Just-Reduced Clearance
35 Members and 15666 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Does Anyone Lighten their Base Haircolor and THEN Highlight?

Started 1301607866.133 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1301795916.313 by orange

I am considering a color change - the highlights don't seem to be bright enough for me. I am debating on whether to do two blonde highlight shades or lighten my base and then highlight. I will be having my stylist do this - not at home. If you do this what kind of upkeep does it require? I don't fancy spending my life going to the hairdresser! THANKS LADIES!

Page 1 of 1
Sister Bar­bara1301608535.16742 PostsRegistered 5/11/2009

Yes, I do this and I do it myself. My favorite kit is L'Oreal Couleur Experte, which comes with a highlighting kit in addition to the color (about $15). I'm not really sure what my normal color would be since I've been coloring for years, but I use a light blond shade and the highlights make it stand out all the more (not brassy). So simple to use and very economical. There's no special upkeep. I simply color my roots with a root product when they start to grow in.

PurplePink1301608616.0431129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

Depending on the look you want it can be quite an upkeep. If you want all over highlights and a new lighter color the following can happen - your roots will show so you will need to touch them up with your base color and also re-touch the highlights. You can minimize that if you only touch up with the base color and let your highlight "grow" -they will look as they blend better with your hair since they will not be starting right from the root area. I like this look better (I do it myself with Color Experte), but I don't know if you will.

If you have a clear style in mind it is good to always ask your stylist for her/his opinion in terms on what upkeep is necessary. If she/he is honest they will give you an objective estimation of what you will need to do and how often, if not they can encourage you to do it knowing they will get more business from you in order to keep that style.

Last edited on 3/31/2011

Last edited on 3/31/2011

shoptillId­rop1301608910.3979399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

Yes, I have my base lightened to a more richer, lighter version of what I have and then highlights blended through out. My stylist does this for me and has for years.

ETA: I agree with PurplePink -- it is an upkeep. Every other visit I'll have just the roots done which helps to keep the cost down a bit. But, with that said, my hair and my skin care are just part of the budgetWink

Last edited on 3/31/2011

Last edited on 3/31/2011

I tried being patient but it took too long.

BESwede1301609158.6536218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

A friend of mine recently had her whole head colored and then highlights put over the top and she is already saying she is sick of the "upkeep". The stylist didnt really recommend it since it is "double processing" and hard on the hair but she thought it would give her the look she desired. She's said she will not do it again, but instead will do mulit-colored high and low lights only with just touching up roots and gradually will work towards not coloring at all except for only high/low lights.

I'd definitely talk to your stylist about what your want your hair to look like and how much upkeep and cost is involved. To me, I think I'd go with just hightlights to keep down the costs and upkeep.

47, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

orange1301665062.73036 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Thanks Ladies - I think I'll probably talk to my stylist and have two shades of blonde highlights in a 'wider' stripe than what I've been getting. How come there are some women out there who get really chunky, wide highlights and I never can? I need more coverage for my grays. Getting older is tough! LOL!

depglass1301665320.31724074 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Is double processing done at the same time? I'm trying to figure out what I've got here. She puts in one shade, then highlight color, but they are all done with foil at the same time.

jewelfool1301665671.5571390 PostsRegistered 12/26/2009

This process gives me the prettiest color. I've been going to a stylist that didn't want to do it that way. She foiled and then "painted" my roots. I didn't like it at all and am changing stylists next week.

LipstickDi­va1301665993.32338588 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

I was doing that for a very long time and yes it was quite an upkeep.

Now I do my hair myself and what I started doing was just putting the highlights around my face to frame it as that's where I wanted the lightest color anyhow. This is much, much easier and much less upkeep.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

Shogirl1301666056.871988 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

I have mine done with highlights about every 3rd/4th time I get a cut/color. When she colors my hair, she just does the roots and then she foils it for the highlights, all at the same time. So, in between foils, the blonde highlights just continue to blend in and grow out until I have it done again.

MartieHugs1301666497.613116 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have friends who color their hair that way. Looks okay. Pretty natural, actually.

Since my hair is white, I have my stylist do old-fashioned pull-it-through-a-cap frosting in a pale sand blonde to highlight. Foils don't work for me as my hair is baby-fine and very thin. Been doing it that way for a number of years. Grows out slowly. Only have to redo a couple/three times a year.

