ng1302214189.993354 PostsRegistered 10/5/2010

i had acrylics years ago and that was the last time my nails looked nice. I took them off because i got tired of the upkeep and i knew how bad they were for my nails.

I just got shellac for the first time because i am going on a trip. I got a french manicure and they look gorgeous. Like my own nails only strong and beautiful. We will see how long it lasts. I never polish my nails myself because it is too much time and chips in an hour!

laurachipp­ewa1302224472.71370 PostsRegistered 7/2/2006

Oh thanks everybody!!! I did get the acrylic nails today. the lady said these were the strongest.

They just look, eh,.....

I do keep them short, but I dont think I like the pink powder stuff with the white tip. Then theres some glossy stuff she baked on.

I dont know, it looks ok I guess, not what I had pictured. Maybe when I go for a fill I can paint over them, I dont know....

I'm confused, is the shellac a nail polish for your natural nails or is it an artificial nail?

mother bear1302228485.9133843 PostsRegistered 12/10/2010Puget Sound

Okay, I sure none of us has these nails but it's something to think about. A real DON'T.

Clover291302228685.80710831 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

I'd hate to be Clarice {#emotions_dlg.scared} Maybe she *is* Clarice?

txrosegirl1302269552.452305 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007frisco, texas
On 4/7/2011 laurachippewa said:

Oh thanks everybody!!! I did get the acrylic nails today. the lady said these were the strongest.

They just look, eh,.....

I do keep them short, but I dont think I like the pink powder stuff with the white tip. Then theres some glossy stuff she baked on.

I dont know, it looks ok I guess, not what I had pictured. Maybe when I go for a fill I can paint over them, I dont know....

I'm confused, is the shellac a nail polish for your natural nails or is it an artificial nail?

sounds like she gave you a gel overly to help keep them shiny. did she use an UV light?

the shellac is literally a nail polish that goes on your natural nail. they just cure it with an UV light. i suppose you could get tips but i am not sure how that would work since i never got tips.

♥ lyn ♥
i love my furkids!

Hayfield1302273566.2575326 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

I get gel nails and I love them, I get them done every two weeks. I keep my nails short and a square/round look. get loads of compliments on them, everyone thinks that they are my real nails. I don't worry about them "ruining" my nails as other people state as my nails aren't nice anyway.

CouponQueen1302275986.3574632 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010
On 4/6/2011 wagnerdancer said:

Get the gel. They are gentler on your nails plus they look great. I like to get "pink & white" in summer months. I keep mine short too and I love the way they look.

Last edited on 4/6/2011

I love the pink and white gels too but in the summer they do yellow a bit if your outside. They say "guarantee" not to but mine do..I have a pool so am in the sun a bit more. I usually go back to Acrylic for the summer and then back to the gel pink and white in the winter/spring.

Gel are not as good in water as acrylics so I do use rubber gloves if I am in water a lot in the kitchen.

You can't go wrong with any of them. They are all beautiful.

Page 1 of 1