Guaranteed Delivery
4 Members and 384 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How much (tip/gift $$) do u give your hair colorist/stylist for Christmas?

Started 1290671711.837 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1291780891.04 by newschick
I tip all year long, but am always curious what ladies do for their hair stylist for a Christmas gift. I've found that $$ seems to be most appreciated, but how much? Is $100 a good amount or too much? Or depends on how much you spend for your color & cut? Thanks! Anxious to read what everyone does & feels is appropriate!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
kiddo1290672295.9710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I have never given a gift nor an extra amount for a tip EVER... not even for Christmas.

They're not a friend that you trade gifts with at Christmas.

If they've done an extra good job, then they deserve a bigger tip than I normally give. But I haven't ever done that, for no other reason than they might expect that I give that amount of a larger tip every time they cut my hair.

Since you asked.. I get my hair cut at one of those drop-in places. The lady at the one that I drop into when I need a cut does a great job with my haircut. So I go to HER. If she's not working that day, then I ask which day in the next week she's scheduled to work. And that's when I go in to get my hair cut again.

If I tipped this stylist $100.. she'd probably just drop in shock!! They charge $14 for a haircut where I go. I go only every 8 or 10 weeks. So I spend no more than $100 a year for my hair to get cut, including tip.

I've never had my hair colored. Just a basic "shag" cut. Takes less than half an hour from the moment I sit down to when I get up to pay after she's done.

If I need only my bangs trimmed, then it's $5.

I walk in with clean hair. No shampooing there. Saves me time.

She'd "be okay" if I gave her a gift or cash at Christmas. She'd just be wondering WHY I had done so.

She'd be very shocked if I gave her a gift of any kind.. material or money. It's just not how it works there. I know this because I asked her this once.

Last edited on 11/25/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

StLExplorer1290690461.183636 PostsRegistered 1/1/2006St. Louis

I've been giving my female stylist a $50 Sephora gift card for Christmas the last few years, she seems very appreciative. I always consider cash, but have gone with the GC. I now go to a male stylist, so will either do cash or GC from somewhere...maybe a local wine store. GCs seem slighly more personal than cash, lets them buy a nice treat on me. I continue to tip the regular 20% for services at each appointment (i.e., not for any products I purchase.) I go to a mid-range trendy "concept" salon.

Just my opinions and how I've done things over the last few years.

Just to add...I get my hair cut and colored every 4 (usually) weeks so I have very regular contact with my stylist.

Skylands1290695303.8536609 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010
On 11/25/2010 mujunkie said: I tip all year long, but am always curious what ladies do for their hair stylist for a Christmas gift. I've found that $$ seems to be most appreciated, but how much? Is $100 a good amount or too much? Or depends on how much you spend for your color & cut? Thanks! Anxious to read what everyone does & feels is appropriate!

Give $100 to your stylist? I guess if you're swimming in cash? That's a lot of $$ to hand out! I regularly tip my stylist 20% year round. If I'm in during the holiday season I may add a little bit more. 20% is usally $20. I might add another $5. That's it!

Colorist, never! I've never had a colorist that does a great job! They are lucky to get %15% from me!!! When I did find a colorist that was truly great, I tipped 20%, which came to $60. It didn't get me any better results. In fact they became complacent, and stopped doing great work! I quit going and now am only tipping 15%.

Deb7771290695860.3636929 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005
On 11/25/2010 skylands said:
On 11/25/2010 mujunkie said: I tip all year long, but am always curious what ladies do for their hair stylist for a Christmas gift. I've found that $$ seems to be most appreciated, but how much? Is $100 a good amount or too much? Or depends on how much you spend for your color & cut? Thanks! Anxious to read what everyone does & feels is appropriate!

Give $100 to your stylist? I guess if you're swimming in cash? That's a lot of $$ to hand out! I regularly tip my stylist 20% year round. If I'm in during the holiday season I may add a little bit more. 20% is usally $20. I might add another $5. That's it!

Colorist, never! I've never had a colorist that does a great job! They are lucky to get %15% from me!!! When I did find a colorist that was truly great, I tipped 20%, which came to $60. It didn't get me any better results. In fact they became complacent, and stopped doing great work! I quit going and now am only tipping 15%.

I would never give a 100 dollar gift to my stylist, They already charge me 180 for the cut/color. I was going to give my hairdresser that coach/EL gift as a gift, but my hub and daughter said dont give it to her LOL.

I just give an extra tip if its around Christmas time... I dont feel really fantastic when I leave the salon so I dont do anything extra special for my hairdresser.

Plus she tells someone else to trim it and dry it the last time I was there. So no special treatment from her or me.

Deb

:)

caramels231290695998.87714861 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

I tip 20% all year...which is $20. At Christmas I give her a card w/$20 in it.

Iwantcoffee1290696056.562856 PostsRegistered 11/28/2006

If you tip all year a Christmas gift isn't necessary. I think if you do give a gift, cash is the way to go. Most recommend the cost of one visit.

