Fashion & Accessories Clearance
81 Members and 11670 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Peri-menopause/menopause and Hair Changes

Started 1292961803.483 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1293221571.19 by Subject

I'll be 52 in Feb., and have not had any regular cycles in the past year. (Skip month, then ok, then skip a couple). I've also notice in the last couple months, I get really warm every now and then - like I've been working out. (And, I'm always cold).

Couple weeks ago, went to my hairdresser. (Usually every 6-8 for root touch ups/trim). She asked what was up with my hair. Has changed since the last time. She says I'm not losing any, but the texture is totally different. I have below shoulder length, long layers. I have a LOT of hair, and it has kind of a wave, fine-medium. I've used WEN for 3 years. In the last month, I started the Remoist treatments, weekly. I've noticed my hair seems rather limp in the last month or more. I asked if it could be product, worried about my WEN! She said no, the texture was different. I haven't had color run thru it in months, but she said that wasn't it. She kept asking if I was under stress, or any thyroid problems. Had just seen the Dr. for my yearly, and he had mentioned all ok, even thyroid. (I didn't know he even ckd that). She thinks it may be either stress, or menopause. Great. I didn't realize I could have hair issues. What kind of changes am I in for with my hair? What have any of you other ladies noticed?

Pets are blessings in fur.

Page 1 of 2
reypeg1292964839.81717 PostsRegistered 12/21/2010

{#emotions_dlg.blush}Welcome to menopause. I noticed a gradual change as well. Loss of body and shine.

(I chose not to do hormone replacemen). I also stared to experience a slight change in texture to my skin. Enlarged pores. Nothing horrible. On the plus side, my mood mellowed quite a bit.

cassiem1292965593.7876660 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I went through menopause in my early 40's and noticed a total difference in my hair. Definitely thinner with a loss of body and shine. I've had to walk the fine line of needing deep conditioner because my hair is dry and not using things that are so heavy they weigh my hair down.

I can't use Wen because of the menthol, but when I was using it, I found it worked better for my hair if I watered it down, otherwise it made my hair really limp. I'm having very good luck with the Alterna caviar line.

I also found out that a good cut is important! Too many layers and it looks like my hair is really thin, not enough and my hair is limp and flat.

RedTop1292965685.9374197 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

Sadly, menopause affects everything, due to the depletion of estrogen. The texture change with your hair is just the beginning; there may even be some thinning issues. I know people who had medium length hair, who now have very short styles, due to thinning issues and menopause. Your skin becomes drier. The heat surges and sweats begin. Weight gain. Mood changes. Increased risk for heart attack, since you no longer have the protection of estrogen. I chose a low dose form of hormone replacement, which have made the last five years more bearable.

Hearts4Me1292965908.8871591 PostsRegistered 9/27/2005

I had a both my ovaries removed in 2007 (along with a hysterectomy), and my hair immediately changed due to the drastic loss of estrogen.

It's now very, very thin, strangely textured, and just ugly in general. I seriously don't know what I am going to do...can't take any hormones...vitamins have been useless.

This is so unbelievably depressing that I can't even put the feeling into words.

Buck-i-Nana1292966253.0637355 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007South West Ohio

Yup, welcome to menopause.

I have very thick hair, but it lost a lot of it's oomph and holding power since menopause. I actually use the Ojon hydrating thickening shampoo and conditioner and that seems to ensure the body and staying power.

Skin changes too, yup. For me, it was my forehead. The skin seemed to suddenly get thicker and leathery. I have found using my clarisonic, and strivectin have turned that around for me.

Goodness, I sound like a QVC advertiser here! Before I use the strivectin, which I use on my forehead and checkbones only, I do use Wei East Herbal Advanced cleanser, serums and moisturizers (that other shopping channel).

Enjoying my retirement 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NOT invisible anymore, so get over it! I'm not gonna disappear :)

jujube1292966487.742699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

I am 49 and peri and the first thing i noticed which got me to to the dr. to check my blood was the change in my gorgeous thick hair. it was breaking, thinning and dry, totally different. i had no idea what i was in store for with menopause. its awful. i cannot believe that women have to live this way without more options available to help us. if this happened to men, there would be alot more things to help im sure. the hair thing is devastating. the skin drying up and shriveling is the next devastating thing.

Love me, love my cats:)

k9pia1292966630.4971391 PostsRegistered 12/13/2007

thanks for the replies.

Wow, I didn't think my hair would have issues. It's almost like it's reverted back to what it was BEFORE I ever colored it, limp and stringy. The last couple of years I was really happy with it too. I don't want to take anything unless I absolutely had to. I will try watering down my WEN. I may have to switch up "flavors" too.

At least I know I'm not alone!

