Back-in-Stock Fashions
17 Members and 12618 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Tamanu oil ROCKS!!!! Love Argan too!

Started 1298489053.323 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1299211668.953 by Dharma_Initiative

Hi Ladies, as many of you know, I don't post very often, but wanted to share.

With all of the STO discussions, and reading about the different oils and peoples' experiences with them, I remembered that I had a bottle of Tamanu oil that I got a while ago from Mountain Rose Herbs. I started doing more reseach on the web about different oils, and more about Tamanu, since I had some. I decided to try Tamanu oil on this rash that I had under my armpits, that came from who knows what, since the cortisone cream wasn't really clearing it. I was a bit skeptical, but thought I'd give it a shot. It took about 1 week of twice daily, AM and PM, applications to start clearing and about 10 days to clear, but it is GONE! The two small blemishes that I had from that time of the month also healed and cleared very quickly. *

I love this stuff and will always keep it and Argan in my arsenal of skin care products. Like many of you, I'm trying to get away from chemicals and synthetics. I know I will never be completely free of them, but I like the idea of using more natural products from Mother Nature.

I have used Argan oil for about two years now, started with Josies, but got a bottle from Camden Grey, and cannot tell any difference between the two. I like the way it hydrates my skin and use it after Retin A. With both oils, Argan and Tamanu, my skin has been looking and feeling great. I sometimes use the two together, either layered or mixed and sometimes separately.

There are alot of different companies that sell oils, not just STO, (Shea Terra Organics) Besides Camden Grey and Mountain Rose Herbs, there is also, From Nature with Love, Garden of Wisdom, Zamouri Spices, Posh Peddler, etc..... I did my research for price, quantity, quality, extraction method, processing, etc., besides reading other reviews not just from this board.

This is not, in any way, a slam against STO. I have some of their products that I am trying thanks to many on this board who raved about them. I appreciate all of the information and reviews of STO, both the positive and the negative, from the STO ladies that had experienced STO.

I'm just letting it be known that there are other options out there to get good oils. Nor, am I in any way, affiliated with any of the above mentioned companies, nor am I in any way affiliated with NR.

HTH and have a beautiful and wonderful day.

* Of course, individual results may vary.

Since I've fallen so hard for oils, just call me grease monkey.

Stop getting in your own way. Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone.

Can we tawk? You look mahvelous! Like buttah!

Page 1 of 2
cerinthe1298489857.7172608 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

Aw Sofa King, you're awesome! 1- SO glad you got some great results, I have to try Tamanu again. I got it eons ago and it never 'stuck' with me, but must try again.

And no need for all the disclaimers, I agree, there are lots of quality responsible places to get oils and natural nut butters and so on, from! I enjoy hearing about the other websites, many people have been shopping with them for years! And I wanna know about which those are! Anyhow, thanks for the great review! :)

Sofa King1298491152.7471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia

Thanks, Cerinthe! You too!

I had also bought Tamanu "eons ago" and after reading about STO and all the great results that everyone was getting, I thought I'd give it another try. So glad I did! I like it just as a facial oil as well, although it can be a bit heavy compared to the Argan. Try it and let us know what you think! I also like it for cuts and scrapes.

I normally wouldn't do all the disclaimers, but there seems to be a weird vibe here and I'd been accused of being NR (as, IF!) once before when all that hysteria was happening in the fall. C'est la vie! I too, like to hear about different sites to shop from and tried STO because it seemed, is, so popular! So far, I'm trying some of their products, but will post more later as I try them.

katz11298491319.913897 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009

I just got the Tamanu oil and have been battling some under arm irritation. I will give that a try. Thanks so much.

Sofa King1298492164.577471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia
On 2/23/2011 katz1 said:

I just got the Tamanu oil and have been battling some under arm irritation. I will give that a try. Thanks so much.

