Better Than Black Friday
90 Members and 16332 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How Long to Recover from Restylane Injections in Tear Troughs?

Started 1296944508.223 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1297013114.11 by jujube

Hi ladies,

I'm thinking of having this done for some very dark circles under my eyes. I know there are beauties here who have already had this done with great success. Can anyone share their recovery stories - how long did it take for swelling to go down, did it look good immediately, how long before it has to be repeated, etc?

Thanks,

iachick

Page 1 of 1
gardensla1296945291.47319741 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

Funny you should ask. I had this exact treatment done on Tuesday, 1/25 by a plastic surgeon. The next day I woke up with very puffy pads under my eyes and hard lumps of restylane gel that I could feel with my fingers. I knew to expect some puffy swelling because Restylane attracts fluid but I mean I was really puffy eyed. Next day, all that still persisted and was joined by a yellowish bruise under one eye. And so it went all week. Panic, who me?

Went to bed on Sunday, woke up Monday and all the bad news was history. The bruise was gone, the puffy pads were gone and the gel lump was gone. In the week that followed it got even better as the stuff seemed to just settle in and become part of my face rather than something under my skin. I look fresh and well-rested (botox helps so consider that too at same time).

As for how long it lasts, I had this once before (but less filler I think because no down time effects at all) and I got a good 8-9 months. The Dr. advised not waiting until you need a refill but to keep it up with smaller amounts periodically.

Choose a dr wisely and do not settle for a dermatologist if you help it. Going to a plastic surgeon was so much better for me (I went to a derm last time and while he knows skin he does not know structure!) and if you do end up at a derm, insist he do the work and not some random staff nurse. Be firm about what you want.

Expect them to recommend one dose if just the eyes and two doses if you are having lips and naso-labial lines too. And demand that your entire face is covered with a thick coating of numbing cream--mine was and I felt absolutely nothing.

I think you will be happy you did this. I am.

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

iachick1296945734.6873103 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

Thanks, gardensla! I actually had a consult with an ophthamologist (M.D.) in town that also does cosmetic eye procedures so I feel pretty confident he knows what he's doing.

I'm having it done this Friday and hope to be able to go out in public by Monday when I have to return to work.

iachick

Knitgirly1296947138.671752 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

Very best to you iachick! And thanks to gardensla for sharing her experience. I also have an appointment for later this month. My eyes really look bad... I am not getting my hopes up too much, but am excited for any improvement at all. Iachick, there are other posts about fillers, search Beauty Banter for "filler" or "Restylane"...

Please let me know how it all goes! Thoughts and wishes for an excellent outcome! KG~

Last edited on 2/5/2011

Last edited on 2/5/2011

Fifi11296947380.1474767 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005

Haven't had that done, but about 5 days seems the norm.

I find Botox lightly around my eyes helps a great deal with my circles!!! :) Doesn't hurt much either!

Sister Swe­ets1296951515.16469 PostsRegistered 11/6/2010

I didn't know botox helped with circles around the eyes. What is the improvement that you notice? I knew it helps with crows feet and the lines on the forehead.

iachick1296997275.2473103 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

Thanks, everyone. I will post again after I have this done.

I have had Botox for crows feet but didn't find it did anything for me for the dark circles (hollows). My DH thinks I'm crazy for having this done but I would love to have a "refreshed" look without looking like I'm worn out all the time.

gardensla1296998859.13319741 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 2/6/2011 msbogwan said:

Thanks, everyone. I will post again after I have this done.

I have had Botox for crows feet but didn't find it did anything for me for the dark circles (hollows). My DH thinks I'm crazy for having this done but I would love to have a "refreshed" look without looking like I'm worn out all the time.

Botox won't help the hollows specifically, but using it on the crows feet will help with the refreshed look. The Dr. explained it to me--as we age, the muscles around our eyes begin to tighten which in turn pulls down the entire eye area. By bringing the corners of the eyes back up you don't look so tired. Match that with filler in the hollows and you get a very even tone and rested look. If you can swing it, do both.

Be flattered that you husband thinks you are fine as you are--but do it for yourself!

