Better Than Black Friday
122 Members and 7277 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Best Foundation for Over 60

Started 1295062645.013 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1297171241.987 by Gal

Hi Ladies,

I'm new to all of this but found it informative. Can anyone give me some suggestions on the best foundations for good coverage without looking older. I'm 61 with fair to light skin and red hair. I'm currently using Olay tinted moisturizer but it does not give enough coverage. Let me know what you like. Thanks and I look forward to reading your replys.

Page 1 of 2
JBinRWC1295063120.958613 PostsRegistered 1/26/2008Northern CA

Orexi, thanks for posting this. I just turned 61 in December and I am also looking for a new foundation. I will be anxious to see the replies.

author1295063408.8734397 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005

I'm 64 and 4 years ago switched to Lancome Renergie Lift. I had a consult at the Lancome counter, and this foundation filled my needs - aging, dry skin. It has an SPF too. It covers but looks natural and dewy. I don't like their skincare as it is so scented, but the foundations are great.

And it looks natural, not cakey or dry or old lady. ;-)

India Rose1295063477.894205 PostsRegistered 4/30/2007

Hi Orexi - nice to meet you. I like Armani's foundation. Neiman Marcus, Bloomies sell it and their sales people know the products in the line. They'll tell you that you don't need to use a lot to get coverage. Hope you try it.

"Freedom is lost gradually from an uninterested, uninformed, and uninvolved people".
Thomas Jefferson

irishwoman1295063744.832168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006

I have to agree on the lancome!!!

It is very good!

I also like clinique supermoist,comes in a tube,great for travel, and wont break or spill..

both are very good ones,for the price,i go with clinique,its only 23.00. weas lancome is over 40.00....

I dont use powder of any kind anymore, as i find it dries out my skin,and looks chaulky after a few hours too..

Btw,iam 63, good skin, fair,blue eyes...

hope this helps!

bren

horseyak1295063860.4171218 PostsRegistered 1/9/2005

I love the relatively new Bobbi Brown spf 15 liquid makeup. I don't think the Q carries it. Got it at Nordstroms.

Chrissylee1295064279.771 PostsRegistered 1/14/2011

I'm almost 65. I use a primer first after philosophys Hope in a Jar moisterizer.
Right now I'm using Laura Geller's primer and I like it a lot.
Then I use Smashbox Halo. I really like it. This doesn't cake in my "experience lines". I also have had trouble with blush and have the new Smashbox blush and really love it.

jubilant1295090549.743448 PostsRegistered 6/10/2010 Indiana

I will be turning 61 very soon. My skin is combination in the summer and dry in the winter. I am wearing Clinique Supermoist this winter and really liking it. It has a dewy finish. I also like a couple of Merle Norman's foundations really well. They will give you generous samples so you can try them first. I worked for Merle Norman in the "90s" and like a lot of their products. I think they have 6 or 7 foundations to choose from now. A lot depends on your skin type. Some women our age have a hard time getting use to a heavier coverage so they stay with a lighter coverage but use concealer underneath foundation to cover flaws lightly blending the two.

What I am looking for is not out there, it is in me.
~ Helen Keller ~

Soledad2251295092004.2678 PostsRegistered 2/25/2010

Hi Orexi - I'm also new to all of this, but a long-time lurker. I've learned a lot from the beautiful beauties on this board. They are indeed extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I can relate to your skin complexion. I'm also fair to light complected and what works for me is Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup (SPF 15) in Diaphane. I know it's a bit pricey, but the coverage is great. I gave up on minerals a while back because they looked too powdery. When I'm in a hurry, I opt to use Laura Geller's fair Balance n Brighten with a little bit of concealer. HTH.

ETA: I'm almost 53 in Feb. My skin is not the greatest, but I'm working on it.

Last edited on 1/15/2011

Last edited on 1/15/2011

gonnab1295092884.213119 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007Conn.

