Back to School
90 Members and 10054 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What is Going on With Ojon?

Started 1301945102.04 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1302049540.547 by NovScorpio

I got a letter stating that Ojon is reformulating many of their products and it would affect my Auto Delivery.

I looked online and cannot find the Restorative Hair Treatment in the jar... the whole reason for Ojon! I can't find any of the Ojon products I've been using! I finally found a product that works on my hair and now the whole line is revamped? Why do that do this to us? I am getting so tired of using products in the beauty lines and then they remove them from the line, and then I have to change my whole beauty routine.

It also happens with Bare Escentuals. I use products that work beautifully and love and then they are no longer available. It's really a shame. Part of the reason many of us go to a line of cosmetics or hair care is because they work and we want to continue to use them.

It's a shame. Especially when they get rid of the mainstays of their line that many of us have used religiously for years.

Page 1 of 2
Nascardiva1301945248.4636528 PostsRegistered 6/27/2005Maryland

Both companies you mentioned were bought out by other companies (Estee Lauder now owns Ojon and Shiseido now owns BE). They might be formulating them to their standards, not the former owners.

I'm a true redhead - with the color comes the temper.
Beauty gets the attention but personality gets the heart.

LipstickDi­va1301946103.7536894 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I'm just throwing this out there and have absolutely no proof of this but do you think maybe the issue with the Ojon line has to do with the divorce between Dennis and his wife? Didn't she or her mother supposedly "find" this ingrediant?

I really have no idea. I was in Sephora Saturday night and Ojon has been reduced to 2 measly shelves on the back wall and even those 2 shelves were sparse.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

cerinthe1301946215.2072591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

This is how Estee Lauder works as evidenced by the DOZENS of companies they have taken over and purchased in the past.

1. Estee Lauder buys company X.

2. Estee Lauder reformulates any product from company X that they can reformulate (aka "cheapify it") and make it more cheaply and sell it for more money.

3. Estee Lauder puts the cheaper products of company X into smaller bottles and/or cheaper packaging.

4. Estee Lauder may or may not hack original production crew (Bobbi Brown is still standing, I'm shocked that Dennis is still here...but they hacked some VIPs from MAC against their will who were very vocal about what was going on.)

5. Estee Lauder makes sure company X's products are sold in association with EL products already in existence.

6. Estee Lauder stock goes up.

Last edited on 4/4/2011

lyn in MI1301946455.57324349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan
On 4/4/2011 Queen of Posts said:

I'm just throwing this out there and have absolutely no proof of this but do you think maybe the issue with the Ojon line has to do with the divorce between Dennis and his wife? Didn't she or her mother supposedly "find" this ingrediant?

I really have no idea. I was in Sephora Saturday night and Ojon has been reduced to 2 measly shelves on the back wall and even those 2 shelves were sparse.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2009/2009canlii934/2009canlii934.html

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
♥ Birman =^..^= Servant ♥

kar321301946631.5171981 PostsRegistered 3/28/2009

i don't use ojon any more but i did for quit awhile.i used the tawaka shampoo and con and their yellow volume spray with the little ojon beads u could see in it.i also liked the pnk revitalize mist.i've been using Wen for 2 years now but the reason i used ojon to begin with is b/c i thought they were a natural line with few if any chemicals.i just looked up their things on qvc and everything looks completely different to me.i remember them saying the company was bought out and they couldn't get tawaka any more but i wonder if the company is still trying to be more natural or chemical free? i love Wen now and happy i don't have to use a bunch of products anymore.

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Last edited on 4/4/2011

lyn in MI1301946885.36724349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

You can order the Restirative treatment on the Ojon web site...

http://www.ojon.com/products/4726/Shop-by-Product/Shop-by-Product-Type/Treatment/index.tmpl

Possibly you can check the ingredients to see if they've changed the formulation.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

Cresm8r19081301948353.5773511 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006Sitting Pretty, Perched and Posed

Thank you all for the explanation s to what is going on. I was puzzled by the lack of products - as I have Ojon in my rotation.

After going to thw linki LyninMI provided - what I find even more perplexing is how the "the story" of the product has changed.

It once was the little jar (of solid brown stuff) that was sent to the wife by her people and sat in the bathroom> dot dot dot which led Dennis on a hunt and "helping" the indigenous people, etc.

to now...

a bottle of "golden elixir" which sat in the bathroom and he had someone getting out of a pool and he had to "fix" their dry dehydrated hair..dot dot dot which led him on a hunt and "helping" the indigenous people, etc.