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

jujube1297005442.062699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

you need to be very very careful about your undereye area, i have had nitemare experiences with that area. Read up on realself.com about restylane undereye pros and cons. Make sure you go to a doctor that has experience with undereye injections, it is a very sensitive difficult areas that many experienced doctors wont even touch. You can expect at least a week of downtime, and then weeks till it settles in and looks normal. You may have alot of darkness or a blue tint under the eye and you will see the injection sites for many weeks. make sure you get alot of great concealer. I had two black eyes once and it was a top doctor doing it in nyc. it settled in and looked good eventually but know what you are getting into. I had better luck with great cosmetic derms than plastic surgeons here in nyc.....the surgeons are quick to want to cut and alot of them have very little experience with injectibles......the derms are also more conservative which trust me, u want......

Love me, love my cats:)

Skylands1297009799.046538 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010
On 2/5/2011 gardensla said:

Funny you should ask. I had this exact treatment done on Tuesday, 1/25 by a plastic surgeon. The next day I woke up with very puffy pads under my eyes and hard lumps of restylane gel that I could feel with my fingers. I knew to expect some puffy swelling because Restylane attracts fluid but I mean I was really puffy eyed. Next day, all that still persisted and was joined by a yellowish bruise under one eye. And so it went all week. Panic, who me?

Went to bed on Sunday, woke up Monday and all the bad news was history. The bruise was gone, the puffy pads were gone and the gel lump was gone. In the week that followed it got even better as the stuff seemed to just settle in and become part of my face rather than something under my skin. I look fresh and well-rested (botox helps so consider that too at same time).

As for how long it lasts, I had this once before (but less filler I think because no down time effects at all) and I got a good 8-9 months. The Dr. advised not waiting until you need a refill but to keep it up with smaller amounts periodically.

Choose a dr wisely and do not settle for a dermatologist if you help it. Going to a plastic surgeon was so much better for me (I went to a derm last time and while he knows skin he does not know structure!) and if you do end up at a derm, insist he do the work and not some random staff nurse. Be firm about what you want.

Expect them to recommend one dose if just the eyes and two doses if you are having lips and naso-labial lines too. And demand that your entire face is covered with a thick coating of numbing cream--mine was and I felt absolutely nothing.

I think you will be happy you did this. I am.

Do not settle for a dermatologist? Seriously? My derm is the best at injectables and has a reputation in the derm world to attest. Plastic or derm, look for board certified and experience with injectables. Ask an MD you like and respect for a recommendation. There are many avenues to research for getting this type of info.

No recovery time for my injections. Swelling, I don't think so.

jujube1297010088.3972699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

i have to agree with skylands, in NYC the injectible "masters" are all derms. The derms are all trained in cosmetic procedures now. I had a very reputable PS ruin my face, i thought she would have more knowledge as far as aesthetics and bone structure, boy was i ever wrong. Everyones idea of beauty is different, so you really need to know your face and what you want to achieve and where you want the filler. Show the dr. where you want it or bring in pics of what u used to look like so they can see what you used to look like and where the natural volume of your face should be. its like going to a hairdresser, you tell them exactly what you want, do NOT trust the doctor to make these decisions for u. they dont know what is best for you.

Last edited on 2/6/2011

Last edited on 2/6/2011

SuzyBailey1297011615.9475350 PostsRegistered 6/17/2007NEW YORK, NEW YORK

i get my fillers and botox from a plastic surgeon who i have known for years,however, i must say that my dermatologist is an expert when it comes to injecting properly. he always fills me in when i go see him. the ps doesn't charge me but the derm does so that's mostly why i go to the plastic surgeon. lol. the derm did my upper lip last april and it still looks great!!!!!!

i think a derm simply has a better knowledge of the dermis and that's why the fillers look so good when injected by one.

i hope this makes sense since i seem to be rambling. sorry.

"This Ain't Tennessee, and He Ain't You". Janie Fricke

gardensla1297012183.27719741 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 2/6/2011 SuzyKoubti said:

i get my fillers and botox from a plastic surgeon who i have known for years,however, i must say that my dermatologist is an expert when it comes to injecting properly. he always fills me in when i go see him. the ps doesn't charge me but the derm does so that's mostly why i go to the plastic surgeon. lol. the derm did my upper lip last april and it still looks great!!!!!!

i think a derm simply has a better knowledge of the dermis and that's why the fillers look so good when injected by one.

i hope this makes sense since i seem to be rambling. sorry.

I think we have pretty much confused the OP with our opinions by now, but I have to say that the PS I went to did a much better job than the Derm--might have just been plain old good luck!

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

jujube1297013114.112699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

suzy, can u tell me the name of the derm u see in nyc?

Page 1 of 1