For me $100.00 would be way to much, I cannot spend that much on my mom.

swissmiss1290703801.3532226 PostsRegistered 10/3/2005

I tip my stylist $40 each time which is every 8 weeks (20%)--I up it a bit at Christmas to $60 or so. She does seem to appreciate cash, although she would graciously accept any gift.

Fifi11290704284.3774773 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
On 11/25/2010 swissmiss said:

I tip my stylist $40 each time which is every 8 weeks (20%)--I up it a bit at Christmas to $60 or so. She does seem to appreciate cash, although she would graciously accept any gift.

Sister-Swiss - The SAME here!!! Although at holiday time I usually give her a $50 bill in a card attached to a nice bottle of WA wine, in addition to her regular tip. She does a great job and is always objective yet honest and I appreciate her much!

Off to get the turkey in the oven - it's cold out and the snow is afallin'~ so pretty!

luvshopp1290704532.537440 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

I read this thread and thought about it....first of all, I never give extra at Christmas. I go to one of those salons that charge enough for a cut (I go there because they do a great job on my hair and I've never had that in the past) and I tip when I get my cut. I began to think about why I would give a gift to my stylist.....and came to the conclusion that it is a job, I don't get tips at my job, their tips throughout the year certainly add up and I know my stylist and the crew there make more than I do. Remember, this is just my opinion and my decision, doesn't mean that others feel the same and that's great. I just don't know what makes it so different that I would feel the need to give her extra at Christmas.

esmerelda1290704671.4514409 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

What if she owns the shop...give a Christmas gift/tip?

More info from the survey I referred to the other day on the housekeeper tip thread. Of the respondents, 48% tipped the hairdresser/stylist ($20).

Nothing fuels bravery more than the lack of the will to live. ~Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932: A Novel (Francine Prose)

qvcaddition1290705442.985863 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007

Reg. tip and she is the owner, which you never use to tip owner.

I was giving her gifts for B-D, but you know what, she never in all the years acknowledged mine. She also is the only one who changes my time or day during the year. If I try to cancel for another day because something important came up, she doesn't have room.

I am going one month right now because she was sick. Now that is OK, but reschulde me. The way she does the nails though, you don't see the outgrow.

So you see, the tip or gifts don't work with her because she doesn't have class. I would go to another and am looking, but I'm trying to give someone born in the good old US of A business.

Maybe I should try someone from another country.

I would like to add after reading some of the post here about the huge amount of tips, Why? I'm not critizing anyone, but it seems like you are being charged a huge amount anyway and 20% on top of the amount. I give 20%, but it amounts to five dollars. No offense, just curious.

Way back in the day, the hairdresser didn't get tips. I know, I know, a long time ago. My grandmother paid 10 dollars for a permenant and the operator, that's what they were called, got 10 dollars. Funny, the per. was out of a box, that cost around 1 dollar, so there was the profit. No fancy stuff. Just some information, I know we have progressed, but so has the huge cost and all the fancy stuff.

millieshops1290705801.45715508 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I generally double my usual 20% tip, rounding that up to the nearest $5.00.

brava41290706111.8271940 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005Northern Virginia
On 11/25/2010 luvshopp said:

I read this thread and thought about it....first of all, I never give extra at Christmas. I go to one of those salons that charge enough for a cut (I go there because they do a great job on my hair and I've never had that in the past) and I tip when I get my cut. I began to think about why I would give a gift to my stylist.....and came to the conclusion that it is a job, I don't get tips at my job, their tips throughout the year certainly add up and I know my stylist and the crew there make more than I do. Remember, this is just my opinion and my decision, doesn't mean that others feel differently and that's great. I just don't know what makes it so different that I would feel the need to give her extra at Christmas.

Amen to that!! I totally agree. I tip well throughout the whole year.

Why can't my stylist give me a free cut for my gift???? Plus, mine owns the salon... enough!!

"Man is not the lord of all the world's animals. He is the protector" \

luvshopp1290706562.86440 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007
On 11/25/2010 brava4 said:
On 11/25/2010 luvshopp said:

I read this thread and thought about it....first of all, I never give extra at Christmas. I go to one of those salons that charge enough for a cut (I go there because they do a great job on my hair and I've never had that in the past) and I tip when I get my cut. I began to think about why I would give a gift to my stylist.....and came to the conclusion that it is a job, I don't get tips at my job, their tips throughout the year certainly add up and I know my stylist and the crew there make more than I do. Remember, this is just my opinion and my decision, doesn't mean that others feel the same and that's great. I just don't know what makes it so different that I would feel the need to give her extra at Christmas.

Amen to that!! I totally agree. I tip well throughout the whole year.

Why can't my stylist give me a free cut for my gift???? Plus, mine owns the salon... enough!!

Good point brava4!! After all, it's us that keep them in business, they should be giving us a gift, LOL! The other thing I did not like at all is I used to get my cuts from the owner and she accepted tips!