Also...something must have changed with the "damage paste" as I remember it costing up to $100 for the tub (depending on where/when you purchased) now..one can purchase it for as low as $19.50???

This is a MESSAGE Board...NOT a MESSY Board.

So what if you have a hunch-back, honey. We all see it, know it's there...so just throw a little glitter on it and go on out dancing! (old bayou wisdom)

Topaz Gem1301948496.87315488 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

I started a thread a week or two ago wondering what the heck happened with the Ojon SWA line as it disappeared from QVC's inventory as well as from other beauty supply places. I went nuts looking for it, and finally I went back to Amazon where it was sold out but it is now available again from an outside vendor.

I bet that is why SWA is suddenly so hard to get. They must be reformulating just about everything in the Ojon line. Dennis will be back April 19 and 20, so I hope he addresses what's going on. They better not get rid of SWA. {#emotions_dlg.angry} I like it even better than the regular Ojon Thickening Formula.

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. ~ Henry James

lyn in MI1301948897.12724349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

I noticed that SWA is not on the revamped ojon.com.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

cerinthe1301949183.072591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

I believe Dennis and his (ex)wife would have sold to Estee Lauder whether they divorced or not.

You have to remember, the DREAM of any startup or smaller company is to sellout and make millions off the deal. Having Estee Lauder buy up a small company- that's a dream to the small company. Its very hard work to take "Ojon" and make it what it was before Estee Lauder bought it. Very hard work, and they did a very good job, with great formulations and care given and it was built on the back of QVC viewers. Not consumers in general. I would have sold out in a heartbeat for the right price, divorce or not.

Wiskota1301949644.753783 PostsRegistered 1/24/2008Wisconsin

What happens to the indigenous people now that EL owns the company? Do you think they will still make their money? or will EL cut them out altogether? That was always one of the selling points for me anyway.

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I want to thank the men who died who give that right to me." Lee Greenwood

cerinthe1301949916.8872591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005
On 4/4/2011 Topaz Gem said:
They better not get rid of SWA. {#emotions_dlg.angry} I like it even better than the regular Ojon Thickening Formula.

Well, get ready. The ONLY thing anyone can hope for is that the original Ojon oil stay undiluted. I guarantee everything else will be reformulated. I think there is a 50/50 shot that the original ojon oil will stay as it currently is for at least a couple years. Time will tell.

Why? Because when Dennis created these, he went ALLLLL out. If you look at the original product ingredient decks, they are packed full of expensive ingredients with 'no' fillers. Lots of Ojon oil, lots of other natural based ingredients, etc. Not cheap stuff. He didn't even try and deodorize it, he wanted to stay that authentic and that potent.

Swa and Tawaka had the best ingredient decks I have seen. Ever. In a hair product that was formulated as a traditional shampoo and conditioner. It topped his original formulations. They are also very unique. All these 'unique' qualities like a watery shampoo consistency and unique 'smell' make it hard or at least challenging to mass market to the public. I am not remotely shocked that they are discontinued, they had to be some of the most expensive to formulate AND source ingredients for (which were all top notch.) These two lines are definitely considered expendable until Estee Lauder figures out what is selling, what's not, and may or may not revisit a product that addresses similar "needs" and then will "cheapify it" to meet their profit requirements.

But you won't seen these formualtions again, imo, they simply don't have the profit making potential that the newly reformulated ('cheapified' ) lines do.

goldenretr­iever1301950103.1275625 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...

Estee Lauder always ruins the products they acquire. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Lakeside, with a KONG toy in my mouth.

Icegoddess1301951276.3271618 PostsRegistered 3/19/2010

Sad to say, I imagine the product line will no longer be as good as it once was. I still have some of the Tawakana conditioner that I dole out very sparingly. If Dennis is still the front man when it comes back, I doubt he will mention anything about the sale of the company. He'll just continue as if nothing happened and may say that things were reformulated to make it "even better than before".

lyn in MI1301951966.80324349 PostsRegistered 4/29/2007SW Michigan

I spent more time on ojon.com and there are currently four "rituals". All labeled "new".

http://www.ojon.com/customer_service/whats_new.tmpl

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~

SecondHand­News1301953693.771380 PostsRegistered 11/28/2005

They reformulated the leave-in spray conditioner and some peeps on Sephora's site don't seem happy.

