Keurig Offer
105 Members and 10805 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Could you please recommend a good oil based moisturizer ?

Started 1293578253.49 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1293670997.237 by iachick

I am having really dry skin this winter and my current moisturizer is not cutting it. I read on Yahoo today that we should use a oil based moisturizer in the winter and stay away from water based.

1. Opt for oil-based moisturizers
“Dr. Shamban says the main switch in your winter skin care regimenshould be selecting an oil-based moisturizer, so look for one that contains avocado or almond oil. These “will lock the moisture in your skin and build a protective layer on the top surface,” says Dr. Shamban. “Water based moisturizers can be damaging to your skin, especially during cold climate, because the water freezes in your skin.” Apply liberally whenever your skin feels dry.

Thank you very much.

~~ The world is a wonderful place and everyone should shut up and enjoy it every once in a while. ~~

Page 1 of 2
winamac1293578868.20719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

Vaseline or Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion--not the gel

Woodsy Wom­an1293580566.4574227 PostsRegistered 8/27/2007
On 12/28/2010 winamac said:

Vaseline or Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion--not the gel

Thank you {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~~ The world is a wonderful place and everyone should shut up and enjoy it every once in a while. ~~

OCGurl1293580779.0277504 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

if your skin can handle mineral oil Ponds Dry Skin cream or Nivea are great

i prefer Ponds :)

Twins1293583075.1532559 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Chicago

JMO, but there's nothing better than Shiseido's Benefiance Revitalizing Emulsion, and can be used both morning and night. It's a bit expensive but well worth it. I would also recommend Cellex C's G.L.A. Extra Moist. It's expensive too, but on eBay there's a seller for half price and exp. is 2013.

Sharon

ok21293583350.6634688 PostsRegistered 7/13/2007

Clarins Santal Face Treatment Oil is fantastic! You can put a little on, under your regular moisturizer, or use alone. I also like to use a thin layer of Vaseline as the last step in my night time routine. Baby Oil used with wet exfoliating gloves in the shower for my body...a little tip I learned here!

Zaksgrrl1293583386.1679844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

Try a lovely, good-for-your-skin oil like Marula or Argan, or try a mix of everything good like the Night Nourishment Serum by SheaTerraOrganics.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Twins1293583640.3932559 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Chicago
On 12/28/2010 Twins said:

JMO, but there's nothing better than Shiseido's Benefiance Revitalizing Emulsion, and can be used both morning and night. It's a bit expensive but well worth it. I would also recommend Cellex C's G.L.A. Extra Moist. It's expensive too, but on eBay there's a seller for half price and exp. is 2013.

Oh, forgot to add that I've been using Emu Oil with everything when extra dry and just love it! It's non pore-clogging and is more emollient than argan oil.

Sharon

jujube1293591131.552699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

i use argan oil, squalane, jojoba oil, depending on how dry my skin is. i put it under my moisturizer, also paulas choice anti oxidant serum is a product i cannot live without

Love me, love my cats:)

Nascarfan481293591427.11525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

another rec for Pond's

straykatz1293591616.3738625 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

Eucerin Emolient Cream - you can buy the generic in a really large jar for about 8 bucks and it works just as good as the brand name.

@-->-->---

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it.

kittygrl1293593666.81699 PostsRegistered 12/10/2007
On 12/28/2010 straykatz said:

Eucerin Emolient Cream - you can buy the generic in a really large jar for about 8 bucks and it works just as good as the brand name.

do you use it on your face? I WOULD LIKE TO TRY THAT.

straykatz1293639489.698625 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

Yes...been using this product on my face for at least 30 years. I have very sensitive skin that easily is irritated by all the chemicals, scents, and what-nots in most products...this is the only cream I can put on my face without it burning my skin.

@-->-->---

Irshgrl312­011293640020.7114259 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

I am an esthetician and I would also recommend Eucerin. You don't have to worry about irritating essential oils with that either. You can buy the store brand it is just the same, but cheaper. If your skin is really dry and you need more I would suggest using olive oil, jojoba oil or argan oil first, like you would a serum and then the Eucerin on top of that. That will give you an extra boost of moisture. I think Eucerin is the best of all these recommendations AND the least expensive. A LOT of moisturizers have irritating essential oils in them that are no good for the skin (like lavender, orange, lemon, menthol) because they cause irritation (even if you can't see it) which slows down your skins own natural production of collagen.

Lotus~1293640651.68335475 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
On 12/29/2010 irshgrl312 said:

I am an esthetician and I would also recommend Eucerin. You don't have to worry about irritating essential oils with that either. You can buy the store brand it is just the same, but cheaper. If your skin is really dry and you need more I would suggest using olive oil, jojoba oil or argan oil first, like you would a serum and then the Eucerin on top of that. That will give you an extra boost of moisture. I think Eucerin is the best of all these recommendations AND the least expensive. A LOT of moisturizers have irritating essential oils in them that are no good for the skin (like lavender, orange, lemon, menthol) because they cause irritation (even if you can't see it) which slows down your skins own natural production of collagen.

irshgrl.....I've been using Eucerin Q10 for sensitive skin. I'm on my 2nd x 1.7 oz. jar. My skin is so bad I had to go to the dermatologist yesterday. I had blotchy medium sized bumps along the lower part of my face that was sooooo itchy. He said I had excema. I've always had dry skin, but, NEVER had excema in my life. He prescibed Westcort cream to use for 2 weeks. The only think I have done differently in my routine is NOT using Dr. Denese Hydroshield......I ran out about a month ago and never re-ordered.

Is there anything more emollient and moisturizing you can recommend to use as a daily moisturizer? I just ordered Dr. Denese Dream Cream/Hydroshild combo kit.

