Fall Fashion Clearance
137 Members and 17144 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Should I get a WAVE/BODY perm? Please....I need input :)

Started 1295974443.33 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1296003766.55 by Sandgirl

So, I would REALLY like some feedback so I have more to think about before I dive into a Wave perm.

Some history – I have ALWAYS had perms in the past – Up till 3 years ago – My hair is past my bra line and I CURL it EVERY SINGLE DAY – I do not look good with straight hair!! In the past I always got pretty curly perms and that is SO NOT NOT what I want now.

I am looking at getting just a BODY/WAVY perm – BUT (here’s why I am so scared) I asked for this EXACT same thing 3 years ago and not only did I get super curly hair but the gal that did it burned my scalp and I ended up with thinner hair on my crown due to it and I have always had nothing but FULL FULL hair so I was devastated!! So now my hair is healthy again but straight and I take 45-60 min. a day just styling it so I am THINKINGN about trying this again – maybe taking in some pics of w hat I want and such.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON PERMS – Are they more gentle now than they use to be? Do you get them?

I just need more opinions so I make sure I am more informed!

Thank you in advance J

Page 1 of 1
katz11295974690.4573897 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009

It may be that you need a better stylist with more experience with this stuff. I can't help you much past that as I have very naturally curly hair. I have fought that my whole life. We are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I get very tired of hearing people tell me

"Do you know what I pay to have my hair like yours?" UGH, but the difference is they have a choice.

Sorry, don't know what this has to do with your questions. Got my blab on today I think.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

rnmomma1295974776.337671 PostsRegistered 12/31/2009Northeast OHIO

Don't do it. I am not sure what perms are like now a days. Any chemical you introduce to your hair could cause damage.

Is your hair stick straight? Work with the waves you may have. Love hot rollers or the huge velcro rollers with some volumizer spray.

Sandgirl1295975194.047168 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 1/25/2011 rnmomma said:

Don't do it. I am not sure what perms are like now a days. Any chemical you introduce to your hair could cause damage.

Is your hair stick straight? Work with the waves you may have. Love hot rollers or the huge velcro rollers with some volumizer spray.

SUPER STRAIGHT - when I had a perm I could scrunch for body - or even with a "old" perm but now even scrunching with 4 diff scrunching products brings me nothing, my hair is super straight. When I curl it I have to spray and curl for it to hold. I use a lot of volume products.

I get a lot of compliments on my hair but it doesn't come easy, I would love to just spend less than 30min on my hair. I know ....I know....CUT IT......but frankly I like having longer hair, just need to find something to cut down on the style time.

Behappy1295975722.46297 PostsRegistered 7/17/2010Where the Sun rises in Southern Delaware

Don't Do it From Another with hair similar to Yours.

YIKES>>>>>>>No{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Try this, it works for Me very well....After I wash my hair(this may be hard to describe without pictures, lol) I take it(my Hair) and hold it like I am going to put in a High Pony tail, then wrap it arond and around onto itself until it is in a Bun, Secure with a Hair clip and Let it stay that way over night. Will be very curly and hold for a Long time.

You can also do this when Your hair is Dry..just not as effective for long results.

Good Luck and Avoid the Perm, You may regret it if You do it again.

Take care,

Suzanne in Delaware, by the Atlantic :-)

One day at a time. It Is possible for those that Want it.

BESwede1295975907.8976218 PostsRegistered 6/4/2007Colorado

I permed my very straight, fine hair for years but stopped doing it several years ago after my stylist let me know it was damaging my hair. I changed my style slightly but still like curly or at least wavy hair and achieve it with a curling iron, hot rollers, or spiral curling iron, which takes about 15 minutes to do. To help prevent damage and to add shine and body I use Kenra Thermal Styling Spray as I style and as a finishing spray. I also cut my hair to a more reasonable length, just below my shoulders. It's still "long" hair but more manageable and I can do a variety of styles- curly, wavy, sleek and straight, side swept bangs, and pulled up in a bun or ponytail. I've also found fun ways to use headbands, a ribbon, clips, barrettes, etc. I'd suggest you might also want to go shorter, but not truly short and try some variety in your styling so you can avoid damaging your hair with a perm. :)

47, very fair, blonde, green eyes, cool "summer' coloring. Combination/sensitive skin. Vegetarian

Sandgirl1295976083.2637168 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 1/25/2011 Behappy said:

Try this, it works for Me very well....After I wash my hair(this may be hard to describe without pictures, lol) I take it(my Hair) and hold it like I am going to put in a High Pony tail, then wrap it arond and around onto itself until it is in a Bun, Secure with a Hair clip and Let it stay that way over night. Will be very curly and hold for a Long time.

You can also do this when Your hair is Dry..just not as effective for long results.

Take care,

Suzanne - I will give this a try!! I haven't booked an appt. yet so I have plenty of time to play, this is why I wanted to ask you girls on the board!! thank you so much for sharing!

