Fall Fashion Clearance
140 Members and 11935 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

pierced ear closing need help

Started 1294786329.467 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1294969663.987 by caligrl

I have had pierced ears since I was a teen. The past few years the hole in my ears keeps closing each night. I have to almost "re pierce" my ear every time I want to wear a pair of earings.

I've tried never taking the earrings out, going back to studs, but as soon as the earring comes out for any length of time I have to push through skin to put in earrings.

Wearing earings all the time makes my ears hurt so wearing them 24/7 isn't an option at the moment.

I actually had some of my piercings higher up on my ear close completely. You can't even tell I once had 3 holes in one ear.

So any suggestions? If I have them redone can they repierce exactly where the hole is now?

Anyone else have a similar incident? If so how did you fix it?

Page 1 of 2
Disneyland­fan1294786358.3233364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California

I will be back have to pick up the kids but I hope someone can direct me to an answerSmile

MainelyMom­my1294786966.9531588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

Actually I have the exact same problem. I have(had) 3 holes on the bottom and one on top from when I was a teen. All the holes have closed except my lowest bottom ones. I have had no interest in the upper holes anymore and I am content to leave them alone. After long periods with no earrings I have had to just push the earring through and leave studs in to make them stay open. I know this is gross but you wanted an answer.......Now what I do is periodically I push(forward) on the back of my earlobe where the hole is and push out the little "plug" that begins to form inside the hole. That keeps the hole open longer and I don't have to push and "repeirce" them by forcing an earring through. When you go for any length of time with no earrings in (months) you ear naturally tries to "heal" itself so for me it does require maintenance. I try to wear studs for several days in a row at least once a week so help the situation.

Hope that helps.

Disneyland­fan1294788306.0073364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California

Thanks MainelyMommy, yes that sounds like what I have to do only mine close every night.

I am curious to find out if re piercing the ear would help.

Last edited on 1/11/2011

Last edited on 1/11/2011

MainelyMom­my1294788675.4871588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

How long did you wear your earrings when you first peirced them? As far as I know you have to keep them in at least 6 months straight for them to stay open permanently. If you did repeirce them you would have to go through that process again. If they close every night on you I would just keep a tiny pair of gold studs in that are comfortable to sleep in (like a child's pair), and change them out as needed. That is the only thing I can think of.

ennui1294788804.95319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 1/11/2011 Disneylandfan said:

Thanks MainelyMommy, yes that sounds like what I have to do only mine close every night.

I know someone else with that problem. I don't think repiercing would make a difference. Just put on earrings as soon as you get up in the morning.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

LisaRRocks1294789051.713221 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Michigan

Mainelymommy is right on, Disneylandfan! Pick up a tiny pair of earrings, ones that you can sleep in comfortably. I picked up a small pair of rosegold stud earrings that I wear 24/7 unless I change them with something else. I can't go even a few days without my pierced holes closing up either, so do try and wear something small at all times. I take mine out every two or three days and clean them with a little alcohol, really simple. Kiss

RedTop1294789299.84182 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

Your statement that wearing earrings all the time makes your ears hurt, makes me wonder if you have a nickel allergy, which might be the underlying reason for all your problems. SimplyWhispers.com is the perfect place to find nickel free earrings.

Disneyland­fan1294789426.7833364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California

I've been trying to wear studs at night but my left ear hole will ache and get bloody (sorry for that description). I guess maybe I'm not supposed to wear earrings.{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I'll keep trying. I keep thinking that eventually the hole will stop trying to close or at least my ears will stop hurting wearing earrings at night. I've even gone back to spinning the earring when I put the studs in like when they were first pierced.

Well, I guess on the positive side my body likes to heal itself!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Thank you for your ideas and replies.

Disneyland­fan1294789510.4273364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California
On 1/11/2011 RedTop said:

Your statement that wearing earrings all the time makes your ears hurt, makes me wonder if you have a nickel allergy, which might be the underlying reason for all your problems. SimplyWhispers.com is the perfect place to find nickel free earrings.

Now I never thought of that. There are definitely earrings that cause pain more than others..I'll need to check that out. Thank you for the website.

MainelyMom­my1294789605.5071588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

Yeah, an allergy could be it. I am sensitive to metals and I only wear gold. But now they have stainless steel earrings that they never used to make and you could get a pair of SS studs as well. SS is hypoallergenic as well.

tired mom041294789919.8471205 PostsRegistered 7/10/2009so. cal

This happens to my daughter sometimes if she goes without earrings for a few days. What we have found that makes it easier to put them back in is, rubbing a little neosporin on both sides of the earlobe and the part of the earring that goes in the ear. The earrings slide in really easy this way. Just an idea.