You too? What's up with that?! I think I'd read somewhere, probably here, that it could be from an allergy to the rubber/elastic in bras rubbing there. The rash seemed to follow that line....Anyhoo, try it. I only did it once a day and then after more research stepped it up to twice, and would've done it more, but it just wasn't convenient. I read that the oil should be applied about 5x's a day initially. Good luck!

katz11298492533.853897 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009

Sofa King, will start today. thanks for the suggestion. I got it for my husbands skin problems and didn't even think about my own. duh.

Sofa King1298493080.247471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia

Isn't that the way it goes? Always put our loved ones first! You actually got me to pull out my Tamanu when I read that you got it for your hubby and his skin issues! Isn't that funny? Full circle, baby! I also started using this on the back on my scalp...have a small patch of itchy scalies and it seems to be helping. Been reading your great posts about the soaps etc, and just got the hair/body bar yesterday...will have to figure out how to use it since I have very long, thick straight hair.

katz11298493321.343897 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009

sofa king, I'm going to try and dissolve the soap in some water for my son to use. He has my very curly hair and his hair is quite long. I think it will work better for him. My hair is about shoulder length maybe little longer and I just rub it on, but I have to separate my hair out to do that. I think if its in liquid form it will be easier to use.

Update us and let us know what you think.

I laughed when you said my post made you use the Tamanu oil and your post made me. Too funny.

Sofa King1298493725.407471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia
On 2/23/2011 katz1 said:

sofa king, I'm going to try and dissolve the soap in some water for my son to use. He has my very curly hair and his hair is quite long. I think it will work better for him. My hair is about shoulder length maybe little longer and I just rub it on, but I have to separate my hair out to do that. I think if its in liquid form it will be easier to use.

Update us and let us know what you think.

I laughed when you said my post made you use the Tamanu oil and your post made me. Too funny.

I thought so too!

I was thinking of cutting small pieces off and dissolving it as well. I did that with the ABS which wrote about on the STO thread,( the shorter one.) It seems to work better for me that way since the bar got a little to rough once I started using it. I dissolved the ABS with some rose water from Whole Foods. I'll keep ya posted.

azterry1298500300.36341 PostsRegistered 3/31/2008valley of the sun, AZ

Hi sofa. Good to see you!

I am a "closet" user of STO. LOL! I've ordered a couple of times mainly because I was interested in incorporating more oils into my skincare. I was using the OCM and having very good luck, so I branched out.

thanks for the other sites for oils. I've had good luck with STO, but it's always good to find other sources.

When I get tired of shopping, I sit down and try on shoes~

Sofa King1298502496.74471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia

Hey azterry, long time, how've you been?! Closet STO user, LOL! Love it! I've only tried Zamourie, Camden Grey and Mountain Rose Herbs, but the others look good. I haven't tried STO oils, but am trying their soaps and the clay, as well as the shea Nicolita....found some other sites that have the clay as well and I might order from them next time. The site that really looks interesting to me is www.fromnaturewithlove.com very descriptive about their oils.

They have a lot of the oils like STO and some prices are better, some not. I found out that the STO "Tsamma" watermelon is basically watermelon. This was the name that was given to the fruit that grew in the Kalahari desert so you'll see Tsamma, Kalahari or watermelon oil on different sites. The things you learn!

I'm interested in the camellia oil and this new Tarte oil.....passionfruit oil. Have you used any of those?

I haven't done the OCM, but always hear/read great things about it. I use the Deep Cleansing Oil from DHC which I love and incorporate jojoba into my cleansers. I also use and cook with coconut oil and love it. Makes the BEST popcorn! Like you, I live in a dry desert climate, except it's high desert at 7200' and so the dry air does a number on my skin and I'm constantly looking for new hydration products. I loved the Argan these last few years and this winter with the cold.

One other thing, you could probably find it since you're in AZ..."Hoof Alive" www.hoofalive.com .....It's for Horses Hooves and usually feed store type places have it. I know that I've mentioned it before, but I love it for dry skin, cuticles, and for nails it's the best. I put it on at night and my hands are really soft in the am. Sort of like Bag Balm, which I like, but not as medicinal smelling and it has a lot of great oils in it as well. A small tin lasts forever!

azterry1298503662.4936341 PostsRegistered 3/31/2008valley of the sun, AZ

I've been bad about getting back to the Misfits. Work has been so busy, I seem to be only able to manage one place these days.

