Better Than Black Friday
116 Members and 11696 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Best Hairdo for Thin, Fine Hair - Blunt Cut or Layered?

Started 1290279550.9 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1290385142.583 by babyb

Hi beauties,

I have very fine, thin blonde hair and struggle with finding a style that looks good, is easy to style and doesn't take forever to do. I have short hair (chin length) but don't really want anything super short... I like a little hair around the ears at least.

What style is best for adding volume... all one length blunt cut or layered?

Thanks,

iachick

Page 1 of 1
Irshgrl312­011290280310.9714824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

I used to be a cosmetologist years ago, now I am an esthetician. I personally (and many hairdressers agree) the best cut for fine thin hair is a stacked bob. It makes the hair look much thinker. It can also be called a graduated bob.

Irshgrl312­011290280339.94314824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Thicker not thinker, sorry!

Irshgrl312­011290280903.0914824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Not the graduated bob like Victoria beckham has. Although I think that would be fine for thin hair. I think fine hair looks best when cut into a blunt cut straight across. It gives the eye the illusion that the hair is thicker. I still cut my best friends hair like this. She has really fine and thin blonde hair. She used to keep it longer and get it really layered. It made her look like she had even less than she really did. I talked her into getting a bob, a little shorter than shoulder length. I cut it straight across then I held out her hair between 30-45 degrees and cut again. What that does is it stacks the hair when it falls. I hope this helps! BTW, she got so many compliments on her hair. It doesn't look thin anymore. She loves it!

Q-Tip Lady1290281090.8775309 PostsRegistered 10/13/2010
On 11/20/2010 irshgrl312 said:

I used to be a cosmetologist years ago, now I am an esthetician. I personally (and many hairdressers agree) the best cut for fine thin hair is a stacked bob. It makes the hair look much thinker. It can also be called a graduated bob.

stacked bob - what the h-e-l-l is that. Can you name someone famous that has a stacked bob? Jamie Lee Curtis - is that it?

thanks

Enufstuff1290281230.8171740 PostsRegistered 8/22/2008

Hi iachick,

Like you, I have thin, fine hair. It is actually babyfine. I am brunette. For years I wore a blunt cut all one length(chin length) bob with bangs and a side part. My hairdresser was after me to do something different, but I was afraid to change. After a couple of years, I said okay, do something different. He did some layering on top for a little height and volume (maybe about 4" long on top). It graduates in length and angles toward the back. By my temples, it is 5" long and the longest layers are 6" in back and by my jaw. The layering does give a little volume, which I was afraid that it would take away volume and make it look thinner. In the past four years since he created this cut for me, he has cut into the layers too deeply a couple of times and it looked too thin. I have to watch him and remind him exactly where not to cut. The back is long enough to hit my collar in the back and long enough to put into a little pony tail and stick on a little hairpiece for a bun like updo, on the days, I just don't have the time to do my hair in the morning before work. I still have the bangs and the side part. My bangs just angle back on the sides and blend into the layers. When I first got this newer cut, everyone complemented me on how much younger I look. A little mousse or a light weight root lifter

before blowdrying, helps with the volume and from looking too flat on top. With fine hair, as you know, it is hard to find hair products that don't weigh down your hair.I blowdry my hair under with a round brush.

This cut is just the opposite of what it seems everyone has been doing for the past few years. You must have seen the ones with the looong sides and the very short back. What's up with that. It has to be one of the stupidest looking "Do's" that I have seen in my 63 years. I had a cocker spaniel when I was growing upand when I see someone with those looong sides, all I can think of is cocker spaniel ears. My hairstyle may not be the latest trend, but it is very flattering and youthful. I just make sure that the sides are long enough to cover my less than firm jawline.BTW, my face shape is more round than oval.On the angled sides,I brush my hair forward toward my cheeks.Flattering and slimming to a round face. It is similar to the cut pictured, except that the longer sides that touch the shoulders are cut shorter on me and angled down towards the back.

Good luck. A great hairdresser can help you to find the perfect"Do" for your hair texture and face shape.