I'm nearly 75 and am in the same boat as you gals - finding good products but at decent prices. I've tried both Lancome and Chanel - like both of them - but lately, tried Rimmel. Really like it - good coverage, great color match, dewy smooth finish, and best of all - great price! Drugstore price of $7 with frequent BOGO's.

age 78, sensitive/combo skin, few fine lines, lack of firmness especially to cheeks, short natural (never colored) grey hair, brown eyes

lovestotea­ch1295093205.47315284 PostsRegistered 1/2/2009DFW Metroplex, Tx

Trying to get up the nerve to spend $60.00 on Oxygenetix. The samples were quite healing, and I feel it would make a good foundation. Probably not a lot of coverage at first, until my skin calms down and heals. The cold weather and harsh heating have wrecked havoc on my skin, which the Oxy might soothe. Then, I would probably apply faerieorganic mmu over -- it seems to be so good for my skin and has a beautiful finish. Right now using Clinique stay-true (oil-free) with the faerieorganic over it. I am happy with the look of it, but right now make-up free, my skin doesn't look that great.

Lovestoteach~ ~ ♥ ♥♥

Orexi1295111321.17311 PostsRegistered 1/14/2011

THANK YOU ladies for all of your good info. I am going to try some of these and report back. Also, while I'm at it, since some of you mentioned concealers, what are some good ones to try under foundation? Let me know and have a great day!

Kathy

smoochy1295111665.762516 PostsRegistered 10/8/2006pure Michigan!
On 1/15/2011 Soledad225 said:

Hi Orexi - I'm also new to all of this, but a long-time lurker. I've learned a lot from the beautiful beauties on this board. They are indeed extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I can relate to your skin complexion. I'm also fair to light complected and what works for me is Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Fluid Makeup (SPF 15) in Diaphane. I know it's a bit pricey, but the coverage is great. I gave up on minerals a while back because they looked too powdery. When I'm in a hurry, I opt to use Laura Geller's fair Balance n Brighten with a little bit of concealer. HTH.

ETA: I'm almost 53 in Feb. My skin is not the greatest, but I'm working on it.

Last edited on 1/15/2011

you don't find the Balance and Brighten to look powdery like the mineral makeup? I might be interested in trying it but not if it looks dry. (59 yo w/dry skin) It would be nice to have something real quick and light such as that, for weekends when I don't want the full face of makeup.

Orexi1295115923.92311 PostsRegistered 1/14/2011
On 1/14/2011 irishwoman said:

I have to agree on the lancome!!!

It is very good!

I also like clinique supermoist,comes in a tube,great for travel, and wont break or spill..

both are very good ones,for the price,i go with clinique,its only 23.00. weas lancome is over 40.00....

I dont use powder of any kind anymore, as i find it dries out my skin,and looks chaulky after a few hours too..

Btw,iam 63, good skin, fair,blue eyes...

hope this helps!

bren

Hi Bren,

You were extremely helpful. Can you tell what shades you liked best in both and also any great concealers you know about. Thank you again!

Kathy

Tricolor1295204327.695317 PostsRegistered 4/19/2010Pittsburgh Suburbs

I turned 61 in November and my two favorites are Giorgio Armani Cream Foundation and Guerlain Gold Parure. Guerlain sells for $78 which is pricey, but I love it. I have fair to medium dry skin. Both provide alot of moisture and wear well. You may want to check out Laura Mercier's Cream Foundation also.

65 year old
Blonde highlights
Dry skin and hair

Kathleen1295204712.0413311 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

I'm 68 - try Almay TLC. It's a liquid with a good coverage.

viva9231295205611.867018 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I am 61, have tried just about everything on the market. I am with Bare Escentuals foundation. My face has cleared up, no more break outs since changing over to BE, the liquid foundation does settle in my facial lines,and for me , BE does not do that.

SALTANDLIG­HT1295206027.103209 PostsRegistered 11/13/2010

Hi orexi, after spending so much money on high-end foundtions, I asked my sister what she was using on her mature skin. Maybeline super stay for around $9. I tried it using DR. J's cran-magic lotion on my face and then applied the (sand) and I could not believe the dewy coverage and perfect coloring. And the cran-magic lotion was also very reasonable at berryworks.com

Oh, I apply the liquid foundation with a wet sponge.

Orexi1295904557.67711 PostsRegistered 1/14/2011
On 1/14/2011 author said:

I'm 64 and 4 years ago switched to Lancome Renergie Lift. I had a consult at the Lancome counter, and this foundation filled my needs - aging, dry skin. It has an SPF too. It covers but looks natural and dewy. I don't like their skincare as it is so scented, but the foundations are great.