I am very curious about the Tarte oil too. I started doing OCM from goggling it and doing a little reading. I had issues with blackheads on my nose and oily skin so I started doing OCM with Castor and EVOO and some Jojoba once a week. Loved how it cleaned my skin and it seemed to reduce my pore size. My skin is a lot more "normal" than oily in the winter and I don't know whether to thank menopause or OCM!

I have some coconut oil too that I blend with my body lotion in the summer. It's great for dry skin! haven't tried cooking with it yet.

I haven't seen the Hoof Alive before. Interesting... I used to hang around with some people who had show horses, so maybe I did see it and just not realized it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I am a big fan of HeelTastic--you can get it at Bed Bath and Beyond. Wonderful for dry heels-we have sandle season 9 or 10 months a year here!

Take care. Hope to see you more over here!

When I get tired of shopping, I sit down and try on shoes~

Sofa King1298505729.753471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia

I haven't been over there in a while, last time it seemed like it was moving slow and not a lot of posts. Haven't been able to get on the boards in a while and only get a brief chance to check them out. Today's the exception. Glad you've had success with the OCM, it's so nice when something works for us. Try cooking with the coconut oil, if you get the chance, even if it's just popcorn. I use it on toast in the AM now instead of butter. It gives a great flavor and is actually very healthy and holds up better at high heat even compared to Olive Oil, and if I get some on my hands, I just rub it in! I've been wondering about the HeelTastic, will have to check it out. I'm in boots or sandals! Take care and catch you later. Great chatting with you! SK.

Nightowlz1298506497.439737 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I bought some expensive Tamanu Oil from iHerb for just over $16 for 0.5 oz 100% organic. When I was about out I bought some from STO. The two don't even compare. I like STO Tamanu Oil a lot better. The oil does not even look the same. I have been using it with ther Baobab Oil. I love both of them.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Girlo1298510921.4972949 PostsRegistered 1/20/2007

Nightowlz

How do you use those 2 oils???????

We are all mortal till the first kiss and the second glass of wine.

Nightowlz1298511237.849737 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/23/2011 Girlo said:

Nightowlz

How do you use those 2 oils???????

I wash my face with the black soap bar then apply the tamanu oil & then the baobab oil at night. I get hormonal breakouts sometimes & have not really had much problems since I started using the tamanu oil. I also use the baobab oil on my hands & nails.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Brenpatsa1298511822.66313 PostsRegistered 2/24/2008
On 2/23/2011 Sofa King said:

Try cooking with the coconut oil, if you get the chance, even if it's just popcorn.

Yum, this sounds delicious!

Girlo1298512706.962949 PostsRegistered 1/20/2007

Thanks Nightowlz

We are all mortal till the first kiss and the second glass of wine.

bbjones1298680256.7938 PostsRegistered 2/21/2011

I was thinking about ordering some products from STO. I was just wondering when you use the oils do you also use your daily moisturizer and in what order do you put it all on. I was also interested in the bar soap shampoo, but what do you use for conditioner? What is best for fine lines in the forehead and around the mouth?

Sofa King1298684467.777471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia
On 2/23/2011 nightowlz said:

I bought some expensive Tamanu Oil from iHerb for just over $16 for 0.5 oz 100% organic. When I was about out I bought some from STO. The two don't even compare. I like STO Tamanu Oil a lot better. The oil does not even look the same. I have been using it with ther Baobab Oil. I love both of them.

Wow, that is pricey! I think I paid around 30 bucks for 4 oz. from Mountain Rose Herbs. I haven't tried the STO's yet, but am interested in their Baobob oil. They are the weirdest looking trees.....saw Baobobs in Tanzania and Kenya on a trip there...sort of look like the "whomping willow" in Harry Potter movies.

