Weekend Preview
144 Members and 10564 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Pics - my Shellac manicure

Started 1292784154.483 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1292812323.463 by azqfan

I've seen lots of threads here about the Shellac gel manicure. I do my own - I know a cosmetogolist and she sold me the UV lamp and supplies and so I do my own. It is a gel coating over your real nail, but you do not file down, scuff up or damage your real nail like acrylics do. I just did mine this morning, so here is a pic. I did not add any of the Shellac brand color. I did one coat of the pink gel nail laquer that I bought from Ulta - made by Orly - called Beverly Hills Manicure and the color is called "Beverly Hills Plum". The orly polish was only like $7 from Ulta (compared to A80642 sold here which is $29).

Anyway - for those curious - here are pics of my nails with the shellac and gel color polish. I am not a professional, but I am getting better at doing my own! (I may redo the middle finger with the gel color - it looks a little sloppy).

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/chesirekat/nails/IMG_1758.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/chesirekat/nails/IMG_1761.jpg

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 1
manicshopp­er1292784289.252828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land

I'm also noticing that in the picture the undersides of the nail look sloppy too but that is sort of the excess polish that comes off and clears away after a couple of hand washes. I put polish and the shellac on the nail tip and sort of under as well.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

lulu21292797474.4921482 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

I had Shellac done at the salon. It is my understanding that the CND Shellac polish is not the same as regular polish. If they only used a special topcoat and lamp, they would be able to use any polish. One of the problems with Shellac is that there is a limited number of colors. Using Orly polish with a lamp is not the same as a Shellac manicure.

I misread, and thought you said this was a French manicure.

Last edited on 12/19/2010

manicshopp­er1292805856.5372828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land

No, I didn't just do the Orly polish with a lamp.

I have all the Shellac supplies and did the whole Shellac process with the UV base and UV top coats under the lamp, I just didn't do the Shellac color today, but instead used the Orly over the Shellac when I was done.

But Lulu you are right - the shellac colors are part of the nail process and not the same as regular polish. The amount of colors for the actual shellac process is very limited, so my plan is to just paint over the top with whatever color I like. I think the idea behind the shellac colors is that it has maximum staying power since it is a part of the gel process and won't chip or wear off. However what I did this time was skip the shellac color, and just opted for an extra layer of the UV Base coat and extra UV top coat so that I had good thickness to the gel, and then added my own color on the top (being the pink gel for now).

I know what you are talking about with regard to the french mani - I didn't do the white smiley part; I don't think I could do that and get it straight so I didn't do the full on french. I just decided to coat over the top with the pink gel, so it is sort of a semi-french {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I do like the look of a good french manicure, so I think what I will do is when I want that look - I'll do the shellac part myself minus any shellac color, then go to a salon and have them do the french pink and white part.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

pjoy1292806028.2471573 PostsRegistered 7/27/2005

This is not a Shellac manicure. You might have used a UV dryer, but did you use Shellac polish by CND??? You show the Orly product in your picture, but that's worth about $7, when the Shellac bottom and top coat cost twice or triple that depending on where you buy it. I'm adding this out because I've posted a lot in the last couple days about my first Shellac manicure, which coincidentally, I've been unhappy with. Don't want fellow posters to think this is the same as what I had done.

manicshopp­er1292806993.682828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land

Yes - this is a Shellac manicure! I only used the Orly gel coat over the top of the Shellac process. I have all the Shellac products from CND, with the UV light, with the CND Scrub Fresh nail santizer, etc. They come in brown bottles, and I have about 4 of the Shellac colors that I don't particularly care for.

The only part not Shellac is the Orly coat I used on the top to get the reddish pink color.

With regard to the Orly - I only wanted to point out that you can buy the Orly pink gel over coat for cheap compared to the product sold on the Q. I did not mean to imply that the Shellac products are only $7.

So to be clear - The "Shellac" part is not cheap. The Orly gel coat for those who want a color similar to the product sold on the Q (item number A80642) for the redish pink gel color is the cheap part. Sorry my pics are confusing.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

manicshopp­er1292807512.922828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land

I was going to edit my opening post and get rid of the picture with the bottle of orly, but I can't. Sorry - didn't mean to mislead anyone.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

OCGurl1292808394.557534 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 12/19/2010 manicshopper said:

mani - I didn't do the white smiley part; I don't think I could do that and get it straight so I didn't do the full on french. I just decided to coat over the top with the pink gel, so it is sort of a semi-french {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I do like the look of a good french manicure, so I think what I will do is when I want that look - I'll do the shellac part myself minus any shellac color, then go to a salon and have them do the french pink and white part.