Just wanted to let you know I purchased the Lancome Renergie Life and I just love it. Thank you for letting me know.

Daysdee1295904803.0619131 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 1/24/2011 Orexi said:
On 1/14/2011 author said:

Just wanted to let you know I purchased the Lancome Renergie Life and I just love it. Thank you for letting me know.

I am finishing up Tarte ReCreate, YSL ( which I like a lot), and LG Phenomenal and may try the Lancome next. Thanks for the info. 69 here

freckledgy­psy1295904871.3231133 PostsRegistered 11/9/2007New York

I am 61 with pretty good skin. I have been wearing Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in (bisque) for many years. I love it because it is NOT heavy coverage. Heavy makes anyone look older. It it just enough to even out my skin tone and cover my freckles a bit and it never creases. It is SPF 20. I have strayed a few times over the years but ALWAYS come back to LM. It's $43.00 but lasts at least 6 months.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

author1295905276.374397 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005

Orexi, I'm so glad you like it! When I tried it I thought I was perfectly happy with the Prescriptives one I had been using, but gave in, got a sample, and have been happily using it ever since.

I don't know if there is ever the "perfect" foundation so I don't keep buying and trying, but sometimes it's good to see what might be better. It's nice to get compliments on your skin at this age too, and the right foundation really makes a difference.

naturalfan1295905512.8934298 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I'm not 60 yet but close enough (55). I have oily skin and I always shy away from anything labeled moisturizing, glowing, radiant, etc. But for some reason I purchased the Yves Saint Laurent Tient Radiance foundation and I really like it. It is not a heavy coverage but more coverage than a tinted moisturiser. It is labelled a "radiance enhancing flawless foundation" and it has a SPF 20. I never used YSL product before but I like this one so far.

Buck-i-Nana1295905514.1738192 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio
On 1/15/2011 Orexi said:

THANK YOU ladies for all of your good info. I am going to try some of these and report back. Also, while I'm at it, since some of you mentioned concealers, what are some good ones to try under foundation? Let me know and have a great day!

Kathy

I just decided yesterday to go to a major department store and talk with a consultant about foundation and concealer. Never bothered much with it in the past, but I just got that bee in my bonnet.

My neighbor who is 75 swears by Clinique, so I went to the clinique counter. I'm 57, good skin, needing just a brightening and evening out and of course dealing with dark circles and crepeness (which has been significantly reduced since starting with Dr. Denese's 76% peptide).

Anyway, she found the perfect shade for me in the "even better" foundation. Went with the "line smoothing concealer". She showed me how to apply the foundation with a brush which I never would have thought to do with a liquid foundation. She also had me use a brush with the concealer and, the real biggie for me was she said not to put foundation on the under-eye area if you're going to use concealer.

The look was perfect, my skin feels great, and even better, I actually did it all myself this morning and it was perfect again!

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

Orexi1296102785.8911 PostsRegistered 1/14/2011
On 1/24/2011 JanM said:
On 1/15/2011 Orexi said:

Kathy

I just decided yesterday to go to a major department store and talk with a consultant about foundation and concealer. Never bothered much with it in the past, but I just got that bee in my bonnet.

My neighbor who is 75 swears by Clinique, so I went to the clinique counter. I'm 57, good skin, needing just a brightening and evening out and of course dealing with dark circles and crepeness (which has been significantly reduced since starting with Dr. Denese's 76% peptide).

Anyway, she found the perfect shade for me in the "even better" foundation. Went with the "line smoothing concealer". She showed me how to apply the foundation with a brush which I never would have thought to do with a liquid foundation. She also had me use a brush with the concealer and, the real biggie for me was she said not to put foundation on the under-eye area if you're going to use concealer.

The look was perfect, my skin feels great, and even better, I actually did it all myself this morning and it was perfect again!

Very interesting info! What kind of brush did you use to apply the foundation?

Pianomama1296114076.2132900 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007southern California

Kathleen, I use Almay too. The kind for dry skin. It covers well and it is affordable. I just cannot afford higher priced makeup.

Page 1 of 2