It's nice to be important
but it's more important to be nice.

Pinkroses1294790165.2971271 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007TN

I only have my earrings pierced once on each side, but my left ear will close up daily if I don't wear earrings all the time. I have a set of diamond chips 1/4 inch that I wear all the time. This way I can keep the hole open and switch out earrings each morning if I want.

From iPad Air

toodles111294790195.83594 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

After my ears got infected, my ears were very picky about what I could wear. I found some ointment for ears/earrings that helped. I don't know if it is available anymore, but you could try antibiotic ointment. Also, the nickel free earrings is a good way to go. You could also see if you could find some small hoops that you can pull through the ear. They used to be an option when getting your ears pierced (long time ago).

drizzellla1294790450.7471470 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Do your ears get dark? A friend of mine had a reaction to nickel in gold. She would wear a 14K gold necklace and after a few hours she would have dark circle around her neck. Do you have any earring with surgical steel posts?

The bad news is Time Flies
The good news is You are the pilot.

feef1294790488.853217 PostsRegistered 12/19/2010

I had second piercing in both my ears and they closed up as well. I actually got them re-pierced, but they closed up again. So, I'm not sure what else you can do except maybe keep studs in your ears all the time.

Disneyland­fan1294790514.493364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California

Interesting that I'm not alone in the problem. I'd never heard anyone else have the same problem but I knew this would be the place to ask.

Thank you for good ideas. Never thought of putting on neosporin but what a good idea. I think I'll try that before and after.

And no one has to tell me twice to buy new earrings{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I think getting some small hoops in 14 carat gold might be a good idea.

Again thank you all for your replies!! My ear lobes thank you!

Disneyland­fan1294790651.563364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California
On 1/11/2011 drizzellla said:

Do your ears get dark? A friend of mine had a reaction to nickel in gold. She would wear a 14K gold necklace and after a few hours she would have dark circle around her neck. Do you have any earring with surgical steel posts?

No not dark. Just red and irritated. I think most of my earrings have gold or stainless steel for posts but there definitely could be some with nickel which might start the problem. I'm going to go thru my jewelry.

toodles111294791035.983594 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

Red and Irritated, yep. I'm so glad mine finally healed up, but it took a long time. Mostly because I forgot to put the ointment on regularly.

toodles111294792190.1594 PostsRegistered 12/6/2010

I went to that website and they have Simply Whispers Misty Ear Care Gel $1.98

Disneyland­fan1294795208.9033364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California
On 1/11/2011 toodles11 said:

Thank you. I saw they have a lot of items for sensitive ears. I think I'm going to try the neopsorin tonight since I have it at home and then order the Misty gel.

rini1294795759.2568 PostsRegistered 11/15/2010

The advice being given in this thread is making me cringe. Aside from having A LOT of piercings (12 just between my ears), I used to work at a piercing shop. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not use alcohol or neosporin on ANY piercing! Alcohol only dries out the skin that's trying to heal (or is already healed) and neosporin says right on the tube--not for puncture wounds, which is what a piercing is. If you think of a piercing as a little drain pipe, you want to keep it clean so that it can heal properly. If you put neosporin in it, it will clog up (think of the clogged pipe in the draino commercials) and make healing slower and more painful.

I've got lots of suggestions/advice if you can make it through my entire post. :)

On 1/11/2011 Disneylandfan said:

So any suggestions? If I have them redone can they repierce exactly where the hole is now?

NO! Having them repierced will make the problem worse because your skin will still keep trying to heal itself and fresh piercings need to be left in place for months before they're fully healed.

On 1/11/2011 MainelyMommy said:

As far as I know you have to keep them in at least 6 months straight for them to stay open permanently. If you did repeirce them you would have to go through that process again. If they close every night on you I would just keep a tiny pair of gold studs in that are comfortable to sleep in (like a child's pair), and change them out as needed. That is the only thing I can think of.

With the exception of EXTREMELY stretched ears that need to be sewn back together to close them up, no piercing is permanent. If jewelry is out for a long enough time, a piercing will close up.

As for finding jewelry that's comfortable at night, I myself had the same problem. I've got 8 piercings in one ear and 4 (not all on the lobe) in the other ear. My first problem was that I became allergic to almost all the jewelry that's sold in any store. Even the "hypo-allergenic" or "nickel free" stuff would make my ears instantly red, puffy, itchy and extremely hot. Even things that are plated in gold would bother me because eventually the plating would wear away and expose the junk material. I'm able to wear surgical grade steel, solid gold and titanium & niobium which are virtually "allergy" free. I would suggest you try for something that's made with titanium or niobium as those will be your safest bets and they come in pretty colors.

