Boot Boutique
44 Members and 10655 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Cosmetic Cop-Paula "Goes In on" on OCM for Oily skin

Started 1299548288.153 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1299764583.1 by innerbeauty
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/the-oil-cleansing-method-for-oily-skin.aspx

The Oil-Cleansing Method for Oily Skin?

p { margin-top: 0px; }

Be Very Skeptical!

If you have oily skin, acne, or both, you may have heard of something called the "oil-cleansing method," either from a friend or from browsing the Internet. In that case, you're probably wondering whether the oil-cleansing method is finally the solution to your shiny face, or perhaps an end to constant breakouts. In short, the answer is a resounding: No!

Of course, you can test the oil-cleansing method yourself, but before you jump into what is really little more than a skin-care fad and a waste of time, here are the facts you need to make an informed decision.

What Is the Oil-Cleansing Method?

The oil-cleansing method is posted on the "natural" skin-care/health website www.theoilcleansingmethod.com. They passionately recommend it and provide extensive rationalizations for it as the only way to clean oily, blemish-prone skin.

The oil-cleansing method is a recipe for a mixture of castor oil and other plant oils. You mix it up yourself, rub it on your face, and then wipe it off using steam and hot water. According to the site, you're supposed to meditate during cleansing. (Honest, they really do say that.)

This cleansing method is based on the chemistry rule of "like dissolves like," which means that one substance can dissolve or break down substances similar to it. That's the rationale they use to explain how the oil-cleansing method mixture, which is composed of oils (in this case plant oils) will dissolve the oils on your skin and stop more oil from being produced, all because some oils are similar to other oils.

Unfortunately, that principle does not hold here, and so the method doesn't work. In fact, there are so many things wrong with their rationale, it's almost mind numbing.

Why This Method Doesn't Work for Oily Skin

The flaw in their logic is that it assumes oily, blemish-prone skin is simply oil on the surface, when in reality it is far more complicated than that.

Your skin produces oil in response to the hormones your body produces. The fact that this excess oil is being generated all the time explains why your skin is greasy throughout the day.

Dissolving oil from the surface of your skin cannot affect what is happening below the surface, inside the pore, or in your body, where these hormones are generated. Using cleansing oil may remove facial oil from the surface of your skin, but that's about all it can do.

A Few More Misleading Ideas to Clear Up

Aside from presenting the idea that oil dissolves oil, the website for the oil-cleansing method also makes the statements below (shown in bold face); our response follows each statement, and explains why the information is either wrong or misleading:

• Cleansers strip skin of oils, leaving it tight and irritated. Not all "traditional" water-soluble cleansers leave skin tight and irritated. Using the term "stripping" makes it sound like water-soluble cleansers are ripping oil from your skin and causing damage. The truth is that gentle water-soluble cleansers are simply dissolving the oil, just like the oils in the oil-cleansing method, but in a different way.
  • Cleansers are highly-fragranced, further irritating skin. Not all cleansers are highly fragranced. Some indeed are highly fragranced, but some contain no fragrance; it depends on the cleanser. Many types of oils are highly fragranced, but the oil-cleansing method website isn't categorizing these together with oils that contain no fragrance, as they have with this comment on non-oil based cleansers.
  • Drinking water will "flush toxins" from the body, improving oily and acne-prone skin. There are no toxins in your body that your body can't flush out on its own through the body's natural processes. It isn't bad to drink lots of water, but it won't change how much oil your pores produce. And your skin's oil is not a toxin; it actually has some amazing benefits for your skin. Drinking water cannot affect oil-regulating hormones, either.
  • The combination of oils and hot steam used by the oil-cleansing method will "deep-clean" skin in a way that no other product can. Hot steam is irritating in every way possible, and irritation stimulates oil production directly in the pore and makes pimples look even redder. Using hot steam on a regular basis also can cause small blood vessels in your skin to rupture, over time creating a network of surfaced red capillaries.
  • Dissolving oil on the surface of skin will change how your pores produce oil, which will lead to clear skin. How such a process could be possible isn't explained, and the company doesn't provide any research on the website. Real research shows that applying potent irritants to the skin's surface can trigger more oil to be produced at the base of the pore, but simply removing the surface oil with a gentle cleanser (oil-based or not) isn't going to alter how oil is produced.

