TSV(R) Preview
62 Members and 11413 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

BIOSIL ( collagen) for hair loss?

Started 1296756582.097 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1297829725.22 by firestripes

I have been using this 2 weeks, taste horrible and so far have seen no results. Has anyone tried this??

Page 1 of 2
PBJ1296758655.9476821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

I have this also. I haven't used it enough to see a difference. The taste is horrendous. Lots of rave reviews but not sure I can get past the taste to see the benefits.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firestripes1296758869.243979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

I use it twice a day and yes it taste terrible!

PBJ1296759049.4736821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

I should really give this a shot since its paid for but blech!{#emotions_dlg.sad} How can one drop of something be so strong?!

firestripes1296759521.463979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

How long have you been using this?

PBJ1296759789.8476821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

I used it probably 3 months straight and didn't see any noticeable improvement. I still have a full unopened bottle. I've tried it in OJ, water and still terrible. Finally I just slamming down a few drops straight-full strength. It was like a scene from Fear Factor trying to keep it down and not gag.

Zaksgrrl1296760027.359844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 2/3/2011 PBJ said:

I used it probably 3 months straight and didn't see any noticeable improvement. I still have a full unopened bottle. I've tried it in OJ, water and still terrible. Finally I just slamming down a few drops straight-full strength. It was like a scene from Fear Factor trying to keep it down and not gag.

That's a funny picture! {#emotions_dlg.blink} What is this stuff?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

PBJ1296761203.666821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

Its liquid Silica drops. Supposed to strengthen nails, hair, bones and joints. Good reviews on VitaCost. But-the taste. Hard to describe but the smell of fish or the taste of some type of liquid, metallic fish comes to mindSmile.

Becca331296771965.3131017 PostsRegistered 9/19/2008Denver CO

Your best bet is lemonade!

firestripes1296777554.843979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

I hate taking things that don't work. I read reviews before I buy and they were very good - why doesn't anything work for my hair?

firestripes1296794162.203979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006
Bump

firestripes1296834043.993979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Shaunac1297367327.1833032 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

Firestripes,

I replied to your other post regarding hair loss and L-something or another. I have been taking Biosil for 8 months and definitely see a difference. You need to give it at least 6 months or more to see if it will work for you. See my response to your other post. Don't give up, it works! And yes, it's gross, but I put it in an 8 or 12 ounce glass of o.j. and I don't even taste it.

Shauna

nunu4u1297368672.0038686 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

I have been using Neocell Super Collagen for two years now, plus talked a bunch of friends into it. Even though it works great, and doesn't taste bad, you would have to give it longer than two weeks. One friend had to cut down her usage to a few times a week because her hair was growing so fast, it was costing her more to keep it trimmed. About a year ago I slammed a finger in the door and the nail had a black spot at the base. It was totally grown out in two and half months...looking on the internet, this is a phenomenal rate of growth. Of course, bones are also benefited.

csv3201297368983.176724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

Be careful if you have had kidney stones, silica is bad for you if you have a history of kidney stones.

EmperorMing1297369241.4237 PostsRegistered 2/8/2007Illinois
On 2/10/2011 nunu4u said:

I have been using Neocell Super Collagen for two years now, plus talked a bunch of friends into it. Even though it works great, and doesn't taste bad, you would have to give it longer than two weeks. One friend had to cut down her usage to a few times a week because her hair was growing so fast, it was costing her more to keep it trimmed. About a year ago I slammed a finger in the door and the nail had a black spot at the base. It was totally grown out in two and half months...looking on the internet, this is a phenomenal rate of growth. Of course, bones are also benefited.

Do you take the pill or powder? Is this stuff really that good? I have thinning hair and would make a deal with the devil if I thought it would help (well, may be).

nunu4u1297369832.268686 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

I have used both but use the pills now because it has the vitamin C already in it. I think Costco has a deal on the pill form right now, a huge bottle for $15.

