Back-in-Stock Fashions
57 Members and 13606 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Depressed about my thinning hair/ prenatal vitamins/ evening primrose?

Started 1293468482.877 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1295570464.83 by firestripes

I'm 44 and for every year my hair is thinner, not only on the top but my ponytail is so thin.

I have tried hair vitamins but so far nothing helped. I was reading that prenatal vitamins are good for the hair and wondering if it worked for you. I'm looking for one that has a good amount of iron because mine is on the low side.

I've been on Armour thyroid for years. Has anyone heard of evening primrose for hair?

I hate to take iron supplements, bad on my stomach and constipating.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Nascarfan481293470839.3631525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

not sure that a prenatal vitamin would be any better than a regular multi-vitamin. I take a multi, biotin, and evening primrose. I also take an iron that my dr recommended for me, haven't had any bad side effects. when I first started taking it I did need to take it with food so it didn't upset my stomach, but I've been taking it for almost 4 years and it doesn't bother me any more. I don't have a hair loss issue but I take the biotin and evening primrose to have healthier hair.

Hearts4Me1293470868.971602 PostsRegistered 9/27/2005

I'm sorry to say that I've tried every darned vitamin, supplement (including evening primrose), shampoo, tea tree oil, etc., etc., but still losing hair like crazy. Blood work all came back okay, too.

I'm pretty much 100% convinced that for me it's menopause, and since I can't take any HRT, I'm in big, big trouble.

My hair (or lack thereof) is ruining my life. No kidding. This is the very last thing I EVER expected for sure.

Zoologist1293470910.276013 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

Please try a B-12 complex vitamin.

And shampoo gently, and every other day or at least not as often when you don't have to.

nunu4u1293471008.4978691 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

My hair has grown much more (even lashes) using neocell collagen. You can read reviews on iherb, its a best seller there. Also, you can buy at Costco.

dooBdoo1293475417.76317459 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
Please see a dermatologist. There are many new treatments for thinning hair now. But you might be making the hair loss WORSE by trying all the OTC herbs & remedies. It seems a larger number of women are seeing hair loss, and the medical community attributes much of it to all the chemicals, weaves, and any other "pulling" techniques. You mentioned your pony tail -- that's one hairstyle causing permanent hair thinning. Best of luck to you!

★~
Schadenfreude: finding pleasure in the pain of others.
Everything we think and say and do paves the road on which we walk
and shapes our destiny.
(anon)

dooBdoo1293475901.4117459 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 12/27/2010 dooBdoo said: Please see a dermatologist. There are many new treatments for thinning hair now. But you might be making the hair loss WORSE by trying all the OTC herbs & remedies. It seems a larger number of women are seeing hair loss, and the medical community attributes much of it to all the chemicals, weaves, and any other "pulling" techniques. You mentioned your pony tail -- that's one hairstyle causing permanent hair thinning. Best of luck to you!

★~
Schadenfreude: finding pleasure in the pain of others.
Everything we think and say and do paves the road on which we walk
and shapes our destiny.
(anon)

firestripes1293476061.317979 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

Thanks ladies,

I don't wear my hair in a ponytail - but it's how I measure thin hair and my hair is very thin!

I get so upset - my sister in law is over 50 and has very thick hair!!!! mine used to be thick, many years ago. My daughter is always feeling my hair and telling me is this all the hair you have? I feel ugly.

I do have ferritin iron levels that are around 26 - which is low but I don't want to take iron pills, or alot of extra vitamins if my hair won't get thicker.

Subject1293476399.4511269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

If thyroid is not the issue- or nutrition you probably just got the short end of the stick when it comes to hair as you age. I see many many woman 40 plus that have very thin hair or are actually quite bald. Why they do not wear a wig is beyond me. I guess they are comfortable in their own skin so to speak. You have options as the condition progresses- surgery or wigs. It is not life threatening- men deal with is all the time.