LisaB1301667171.6532840 PostsRegistered 1/8/2007

Yes, I do this presently and have been doing it for at least 7 years now and wouldn't do it any other way!

My hairdresser is AWESOME. I have my base color brought up a couple of shades and then I have a blonde highlight done. Between each highlight i just have my base color touch up and that makes it look like i had my highlights done again. When i have both done i do it in two appointments because the highlight takes better if there is a break in between that and the color. It is more costly but SO WORTH IT! I don't look like a tiger.

Make sure you go to someone that knows what they are doing is my advice.

hugsandkis­ses1301667397.8971247 PostsRegistered 5/1/2007

Yes I do, and like the others said its the most up keep I think of all types of hair colors treatments. And it does a number on your hair irregardless of the condition of it to begin with. I found it very drying.

I have dark brown/black hair...I lighten the base to a warm med. brown then my stylist goes in and adds med. caramel hi-lights and then just a few med. /drk. blonde around the face. ( All foil ) My son is a blonde and most people think he got his hair color from Mommy (hahaha) Anyway, It looks so fabulous and natural when I get out of the salon ! But It is work to up keep let me tell you ! once that root line comes in - its technicolor. (darn greys they started all this ! {#emotions_dlg.mad}) And I cant wait to go to her to fix up !

"Sometimes good things fall apart so that Better Things can fall together"

ChynaGirl1301667867.123895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

For those of you who highlight your hair at home, would you share what product and color you're using? Thanks!

mermayd721301668350.56308 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010

I did it once. I love the way it looks, however I found out I was pregnant about 2 weeks later so it has been growing out for about 7 months--UGH! It looks terrible right now. I am going to get it redone right after I have this baby!

PurplePink1301670587.0871129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010
On 4/1/2011 ChynaGirl said:

For those of you who highlight your hair at home, would you share what product and color you're using? Thanks!

I initially used Color Experte by L'Oreal - it comes with two hair colors - for your base and for your highlights. They are already put together so that makes it easy, and they give you a wand or a "tweezer-like wand" that you can use to highlight, that makes the application be relativelly convenient.

After watching billion YouTube videos on how to do foils, I now do my own foils and no longer use the wand- this allows me to section off thinner highlights and have them blend in better. I buy the cheapest thinnest aluminum foil from cvs (the foil has to be thin otherwise it will accelerate the bleach more than you need to - salons have special thin foil), I use a thin tail comb, select my highlights (hard to explain how I do that in words), apply the foil and use a wide brush (old make-up brush) to apply dye on the selected highlights. Bc I have been doing this for 3 years now I no longer get the color experte dye, but regular dye - dark blonde and medium blonde; my base is light brown. I only do thin face framing highlights (obviously you cannot do them in the back). You need to be careful if you do foils not to put too much dye as when you fold them into packets the dye will "bleed" and will touch other pieces of hair. I always have a cotton pad to wipe any excess dye immediately and it works fine.

If you would want to start doing your own, I suggest to watch a few YouTube videos, buy a really cheap wig and experiment on that in terms of applying dye, sectioning highlights etc, and when you feel ready start with Color Experte from L'Oreal and you can always go from there. Have a backup box of dye (a color matching your base) in case your highlights end up looking terribly bad.

Golden rule with at home dye - never go beyond 3 shades lighter or darker than your existing color. Never bleach red or dark black and be very careful when choosing anything labelled as "golden" or "warm" as that can turn orange/brassy. There is a learning curve but if you want to experiment and cannot afford the salon costs, it can be fun to do your hair - especially when you get compliments from people.

Last edited on 4/1/2011

Last edited on 4/1/2011

ChynaGirl1301681692.3973895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005
On 4/1/2011 PurplePink said:
On 4/1/2011 ChynaGirl said:

I initially used Color Experte by L'Oreal - it comes with two hair colors - for your base and for your highlights. They are already put together so that makes it easy, and they give you a wand or a "tweezer-like wand" that you can use to highlight, that makes the application be relativelly convenient.