If Only Fixing Oily Skin Was This Simple…

Cleansing skin with oil isn't a new concept, and there isn't anything wrong with using an oil to remove makeup, but it doesn't do anything more than serve as a greasy-feeling cleanser. If the oil-cleansing method were all it took to get rid of oily skin and blemishes, every company would be selling the routine, because it isn't exactly rocket science to reproduce. But, given the complicated physiology of skin (it is the largest organ of the body) and the complex nature of acne and oily skin, a single cleansing step cannot begin to address all, or even a small portion, of the associated problems.

To be fair, experimenting with the oil-cleansing method (minus the steaming) won't hurt your skin. At worst, it will just waste your time and exacerbate breakouts. But after that, you should follow recommendations based on what published research has shown can effectively treat oily, blemish-prone skin.

This is a MESSAGE Board...NOT a MESSY Board.

So what if you have a hunch-back, honey. We all see it, know it's there...so just throw a little glitter on it and go on out dancing! (old bayou wisdom)

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Zaksgrrl1299548980.6239844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

Thanks, Cres, my opinion of her just took another dip.

I have oily, blemish-prone skin and the OCM made the first significant change in its condition EVER. I won't go into the unpleasant details, but the OCM cleared out my congested skin for the first time ever!

It continues to clean my pores of plugs and blackheads every week.

PB has gone too far - trying to convince people against their own empirical proof!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

noposting1299549664.3573577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
I totally agree with Paula. My breakout prone skin exploded when I tried cleansing it with oil. Be careful if you are acne prone and try it.

PBJ1299549803.0736821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

Thanks for posting this. I have oily skin and OCM works fine for me. I make sure I remove the oil and I don't do it everyday. You have to find a balance and what works for your skin without someone telling you it isn't right for you.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babyb1299549850.224651 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

Unless I read the OP wrong, she never addressed congested skin.....just the oil issue.

Sammycat11299550126.129660 PostsRegistered 9/30/2005

I have to agree with her--in my experience at least. I have oily AND blemish-prone skin, and OCM was an absolute disaster for me, even bringing on cystic acne that I hadn't seen in years. Maybe it works for people with primarily oily skin but who are also not prone to acne.

Coke Zero ­Addict1299550390.81360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010

It just proves to me what I have always believed. Do your own research and find what works for your own skin. Paula seems to be making a lot of broad sweeping statements herself. I say find what works for you; share here what works or doesn't work for you if you wish. I use several different cleansers and am very happy.

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Cresm8r19081299551774.0673511 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006Sitting Pretty, Perched and Posed

I just found this to be an interesting read. I am in agreement that this method is NOT for everyone...just like beauty products. The article does seem to explain though why some might experience less than desirable results, which is why I thought it might be helpful to some.

I have oily maturing skin. Can be prone to breakouts/flare-ups due to hormones/stress.

I have used (and I know of others posters who have used) Olive Oil on my face to cleanse/moisturize - my entire life. It is the only thing I have known my family and families of similar cultures to use on our babies to wash them (for months after birth).

I do use the OCM periodically - but I am one of the ones that can use a 50:50 Castor Oil and Tea Tree oil mix after a 4% salicylic "cleanse". Once a month.

So what if you have a hunch-back, honey. We all see it, know it's there...so just throw a little glitter on it and go on out dancing! (old bayou wisdom)

willdob31299552219.5110432 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

Since when is this a fad? I've been using OCM for years.

Nothing works for everyone but I've had good results with it. I try lots of products that don't do anything and I never use them again. This is something that gives me visibly good results. I have oily/combination, aging skin.

Last edited on 3/7/2011

Last edited on 3/7/2011

manny21299553935.7131786 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

She is knowledgeable, I agree with what she says. The oil method is not the best for everyone. I also think she is fair in her ratings of products. She developed her line by studying other lines and tweaking them and making them better. By the way her line is pretty good.

squeezebox1299554346.0075543 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008Land of oz!

In my case, AMEN Paula! Me thinks she hit the nail on the head.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

azterry1299555341.5276341 PostsRegistered 3/31/2008valley of the sun, AZ

OK. Mark my words and this day.

Paula will start selling an OCM related cleanser in the not so distant future. Her opinion of the method will change.

Of course it's not for everyone. Nothing is. It's not new and it does work for some. I do it once per week and have very much improved my pores and eliminated blackheads that have plagued me since my teen years.

I said this before and I will say it again. Her reviews are getting progressively snarkier. Entertainment value, I suppose.

