Meant for Mom(SM)
142 Members and 14221 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

What hair color covers gray hair best?

Started 1297511360.473 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1304438888.217 by JoElla

I have tried professional hair color from the beauty supply house and the boxed ones from wal mart. I can't seem to find one that completely covers the gray. Do you have a hair color that covers well for you?

Why buy purebred when you can rescue pure love? Adopt a pet!

Page 1 of 2
maestra1297513001.9278147 PostsRegistered 3/13/2008longing for a previous life

A lot of ladies here like Revlon Colorsilk for covering grey and it's oftten on sale. I get my grey professionally colored/highlighted, since home haircolor grabs in re/gold stage. I hate looking like a ginger cat.

No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. John Donne, Meditation XVII

Make Up Ma­iden1297514505.77508 PostsRegistered 7/22/2010

hehe.. "hairy ginger cat" heh

Well I'm still using up the old boxes of "Natural Instincts" which is oftentimes on sale also.

Instead of the usual time on the insert (which i think might be 10-20 min), my hairdresser said to leave it on an HOUR for gray hair. It works as a long term wash out rinse and it lasts on me far longer than they say.

But having said that, my hair used to be blonde, and yes.. it does give a rather reddish hue for the first few washes, then the red washes out rather pretty-ly. And there is no distinct root line that shows as the hair grows out.

For any strange dark streaks I have (brown, since menopause), i DON'T put the Natural Instincts on them. I dont remember why, but whatever happened, I didnt like it.

Maybe I'll try the Revlon Colorsilk also, altho if that is a perm color, I really hate being married to root touchups.

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Last edited on 2/12/2011

♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

Gloria1297515011.1074222 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/12/2011 Make Up Maiden said:

Well I'm still using up the old boxes of "Natural Instincts" which is oftentimes on sale also.

Instead of the usual time on the insert (which i think might be 10-20 min), my hairdresser said to leave it on an HOUR for gray hair. It works as a long term wash out rinse and it lasts on me far longer than they say.

WOW! I cannot believe your hairdresser suggested one hour! I use NI, too (Roasted Chestnut) and the box clearly says "for stubborn gray hair" to leave on a maximum of 20 min. This is what I do and I get good gray coverage. Admittedly, some gray strands may be a bit lighter, but it looks like highlights, a little more dimensional. I would be afraid to leave it on any longer, for fear my hair would fall out or something! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I'm glad it works for you, though.

Gloria

ibb381297516623.08711381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Clairol's Nice 'n Easy Gray Solution works best for me- I leave a little in the bottle and after about 15 minutes apply extra to my stubborn grey area (my temple). I buy the 'ash' shades to prevent brassiness in the coming weeks.

I use this method most often, but treat myself to a professional coloring 2x a year. I was extremely dissatified with the professional coloring last time, greys stated appearing within DAYS! A good amount of the root area was missed; I tried to get them to fix it they weren't too obliging. So back to Clairol's Nice 'n Easy Gray Solution I go....

Make Up Ma­iden1297518789.08508 PostsRegistered 7/22/2010
On 2/12/2011 Gloria said:

WOW! I cannot believe your hairdresser suggested one hour! I use NI, too (Roasted Chestnut) and the box clearly says "for stubborn gray hair" to leave on a maximum of 20 min. This is what I do and I get good gray coverage. Admittedly, some gray strands may be a bit lighter, but it looks like highlights, a little more dimensional. I would be afraid to leave it on any longer, for fear my hair would fall out or something! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I'm glad it works for you, though.

Gloria

Oh Gloria! I'm glad you posted this warning for people. It's a consideration, most definitely. Patch test might be a good idea before going this route, or asking one's hairdresser also. My hairdresser knows my hair, when she was recommending this, so maybe that's why she recommended an hour. I'll make sure to ask her before i move to the new Natural Instincts. Thanks!

♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

Caffeina1297520529.2631754 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I get good results with Garnier Nutrisse. I leave it on for 30 minutes.

hungarian41297521327.7531423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

Go back to sallys b eauty store and buy "grey magic"..it is in a 2" white box with black letters....it is a color additive for grey hair that you add to your color before applying to hair....WOW..what a great job it does on grey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wouldnt be without it.....best 5-6 dollars you ever spent...

noposting1297521898.8573577 PostsRegistered 11/18/2005
Garnier nustrisse produces the prettiest most natural colors but it doesn't cOver my stubborn gray hairs. Maybe I'll try leaving it on longer.

Shelbelle1297524583.32332888 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I highly recommend the Revlon Colorsilk.

Blondelle1297524901.054006 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

Sometimes when the color doesn't 'take' well and cover your grays it's not the hair color, but the product your hair might be coated with. I saw that for myself with the Healthy Look color. Had no coverage when I had a lot of product on my hair, and great coverage when I washed my hair the night before. I used the medium golden blonde and it covered the gray better than permanent color, which is supposed to be just the opposite as HL is a demi color.

StarChild1297528361.221830 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008NYC

I switch between Clairol's Nice 'n Easy Gray Solution and Naturtint - both do an excellent job of covering my gray. If there is some gray it's because I missed a spot so I'm curious about the new hair dye mousses due out soon.

Like Jack Benny, I'm 39 and holding ;)

Gloria1297532272.124222 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/12/2011 Gloria said:

Gloria

Oh Gloria! I'm glad you posted this warning for people. It's a consideration, most definitely. Patch test might be a good idea before going this route, or asking one's hairdresser also. My hairdresser knows my hair, when she was recommending this, so maybe that's why she recommended an hour. I'll make sure to ask her before i move to the new Natural Instincts. Thanks!

No prob! ;-) Actually, I would be worried about what it was doing to my scalp being on so long. NI does have some good natural ingredients, but there are still some chemicals.