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P111019&categoryId=B70#moreInfo

free-spirit1301954440.2332080 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007New Jersey

I noticed on the Ojon website a few weeks ago that all the products were switching over.

I too loved the Tawaka shampoo and conditioner as well as the facial cream.

There are a few Ojon products I like ... so I bought 1 or 2 off ebay recently. I am not going crazy with the stash as I always manage to find products I like these days.

fab501301954721.08176 PostsRegistered 2/6/2006

I really love Ojon; it saved my hair after I had to be on strong medication for a year. I am dedicated to it, so I hope the product does not change...but this explains why I saw Ojon on the shelves at my local Estee Lauder outlet. We'll see.

Funloving1301956818.9437971 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Since I rotate shampoo like crazy and was on autoship for a while I still have a full bottle of the original Tawaka shampoo along with a travel size -I hope it's aged like fine wine- ha. Also partial bottles of SWA, plus 2 full cans of SWA hairspray - More recently I tried Shine & Protect shampoo. I found it awful.. left a thick greasy film on my hair- but then it never got glowing reviews so who knows if it's been reformulated.

I was sure Dennis made a formal announcement on the Q that Tawaka would no longer be available, period.

Lyn- Interesting link. Thanks. This has very little to do with the OP.. just random blather. Maybe I'll crack open the Tawaka soon.

-By grace alone through faith alone-

cerinthe1301957924.872591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

Chaz- you must NEVER sell to Estee Lauder. I forbid it.

{#emotions_dlg.blink}

karmakat1301960353.031215 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I still have the big bottles of Tawaka in the shower. When it was discontinued, I got one last set, and started switching to WEN. I have no interest in trying any "reformulated" Ojon. I figure my supply will be all gone by the end of the year :-(

Why is it that only the BEST stuff disappears? My previous favorite was Suzanne Somers - there was a green apple shampoo and conditioner that was fantastic.

cerinthe1301961214.992591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

I will say this: Whoever they paid to redo the website, did an AMAZING job.

Gooooorgeous photos, layout, and the wording is young, spirited and enticing. The models they chose are exquisite.

Beyond excellent job on the new website, wording, layouts and photography. Really sells the line. I dunno what it cost, but its gooooooorgeous. (And I am extremely picky. This is the best photography, design and wording I've seen in a LONG time.)

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Last edited on 4/4/2011

noposting1301961349.8873577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005

Bare escentuals original foundation was the best blemish concealer I've found, until the company was sold. They seemed to have either reformulated or changed the processing, and it now doesn't have any coverage and feels chalky.

Sofa King1301961874.053471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia
On 4/4/2011 cerinthe said:

I will say this: Whoever they paid to redo the website, did an AMAZING job.

Gooooorgeous photos, layout, and the wording is young, spirited and enticing. The models they chose are exquisite.

Beyond excellent job on the new website, wording, layouts and photography. Really sells the line. I dunno what it cost, but its gooooooorgeous. (And I am extremely picky. This is the best photography, design and wording I've seen in a LONG time.)

Last edited on 4/4/2011

ITA, but all that beauty in the site doesn't bring back my Tawaka! I'd take an ugly site any day of the week if they carried the Tawaka. I started squirreling it away like crazy when Dennis announced that it would be DC'd. I have about 3 of the ubermondo-kegs of the S and C and a bunch of the smaller tubes that are still pretty huge. I also have about three jars of the Cream and maybe 12 of the tubes, plus an uber-tube.....I know! I think this should last me about 5 years and hopefully I'll be able to find something comparable or better. This has been the only line that I've truly loved and now all the products are disappearing and as you said in your earlier post, probably cheapened by EL.

Since I've fallen so hard for oils, just call me grease monkey.

Stop getting in your own way. Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone.

Can we tawk? You look mahvelous! Like buttah!

KittyGlitt­er1301968711.1572124 PostsRegistered 5/7/2008

I saw Ojon at the CCO about 3 weeks ago. They had the restorative treatment in a tube.They also had the shine treatment and some s & c. The prices on the s & c were not so great. The others were a good deal. Didn't see any Smashbox there yet. I hope some shows up soon.

Page 1 of 2