When I get tired of shopping, I sit down and try on shoes~

Zaksgrrl1299555659.649844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 3/7/2011 azterry said:

Paula will start selling an OCM related cleanser in the not so distant future. Her opinion of the method will change.

Of course it's not for everyone. Nothing is. It's not new and it does work for some. I do it once per week and have very much improved my pores and eliminated blackheads that have plagued me since my teen years.

I said this before and I will say it again. Her reviews are getting progressively snarkier. Entertainment value, I suppose.

Too funny - because it's true!

Bear Grylls

Bella HS1299556141.2338076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

I have normal non-blemish skin and occasionally (haven't used it in more than a month or more) use the OCM to just get a little extra moisturization when I went up in strength with my Retin A. Not sure I'll even bother anymore but there may be a time or two that my skin would like a deep moisturization.

I add a teeny drop of oil to a light moisturizer wih powdered Vit C mixed in and use that on my face after Retin A...but not sure I really need too much moisture as tamanu and argan oils just sit on my face and make me wipe them off after an hour. I'm into really good cleansers which equals my passion for lipsticks and blushes.

When I wake up I never want to "dirty" my skin with makeup{#emotions_dlg.lol}...just a sunscreen, lipstick and sunglasses is my preference.... but we do have to put our faces on most days.

I think there are many derms that have given some of the advice Paula mentioned when they know their client's skin type. I agree with her much more than I disagree.

Last edited on 3/7/2011

Last edited on 3/7/2011

Zaksgrrl1299556397.4239844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 3/7/2011 Bella HS said:

I have normal non-blemish skin and occasionally (haven't used it in more than a month or more) use the OCM to just get a little extra moisturization when I went up in strength with my Retin A. Not sure I'll even bother anymore but there may be a time or two that my skin would like a deep moisturization.

I add a teeny drop of oil to a light moisturizer wih powdered Vit C mixed in and use that on my face after Retin A...but not sure I really need too much moisture as tamanu and argan oils just sit on my face and make me wipe them off after an hour. I'm into really good cleansers which equals my passion for lipsticks and blushes.

When I wake up I never want to "dirty" my skin with makeup{#emotions_dlg.lol}...just a lipstick and some sunglasses but I do like it when I put my face on.

I think there are many derms that have given Paula's comments to their clients after hearing about their skin routine and knowing they have very oily skin.

Do you mean the derms give the same comments as Paula's ? Surely no doctor relies on PB for advice.

Bear Grylls

Bella HS1299559574.6538076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 3/7/2011 sailorgal said:

When I wake up I never want to "dirty" my skin with makeup{#emotions_dlg.lol}...just a lipstick and some sunglasses but I do like it when I put my face on.

I think there are many derms that have given Paula's comments to their clients after hearing about their skin routine and knowing they have very oily skin.

Do you mean the derms give the same comments as Paula's ? Surely no doctor relies on PB for advice.

sailorgal....sometimes i feels if anything I comment on you seem to come back with something snarky sounding and i am not that type of poster.....and yes i believe derms do tell people with oily skin or acne to try to use less oily products on their skin. My comment has nothing to do with a derm running their practice on what Paula says. I have never even used a product from her line so i'm not basing my comments on that but i do feel she makes sense in many things I have heard or read where she is concerned. I would like to stop feeling like we have this banter going back or forth about who's comments are more accurate when they post......have a good weekSmile

Cresm8r19081299560038.5773511 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006Sitting Pretty, Perched and Posed

When I wake up I never want to "dirty" my skin with makeup{#emotions_dlg.lol}...just a sunscreen, lipstick and sunglasses is my preference.... but we do have to put our faces on most days.

I think there are many derms that have given some of the advice Paula mentioned when they know their client's skin type. I agree with her much more than I disagree.

Last edited on 3/7/2011

BELLA!! OMG...I thought I was the only one who felt like that (on most days) - - but I am NEVER without my "Lips"{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

makeup add­ict1299560188.557938 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006

Bella HS your impression of SG are correct. Do not take it personally.

My rosecea can't tolerate OCM. It can't even tolerate steam. Clinique works best for my skin. Everyone is different and she is right regarding water flusing out toxins and hormones affect your skin.

If this works for you, great. If it doesn't (like me) fine.

Cresm8r19081299561187.793511 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006Sitting Pretty, Perched and Posed
On 3/7/2011 makeup addict said:

My rosecea can't tolerate OCM. It can't even tolerate steam. Clinique works best for my skin. Everyone is different and she is right regarding water flusing out toxins and hormones affect your skin.

