Give Gorgeous
105 Members and 11944 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Tween Makeup at Walmart

Started 1296134332.89 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1296139233.893 by cherry
replies

This new line is to replace Mary Kate & Ashley's line that is no more.

How young is "too young" for wearing makeup? I'm not talking "playing in Mommy's makeup", but actually applying it to wear like a woman does.

Walmart to Launch Tween Targeted Beauty Line

Posted on January 14, 2011 @ 08:30 am

Walmart is planning to launch a new beauty brand that is directly targeted to tweens, a demographic with an estimated 2 billion dollars buying power. Walmart's new brand called GeoGirl will debut in February and will be replacing the Mary-Kate and Ashley cosmetics range.

The skin care and makeup products from the brand are designed to be eco friendly as the brand aims encouraging a responsible attitude towards environmental problems.

“GeoGirl is about teaching this generation about beauty care in a responsible way. This [line] is a great learning experience for us to determine how to communicate with this generation," says Carmen Bauza, Wamart Stores Inc.’s vice president and divisional merchandise manager of beauty and personal care.

The GeoGirl brand, owned by Pacific World may eventually become a lifestyle brand granted it will fulfill the sales projection made. “These are real cosmetics with natural ingredients that will create return purchases and create a true beauty consumer," adds Joel Carden, executive vice president, marketing and sales for Pacific World.

The cosmetics have formulas which are well suited for a youthful, delicate skin. Natural ingredient chamomile, lavender,white willow bark and calendula as well as pomegranate and green tea extracts are just some of the ingredients contained in the products. In addition, the products will be paraben, phthalates and sulfate frees and synthetic colors and fragrances will be avoided to discourage skin allergies. All the 69 items from the brand are dermatologically tested. And to further promote a green attitude, the packaging will also be recyclable

Page 1 of 1
Peaches Mc­Phee1296134867.9731666 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Notice they are all about a "green attitude", yet they don't say anything about not testing on animals. I guess animals are not green enough.

As far as age is concerned, I think age 14 or 15 is early enough for makeup. I hate seeing 10 and 11 year olds tarted up -- because that is exactly what it looks like. But it is the parents' decision, not mine.

Pro-aging.

JesusRocks1296137421.73261 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009

Interesting. I am letting my 14 year old teenage daughter use some of the brands I do. She is using Laura Gellers balance n brighten for her foundation because it is light and she has acne. I'm 50 and still using that, so I hope to keep her from liquid foundations this way. She's using some pots of concealer I already owned, Lauren Hutton. I give her liners and eyeshadows from the kits I get that she likes (LG, Tarte, etc). That way it costs me nothing since I'm getting it anyway, and she's getting used to quality products to continue as she ages.

As for the age to start make up, I think it depends on the girl and her environment. I'm in the south where beauty pageants are the rage, so girls tend to wear a lot of make up. My daughter doesn't, but that's what's all around her. I let her start with mascara in 6th grade, eyeshadow and blush in 7th grade, then light powder foundation and plucking eyebrows in 8th grade. She occassionally puts on an eye liner, but really doesn't like to wear a lot--which is quite ok with me! A lot of days she goes to school with nothing.

Sadie Darl­ing1296138120.883321 PostsRegistered 1/24/2011Los Angeles

I'm not a mother (yet!) but I would tell my girl to stay away from face MU as long as you can! There's only so long you'll be able to get away with it {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Of course, if she were self conscious about a birthmark or acne I would set her up with a good line of skin care and wouldn't mind at all if she used a little cover up to put her mind at ease. I believe I was fourteen or fifteen when I started with a full face-- and goodness I wish I waited longer!

<3 Sadie

MISERABLE661296139011.8434834 PostsRegistered 12/7/2010Noo Yawk

14 is a fair age.

"Being miserable and treating people like dirt, is every New Yorkers god given right." - The mayor from Ghostbusters 2

Zoologist1296139102.5336013 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

With the Toddlers 'n Tiaras, etc., perhaps there won't even be a time when these young girls are without makeup.

Just sayin'.

cherry1296139233.89316348 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005

I have an idea this is going to be targeted at those even younger than tweens..I wouldn't at all be surprised to see girls of 6 or 7 using it{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Page 1 of 1