You can look at 324 reviews here, so you know its not just me. Thinning hair can be caused my many things, but for the price this is worth a shot. It can also help with sleep and moisture retention in the skin.

http://www.iherb.com/Neocell-Super-Collagen-Type-1-3-Powder-7-oz-198-g/6074?at=0

SilentDance1297373507.4214818 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!

Hi nunu,

It's funny you should mention the Neocell because I read this thread and thought this biosil must have amino acids in it and thought I would recommend the Neocell collagen. When I checked ingredients for Neocell I saw there is no silica in it and figured I wouldn't recommend it since many of the experts recommend silica for hair and nails. If I remember correctly Silica should be taken with something else but I can't remember what. If I get a chance I will look it up and see if I can find it.

As far as the Neocell I did not have any of the good results found in reviews. I would have continued using it because it was inexpensive and didn't think it was hurting me in anyway but I believed it increased my appetite so I stopped it.

I had better results with Phytophanere but it's too expensive so I stopped it. Lessman's supplements did nothing for me. I now use Hair Revive and though the price did go up a bit at iherb I purchase it at amazon. I get great results for hair and nails and I do see a difference when I stop taking it. A poster here on the board recommended it a while back.

:)

csv3201297484171.586724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007
On 2/10/2011 SilentDance said:

Hi nunu,

It's funny you should mention the Neocell because I read this thread and thought this biosil must have amino acids in it and thought I would recommend the Neocell collagen. When I checked ingredients for Neocell I saw there is no silica in it and figured I wouldn't recommend it since many of the experts recommend silica for hair and nails. If I remember correctly Silica should be taken with something else but I can't remember what. If I get a chance I will look it up and see if I can find it.

As far as the Neocell I did not have any of the good results found in reviews. I would have continued using it because it was inexpensive and didn't think it was hurting me in anyway but I believed it increased my appetite so I stopped it.

I had better results with Phytophanere but it's too expensive so I stopped it. Lessman's supplements did nothing for me. I now use Hair Revive and though the price did go up a bit at iherb I purchase it at amazon. I get great results for hair and nails and I do see a difference when I stop taking it. A poster here on the board recommended it a while back.

If it's not too much trouble, can you list the ingredients on Hair Revive? I'm on high blood pressure med and have to be very careful with what I take, especially anything herbal. Thanks. I googled it, but couldn't find the ingredients listed.

firestripes1297484511979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006
Hi everyone!

SilentDance1297507162.45314818 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!
On 2/11/2011 mj198 said:

Hi nunu,

If it's not too much trouble, can you list the ingredients on Hair Revive? I'm on high blood pressure med and have to be very careful with what I take, especially anything herbal. Thanks. I googled it, but couldn't find the ingredients listed.

Here is a link to the supplement ingredients:

http://www.vitacost.com/RidgeCrest-Herbals-Hair-ReVive-trade/?csrc=PPCADWLT-hair_revive&mtp=sRsA5LWmN|pcrid|6784062371&refcd=GO000000111092231s_Hair_ReVive&tsacr=GO6784062371#IngredientFacts

I just wanted to add that Costco now carries Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nail supplements-250 count for $12.99. They must have run out and I didn't see the actual product only the sign for advertisement. Some may want to compare the ingredient list to what they are taking now because this appears to me to be a very good price.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp17613/natures_bounty/skin_hair_and_nails_tablets.htm

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Last edited on 2/12/2011

SilentDance1297519745.6114818 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!

I just wanted to add a few of my thoughts on hair thinning and hair loss:

1) I think many times supplements will be helpful in hair growth and not new hair.

2) Thyroid tests must be done at least 3 times (different times) to get an actual dx. It's like blood pressure, a phys won't take your blood pressure once and determine if you have a problem.

3) Even low normal levels of Iron can have an effect on hair.

4) You'll see Biotin recommendations, remember it does not work topically so save your money. It's rare to be deficient in Biotin unless some extreme dieting or medical problem is going on so mega doses (though excreted through urination) are usually not necessary and a money waste. If you eat right, you like everyone else in the world probably has sufficient amounts of biotin in your body.