Subject1290706645.56711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I tip good all year round. They charge too much. I give zip extra other than just my normal good tip. Usually 25%

busygirl1290707730.792178 PostsRegistered 5/24/2007

The last thing I need to do is add my hair dresser to my list at Christmas time. I pay for the services I receive and that says it all to me.

Deb7771290709793.826929 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005

Rooney11290714123.8335851 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007White Mountains - Northeastern Arizona

I always give a generous tip for services. I don't give separately on the holidays.

Daysdee1290725516.82719227 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 11/25/2010 scribo said:

I have never given a gift nor an extra amount for a tip EVER... not even for Christmas.

They're not a friend that you trade gifts with at Christmas.

If they've done an extra good job, then they deserve a bigger tip than I normally give. But I haven't ever done that, for no other reason than they might expect that I give that amount of a larger tip every time they cut my hair.

Since you asked.. I get my hair cut at one of those drop-in places. The lady at the one that I drop into when I need a cut does a great job with my haircut. So I go to HER. If she's not working that day, then I ask which day in the next week she's scheduled to work. And that's when I go in to get my hair cut again.

If I tipped this stylist $100.. she'd probably just drop in shock!! They charge $14 for a haircut where I go. I go only every 8 or 10 weeks. So I spend no more than $100 a year for my hair to get cut, including tip.

I've never had my hair colored. Just a basic "shag" cut. Takes less than half an hour from the moment I sit down to when I get up to pay after she's done.

If I need only my bangs trimmed, then it's $5.

I walk in with clean hair. No shampooing there. Saves me time.

She'd "be okay" if I gave her a gift or cash at Christmas. She'd just be wondering WHY I had done so.

She'd be very shocked if I gave her a gift of any kind.. material or money. It's just not how it works there. I know this because I asked her this once.

I go to an inexpensive place too. They did just raise the prices for color though. I tip every week even though it isn't large amount. I also go every week without fail so she can count on my business. I was giving larger tip at Christmas with a small gift. She always thanks for the gift, but never mentions anything about it the next week after she has opened it. I may just make it easy and increase the Christmas tip and not give a gift. I don't give a gift to nail person (only go for pedis), but give a larger tip around Christmas. When I had a housekeeper, I did give a Christmas gift--either cash or a gift or both.

hairslinger1290733024.92246 PostsRegistered 1/24/2009
On 11/25/2010 qvcaddition said:

Reg. tip and she is the owner, which you never use to tip owner.

I was giving her gifts for B-D, but you know what, she never in all the years acknowledged mine. She also is the only one who changes my time or day during the year. If I try to cancel for another day because something important came up, she doesn't have room.

I am going one month right now because she was sick. Now that is OK, but reschulde me. The way she does the nails though, you don't see the outgrow.

So you see, the tip or gifts don't work with her because she doesn't have class. I would go to another and am looking, but I'm trying to give someone born in the good old US of A business.

Maybe I should try someone from another country.

I would like to add after reading some of the post here about the huge amount of tips, Why? I'm not critizing anyone, but it seems like you are being charged a huge amount anyway and 20% on top of the amount. I give 20%, but it amounts to five dollars. No offense, just curious.

Way back in the day, the hairdresser didn't get tips. I know, I know, a long time ago. My grandmother paid 10 dollars for a permenant and the operator, that's what they were called, got 10 dollars. Funny, the per. was out of a box, that cost around 1 dollar, so there was the profit. No fancy stuff. Just some information, I know we have progressed, but so has the huge cost and all the fancy stuff.

FYI that perm may have only cost $1, you are paying for her experience and ability to correctly process it for the clients specific needs, which you were most likely unqualified to perform at home. Im almost sure that would also have included a haircut, set and style. Just saying...... and "yes" I am a hairdresser

Kindaglitzy1290733565.7434432 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I regularly tip 20%, so for Christmas she gets an average tip that I give her during the year which is $$. $$$ is way to much imo, unless you have excess cash in your pocket to spend.

abbeythe8th1290733633.114299 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

I give a crisp $50 bill to both the girl who cuts and colrs my hair and the girl who does my manis and pedis.

glmama1290737861.61320400 PostsRegistered 12/8/2006

I've always heard that if you are able, you should leave an amount equal (or greater then, of course) the price of your service. I tip my stylist $50 at Christmas. And I actually should be tipping him more now that I get my hair colored, too. But I've sort of stuck to the $50.

Over 40. Dark hair. Fair, with mild-moderate Rosacea. Finicky skin. Did I mention--Gorgeous? ;)

september1290738124.2318144 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

I tip every time I go in. If it's close to Christmas, I'll give a slightly larger tip. I don't buy a gift or gift card. I just add it in when I'm writing out my check.

Hildegarde­ Withers1290739167.6723498 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008
On 11/25/2010 busygirl said:

The last thing I need to do is add my hair dresser to my list at Christmas time. I pay for the services I receive and that says it all to me.

I agree!

Pretty soon people will be asking what to tip the cashiers & bag-gers at the grocery store. It's getting ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next