As for type of jewelry, I've found that small hoops (not the kind that have backings) work the best because there's less poking around and pressure put on your ear. With 8 piercings it was uncomfortable sleeping on them with posts, but I haven't had problems since switching to hoops. The specific type of hoops I have are called captive bead rings where the ring is held with a little bead that has dimples on both ends for the ring to sit. I find them extremely hard to change on my own, as I can't line the balls up on my own ear, but if you don't change your jewelry a lot, then it's not a problem. If you would like to be able to change it yourself, they make fixed bead rings, which are like captives but one end of the ball is attached to the ring so it won't fall off and you only have to bend the ring into place to keep it closed. There's a few good sites you can order from if you don't want to go to a piercing shop. Check out http://www.steelnavel.com/catalog.asp?ID=77 for an idea on the materials I'm talking about.

On 1/11/2011 tired mom04 said:

This happens to my daughter sometimes if she goes without earrings for a few days. What we have found that makes it easier to put them back in is, rubbing a little neosporin on both sides of the earlobe and the part of the earring that goes in the ear. The earrings slide in really easy this way. Just an idea.

On 1/11/2011 toodles11 said:

Again, I would strongly advise against using neosporin, especially since it says not for puncture wounds. I'd also advise against that ear gel. I looked at the site and that's not something I'd want to put near my piercings. I've used aloe on sunburns and it makes my skin burn even more, so the thought of putting that on a piercing where it can go into the hole is not pleasant. I would suggest the following:

There's this stuff called H2Ocean, which is just purified salt water in a spray bottle. That's all you need to clean a piercing, and you can use it in place of neosporin to coat the piercing and jewerly for insertion as well. If you don't want to buy it, you can make your own salt water mix with NON-IODIZED sea salt, which can be found at any grocery store--just make sure it's the NON-IODIZED kind, as the other is what you'd use for table salt and that's not good for piercings.

If you're piercing is irritated and you want to use something else as well, I'd suggest emu oil (if you're not against using animal products). I used to avoid using animal products until I had an infected piercing and couldn't get it to heal. I finally gave in and tried the emu oil and it healed it. The properties in the emu oil help promote skin cell regrowth, so it helps with the piercing healing.

Another thing you don't want to do is play with, move, or rotate your jewelry while the piercing is healing. Contrary to what you might have been told, rotating your jewelry while cleaning the piercing is actually detrimental to healing. It only agitates the skin, which slows down the healing process.

Hope some of this helped and if you have any questions, let me me know!

Anniecamp1294796721.6573786 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

One of my ear piercings closes up at night too. I just can't stand to sleep in earrings. It drives me crazy. I had them pierced when I was 15 and obviously had to sleep in then back then. I can only wear 14K gold, so I miss out on a lot of fun earrings.

brownie9171294797640.594579 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004New England

These plastic-made tiny ball earrings might do the trick (wear them at night). This way you'll have earrings in all the time which should secure an opening in the piercings. Or tiny stainless steel ball studs to wear at night (Simply Whispers carries those too).

http://www.simplywhispersstore.com/95594.html

aubnwa011294801465.8176780 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004Cortaro, AZ

I had my ears initially pierced in 1966 when I was 16. Over the years, I wore thin wire type earrings that you'd hand stuff on & hoops with thin wires. I never wore earrings at nite at all, because I couldn't stand the wire or post poking me or catching on things. the holes in my ears were so small that I'd have to repierce them often. It got to the point where I seldom wore earrings anymore.

About 10 years ago, I bought a pair of little 14K huggie hoop type earrings at Ben Bridge Jewelers in Seattle. These tiny hoops had a thick post & I tried to force them into my existing piercings to stretch them out & was unable to do it. I had several friends try to force them on & they weren't successful either. I went to a piercing kiosk at a mall & they wouldn't touch me & referred me to a piercing/tattoo place. I guess there are special tools that they had that the mall places don't have for enlarging holes.

I went & got the holes enlarged & have worn these little tiny earrings 24/7 ever since. I have a white gold & yellow gold pair & they're so little, they nearly look like studs. I sleep & shower in them & never even feel them & they don't catch on anything. I take them out & clean them with alcohol every week or so, but have never had any more troubles with wearing earrings that I had for so many year before. My piercings are now about 3 times bigger than they were before, because the posts on these little earrings are so much heavier than the wire type.

Huggie Hoop Earrings 14K

"Always Be A Little Kinder Than Necessary"-James M. Barrie

Disneyland­fan1294808089.1533364 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California

Thank you for all the information and links and pictures. I guess I just have to wear something all the time. I think the hoop idea is a good one.

Plus I'll stop moving my earrings...my ear lobe will love that because it actually hurt to move it.

Hopefully all of these suggestions will help.

Page 1 of 2