Meant for Mom
84 Members and 15794 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

CHI Smart Titanium Ceramic Digital Hairstyling Iron

Started 1296222740.463 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1296488927.183 by akasha1

I ordered this on Beauty Day and received it yesterday. I have fine, slightly wavy hair that gets frizzy and thought this would be perfect to smooth out the frizz.

But it doesn't work as promised - I need several passes to smooth my hair and it doesn't completely straighten the hair. The problem may be that the plates don't meet on one end. If anyone else purchased this, can you tell me if the plates close evenly?

Also, I found it odd that there were no directions supplied, other than the standard danger warnings and how to handle a warranty repair. Some styling tips and what temperature to use for my hair would have been appreciated, especially for what this item cost.

Page 1 of 1
feebeepapp­as1296223153.803866 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006over the hills and far away....

I just got mine yesterday. Haven't really used it yet. I did not look at the booklet sent with it yet. I had a bunch of hairspray in my hair from the morning, so it felt weird when I tried it. At first I was thinking because of the plates not being coated like most flat irons. I also bought the CHI dryer.

I have seen hair on others that looked sooooo pretty and smooth. I asked them about theri hair and they said they use CHI flat iron, the black one. One said uses no product on her hair!! BUT, she was a teenager and perfect and had perfect hair! the lucky child.

~~ "I'll have cafe mocha vodka valium latte to go, please!" ( make mine a tall skinny double shot!) ~~

akasha11296223303.6484 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006

Feebeepappas, thanks for your response. I remember the presenter saying that he didn't put any products on the models' hair. It would be great not to have to use product!

Did you happen to notice if the plates on your iron meet? That is the biggest concern I have, that something is wrong with the iron and I should try to exchange it.

Last edited on 1/28/2011

Last edited on 1/28/2011

feebeepapp­as1296223609.207866 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006over the hills and far away....

I just went to check... mine only meet at the very tip... hmmmm..... I put my old one away, a sedu. I'll go get that one and see how the plates meet.

Ok... the sedu is the same. If I squeeze it down, they meet. Same with this new CHI.

Last edited on 1/28/2011

Last edited on 1/28/2011

~~ "I'll have cafe mocha vodka valium latte to go, please!" ( make mine a tall skinny double shot!) ~~

akasha11296224208.8384 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006

I think something is wrong with mine. If I squeeze really hard, the plates do meet, but I don't think I should have to squeeze that hard on my hair.

Thanks again for checking and I hope your new CHI works great for you!

feebeepapp­as1296225595.91866 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006over the hills and far away....

I hope it does too...

I have to squeeze it to get the plates to meet and the same with my other one.

hopi1296226646.86710695 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006

Got mine yesterday and really liked it, I had to press the plates where the digital temp was showing because holding the iron any further back would change the temp or turn it of. If you went further back it was almost impossible to clamp shut. Because my hair just touches my shoulders, that was very workable for me. I only had to put it on 215 degrees for it to work, not a high or damaging heat at all.

akasha11296230061.95784 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006

Hopi, thanks for the tip. I really don't want to send this back and I see it's waitlisted now so they won't be able to send me a replacement. I'm going to try pressing it closed the way you mentioned and see if I get better results.

villion41296253337.971 PostsRegistered 1/28/2011

Hello all...

I just got my iron today. I used it and LOVE it! I have an original black CHI that is five years ago...and this one is sooo much more user friendly! The original was bulky and I kept burning myself when I tried to use it as a curling iron. The new one has more tension when squeezing it which makes it easier to use. Mine does not touch plates completely either. I do not think that it should. If it did, the heat would be too much and would fry the hair, is my thinking. Nothing straigtens hair the first pass....make sure you have a small amount of hair in each section. 2-3 passes is my average and I have very thick long hair. I am definately keeping this iron!

winamac11296258366.29328988 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana
On 1/28/2011 feebeepappas said:

I just went to check... mine only meet at the very tip... hmmmm..... I put my old one away, a sedu. I'll go get that one and see how the plates meet.

Ok... the sedu is the same. If I squeeze it down, they meet. Same with this new CHI.

Last edited on 1/28/2011

love my Sedu!

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

akasha11296488927.16784 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to reply.

I had a haircut appointment on Saturday and took the CHI iron with me so I could get my stylist's opinion.

She said it was the only iron she's ever used that didn't make steam come off the hair, so I guess that's a good thing. She agreed that it didn't straighten the hair in one pass as they said during the demo, but she felt it was a good deal for what I paid.

I tried my old Jilbere ceramic iron this morning and there's no comparison - my hair glides through the CHI better and straightens more quickly. So it looks like I'm keeping it. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Now I'm waiting for some humid weather so I can see if my hair really holds up to the humidity like they said.

Page 1 of 1