Sandgirl1295976147.2777168 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Oh....by the way - I do use a thermal spray everyday!! HOT OFF THE PRESS by Paul Mitchel, best I have ever used!

Buck-i-Nana1295976302.97594 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 1/25/2011 Behappy said:

Take care,

When my hair was long, I used to do something similar. Instead of wrapping in a bun though, I put about 6 velcro rollers in it, looked kind of like a prom up-do! Lots of body from being held swept up, and the amount of curl changed depending on the size of the rollers I used. Since the rollers were on top of my head, no issues about sleeping on them.

I used to give in and try a perm about once every ten years, falling for the claim that they've "changed", only to be disappointed every time.

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

imxpnsive1295976326.2671026 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

Gosh, NO.....I know someone who is a regular "perm" girl......what a dry, mess.....has to keep cutting it to get the damage off.....then right back to a "perm"......and is a slave to the curling iron.....what is the point. I remember my Mother giving me a "perm" when I was about 8/9 years old.....what a nightmare!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared} Keep your hair "permless", it sounds lovely.....

Last edited on 1/25/2011

Last edited on 1/25/2011

Last edited on 1/25/2011

57babe1295976944.3878638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

Perming breaks down your hair. If you have a short haircut and you are not color processing your hair, a perm can work nicely to add body. But if you are intending to wear your hair long, you will only be able to perm it once. That will break down your hair. Then you will have to reperm the regrowth and this is where you get into the problem of dry overprocessed hair. You cannot reperm long hair over and over and have healthy hair. So, unless you are going to cut your hair often and never highlight or color it, I wouldn't suggest perming your hair.

As an alternative, you can wear your natural hair a little shorter, put some highlights or color in it for a little more body if you need it, and then find some rollers that you can use for a quick natural looking wave. I use a large hot rolller, and I put them in for just a few seconds and it makes my hair wavy and beautiful. You actually can do more with your hair without the perm.

Sandgirl1295983033.3177168 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Thanks for all the GREAT advise. I am printing out a few options.

Thanks to all of you that have responded so far :)

rebel1295994619.2835444 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

sandgirl,

let us know ultimately what you decide to do!

it's not fun being a slave to our hair but what's a gal to do? LOL

as i have gotten older, i have even more wave in my hair and i just go with it so i know what it's like to spend a lot of time on your hair and i know what it's like to be more wash and go now.....

good luck

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Love2RV1295995789.02366 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Sandgirl, I use to get perms all the time. I haven't gotten a perm in 2 years. Since getting older my hair does not take perms very good, like they did when I was younger. After getting a perm 2 years ago I quit. My hair was dry from it and started to fall out. I found a new girl to do my hair and she helped me get it under control. I went every six weeks to get it trimmed, too get the old perm out. My hair has gotten more thicker & healthy looking. It has alot of shine to it. I just got my hair cut into a bob. Shorter in the back & longer on the sides. I was afraid I would not like it. All I can say now, is I LOVE IT!!! So easy to take care of and my family & friends love it.

I know its a hard decision to make about our hair. Hopefully it will work out for you!!

ellietoo1295996086.8632272 PostsRegistered 6/19/2005

If you don't have a person who does your hair on a regular basis and you go to someone who does not know your hair for a perm or body wave you had better be careful. People who want these perms usually have fine thin hair which is damaged very easily. That type of hair can end up being fried and frizzy. My opinion is get some Andrew Lessman's hair skin and nails supplement, eat healthy and use some hot rollers. If you use electric rollers right they will hold the curl longer and you can usually get done must faster than a curling iron alone. Just use a good gel with them or hair spray. Spray each length of hair individually before rolling. I know it sounds like not much fun but fried hair isn't much fun either. Even with a successful body wave you are going to have to spend time styling it anyway.

Sandgirl1296003766.5377168 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 1/25/2011 ellietoo said:

If you don't have a person who does your hair on a regular basis and you go to someone who does not know your hair for a perm or body wave you had better be careful. People who want these perms usually have fine thin hair which is damaged very easily. That type of hair can end up being fried and frizzy. My opinion is get some Andrew Lessman's hair skin and nails supplement, eat healthy and use some hot rollers. If you use electric rollers right they will hold the curl longer and you can usually get done must faster than a curling iron alone. Just use a good gel with them or hair spray. Spray each length of hair individually before rolling. I know it sounds like not much fun but fried hair isn't much fun either. Even with a successful body wave you are going to have to spend time styling it anyway.

My hair isn't super fine or thin - it's actually REALLY healthy and shiny and I DO NOT color it (yet...no grey....yet) I trim it on my own about every 6-8 weeks and I just grew my bangs out (I had bangs my whole life.....80's girl)

I am thinking some of you are right, I need to bite it and go in and have it cut and styled and figure out what I can do with it with a good cut and some hot rollers or something.... Hot rollers always leave bend marks in my hair and I hate that!!

I work out every night so I HAVE TO wash my hair daily, every other day is NOT an option so hot rollers will only last me 1 day as well.

Page 1 of 1