Troop_Angel1293477077.395424 PostsRegistered 4/22/2006

My hair in front is thinning, and I'm worried about it. I'm thinking it's menopause too. I ordered Andrew Lessman's vitamins for hair, nails, and skin. Waiting for it to arrive from HSN. I went on Dr. Weil's web site, and he mentioned certain vitamins for hair loss; some of them are in Lessman's hair vitamins, that's why I ordered it; plus it is customer top rated. I'll let you know how it works.

cutty1293489750.013171 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

Thanks!!!

I will look it up also.

MainelyMom­my1293489971.431588 PostsRegistered 3/8/2010

Try dermarolling, supposedly it can stimulate new growth. I's non invasive, and rely's on your body's own natural healing/growth process...better than potions and pills IMO

Sephy1293490333.463239 PostsRegistered 7/13/2008

You just need to buy some Bioten 5000mcg, one tablet a day. My hair was thinning and now it is back to how it was. I have been taken it everyday for about 8 months now.

You can buy this at any grocery store or drug store. It is with the vitamins. Good Luck

Lucky Charm1293490816.0776440 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

To the OP, please do not take iron supplements (even over the counter) till you spoke with your doctor first. You can really harm yourself by taking iron your body doesn't need.

My doctor told me a decade ago to take OTC iron when I bottomed out on iron. I was anemic. Once my iron/blood came back up, he told me to get off them. Not good, if you don't need it.

I remember losing a lot of hair back then, but somehow made it through okay when I rebounded out of anemia.

I did stop using shampoos with sulfates, although it seemed like I lost most hair during the conditioning/last rinse.

Now I'm having issues with my thryoid and am seeing a lot of hair during the last rinse again--UGH! Still not using sulfates. I am on thyroid medication. Hopefully that will help, although I just read that it may be a cause of hair loss. GREAT!! REALLY JUST GREAT!

Life's a beach!

irishwoman1293490925.7872168 PostsRegistered 3/23/2006

Well, this is so odd to see right now!

I went to a christmas party at my sisters,and i was talking about my hair thinning,and she replied..dont you think its your age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was angry and mad at her for that..but, she may be right!

Iam 63,and in the last year,it has devastated me to no end!!!

Just yesterday,i was telling my hubs i was going to check this all out!!!

I too have thyroid issues myself.

I have lost hair in the past due to thyroid changes,but this is different somehow..

I do take vitimens,and omega 3s....

So, my first place will be my endoctrain doctor next week, check my levels and see,then onto a derm doc to check other levels to see what my body may be missing to cause this,,,if they come back all ok,then its up to me to accept the fact,its due to my age!!!!!!!

ugg!!!

depressing!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.crying}

please keep us all posted about what you may find to help!!!!

bren

hyacinth0031293491007.86668 PostsRegistered 11/8/2005

If your iron level is low, it may contribute to thinning hair. I know it can be hard on the stomach, and constipating, but you can get around those side effects. What if it is the reason for your thinning hair?

Perhaps you should seek the advice of a dermatologist and get an answer.

Hyacinth

cutty1293492459.5171 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
I was on a rx iron pill, but it didn't agree with me.

Lucky Charm1293492616.0936440 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008

Of course getting medical attention/advise is the most important thing we can do, and I believe we should let our drs. and derms know what else we are doing to help our hair along (lotions, potions, herbs, etc.).

I think my doctor is more concerned about adjusting hormone levels, than me having a thick head of hair. Too bad these levels don't give me thin thighs!

There are several things I do to 'baby' my hair.

I get it professionally colored monthly, but have stopped the highlights. They still 'shine thru' eventually anyway and add the depth I like. H/L hair is stripped so it appears really thin to begin with....Don't need that right now.

I always leave the salon wet. I'm not going to get my hair blown dry from dripping wet to on-fire dry. Too much stress on my hair. When I blow dry at home, I always wait about 30 mins. before I hand tossle it dry. I may use a styling brush for the sides. My hair is about 5-6 inches below my shoulders. It wants to be curly, so that's the only reason I blow it out -- to straighten. Otherwise, I air dry and go wavy all day.