Hi manicshopper

if you go on you tube and type in french manicure there are all sorts of tutorials on how to do the white part. I have gotten pretty good at it on my own

one tip i learned is to roll the fingers under the brush (for the white tip)

OR

Place scotch tape over the nail, except the white tips and then paint over the tip and the tape, then pull off the tape when dry

:)

DebbieDD1292808951.8638109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004

Can you please explain why you would go through this process? No disrespect but it looks like a regular clean look you could get with just about any polish and with no dryers, special equipment, shellac, etc. I use duri rejuvacote as a base, two coats of polish and top with seche vite for a perfect manicure that last 7-10 days. TIA

manicshopp­er1292810079.772828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
On 12/19/2010 DebbieDD said:

Can you please explain why you would go through this process? No disrespect but it looks like a regular clean look you could get with just about any polish and with no dryers, special equipment, shellac, etc. I use duri rejuvacote as a base, two coats of polish and top with seche vite for a perfect manicure that last 7-10 days. TIA

This is a good question!

My natural nails are pretty thin, tear/break easily, and never get very long, so without something substantial over them they never get long or look very nice. I wore acrylics for 15+ years, until last year - I got tired of having to go to the nail salon to have them done every 2 or 3 weeks, so I took off the acrylics and let them grow out. Since then I have really missed having a nice looking nail, and nail polish over my natural nail - well it just starts flaking off after a day or 2.

So when my cosmetologist friend had all the Shellac materials but could not use (she had an allergic reaction) she wanted to sell all the supplies and I purchased from her. Using the Shellac - my nails are protected from breakage and tearing, and hold nail polish for much longer, and just in general look better than they ever did with nothing but polish on top. It is much more cost effective that I do this on my own, and Shellac is not damaging to the natural nail, so I think this will work out well for me.

But I totally get why you would ask - believe me if I had strong natural nails - I would not go through all this! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

- Eleanor Roosevelt

manicshopp­er1292810126.7232828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land

OCgurl - thanks for the suggestions!!!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I am still­ oxox1292810457.4874418 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006North of NYC - the greatest city in the world

I am confused but I don't understand why she is considering this a shellac manicure, I have had the axxiumum which similar and the most important part of the process was the special color.

Decided to change up my SN a bit, and maybe this is a bit clearer :)

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

Citychic1292811365.733608 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

I have been getting shellac manicures for sometime now. The salon I visit started out with the CND, and now have changed to the Gellish brand. They told me they changed because of availability issues and some sort of recall. Never did understand the recall part, as I checked online and could not find any information about any recall on CND. (think they just told me that){#emotions_dlg.confused1} At any rate, the gellish does not seem much different to me than the CND, wear the same amount of time and does offer more colors. Although I do have to say, I really like fedora. I love the shellac manicures, and even though it is more costly, it is worth it to me for the 14 day wear. In fact, sometimes I can almost squeak 3 weeks if I have to, I most generally have a french manicure done, and only takes about 45 minutes and dry the minute they are done!

City

manicshopp­er1292811951.2072828 PostsRegistered 10/21/2009Never Never Land
On 12/19/2010 Usedtobeoxox said:

I am confused but I don't understand why she is considering this a shellac manicure, I have had the axxiumum which similar and the most important part of the process was the special color.

I consider this a shellac manicure because I used the Shellac products; I just didn't like any of the special colors so I elected to skip the color part and just have no color. I still have the coverage and strength over my natural nail to protect them - just no color.

Here is what I used: The UV Base and UV top coat - brown bottles on the left in the picture. PIC

I SKIPPED using any color (bottles on the right) because I did not want to use either color that I have, but I DID want my nails covered with gel coating to strengthen and protect my nails.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

azqfan1292812323.4633519 PostsRegistered 10/24/2004

Love, love, love the Harmony Gelish colors. I have an amazing Gelish mani done with two coats of Bella's Vampire and one of Good Gossip. Beautiful deep red sparkly nails. Like Ruby Slippers on steroids.

Page 1 of 1