Give Gorgeous
22 Members and 10841 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Eye puffyness after cataract surgery advice.

Started 1260381119 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1295775966.95 by Farmers daughter
I had cataract surgery 6 weeks ago... both eyes, one at a time. I see fine... some flash of light if I am in a room with florescent light, but I hope it will pass.
My question: I was used to puting on makeup with a magnifying mirror. No lines even at my age. Now I have puffy bags under them. Not there before, I swear.
Are these puffy bags a result of the surgery and will they go away?????
Any wonderful products out there that works without mortgaging the farm?

Page 1 of 1
aprildreams12603813461376 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007
I had what they call early onset cataracts and had them removed last year. What I have heard from everyone who has had cataract surgery and think they have more lines or puffiness under their eyes results from the fact that you can see better...in other words, it was always there, we just couldn't see it....lol! I know I saw things on my body I had never seen before, even with contacts/glasses!

miss_Moria12603881965537 PostsRegistered 4/15/2009Somewhere between Shangri La and Heaven
The best product I have ever used is Avon Solutions Advanced Eye Perfector. Its about $12.50 a small bottle but its a nice gel substance, goes on really well, you only need a small amount and its soothing and cooling. It takes the puffy eyes right down for me and I have used it for 12 years. I tried the coffee stuff from 100% pure but Avon's is much better and doesn't irritate at all. I can't be without it.
--
Disappointments are inevitable but misery is optional. Joel Osteen

All we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha

bonnielu12603928305822 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland
Kinda funny, that is what my doctor said. The only problem with my previously poor eyesight I used very high powered mirrors to put on makeup and saw no lines, wrinkles or puffiness. I even looked with magnifying glasses at my many pictures that were taken of me just months before the procedure, no puffiness. So while I know you are right, I still feel something is not right. I am off to the Avon catalog to buy the product. It may help, it certainly cannot hurt. Thanks....

lavendar12604144811466 PostsRegistered 7/13/2006
I have not had cataract surgery but have noticed puffy eyes when I wake up. I've been using 100% pure eye cream but only at night. I usually notice it when I've slept a lot and today my rings were tight. I wonder if it's fluid because it goes down as day goes on most days. I don't get an Avon catalog; can I order from their website?

bonnielu12604777755822 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland
I order Avon online at avon dot com. When I get my order they send booklets along with the product.
I am going to try it out.
This is crazy. I never had bags before the surgery. I was told I was kinda blind so I was not seeing them.
But with my mirrors I doubt they are right. Must be a fluid buildup of some sorts. Not likely to go into plastic surgery just to get rid of them. :-D

CraZLadE12605536681259 PostsRegistered 12/29/2007moutains of Carolina
I worked for ophthalmologist for years and what your doc said might be true but since you said you swear you didn't have the puffiness before, I think you know yourself better.
People heal differently. Some heal fast and others not so fast. Maybe you just need some more time and it will go away on it's own. Try cold compresses on your eyes in the a.m. I wouldn't aggravate your eyes with products right now. They put speculums in your eyes when they do the sx and that might have agitated the "fat pads" under your eyes. I don't know, I'm not an MD but work for them. I saw give it more time and use cold compresses. If they don't go away in another couple of weeks, go back to the doctor and ask questions.
Good luck!

miss_Moria12605576115537 PostsRegistered 4/15/2009Somewhere between Shangri La and Heaven
You might also try cucumber slices on your eyes, that is supposed to help and I used to use tea bags as compresses, which works really well when things are really puffy. I think its the tannins in tea that help.
I have the most sensitive eyes and I swear by the Avon Advanced Eye Perfector. It has never burned, made my eyes water, itch, etc. Now the 100% pure caffeine eye cream did make my eyes swell more and puff up so I ditched it. I gave it to a friend, who loves it. One thing about the Avon, if it doesn't work, you get your money back. My Avon lady will take it back no questions and if someone has to send it to her, she pays the postage back to them.
--
Disappointments are inevitable but misery is optional. Joel Osteen

All we are is the result of what we have thought. Buddha

oxox _111260559067168 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008
I had very early onset cataracts, first eye at 38 second at 45.
As I recall you are not allowed to wear makeup for at least 6 weeks and need to sleep with the eye sheild. Hang in there for a bit more before you send up the read flags

livein kin­dness1295626681.783698 PostsRegistered 12/17/2010Michigan

I too have that flash of light. You are the only other person that has experieced that, that I know of. It used to be almost like a strobe light the first few weeks. I still have it after 2 months. I also got puffy undereyes after. I had one eye that watered and my Doctor told me to use baby shampoo. This worked for me. She also talked about eye treatments. I find that I can not use any at night or I wakeup very puffy. For some reason the baby shampoo seems to give me enough mosture that I am not extremely dry in morning. Hope that helps and I hope our flashes go away. I have to wear glasses to read and can get away with not wearing while drving.

Becca331295648838.921017 PostsRegistered 9/19/2008Denver CO

Try drinking pineapple juice and taking bromelain!

brownie31295649144.187302 PostsRegistered 1/5/2007

Becca, I have never heard of pineapple juice and bromelain for puffy eyes. How does that work?

Becca331295649408.5171017 PostsRegistered 9/19/2008Denver CO

Brownie it is for the OP in case the surgery is causing the puffiness. It is a good thing to know in case you ever have surgery. It brings the swelling down and if you drink/take it before surgery your swelling isn't as bad. This includes oral/dental surgery.

Haley1295649469.94542 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006PA

>>>and think they have more lines or puffiness under their eyes results from the fact that you can see better...in other words, it was always there, we just couldn't see it....<<<</p>

bonnielu, I was thinking about this and, I think a woman can tell if she has puffy eyes no matter if her vison is bad! C'mon, I am very near sighted and wear contacts, you can tell if your eyes are puffy or not...even when contacts are out, I use a magnifying mirror too. It doesn't make sense to say you just couldn't see it before??? even with your corrective lenses??

"...it's all good, start creaming/contouring..." -shoptillIdrop

brownie31295649520.82302 PostsRegistered 1/5/2007

Thanks Becca!

Becca331295649616.761017 PostsRegistered 9/19/2008Denver CO

Welcome Brownie!

Stargazer771295669250.4476283 PostsRegistered 10/24/2006
On 1/21/2011 Becca33 said:

Try drinking pineapple juice and taking bromelain!

Consult your doctor about this if you're taking blood thinners or aspirin. Bromelain is a natural blood thinner. I've been using a lot of pineapple in my Vitamix lately, core included, which is where a lot of the "goodness" is I've heard. It's fantastic!

Farmers da­ughter1295775966.9231415 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

Hi bonnielu, Did you say your physician is aware of your concern? Does it say anything in your care instructions about sleeping with your head or head of the bed elevated? Please check with your physician to make sure this is okay if you are interested in trying it. This farmer's daughter doesn't want you to have to mortgage the farm!!!

Page 1 of 1