Top Rated on Easy Pay
21 Members and 10473 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Balancing fine, limp hair, and the drying effects of color...

Started 1300196461.513 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1300555854.55 by PurplePink

Does anyone share my condundrum here? I have fine, flat, limp hair, that I used to overcome with volumizing shampoos and mousse. Just recently I have succumbed to the need for hair color, and I find it very drying. I am having a hard time finding a balance between moisturizing my hair and still having some sort of style. Moisturization helps w/ the drying effects of color, but makes my hair flat. Volumizing shampoos and mousses have a drying effect.

I am in a pickle. Any suggestions?

Thanks :)

Page 1 of 1
4downthesh­ore1300196777.7532429 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007PA

I have the same hair type..Have you tried WEN? I used to use so much product on my hair to give it body & since I started using WEN I don't need anything but styling cream & the treatment spray..

bopper1300202590.8214066 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

I was using Wen too and my hair after a month started to get thinner. I think it was the Wen. I have since stopped using it and now my hair is starting to get better. Mine is fine and thin too and I have to be careful not to overload product in it as well. I just use the Biolage Hydrating shampoo and conditioner and the Living Proof Thickening cream now with a little spray and it works well for me.

straykatz1300202901.4438608 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

There have been so many horror stories about ladies losing hair after using Wen that I will never try it. I use Folicure shampoo that I buy at Sally's Beauty supply store. I'm on the fence with Folicure's conditioner and only use it on the tips of my hair not all over. All over of any conditioner flattens my hair. I've have also cut down on the amount of mousse I use too and make sure I don't get a lot of it near my scalp. I am currently using Folicure mousse as well.

@-->-->---

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.

Claybasket1300207811.077173 PostsRegistered 10/12/2010

I highly recommend Kerastase hair products. They make an excellent line for color treated hair and I also love, love their volumizing line which is perfectly safe to use on color treated hair. You can research it on the web or it can be purchased from a salon which carries the line. Their products are not inexpensive but worth every cent--Very concentrated so you don't have to use much every time you shampoo.

I also like Aveda's line for color treated hair and their Damage Remedy line. Aveda's volumizing products are ok but not my favorite and I wouldn't recommend them for color treated hair on a regular basis. Aveda products are less expensive than Kerastase. I have highlighted hair, baby fine but thick and the Kerastase and Aveda lines work perfectly for me. I rotate them -- often, it is trial and error to see which lines work best with your chemistry. Good luck!

iachick1300209426.9573100 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008
On 3/15/2011 Claybasket said:

I also like Aveda's line for color treated hair and their Damage Remedy line. Aveda's volumizing products are ok but not my favorite and I wouldn't recommend them for color treated hair on a regular basis. Aveda products are less expensive than Kerastase. I have highlighted hair, baby fine but thick and the Kerastase and Aveda lines work perfectly for me. I rotate them -- often, it is trial and error to see which lines work best with your chemistry. Good luck

I have very thin, fine hair and love the Aveda Color Conserve shampoo, conditioner and Phytoemollient mousse! It actually works better for my fine, thin hair than the Aveda volumizing products AND helps keep my highlights longer.

Sabatini21300210917.2832929 PostsRegistered 11/13/2010

.

Last edited on 5/20/2011

Last edited on 5/20/2011

Frannie1300211610.1071998 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006

I found volumizing shampoos to be very drying. Some mousses contain alcohol which is very drying too. I stopped using them. Instead I use a moisturizing shampoo and get the body I need from setting my hair on rollers or I use a hot styling brush. I use a styling lotion before blow drying then a styling/finishing spray to set my hair. I've been using Philip Pelusi products for a few years which I love by the way. My personal opinion is that coloring is best left to the pros - especially if you're doing more than just allover color.

Last edited on 3/15/2011

Last edited on 3/15/2011

kitkom1300212982.3475646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have THE finest, thinnest hair on the planet! I get a good cut regularly and that is the key! If I walk around without having a good haircut, my hair reverts right back to being limp and lifeless. I highlight my own short do and never experience any drying so I really can't comment on why color dries your hair out. Just remember..haircuts are a good thing! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

Subject1300213061.2911269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

Worse thing to use on color treated hair is volumizing products. They open the hair shaft up and the color leaves your hair sooner.

.