Pets are blessings in fur.

teainlondon1292967034.261035 PostsRegistered 10/13/2007

ITA with all the changes, especially hair. I had thick, thick, glistening hair until the M years. Now, thin, scrawny, puny hair. I go to the salon and get color and body, and it stays okay for a while and then I'm back there again--dull, straw, washed out. The whole bodyis off balance, but that's what happens. I get so depressed, but that's the way it goes. My Dr. doesn't help, he says, "Well getting older means changes." I'd like to clobber him! I know he's right, but, it doesn't make it easier.

Still looking for the Fountain of Youth!

tea

bmorechick1292967083.37709 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007

ooooh, this doesn't sound good. i'm 55 but my periods still run regularly & have not changed at all (thank you, thank you). but i guess i'd be peri-menopausal due to age?? the only thing i have noticed is that i have grown my short hair out this past year & lo and behold, it's gotten thicker and more wavy. and i love it. the same thing happened to my mom and dad. they are in their 80's and my dad has to have the barber thin his hair out (???) and my mom's hairdresser must do the same for her. please tell me it's all in the genes!

RedTop1292967130.934197 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

Hearts4Me,

Based on what you said about the current condition of your hair, my suggestion is to try the Mane and Tail shampoo. Years ago, my SIL went through a major situation in her life which was extremely stressful, causing her hair to get dry and brittle, break off, and thinned down to a level she was embarrassed about. She started using the Mane and Tail shampoo, and within several months, her hair issues resolved themselves, and in about six months total, she had her full, thick, head of hair back. This product is available at Walmart, and most drug stores.

hippiegirl1292967254.3871582 PostsRegistered 9/29/2009Seattle/Kirkland

Eegads. What a depressing thread. I'm 49 and pre/perimenopausal. I'd like to hear from some women out there who passed through menopause with nary a problem. I don't mind dealing with a hot flash now and again, but drastic changes in hair and skin ... Does this really happen to everyone?

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."
Anne Frank

Zoologist1292967358.276013 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

Yes, hormone changes = thyroid changes = maybe need some Synthroid meds.

Also, try B-12 complex pills (OTC).

Also, I LOVE John Freida hair products. They really keep my post-meno hair looking great.

Nellie B1292968265.3172692 PostsRegistered 4/11/2009
On 12/21/2010 hippiegirl said:

Eegads. What a depressing thread. I'm 49 and pre/perimenopausal. I'd like to hear from some women out there who passed through menopause with nary a problem. I don't mind dealing with a hot flash now and again, but drastic changes in hair and skin ... Does this really happen to everyone?

Nary a problem: once in awhile a 'flash' but very minor, no one knew except for me. I did not notice a change in my complexion. My hair thinned recently, and Guess What????!!!, I stopped using WEN and my hair started to fill in again.

I knew my hair issue was something external to me: my 87 soon to be 88 year old mother has a whopping full head of hair. She, however, went through the real sweats. One time I had to meet her near Bergdorf in February during snowflurries. She had her minkcoat on her arm, sweat was coming through her blouse and pouring down her face, but she too never had complexion changes or hair loss.

I sailed through.....

ibb381292968343.8711841 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'm 52 and going through 'stuff' ... but my hair change has been welcomed! It used to be thick unruly curly (like Roseanne Rosanadana!) - it's a softer curl now. I can't jsut get any haircut though- the layers have to be jsut right for the curl to pop naturally. Otherwise it's product - & work!- that brings them out. I'm so accustomed to air drying for the best look! On really hot days the old hair re emerges- I look like I got a perm!! I condition it every day- whether I'm cleaning it or just doing the conditioning only method. It can't get enough hydration... I use Wen 2x a week (anymore than that results in hair loss)- plus alternate with other high quality hair care products like Ojon ultra hydrating, tawaka products (for now anyway... unless the harvest magically reappears!), Carol's Daughter (love her smoothies!)

Other changes? Every bit of weight gain goes to the middle. But weight loss doesn't necessarily go there!! {#emotions_dlg.mad} Part of my middle may be due to reoccuring cysts in one ovary; they're supposed to go away on their own but mine aren't. I'm having it removed in February.

snowleopard1292968499.9971089 PostsRegistered 4/12/2008

Nope, hippiegirl, it really doesn't happen to everyone. I'm 52, still in peri, and haven't had a single hot flash, no weight gain, no hair loss or other hair problems, etc. My skin is a little drier than it was in my youth, but nothing out of the ordinary. My mom also breezed through it all. My doc believes that a mix of both genes and lifestyle choices have everything to do with it. I eat a very healthy diet (have for years), and exercise every single day. My friends (and a sibling) who don't eat well and are sedentary are suffering many icky peri symptoms, so I know my doc must be onto something there.