5) Stress is probably the number one reason in women for hair loss (aside from the normal aging process). Though you may not think you are stressed, internal stress is hard to pinpoint.

6) Extreme dieting and not taking in enough fats will cause hair loss too.

7) Sometimes these things have a way of reversing. The body is amazing - sometimes problems have a way of correcting themselves. This is not to put light on any problems and the need to visit a dr due to a problem - but the body does learn to adjust--so in other words thinning may be higher at some times more than other.

8) Levels of testerone in men cause balding and in women too, so I believe that when there are spikes in testerone in women this can lead to thinning and loss-This is just my opinion from the research I did, but you can read up on it too.

These are all things I found out through a lot of reading on the internet. If I think of anything else I'll post. Hair loss for men and women can be very disturbing and definitely upset the emotional balance. I think stressing out over it and obsessing about it also makes it worse.

csv3201297523391.3176724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007
On 2/12/2011 SilentDance said:
On 2/11/2011 mj198 said:

Hi nunu,

http://www.vitacost.com/RidgeCrest-Herbals-Hair-ReVive-trade/?csrc=PPCADWLT-hair_revive&mtp=sRsA5LWmN|pcrid|6784062371&refcd=GO000000111092231s_Hair_ReVive&tsacr=GO6784062371#IngredientFacts

I just wanted to add that Costco now carries Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nail supplements-250 count for $12.99. They must have run out and I didn't see the actual product only the sign for advertisement. Some may want to compare the ingredient list to what they are taking now because this appears to me to be a very good price.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp17613/natures_bounty/skin_hair_and_nails_tablets.htm

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Thanks for posting the ingredients list.

I'm afraid of all this herbal stuff, because I'm on blood pressure rx.

Hair Growth Complex br>n-acetyl-cysteine, horsetail herb, stinging nettle leaf, bamboo stem and leaf (total silica >25mg). 1340 mg *
Hormone Balancing Complex
phytosterol complex (includes beta sitosterol), kelp, l-tyrosine.
430 mg *
Chinese Herbal Complex
Fo-ti root, notopterygium root, rehmannia prepared root, rehmannia raw root, eclipta herb, ligustrum fruit, chinese peony root peeled, chinese peony root, dong quai root, sichuan lovage root, tree peony root

SilentDance1297527501.04714818 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!
On 2/12/2011 mj198 said:
On 2/12/2011 SilentDance said:
On 2/11/2011 mj198 said:

Hi nunu,

Last edited on 2/12/2011

Thanks for posting the ingredients list.

I'm afraid of all this herbal stuff, because I'm on blood pressure rx.

Hair Growth Complex br>n-acetyl-cysteine, horsetail herb, stinging nettle leaf, bamboo stem and leaf (total silica >25mg). 1340 mg *
Hormone Balancing Complex
phytosterol complex (includes beta sitosterol), kelp, l-tyrosine.
430 mg *
Chinese Herbal Complex
Fo-ti root, notopterygium root, rehmannia prepared root, rehmannia raw root, eclipta herb, ligustrum fruit, chinese peony root peeled, chinese peony root, dong quai root, sichuan lovage root, tree peony root

That's good that you pay attention to that since many people think supplements are harmless when in fact thay may not be esp. chinese herbs. JMO!

SilentDance1297527615.85314818 PostsRegistered 10/20/2008Location, location, location!

Another thing I remembered that hair dyes have PPD and they have been known to close up the hair follicles. Remember the darker the shade the more PPD present and I imagine after long term use this is a possibility.

I also remember (but don't want to be quoted) that boxed dyes are higher in PPDs too.

firestripes1297530199.577979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

Thanks for all the helpful tips.

I hope to keep the hair I have left. Stress is the reason I first started to lose hair ( my dad passed away 9 years ago)

Page 1 of 2