TIA

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

Irshgrl312­011293640881.53714259 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Are you saying that you think you got excema from using the Eucerin?

Lotus~1293641441.09735475 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

No....I've been using the Eucerin for about 4 months.....he said the excema is from the very dry winter we're having.....I'm adding back the Hydroshield and hoping that will help, if used again with the Eucerin. I'm wondering if NOT using the Hydroshield contributed to the excema.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else you would recommend.

My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3

Irshgrl312­011293641593.314259 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Things that are moisturizing and emoliient that I would recommend would definitely be olive oil, jojoba oil and argan oil too. Cetaphyl has some good moisturizing creams and lotions that don't have irritating oils in them.

This is OT but I have Crohns disease. I have been taking probiotics to help get some good flora in my intestines because I was on antibiotics and it killed all good and bad bacteria. My doctor recommended them to me, to help with that. I went online to order Dr. O Harris probiotics and I was reading the reviews. Stomach problems cause a lot of other problems that you wouldn't think it would be associated with. A LOT, and I mean A LOT of people who suffer with excema are using probiotics (you can also get good ones at GNC) to help with their excema with a lot of success. I would suggest to you that you try some.

My daughter also had mild excema and she hated using the medicine the doctors gave her and I just bought her Cetaphyl or Eurcerin. Just the regular Eucerin, just the regular moisturizing creams or lotions. Not anything with SPF or the Q 10 kind.

I know a lot of people with really bad excema are on the same type of drug that I am on for Crohns disease. It is called Humira. THis is only for the extremely severe cases of it, I am not suggesting that you even think about taking it. Excema I believe is also an auto immune disease like Crohns.

I would suggest the simplest of moisturizers with not fragrances or anything. I would take the medicine your Dr gave you. Try the oils like I said because they aren't irritating to the majority of people and if you are still have dryness use either the Cetaphyl or Eucerin. Just the regular ones though. That helped my daughters excema more than anything else, as she refused to use the medicine because she thought it burned her skin.

Lotus~1293641722.22735475 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

Thaks so much.......interesting about the Crohns (so sorry for you btw)...I have IBS, I'm not on meds....but, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Good luck with your stomach/intestine issue.

Irshgrl312­011293641821.8714259 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 12/29/2010 LotusLvr said:

No....I've been using the Eucerin for about 4 months.....he said the excema is from the very dry winter we're having.....I'm adding back the Hydroshield and hoping that will help, if used again with the Eucerin. I'm wondering if NOT using the Hydroshield contributed to the excema.

OK, gotcha!! If it were me I would not use the hydroshield because it has retinols in it. That could aggravate your excema. If you want to use something serum like I would suggest the olive oil, jojoba oil or argan oil (100% with no fragrances added). That will give you extra moisture.

You can try the Hydroshield once your excema clears up a bit but I think it might be too much with the retinol in it.

Woodsy Wom­an1293643518.534227 PostsRegistered 8/27/2007

WOW !! Thank you for all the great recommendations, I really appreciate it.

straykatz1293644257.6138625 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

irshgrl.....I've been using Eucerin Q10 for sensitive skin.

Yikes...Anything with Q10 in it burns my skin - even the Eucerin Q10.

In my post I was talking about using the Eucerin Original on my face. Cetaphil is also good but does not give me enough moisture. My daughter like Cetaphil and she thinks Eucerin is too greasy.

Woodsy...when I was first given Eucerin by my doctor many many years ago it was a prescript. Now..I'm really dating myself because it's been available over the counter for a very long time. All I know is it works and does not irritate my face and I use it morning and night. (Mornings I need to give it time to soak in before I can put my makeup on or else I have to pat off the excess.)

@-->-->---

Lotus~129364432335475 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

OK, gotcha!! If it were me I would not use the hydroshield because it has retinols in it. That could aggravate your excema. If you want to use something serum like I would suggest the olive oil, jojoba oil or argan oil (100% with no fragrances added). That will give you extra moisture.

You can try the Hydroshield once your excema clears up a bit but I think it might be too much with the retinol in it.

Thanks again....I'll wait till the excema clears up. I really appreciate your input.

Lotus~1293644405.99735475 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
On 12/29/2010 straykatz said:

In my post I was talking about using the Eucerin Original on my face. Cetaphil is also good but does not give me enough moisture. My daughter like Cetaphil and she thinks Eucerin is too greasy.

Woodsy...when I was first given Eucerin by my doctor many many years ago it was a prescript. Now..I'm really dating myself because it's been available over the counter for a very long time. All I know is it works and does not irritate my face and I use it morning and night. (Mornings I need to give it time to soak in before I can put my makeup on or else I have to pat off the excess.)

Is it the regular formula? The one you can use on your body too? Or, one formulated especially for your face?

I wonder if the Eucerin Q10 is what's aggravating my skin????

Irshgrl312­011293644463.67714259 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 12/29/2010 straykatz said:

Yes that is why I told her just the regular Cetaphil or Eucerin. Q10 aggravates my skin too!!

kal1293644567.0632443 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
On 12/28/2010 Woodsy Woman said:

I am having really dry skin this winter and my current moisturizer is not cutting it. I read on Yahoo today that we should use a oil based moisturizer in the winter and stay away from water based.

1. Opt for oil-based moisturizers
“Dr. Shamban says the main switch in your winter skin care regimenshould be selecting an oil-based moisturizer, so look for one that contains avocado or almond oil. These “will lock the moisture in your skin and build a protective layer on the top surface,” says Dr. Shamban. “Water based moisturizers can be damaging to your skin, especially during cold climate, because the water freezes in your skin.” Apply liberally whenever your skin feels dry.

Thank you very much.

Lush skin nanny. It contains lots of great oils and is very good, especially in winter.

Page 1 of 2