Coke Zero ­Addict1292968653.2631360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010

My hair went from somewhat wavy to a whole head full of curls, corkscrew curls like I had when I was 5. I had to spend some time learning the manage them but at least I am not loosing hair. My mom and grandmother had real thinning, so curls are not a bad alternative.

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

hippiegirl1292968682.9831582 PostsRegistered 9/29/2009Seattle/Kirkland

Thank you, Nellie B and snowleopard, for calming my fears a bit.

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."
Anne Frank

jujube1292975084.5132699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

hippiegirl, it doesnt happen to everyone and it isnt so terrible for me. I just dont like that i am changing, its a scary feeling not having control over your body. My mom never had this, neither does my sister who is just a few years younger than me. I am figuring out ways to counter all this nonsense and there are things that help me. so the dry skin is at bay right now and my hair is growing back and looks ok again. dont stress over this, there are ways to fix it, i promise.

Love me, love my cats:)

hyacinth0031292975579.666420 PostsRegistered 11/8/2005

My hair was truly my "crowning glory." It was thick, wavy, and shiny. People would stop me freqently and compliment it and its color (dark brown with lots of red).

Over the past several years, it has become thinner, straighter, and duller. My stylist tells me that gray has a different texture, so even coloring it doesn't eliminate that texture.

I still have pretty good hair compared to some, but not what it was.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

kal1292978348.152436 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

I'm your age, going through menopause, a several year wen user. I noticed earlier this month when the temperature dropped that my skin and hair dried out and my hair looked flat. I've adjusted and am back to normal now.

Maybe your stylist is noticing your hair feels drier? You could always try the ojon restorative treatment. I alternate that with remoist. Or start taking a flaxseed oil capsule or evening primrose oil.

Last edited on 12/21/2010

Spunkyspou­ts1292987189.5836996 PostsRegistered 11/19/2008miami

TRY THIS

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=78298

i HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT IT, IT S-U-C-K-S BIGTIME.

My body changes temps all day long from one extreme to the other, I am a beleiver and you would not even want to hear what I have to say to HIM about all this!

I might add I still pass for being much younger but its more about how you feel, I did gain weight but I was always very thin, my hair isnt gray, it is still naturally dark, my skin looks unwrinkled. Its more of an inner change, you have to really fight to hold on to what was effortless I guess.

rebel1293025764.625440 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

i agree that if men had to go through this, we would have more alternatives than to "just deal with it"!!!

i have been told by my gyno that i may be peri men.

i can tell you that when my thyroid med was increased, many of my perimen symptoms went away! my hair isn't as dry and dead looking, my periods have become regular every month too.

and no more hormonal headaches!

it's great that we can share and help each other through these types of issues.

sometimes it helps to know that you aren't the only one going through something!

45, Fair, dry, sensitive skin, DSPW, yellow and neutral undertones, Cannot use "cones" high in ingred. deck, natural blonde wavy hair, blue eyes

Hearts4Me1293026305.911591 PostsRegistered 9/27/2005
On 12/21/2010 RedTop said:

Hearts4Me,

Based on what you said about the current condition of your hair, my suggestion is to try the Mane and Tail shampoo. Years ago, my SIL went through a major situation in her life which was extremely stressful, causing her hair to get dry and brittle, break off, and thinned down to a level she was embarrassed about. She started using the Mane and Tail shampoo, and within several months, her hair issues resolved themselves, and in about six months total, she had her full, thick, head of hair back. This product is available at Walmart, and most drug stores.

RedTop:

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I could give it a try! I'm just pretty much convinced, however, that it's an 'inside' problem that needs HRT, but I cannot take them due to a bad family history of blood clots/breast cancer.

I just never EVER though we females would face hair loss issues...boy, did I learn differently.

ok4ablonde21293026312.2378837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Hippiegirl, I'm 57 and I haven't had the problems the others are having. I don't even know what a hot flash is, and my hair and skin haven't changed. I did have some hair loss a few years ago because my thyroid level was off. Now I'm on Armour and all is well. It's easy to gain weight though, and hard to lose. I'm not completely though menopause yet, I still have a period about 2 times a year. Every time I have another I think, oh darnit, now I have to go another year without one for this to be over with completely.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

UMTerpFan1293106712.471625 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010
On 12/21/2010 kal said:

I'm your age, going through menopause, a several year wen user. I noticed earlier this month when the temperature dropped that my skin and hair dried out and my hair looked flat. I've adjusted and am back to normal now.

Maybe your stylist is noticing your hair feels drier? You could always try the ojon restorative treatment. I alternate that with remoist. Or start taking a flaxseed oil capsule or evening primrose oil.

For dry skin & hair, I've really noticed a difference when I'm taking Omega Oils vs when I don't, especially with my skin. I'd also suggest adding Omega 3, 6 & 9 too.

Page 1 of 2