Boot Boutique
110 Members and 12349 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Cool-toned foundation for fair/light skintones ...

Started 1297636611.72 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1305554242.643 by smhr66

I HATE all of these yellow-tinted foundations!! Are there any fair gals out there who have found great non-yellow shades that work for them? My skintone is typically warm ivory in bobbi brown or fair in smashbox. Also, I am breakout prone and combo/oily so I need to find a foundation that works with that skintone. Thanks beauty boarders!!

Page 1 of 2
Paperdolly1297636942.1871207 PostsRegistered 3/13/2010Wisconsin
Hi. I found two just lately. Love them both: Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Foundation (HSN) and Skinn Cosmetics(ShopNBC). Neither one makes my skin break out. I'd love to know what others think of the Philosophy Foundation.

Proud volunteer for the Wisconsin Adopt A Golden Retriever Rescue and momma to Lucy, Striker, Sophie, Lilly & Ransom

sgreenb1297653196.9431 PostsRegistered 2/13/2011

L'Oreal True Match makes beautiful cool-toned foundations (look for a C in the color) for combo/oily skin.

MotleyCrue­4EVA1297703709.63096 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009South of Baltimore

Please try MAC. Their color shades come in C (cool); W (warm); NC (neutral cool); and NW (neutral warm). They have some of the best foundations on the market today.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option"

BESwede1297711718.8276218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

I'm very fair and cool-toned so I can totally relate- so many foundations are yellow based and make me look like I have jaundice ! I've found I do much better with minerals, plus I can't stand the look/feel of liquids. BE is my best color match (plus great coverage and a soft matte finish) plus I love Prescriptives All Skins Minerals, which comes in Cool, Neutral and Warm tones, then a number for the shade. It's still available on their website. The EL Mineral foundation isn't bad either, but is more expensive than the other two.

47, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer" coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

Pak51431297712254.747641 PostsRegistered 10/28/2010Michigan

I have been using BE light or medium for many years, but have started using Avon's mineral powder foundation and I like it a lot. I got it on sale for $7.99. That's about 1/3 the cost of BE. I also tried the Avon liquid minerals foundation and I like that as well. My complexion is light/medium and can't use makeup with any yellow tones either.

TooManyCats1297737877.212694 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009
I've found better matching with mineral foundations too. Currently using Lumiere Veena Velvet in light medium cool.

Farmers da­ughter1305297949.5371415 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

Can have a terrible time with shade selections too. Lancome has a great color selection as well as EL. In Lancome, I use the "Teint Idole" foundation in Buff 4 (C). Find a SA who will give you some samples close to your skin tone to check out at home. While at Macy's recently, noticed Clinique had an item I had not seen called "Correcting Serum" from the PORE REFINING SOLUTIONS line. Decided to pick it up, and am liking it very much. It is used twice a day. I also use Dr. Brandt's PORES NO MORE "Pore Refiner" on top of my moisturizer which works for me. This Lancome found. does not have an SPF. In EL, I use the "Desert Beige" (2N1) color in the DW (Double Wear) line, and "Cool Dusk" and "Cool Pebble " in the DM (Double Matte) line. The two EL lines do have SPF 10 and 15. My coloring is light/light med, cool undertone. Good luck!!!

Farmers da­ughter1305387217.2331415 PostsRegistered 8/28/2008

Wanted to bump for you, since it is the W/E.

Pinkroses1305391779.91289 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007TN
revlon photo ready liquid foundation in vanilla. I am fair with pink undertones.

From iPad Air

MWach1305397210.2621 PostsRegistered 4/23/2010

I love Becca foundations. They have cool, neutral and warm tones. I am fair with pink undertones and love their stick foundation, tinted moisturizer and concealer.

ssfbeagle1305399205.393591 PostsRegistered 11/2/2008

I had bought into the hype by Bobbi Brown that your foundation should be yellow based. Not true. I finally bucked that trend and bought a cool toned foundation. My skin looks much better. Currently I am using Estee Lauder Resilience Lift in Pale Almond and MAC Studio Sculpt in NW25. For most days I am using Laura Mercier TM in Bisque. I am very happy with all three.

ok21305399583.974688 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007

Chanel

irishwoman1305400220.5472168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006

I have used many.lancome clare 30,is great,ive also used estee lauder pale almond,thats good too,right now,i use supermoist by clinique in neutral, like that too..these do not have yellow in them,like some others i have tried,such as bobbie brown,lover stuff,but the foundation,is just to yellow for me.

Also you might want to try merel normans,i havent been there in a long time,but they do have some nice foundation for all shades of skintones.

Hope this helped!

Bren

patsyh1305422101.372184 PostsRegistered 10/29/2005Florida gulf coast

Your complaint is my complaint, too. I have had luck with BE fairly medium and Prescriptives liquid mineral foundation in cool level 2 (I hoarded it since the line was discontinued). Also, Laura Geller in fair if I'm lucky enough to get a compact without too much yellow. I'm cool, between a fair and medium.

Lots of good suggestions above--thanks, everyone!

patsyh1305422114.092184 PostsRegistered 10/29/2005Florida gulf coast

Your complaint is my complaint, too. I have had luck with BE fairly medium and Prescriptives liquid mineral foundation in cool level 2 (I hoarded it since the line was discontinued). Also, Laura Geller in fair if I'm lucky enough to get a compact without too much yellow. I'm cool, between a fair and medium.