Just wondering, you said you would talk to your hairdresser before using the "new" Natural Instincts. I am not familiar with this. Did they come up with something new and how is it different? I saw some different boxes in the store, but thought it was just new packaging. I will go over to check out their site.

Thanks!

Gloria

ibb381297547870.111381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/12/2011 hungarian4 said:

Go back to sallys b eauty store and buy "grey magic"..it is in a 2" white box with black letters....it is a color additive for grey hair that you add to your color before applying to hair....WOW..what a great job it does on grey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wouldnt be without it.....best 5-6 dollars you ever spent...

Grey Magic made my hair brassy & dry! I sooooo wanted it to work, after reading raves here. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

nelibli1297551061.274 PostsRegistered 8/7/2010
On 2/12/2011 ibb38 said:

Grey Magic made my hair brassy & dry! I sooooo wanted it to work, after reading raves here. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I have white hair not gray and I use Loreal Excellence. It covers and lasts till the roots grow out. The trick to looking natural is to go back and forth between the colors. Use a darker shade and then the next time go one or two shades lighter. This will automatically give you shading. Do all roots first and then pull through with your fingers. Esther

ibb381297560632.39711381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

That's a great idea Esther!

Brinklii1297560936.3310277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

L'Oreal Excellence is made to cover gray. Don't get L'Oreal Preference, because it is not designed for gray hair. Then make sure you use a shampoo and conditioner with no sulfates so that the color does not wash out. I just did my hair with Excellence the other day. I'm probably 30% gray, and it covered 100%. Nelibli made a good point. Do your roots first. I let it stay on my roots around 25 minutes, and then pour the remainder on the rest of my hair for about 15 minutes.

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Last edited on 2/12/2011

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Mama Deb1297561241.2772178 PostsRegistered 9/26/2006Central Mississippi

I agree wholeheartedly with Tabbychic, that's what I use and it works beautifully.

~Debi~

UMTerpFan1297621770.771570 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

I just recently tried AGEbeautiful sold at Sally Beauty and I like it but have only had it in my hair for two weeks and so far no fading but it may still be too soon to tell. A word of warning to anyone interested in trying this line, make sure you buy at least one shade lighter than your normal color because it does come out a lot darker. I usually use Medium Golden Brown and it came out very dark although I do like the color. This line is supposed to be specially made for older, aging hair. There is also a shampoo & conditioner but I haven't seen those at Sally Beauty, just the color.

Subject1297622367.5611269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 2/12/2011 nelibli said:
On 2/12/2011 ibb38 said:

I have white hair not gray and I use Loreal Excellence. It covers and lasts till the roots grow out. The trick to looking natural is to go back and forth between the colors. Use a darker shade and then the next time go one or two shades lighter. This will automatically give you shading. Do all roots first and then pull through with your fingers. Esther

Grey Magic DAMAGED MY HAIR!!! Do not use this! It fried my hair.

taylorjohn1304356959.2271 PostsRegistered 5/2/2011
On 2/13/2011 newport said:
On 2/12/2011 nelibli said:
On 2/12/2011 ibb38 said:

Grey Magic DAMAGED MY HAIR!!! Do not use this! It fried my hair.

I had a very bad experience with this product too. I put it in my color which was a blonde solution and it started to turn my hair carrot top red. I had to take it off before the color was finished processing. I am having a very hard to finding any product that will cover my grey. I have tried EVERY product and the only products that seem to work are the colors that are darker than the color I like which is very blonde. I am getting frustrated and very close to just going grey. Any suggestions????

manny21304358414.7531770 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

Clairol grey busters, works perfect. Remember to always do the roots first, I do mine the first ten minutes, apply to the rest of hair the last ten minutes. Your roots, usually the stubborn greys will get the full 20 minutes process time and the ends that grab color much faster will get less. Don't be afraid to mix colors, I use three quarters light brown and one quarter medium brown in the neutral base so no brassiness. My color is a perfect medium brown not to light or dark.

Dharma_Ini­tiative1304362528.343974 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

I've been coloring my own hair for years and do a better job than my stylist. That's why I started doing it myself. I have a lot of gray but my color stays in and the only place my gray shows is in the new growth. My hair grows so fast I need to color once a month to cover that new growth. I use Wella Color Charms from Sally's (same thing my stylist uses in her shop). I do the roots and leave in for about 20-25 min, then run it through and leave it on about 15 more. Sometimes it's about an hour total. My stylist couldn't believe I left it on that long when I told her but every time she cuts my hair she comments that it's the healthiest, thickest hair she cuts so it's not getting damaged. I do have itchy scalp though so it may be getting irritated (I use SLS-free shampoo and cond).

I use Gray Magic from Sally's but never thought it did much for me. I still cannot seem to get the gray at my temples and "sideburn" areas 100% covered, even using it and leaving the color on so long. That's why I leave it on so long.

lobstergal1304374447.0473740 PostsRegistered 12/3/2010
On 2/12/2011 Shelbelle said:

I highly recommend the Revlon Colorsilk.

I've been using Revlon Colorsilk for almost a year after reading tons of reviews on several beauty boards. I leave it on between 10-15 mins longer than the recommended time. It covers the gray & looks beautiful & natural every time. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

When the mindset of the hearer is set by anger or bitterness, everything that is said will be perceived as negative, regardless of intentions of the heart.
Ignorance is NOT an excuse...you can't plead stupid.

barbados1304374544.0114405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007

Color Silk is the best. 2.97 at Walmart and it lasts for months on me. Leave it on for the time recommended. It colors just fine.

snappyfrap­py1304374842.523456 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010

L'Oreal Excellence....the 10 minute formula. Been using it for a very long time. Works well each time, and I use WEN, which keeps the color from fading.

Page 1 of 2