Fall Fashion Clearance
33 Members and 15475 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Clarisonic or Olay version? Which do you recommend?

Started 1299868219.027 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1300212745.98 by Jackie6

In your opinion is the Clarisonic really worth the high cost? Has anyone tried the Olay version? I would like to try a cleansing system but I am having trouble justifying the cost. What do you recommend? Thanks Beauties!

Page 1 of 1
Zaksgrrl1299868760.9479844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

Well, the Clarisonic uses sonic technology to clean your skin, the others are just mechanical brushes.

To me, the Clarisonic is worth the money just because it is gentler to the skin.

Just like sonic toothbrushes are kinder to the mouth than just using a plain brush.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

chianti1299873347.04621 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006

Personally, I would not buy another Clarisonic. I had one, and it stopped working right after the warranty ran out. My only option was to buy another handle directly from Clarisonic for another $95. I was not happy. That's a lot of money for a product to only work two years. Someday I might try the Olay one, but I'm done with Clarisonic.

VCamp27481299873469.566670 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006

Neither. I have a Clarisonic & keep hoping it'll die so I can throw it out without guilt. Never thought about the trap I'd gotten into when I bought it insofar as having to get new brush heads every couple of months. Never again. A good microfiber cloth along with a good exfoliating skin cleanser is all I need.

Alexis1241299873626.95436 PostsRegistered 2/13/2011

I LOVE my clarisonic, and won't be without it. My skin has never looked better. I have acne prone skin with large pores. This has made a huge difference. Love the sonic technology.

BESwede1299875696.386218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

Personally I wouldn't use either. I bought the Clarisonic, tried it for several weeks and found it did nothing at all for my skin that a soft, clean washcloth didnt already do. I returned it and was glad that I did when the dermatologist later told me they can do damage to skin tissue, cause broken capilleries and increase breakouts. Saw that Dr. Baumann (Skin Type Solution) recommends the BufPuf as one of her favorite skin care products and remembered using them years ago! Got the gentle version and I use it a couple of times a week for bright, clean, gently exfoliated skin. Safe, and much less $$ plus it takes up no counter space, is easy to travel with and can be disinfected.

47, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

Chatam1299877520.99525 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Olay. Save your money Olay works just as well.

tatz1299877798.916626 PostsRegistered 11/2/2010.....Kentucky

I have the clarisonic, would not spend the money again, my advice is buy the olay.

......formerly k dash
......not a tatz artist
......no tatz on me

stilltamn8r1299877981.11313924 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal
On 3/11/2011 sailorgal said:

Well, the Clarisonic uses sonic technology to clean your skin, the others are just mechanical brushes.

To me, the Clarisonic is worth the money just because it is gentler to the skin.

Just like sonic toothbrushes are kinder to the mouth than just using a plain brush.

Please explain "sonic technology"- does it use sound waves? Does it not use a brush?

Last edited on 3/11/2011

Last edited on 3/11/2011

PurplePink1299882801.731129 PostsRegistered 10/29/2010

See my review on another thread on the same topic.

"

I too was contemplating getting the clarisonic but that price tag was just outside my budget.

Here is my take on this:

Olay Brush Review

I purchased the set at Costco where for $7 more I also got a replacement brush and a full size cleanser. I have been using it for about 2 months now and I am very satisfied. The brush is very soft and has not irritated my very dry and sensitive skin. I only use it at night because I feel like there is no need for such a thorough cleaning for my face in the morning bc my skin is quite dry. That is just my preference and it is mostly determined by trial and error. I have noticed it improved my skin clarity, diminished blackheads and has helped buff down some random bumps (not pimples) I would get along my jaw line. My moisturizer is absorbed faster and overall my skin in looks better. I don't "glow" or have impeccable skin as a result of using it, but it did improve the overall look of my skin by a lot.