Lots of good suggestions above--thanks, everyone!

Sister Gol­den Hair1305422391.7614497 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

Make-up Forever in liquid foundation

Jane Iredale for powder foundation

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Ty771305422764.44182 PostsRegistered 4/26/2007Pacifica, CA

From ULTA I *just* bought CARGO #20 and love the finish!

Kindness first..

MelOregon1305485068.983183 PostsRegistered 10/17/2009

Alima Pure mineral powder has a huge # of shades, 50 or 60! First time I've ever encountered shades that were actually too light for my pasty white skin. But they have inexpensive samples and good descriptions, easy to find the right one. Good quality products too, last longer, more finely milled. I can't wear BE, too orange and shiny for me. Not thrilled with the brushes, think my old ones from Everyday Minerals are a better value. But the powders are much better than what I've found anywhere.

HorizonBou­nd1305496712.1550 PostsRegistered 8/11/2006

I'm another person who has cool-toned fair skin. Any foundation colors (mineral or liquid) with yellow looks either jaundiced or just plain muddy on me. And it does feel like most lines swear by adding yellow tones...I've tried Tarte, BE, several drug store brands, and even Smashbox Halo which I can wear if I mix 75% fair with 25% light - but that's a pain to do every day. I'm currently using Laura Geller's BnB in Fair but it leans muddy on my skin. Bummer.

I would love to see Laura Geller's BnB in fair with less yellow in it since I love the delivery system of that foundation.

MarieIG1305497983.1333505 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

Ok, I'm cool / warm ignorant. Does cool mean the red tones in the skin, and yellow the warm tones? My mom was olive and my dad white as snow, who would burn like a crisp in the sun. I'm not quite as light as dad, but fair (porcelin usually matches), but try hard to keep my redness to a minimum. I notice a lot of foundations make me look like I'm putting mud on my face. Would this mean I'm better off looking for a "cool"? {#emotions_dlg.laugh} TIA

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

Ty771305499244.614182 PostsRegistered 4/26/2007Pacifica, CA
On 5/15/2011 MarieIG said:

Ok, I'm cool / warm ignorant. Does cool mean the red tones in the skin, and yellow the warm tones? My mom was olive and my dad white as snow, who would burn like a crisp in the sun. I'm not quite as light as dad, but fair (porcelin usually matches), but try hard to keep my redness to a minimum. I notice a lot of foundations make me look like I'm putting mud on my face. Would this mean I'm better off looking for a "cool"? {#emotions_dlg.laugh} TIA

YES, Marie! You describe it beautifully! LOL! Since I have grown too dry to get the finish I like from BE's fairly medium (pink undertone) I have found a couple alternatives. I mentioned CARGO above. (#20 or #30 depending on how much sun I got) and Maybelline's FIT Foundation #120. The nice thing about Maybelline is, if you order something from Ulta you can elect to receive the Maybelline sampler which has enough product of each color to put a swatch on your face. I tried 5 of the closest ones to find my perfect shade.

Kindness first..

aproudmom1305500042.037142 PostsRegistered 11/26/2007

I love the Lancome Teint Idole foundation. It does have SPF 15 and lasts 18 hours. I have combination skin and this still feels good at the end of the day. I don't like the feeling of an oily/moist face. I am trying all kinds of others and keep going back to the Lancome.

ccassaday1305500316.0271721 PostsRegistered 4/18/2009

I dont like liquid foundations. I hate how they just melt off you skin in the summer. I use clinique city compact in I think pale. I love it.

Last edited on 5/15/2011

Last edited on 5/15/2011

patsyh1305501105.2272184 PostsRegistered 10/29/2005Florida gulf coast
On 5/15/2011 HorizonBound said:

I'm another person who has cool-toned fair skin. Any foundation colors (mineral or liquid) with yellow looks either jaundiced or just plain muddy on me. And it does feel like most lines swear by adding yellow tones...I've tried Tarte, BE, several drug store brands, and even Smashbox Halo which I can wear if I mix 75% fair with 25% light - but that's a pain to do every day. I'm currently using Laura Geller's BnB in Fair but it leans muddy on my skin. Bummer.

I would love to see Laura Geller's BnB in fair with less yellow in it since I love the delivery system of that foundation.

ITA!!!!! I would like BnB in fair with no yellow and just a tiny smudge of pink.

MarieIG1305501388.7233505 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007
On 5/15/2011 Ty77 said:
On 5/15/2011 MarieIG said:

Ok, I'm cool / warm ignorant. Does cool mean the red tones in the skin, and yellow the warm tones? My mom was olive and my dad white as snow, who would burn like a crisp in the sun. I'm not quite as light as dad, but fair (porcelin usually matches), but try hard to keep my redness to a minimum. I notice a lot of foundations make me look like I'm putting mud on my face. Would this mean I'm better off looking for a "cool"? {#emotions_dlg.laugh} TIA

YES, Marie! You describe it beautifully! LOL! Since I have grown too dry to get the finish I like from BE's fairly medium (pink undertone) I have found a couple alternatives. I mentioned CARGO above. (#20 or #30 depending on how much sun I got) and Maybelline's FIT Foundation #120. The nice thing about Maybelline is, if you order something from Ulta you can elect to receive the Maybelline sampler which has enough product of each color to put a swatch on your face. I tried 5 of the closest ones to find my perfect shade.

Thanks Ty77!

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

Page 1 of 2