MakeupAddict - I'm glad you read and weighed in.

It seemed to me that a long while back there were ladies with Rosacea wanting to try this method. I never spoke up/directly to the issue (as I do not have Rosacea) - except to post a a couple of linkis/websites and encourage them to do their research.

I understand wanting to try anything that might help - especially after being widely touted on (various) beauty boards - but a "tender" skin issue just didn't seem to jibe in my mind as being one that would work with this method.

For those that did venture in and it worked - thatz fabulous. For those who did not or for whom this method did not work - I find that this type of information lets them know...it is NOT (just) them or that they are not alone. Thanks again!Smile

makeup add­ict1299562099.887938 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006

You're right. I was able to test an oil so it wasn't pricey. As soon as I put the oil on my skin, I knew it wasn't going to be a good thing. It was just too harsh. With rosacea my skin is so sensitive that I can't even do a full facial. The tech that I see for my brow waxing had a special on facials. When she reviewed my skin she said there was no way I could go thru the steam and a few of the other steps because my skin was so tender. The skin was "calm, but fragile" so handle with care. She did the extractions and a gentle pumpkin peel. No scrubbies, no steam, no oil, and no toner. Argon oil is fine for my hair, but not my skin. No Clarasonic.

Again, I'm glad you posted this. Lots of talk about OCM; it's not for everyone.

poodlpoo1299562272.4374265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

I have oily, blemish-prone skin and the OCM made the first significant change in its condition EVER. I won't go into the unpleasant details, but the OCM cleared out my congested skin for the first time ever!

PB has gone too far - trying to convince people against their own empirical proof!

that's your problem. You are sooo full of yourself that you think and swear by whatever works FOR YOU!!! You swear by OCM and STO because they worked for you. Therefore, you blast ANYONE who speaks against either one. Grow up....she has gone too far?? really, because she provided consumers with information....WITHOUT SELLING HER OWN LINE???

poodlpoo1299562572.0034265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010
On 3/7/2011 azterry said:

And I suppose YOU have the exact same "views" that you did ten years ago? (probably, as you are so closed-minded) But the skincare industry, research, etc. change rapidly. What we used 20 years ago is not at all the same as we use today. Some products may be the same, but technology, ingredients, and consumer awareness are vastly improved. Obviously she is going to change her thoughts and feelings towards things as she learns and grows. Is that a bad thing?

Coke Zero ­Addict1299562639.2571360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010
On 3/7/2011 poodlpoo said:

that's your problem. You are sooo full of yourself that you think and swear by whatever works FOR YOU!!! You swear by OCM and STO because they worked for you. Therefore, you blast ANYONE who speaks against either one. Grow up....she has gone too far?? really, because she provided consumers with information....WITHOUT SELLING HER OWN LINE???

PP you make no sense here whatsoever. Paula does sell her own line of course she has ulterior motives and should not be considered unbaised.

Also, why do you stalk SG, it is very creepy.

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

poodlpoo1299563130.5634265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010
On 3/7/2011 Livermore Wine said:
On 3/7/2011 poodlpoo said:

PP you make no sense here whatsoever. Paula does sell her own line of course she has ulterior motives and should not be considered unbaised.

Also, why do you stalk SG, it is very creepy.

Ahhh...I read this post just like she did, and just like YOU did. I commented to her once again, ridiculous comment, because I can't stand her. Why does it bother YOU so much? and furthermore, I think I have left 2-3 comments to her in the last MONTH... Why do YOU feel you need to stick up for another grown woman?? (supposedly)

And if you read the article, instead of just trying to say something stupid to me, then you would have noticed that IN THIS ARTICLE she was doing nothing but informing consumers, not trying to sell her own products.

SInce you are sooo brilliant, what in the world are her alterior motives for writing this article? She is not selling anything, she is doing what she does....informing consumers of skincare ingredients/practices/solutions..

calichick1299563214.5731270 PostsRegistered 11/20/2009

Japanese women have been using it forever...whatever, Paula.

Bella HS1299563240.5078076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 3/7/2011 makeup addict said:

Thank you and I'm not taking it personally because I have chosen to not pay attention to these directed replies to me and others whom I feel have been victims of dictating like opinions and responded to in the same manner and just needed to point it out because I like to hear all sides from all who post but all of a sudden this just rocked me the wrong way.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next