PurplePink1300219373.5431129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

Same here. Moisture shampoos/conditioners change my hair from wavy to straight and limp so I avoid them - TIGI Bed Head Superstar gives great volume. So here is what I think made a big difference for me and could help you too:

Get a "good" cut:

No product can "lift" limp hair if the cut is not right. The type of cut, and the way your hair is cut (horizontal -blunt vs vertical-thinning) and how often your hair cut is maintained should make the most difference. Here is what Kim Kardashian's stylist says about Kim's haircut "The secret to Kardashian's perfectly tousled hair: the right layers. "It's so important—if it wasn't layered enough the look would collapse," says hairstylist Frank Galasso of Frank Studio in Santa Monica, who cuts Kardashian's hair." http://www.allure.com/trends/2010/08/long_celebrity_hairstyles#slide=2

Deep conditioning:

Deep condition with olive oil every week (Olive Oil Deep Replenishing packs from CVS also work great -$1.69). It will make your hair feel "thicker", stronger and more "moisturized".

Avoid styling products that contain alcohol:

Another issue is that any product with alcohol (hair spray, wave spray, root lifting spray) will make hair look nice at first (looking big and polished), but then shortly after make it dull and dry, so I avoid alcohol - mousse, root lifters etc. The higher on the list of ingredients the worse. I do use hairspray from time to time but I can see how my hair feels different. I used Josie Maran's Argan Serum, now replaced by Dr Denese's Hair moisturizer and it improved my hair in time w/o ever weighing it down.

Styling techniques can give volume more than products can:

Using hot rollers or something like the InStyler will give you more volume than any product can on its own. Even going to bed with your hair up in a pony tail or bun will help.

Last edited on 3/15/2011

Last edited on 3/15/2011

UMTerpFan1300274857.651678 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

Try AGEbeautiful hair color, shampoo, etc sold at Sally Beauty. These products are specifically made for aging hair. Try the dye in one to two shades lighter then you normally use as the dyes are highly pigmented and come out darker than normal.

UMTerpFan1300275003.6071678 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010
On 3/15/2011 newport said:

Worse thing to use on color treated hair is volumizing products. They open the hair shaft up and the color leaves your hair sooner.

I agree. And if you are a curly haired gal like me, it takes the curl out of your hair too. Some of the volumizing formulas leave my hair feeling like straw with no body or shine.

QVCdebt1300281898.684578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York

I am with you. I use the Garnier Nutrisse haircolor. I have been coloring my hair for over 20 years. I used to use L'oreal Feria for a very long time, but found it drying. I have been using the Nutrisse and am very happy with it. I have been using it for over a year now, and still love it. I use the Garnier Color Shield shampoo and conditioner and like how it does add body to my hair. No complaints at all.

iachick1300323007.993100 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008
On 3/15/2011 kitkom said:

I have THE finest, thinnest hair on the planet! I get a good cut regularly and that is the key! If I walk around without having a good haircut, my hair reverts right back to being limp and lifeless. I highlight my own short do and never experience any drying so I really can't comment on why color dries your hair out. Just remember..haircuts are a good thing! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I agree a good cut is important but I struggle with what style is best for my thinning, fine hair. How do you know what works best for your hair?

kabukidanc­er1300393651.3399 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

Hi there.I have color treated hair and it is med/fine and the only shampoo/conditioner that has worked for me is Pureology Pure Volume.No sulfates in the shampoo and the conditioner is light and my hair is getting better all the time.I've wasted so much money on products including Wen(it works for a lot of people but didn't do a thing for me in fact my hair was falling out quite a bit).It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way.I have past the shoulder length hair and a quarter size is all I need of the shampoo and a little dime size of conditioner.Find it at a salon or on the Pureology site.I hope this helps good luck!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} P.S. This line is good for color treated hair as well.

lovestotea­ch1300394379.16314499 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Fine hair -- its so fine that I have to wear it short now. I thought I had found the perfect answer years ago, but that line of products contain wheat, and that makes my scalp break out! Right now the answer is: Pantene (Clarifying I have to get it on ebay) and it contains sulphates, but really makes my hair clean. I'm also pretty sure it strips the color -- oh, well! Then, I use organic John Masters detangler -- shipping is free and no tax!! Also am having luck with a teeny bit of Living Proof cream rubbed into hair before blow drying. My hair stays clean and does not attract dirt using this line-up of products.