What does the Baobob do for you?

Sofa King1298685201.893471 PostsRegistered 2/6/2008santefornia
On 2/25/2011 bbjones said:

I was thinking about ordering some products from STO. I was just wondering when you use the oils do you also use your daily moisturizer and in what order do you put it all on. I was also interested in the bar soap shampoo, but what do you use for conditioner? What is best for fine lines in the forehead and around the mouth?

For my AM routine, after cleansing and any serums, I will apply the oil(s) Tamanu and/or Argan, and then sunscreen, which is usually Josie Marans SPF40 with Argan.

PM, I apply them last after cleansing and serums....I will put the Argan on after Retin A and I've reduced any flakies from the RA by using the oil.

Tamanu is also nice for helping with skin issues like redness, rashes and inflammation. My face felt a little tender from some over zealous scrubbing the other night, and was a bit sore. I put on just the Tamanu that night and it helped my skin which was fine the next day.

The bar soap....just got this and am not sure about it, not wild about my results, so am hoping someone else will chime in regarding it's use. I'll probably post about it later, once I try it out more...

For lines, I use Retin A, but I think any Argan or some of the other oils, will help, just because of the hydration.

Hopefully some of the other beauties that are experienced oil users will chime in here.

casu1298744519.11138 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009

Two weeks ago, I received the tanamu oil from STO in my first order. I purchased it because of the reviews on this board, so thanks muchly!

My hubby has had red splotchy areas on his lower calf. Our derm has repeatly prescribed some cream. It hasn't helped, but he hasn't been too diligent in using it. I have been afftectionately (ha) referring to the situation as the "fungus amongus".

I have been gently "pressing" the oil on his legs once, sometimes twice, a day. It's working. This morning I started using it on the red polkadot that appeared on my face last year. Can't hurt.

Dharma_Ini­tiative1298758448.664147 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

I've had dry cracked lips for over 2 weeks now. I have no idea why, they never get like this. I was putting bacitracin on the corner cracks to try to heal them but they weren't improving much. Every time I opened my mouth they would reopen.

Then I got my Tamanu oil order and started putting that on it, multiple times per day. In 2 days it has healed the cracks closed. I also am putting it on 2 little blemishes and they're going away really fast too. I'm very impressed with it.

This morning I applied Tsamma Melon oil on my face and then forgot about applying anything else! Hours later as I was driving, the sun peaked out and I realized I'd forgotten to apply SPF, then realized I hadn't put on any moisturizer lotion at all. I was amazed b/c my face didn't feel dry.

Since using Tsamma Melon on my face in the morning (sparingly) I notice throughout the day that my face has a dewey, healthy look. It is pretty unheard of for my face to have color in the dead of winter and it's not makeup.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

NoeyD77!!!1298775560.58140 PostsRegistered 1/3/2011NYC-Manhattan
I'm looooooving the tamanu oil!!! I like it much more than argan oil, which I do like but comes in a distant 2nd. The tamanu oil is thicker but absorbs more quickly IMO than argan. It has heaped with a few sits and eczema! The only thing is the scent, which I really don't care for....so I just use it after my RX retinoid product I'm using at the time........ Last edited on 2/26/2011 Last edited on 2/26/2011

Last edited on 2/26/2011

WAS NoeyD but yet AGAIN hd issues with my acount....*sigh*

aprilskies1298776010.184806 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005

I got the tamanu oil from STO and I need to break it out. I am getting scars from monthly breakouts and they dont seem to be going away. Hopefully, this oil will help. One can only hope.

Mypetunia1298777617.75345 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

This is one of my favorite STO oils....it helps your skin heal quickly. I usually bruise when I get dermal fillers....my skin is very thin! This is the first thing that has ever helped my bruise fade quickly! It helps booboo's heal quickly. It smells like curry~it is not offensive to me.....others may think differently! I will always have this in my arsenal!

Page 1 of 2