I wash my hair every other morning. I don't need to wash it every day, but it doesn't like to be dirty either. So you can practically set your watch to the hour that it needs to be washed.

I use a wide toothed comb always when I comb it. A round boars bristle brush when I am blow drying. Never ceramic. I never pull the brush down (like I used to!). I just hold it for a second to get the desired stye.

I don't use the high setting on my hair dryer. If the air coming out of dryer is too hot for the back of my hand, it's too hot for my hair.

I'd love to hear anyone else's suggestions!

Life's a beach!

Lucky Charm1293492698.3376440 PostsRegistered 2/29/2008
On 12/27/2010 cutty said: I was on a rx iron pill, but it didn't agree with me.

Not to be too graphic, the pill I took had a 'softener' in it. No problems on that end.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Life's a beach!

PuppyBreath1293493004.47718676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

I take Flintstone Complete. Very easy on the tummy. They have more iron that Flintstone with Iron. Go figure. Anyway, I was severly anemic last year, and had 3 transfusions. Now, 1 year later I have all my hair back! Plus, it is curlier than ever.

Puppy

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

closetQVCg­irl1293493317.3771280 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009

Sorry you are experiencing such pain over this issue. I have no idea whether this stuff works, but here in L.A. our talk radio is bombarded with this commercial to the point that I immediately thought of it when I read your post. Good advertising, eh?

http://www.ovationhair.com/

Anybody who has tried it feel free to add more info, good or bad. If I were having hair loss, I would probably give it a shot. As many said, discuss this with your doctor, but many women do have problems with thinning hair. Good luck.

40thpony1293493966.42379 PostsRegistered 9/16/2010

My dermatologist told me to take 5000mcg of Biotin twice a day. I've been taking the Andrew Lessman hair vitamins supplemented with an additional 2000mcg Biotin in the morning and I take 5000mcg Biotin with dinner.

I haven't been doing this more than a few weeks so I can't tell yet if its making a difference.

UMTerpFan1293494144.3671750 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010
On 12/27/2010 firestripes said:

I do have ferritin iron levels that are around 26 - which is low but I don't want to take iron pills, or alot of extra vitamins if my hair won't get thicker.

I am anemic and have issues taking iron and my doctor recommends Slow FE iron supplements. I also recommend Biotin, B & D vitamins, and Omega 3, 6 & 9. I also take Andrew Lessman's viatmins for Healthy Hair Skin & Scalp (HSN). I am also borderline thyroid and am on the lowest dose of Lyvoxyl. I agree with the others here about finding gentle products for the hair. I also recommend WEN's Tee Tree oil. Sally Beauty also sells a product called Excelsior Scalp Treatment that might help. Good luck!

Rowdymom1293494729.95313101 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA

If you are peri/post menopausal, please do not take Iron without your physician's input. Once we lose that "monthly blood loss", excess iron can store in our livers. I took prenatals for years and didn't stop to think when I became perimenopausal and my periods became irregular. My Ferritin level was sky high and I wound up being checked for Hemachromatosis. They even wanted to do a laparoscopic liver biopsy. When the surgeon took my history, he was the one that asked about oral iron supplements. I stopped them for three months, my levels returned to normal and I was able to avoid the biopsy!

Dr Taub used to always stress that the senior formulas do not include iron for that reason.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

colson1293495174.4637438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

Vitamins are nice, but they are also to a certain extent hype if you expect them to stop critical thinning hair issues. Once your doctor has ruled out other things, ask about women's rogaine and such, which is available over the counter. Meanwhile, a course of Nioxin scalp therapies and shampoos really helps, too - did great for me and i never advanced on to the rogaine - so far, don't need it.

Last edited on 12/27/2010

Last edited on 12/27/2010

cutty1293496207.353171 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
I get my period every month. My ferritin was 24. I just had blood work done.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next