Last edited on 11/20/2010

Enufstuff1290281463.2871740 PostsRegistered 8/22/2008

My cut is probably what irshrl312 calls a stacked bob.

SweetWood ­Max1290281639.41312239 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 11/20/2010 GalaGal said:

stacked bob - what the h-e-l-l is that. Can you name someone famous that has a stacked bob? Jamie Lee Curtis - is that it?

thanks

A stacked bob is the cut where the hair is longer on the sides and it gets shorter and shorter as it gets to the back. It's angled so it is a sharp look. I have a "version" of that. I think the best thing for very fine hair is to keep it short. If it's kept long it has a tendency to look stringy.

Also known as Maxs-Grandma!

Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color

Irshgrl312­011290282110.33714824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

A stacked bob can vary so much. It can be what Victoria Beckham is sporting but that is really extreme. But if you look at the back of Victoria Beckhams hair you will understand what I mean by stacking. It is a graduated cut that hairdressers use to give your hair more thickness and body. To try to explain it is hard. I would google stacked bob or graduated bob. You can do it in a way (which is how I do to my BF) where is just looks like a normal bob that is straight across. I just graduate it a tiny bit and it makes the back look fuller. If you look at VB, hers is very extreme but the same principle. She wears her bangs (myBF) long and they sweep across her eyes. It looks very sexy and cute.

Irshgrl312­011290282330.78714824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

No, I am not talking about where the sides are longer. That is a VERSION but not the one I am talking about. I am talking more of a graduated bob. The sides are the same length as the back because I don't hold the hair out at a 90 degree angle when I cut it. I hold it at more of a 30 degree angle so instead of being really stacked like VB is (which is a good 2-3 inch stack, this is more of a 1/2 inch stack. But her version is great for fine hair too.

Irshgrl312­011290283172.2514824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Ok, I looked for pictures. If this doesn't post for some reason then google it (Nicole Ritchies bob). This is how I cut my best frieds hair, maybe a touch shorter. I graduate (which it looks like they have done to Nicoles hair as well) it just a touch at the bottom to make it appear thicker.

iachick1290284162.873103 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

Ok, I looked for pictures. If this doesn't post for some reason then google it (Nicole Ritchies bob). This is how I cut my best frieds hair, maybe a touch shorter. I graduate (which it looks like they have done to Nicoles hair as well) it just a touch at the bottom to make it appear thicker.

Thanks for your responses irshgirl!

BTW, how the heck did you attach a picture to your post... my "insert/edit" button is grayed out???

Maggie Nol­ia1290284553.6214669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

No layers ever -- never! Ask for "texturizing" of the ends of your hair.

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

Brabls1290285560.9314740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

ITA. Until my hair went curly, I always the the back in a stacked bob. I emperimented with the sides. But the back alwys looked good.

GoodStuff1290286076.63315480 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

My suggestion is that you work with a really good hairdresser to get the cut and style that is right for you and your hair. My hair is finer and thinner in my early 60's, and I prefer some layering. I think the layers lying on top of one another create volume and fullness, especially if you style with a blow dryer and round brush and use good volumizing products.

Irshgrl312­011290287789.41714824 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 11/20/2010 iachick said:

Thanks for your responses irshgirl!

BTW, how the heck did you attach a picture to your post... my "insert/edit" button is grayed out???

Lol!! It took me a hot minute to figure it out. I right clicked on my mouse and hit copy then I hit ctrl V and put it in the reply.

iachick1290379309.8773103 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008

My hair is probably considered baby fine and more like Sharon Stone's hair (although I don't look anything like Sharon Stone)! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I have an appt. this week to get a trim and highlights. I'm going to talk with my stylist to see what style she suggests for my hair type. Thanks again to all who responded.

Last edited on 11/21/2010

Last edited on 11/21/2010

babyb1290385142.5834681 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

My stylist has been point cutting my hair and it has made such a difference for me! I have fine hair, but lots of it, if that makes any sense at all.

Page 1 of 1