Last edited on 3/17/2011

Last edited on 3/17/2011

Loves ~ dancin' & prancin' ~ ♥ ♥ ♥

watermelon­611300494522.413329 PostsRegistered 4/16/2010

I share your pain. I have an oily scalp (still, after 40 plus years) but now have dry hair due to dwindling hormones and highlighter/hair color. I have very fine, thin (and thinning more....see above reasons) hair that is very difficult to deal with. If I use conditioner or conditioning shampoo it makes my scalp break out and makes my hair flat and diry feeling. If I don't use it, hair comes out when I comb out the tangles after each shampoo. I am currently alternating between conditioning and clarfying and it's the best solution I have for now. The Pureology suggestion sounds good---will have to give it a try.

maryfitz241300500419.9159 PostsRegistered 8/5/2008New Jersey

So glad you asked this question. I have the same issue as you. My hair is fine (not thin but limp for sure). I am always trying to thicken, volumize, you name it. Hairdressers always told me which products to use and they always were designed to give me body. I don't overdue on products (use shampoo, condition ends, and 1 styling product) but have found my hair not "behaving" as well over the past several years. I've always thought I needed another shampoo, etc and keep trying new products...but again, always ones that are volumizing and thickening. I used to get highlights 3 times per year just so my hair would be thick for 2-3 weeks. I have since dropped down to 1 time for highlights.

Since reading this thread, I am re-thinking my products. I need to wash my hair every day. I think with all these products, they are drying my hair out and making it misbehave more than usual. I never knew I could be drying it out in the name of getting volume/thickening. Thanks for the responses to this thread. I'll have to revamp my hair routine.

Does anyone have other suggestions for brands/formulas for this type of hair? I read the post about Pureology. I know Ulta carries that and they have a travel size.

Last edited on 3/18/2011

Last edited on 3/18/2011

PurplePink1300505647.2171129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010
On 3/18/2011 maryfitz24 said:

So glad you asked this question. I have the same issue as you. My hair is fine (not thin but limp for sure). I am always trying to thicken, volumize, you name it. Hairdressers always told me which products to use and they always were designed to give me body. I don't overdue on products (use shampoo, condition ends, and 1 styling product) but have found my hair not "behaving" as well over the past several years. I've always thought I needed another shampoo, etc and keep trying new products...but again, always ones that are volumizing and thickening. I used to get highlights 3 times per year just so my hair would be thick for 2-3 weeks. I have since dropped down to 1 time for highlights.

Since reading this thread, I am re-thinking my products. I need to wash my hair every day. I think with all these products, they are drying my hair out and making it misbehave more than usual. I never knew I could be drying it out in the name of getting volume/thickening. Thanks for the responses to this thread. I'll have to revamp my hair routine.

Does anyone have other suggestions for brands/formulas for this type of hair? I read the post about Pureology. I know Ulta carries that and they have a travel size.

Last edited on 3/18/2011

You don't need to change them all just be mindful you need to ump up the moisture by deep conditioning and using less alcohol based styling products.

Nexxuss Diametress Volume Shampoo and Cond, John Frieda Luxurious Volume and TIGI Bed Head Superstar - won't dry you out

gubby11300506575.811551 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010puget sound

I dont use any products that contain alcohol. Read your labels. Even heavy duty conditioners that you leave on overnight are loaded with alcohol. I get really good hairspray from Aveeda that is alcohol free.

maryfitz241300541953.927159 PostsRegistered 8/5/2008New Jersey
On 3/18/2011 PurplePink said:
On 3/18/2011 maryfitz24 said:

So glad you asked this question. I have the same issue as you. My hair is fine (not thin but limp for sure). I am always trying to thicken, volumize, you name it. Hairdressers always told me which products to use and they always were designed to give me body. I don't overdue on products (use shampoo, condition ends, and 1 styling product) but have found my hair not "behaving" as well over the past several years. I've always thought I needed another shampoo, etc and keep trying new products...but again, always ones that are volumizing and thickening. I used to get highlights 3 times per year just so my hair would be thick for 2-3 weeks. I have since dropped down to 1 time for highlights.

Since reading this thread, I am re-thinking my products. I need to wash my hair every day. I think with all these products, they are drying my hair out and making it misbehave more than usual. I never knew I could be drying it out in the name of getting volume/thickening. Thanks for the responses to this thread. I'll have to revamp my hair routine.