Sonic vs rotating technology

Yes the Olay one or any other in its price range, does not use sonic technology. However, unlike studies (and dentists' recommendations) that confirm that sonic technology helps get rid of plaque on your teeth, I have not seen any study that appeared in a peer reviewed medical journal quoted during the clarisonic shows (it was only their clinical trial results) to prove the benefits of sonic technology not just rotation. So, whether the sonic technology gives your skin more benefits that a rotating brush can't, is something yet to be proven and until then I do not think the sonic technology is something worth almost $200, to me at least.

Marketing techniques

The entire beauty industry has quite effective marketing that targets women's deep feears of aging, of not having "glowing skin" etc. I have found that the phrase "you get what you pay for" is something yet to be applicable to the beauty industry - it applies to very few items (at least that I have tried). I think competition is great and the fact that the Clarisonic is facing competition from Olay is another reason for them to prove what extra/unique benefits their product brings that the Olay can't.

I would advise anyone to get the Olay one, see how their skin feels and think whether they would then need to "invest' more into a clarisonic or just stick with the Olay one. I would bet you will be very satisfied with the Olay one (or any other like it).

Hope this helped"

theblonde71299885062.41751 PostsRegistered 3/4/2011

I got a super deal on my Clarisonic Mia and I'm very happy with my purchase. It doesn't seem like anyone really knows if sonic technology makes a difference or not, but I do know that my skin looks and feels great since I've been using it. I use the sensative brush head with gentle pressure and have no concerns about damaging my skin. You'll have to change brush heads with both models, kind of like changing your toothbrush every few months, so I think it's a little funny that people here have complained about that. I did notice that the Olay system is battery operated and I like that the Clarisonic is rechargeable instead.

ChynaGirl1299885347.043895 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005

Paula Begoun did a review about this on her radio show a week or so ago. She said they basically do the same thing, so why pay for the Clarisonic when you get the EXACT results with the cheaper Olay version. She also said something about the heads needing to be replaced; $40 for the Clarisonic, I forget the specific amount for the Olay but I think it was between $14 and $20. The difference will certainly add up after a while.

Last edited on 3/11/2011

Last edited on 3/11/2011

stilltamn8r1299885494.0413924 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal
On 3/11/2011 Karolynp said:

I got a super deal on my Clarisonic Mia and I'm very happy with my purchase. It doesn't seem like anyone really knows if sonic technology makes a difference or not, but I do know that my skin looks and feels great since I've been using it. I use the sensative brush head with gentle pressure and have no concerns about damaging my skin. You'll have to change brush heads with both models, kind of like changing your toothbrush every few months, so I think it's a little funny that people here have complained about that. I did notice that the Olay system is battery operated and I like that the Clarisonic is rechargeable instead.

I wonderd about the batteries vs charger thing- Ihave the Olay and I love it, but I cannot obviously compare it to clarisonic, cause I don't have one-

I CAN say, though, that i got mine in December bfore Christmas, not exactly sure when, and have not had to change batteries yet, and no charger sitting out on my counter- I keep minein the shower, and if I had to charge it somewhere else (counter) I would likely "forget" to bring it in with me every day.....

bb77071299886417.37174 PostsRegistered 7/12/2006Pennsylvania

Neither, my derm told me to stay away...

hairydogmo­ther1300208314.7855 PostsRegistered 7/31/2010

Olay version!

Why buy purebred when you can rescue pure love? Adopt a pet!

nailgirlxo­xo1300210925.6302 PostsRegistered 2/1/2008

I sold my mia on ebay after it wasn't doing anything for my skin and read it could be part of the cause of my breakouts. I would go for Olay after reading Paula's review of it. Save money so if it dosn't help your skin you don't have a $200 appliance sitting around the house.

Jackie61300212745.973977 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

Ya know what? I fell for the Mia the very last time QVC had it on and said "your not going to see this again for a very long time!" Oh heavens, get on the horn and order one! And that's just what I did. Don't think I got a great deal, still cost me over $150 of which I don't have and don't see any difference in my skin at all. I still get occasional breakouts. I should have just stuck to my facecloths. They worked just as well. I have no one to blame by myself. Maybe in 2 years mine will die and I won't have to worry about charging it or replacing heads. Moral of story: Save your money!

Page 1 of 1