After watching billion YouTube videos on how to do foils, I now do my own foils and no longer use the wand- this allows me to section off thinner highlights and have them blend in better. I buy the cheapest thinnest aluminum foil from cvs (the foil has to be thin otherwise it will accelerate the bleach more than you need to - salons have special thin foil), I use a thin tail comb, select my highlights (hard to explain how I do that in words), apply the foil and use a wide brush (old make-up brush) to apply dye on the selected highlights. Bc I have been doing this for 3 years now I no longer get the color experte dye, but regular dye - dark blonde and medium blonde; my base is light brown. I only do thin face framing highlights (obviously you cannot do them in the back). You need to be careful if you do foils not to put too much dye as when you fold them into packets the dye will "bleed" and will touch other pieces of hair. I always have a cotton pad to wipe any excess dye immediately and it works fine.

If you would want to start doing your own, I suggest to watch a few YouTube videos, buy a really cheap wig and experiment on that in terms of applying dye, sectioning highlights etc, and when you feel ready start with Color Experte from L'Oreal and you can always go from there. Have a backup box of dye (a color matching your base) in case your highlights end up looking terribly bad.

Golden rule with at home dye - never go beyond 3 shades lighter or darker than your existing color. Never bleach red or dark black and be very careful when choosing anything labelled as "golden" or "warm" as that can turn orange/brassy. There is a learning curve but if you want to experiment and cannot afford the salon costs, it can be fun to do your hair - especially when you get compliments from people.

Last edited on 4/1/2011

Hi PurplePink, and thank you so much for some really great information! Very nice of you to give so much detail. Smile

cassiem1301683282.3336831 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 4/1/2011 orange said:

Thanks Ladies - I think I'll probably talk to my stylist and have two shades of blonde highlights in a 'wider' stripe than what I've been getting. How come there are some women out there who get really chunky, wide highlights and I never can? I need more coverage for my grays. Getting older is tough! LOL!

I used to get highlights and once did a base color with highlights over. Not only was it very expensive, I wasn't crazy about the base color and hated how the roots grew out, plus it really damaged my hair. I went back to regular highlights.

When I started getting more grays, I went to all over single process color. My hair has darkened over the years and is now a dark blonde. I color with a medium blonde and my grays actually come out a lighter color, so they look like highlights. I use Clairol Perfect 10 Medium Blond, it leaves my hair really shiny, doesn't get brassy, and is exactly the color my hair used to be when I was younger. My hair looks so natural that even high end professional hair dressers have been fooled! And many women have stopped me to ask where I have my hair "done" because they love the color. Best of all, it's cheap!

Last edited on 4/1/2011

Last edited on 4/1/2011

LABoheme1301685522.8455 PostsRegistered 12/5/2010

I had a stylist that did that to my hair. My hair is fairly light to begin with but I still had much more obvious regrowth than with straight highlights. I really hated the obvious regrowth and it really did some damage to my hair. I just do highlights now (different hairdresser) and it is much healthier and looks more natural. I don't know what color your base is, but maybe your stylist could jazz up the color of the highlights instead of messing with the base.

pipi1301685720.5178 PostsRegistered 1/10/2011

I have an appointment to do the same thing in two weeks, will be interested in your results, I am 65 years old and feeling it, I have always had highlights but my hair is dark, now with gray in it. I am really feeling bad about myself right now and I hope this will help!

SweetWood ­Max1301686194.16712234 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I just posted this same thing a few weeks ago. This is a major pain in the butt.

I have ugly brown hair with a little graw at crown, so I dye it auburn/reddish and my stylist puts blong streaks in it. But my hair grows so fast that I get it trimmed every 3 weeks so I have roots. So every 6 weeks I have to re dye and get the streaks put back in. So I'm on a hiatus from streaks now for a break. It's all red but next weekend I may get them put back in. I love the look but if your hair is anything like mine and grows like a bad weed, you are in for a lot of work/money

Also known as Maxs-Grandma!

Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color

orange1301795916.3133036 PostsRegistered 12/29/2005

Thanks again ladies for all the terrific replies - I am thinking it will be too much upkeep, expense and pain for my hair to do the base and highlights. I am going to talk to my stylist about doing the two shades of blonde - right now I have a light blonde with almost cherry auburn lowlights (sounds weird but was pretty for winter). I think though I am happier if I lighten it up a bit for the warmer weather.

Page 1 of 1