Does anyone have other suggestions for brands/formulas for this type of hair? I read the post about Pureology. I know Ulta carries that and they have a travel size.

Last edited on 3/18/2011

You don't need to change them all just be mindful you need to ump up the moisture by deep conditioning and using less alcohol based styling products.

Nexxuss Diametress Volume Shampoo and Cond, John Frieda Luxurious Volume and TIGI Bed Head Superstar - won't dry you out

Oh, I agree....I was just checking my labels and realized alcohol in some of them. I should have said I was going to stop using the ones with alcohol. Thanks for the recs. I need to be better about reading labels.

tantallum1300542804.8231462 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

I have the EXACT same hair as you and also color mine bright red. It is indeed drying, but ultimately my hair looks better with a vibrant color instead of dull butt brown even if it is a little drying. I agree with the poster who recommended Aveda shampoo and conditioner (esp the color depositing line). Another thing that I do is use a moisturizing hair mask on a weekend day where I am not going out (since such a deep conditioner weighs my hair down something terrible, but I just use it once per week and when I'm not going out in public!).

I have also tried almost every volumizing product out there and here are a few combos I've been loving lately:

--Living proof volumizing cream + a texturizing spray(I've used both mop and daives), then after blow dry, I spray redken wool shake into my hands and rake/scrunch my fingers through my hair, then comb out. the wool shake is amazing for volume, but admittedly there is a fine line between it giving volume and making it sticky and dry so I rec spraying into your hands first instead of directly on hair. the bottle is like 10 bucks at ulta and will last me at least a year.

--volumizing mousse (I've used John Frieda and redken guts), THEN after I blow dry, I flip my head over and spray all over with Aveda air control spray and then comb out.

sorry for the long post, but I've been battling my fine, thin, limp hair for 30 years and I've found that a combination of products really is needed to give it any kind of volume. I have a bob length, for reference.

tantallum1300542886.8471462 PostsRegistered 10/31/2006Chicago, IL

Also, I tried Wen (twice, a few years apart) and it was awful on my hair. My hair looked dirty and laid flat on my head.

Edit to add that a lot of posters have rec'd not using pdts withOUT alcohol. Ideally yes, but I have found that without styling products, the best haircut in the world, or spending all day using rollers will NOT give my pathetic hair volume... so I try to make up for the coloring and some alcohol-containing products by using good quality conditioners, and the 1-2 x weekly deep condition.

sounds like you will have to try and see what works best for your hair, you have a lot of good suggestions here, best of luck! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 3/19/2011

Last edited on 3/19/2011

Claybasket1300550196.733173 PostsRegistered 10/12/2010

I finally figured out that the sulfate free shampoos/conditioners, etc. were extremely drying to my hair. I have used several of the better lines (Living Proof, Pureology, Redken's new sulfate free line, Ojon (not sure if it is sulfate-free as I used it when it was first introduced) but all of these dried my hair. I stopped using them and presto, my hair was back to normal. I know they work beautifully for some people, just not me. So, if you are using sulfate free products and are having difficulty with your hair, they may be the culprit. I have talked to several others who had the same issues using sulfate-free.

PurplePink1300555854.5471129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010
On 3/19/2011 Claybasket said:

I finally figured out that the sulfate free shampoos/conditioners, etc. were extremely drying to my hair. I have used several of the better lines (Living Proof, Pureology, Redken's new sulfate free line, Ojon (not sure if it is sulfate-free as I used it when it was first introduced) but all of these dried my hair. I stopped using them and presto, my hair was back to normal. I know they work beautifully for some people, just not me. So, if you are using sulfate free products and are having difficulty with your hair, they may be the culprit. I have talked to several others who had the same issues using sulfate-free.

I read a few reviews Paula Begoun from Beautypedia.com had on a few sulfate-free shampoos and she does mention some of them (like L'oreal EverPure etc) use a different cleansing agent than the regular "sodium laureath sulfate", which can have more irritant effects. She also mentioned that the claim that "sulfate-free" are better for your hair and hair color is not backed up by current research. I didn't know what to make of her reviews (she seems to give bad reviews sometimes just because some products have fragrance or essential oils in them which I like, but anyways this is another story), but it seems that it could be true based on your post and others.

Page 1 of 1