TSV(R) Preview
103 Members and 14306 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Botox, fillers, or retin-a...what's best for 11's and over-the-lip lines? Cost/effectiveness/pros/cons?

Started 1289752787.91 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1290022749.05 by cosdependent

I've been noticing the 11's and a couple of little vertical lip lines coming in. Just went to the dermatologist for a skin-check, and got a prescription for retin-a. I talked with him just a bit about the 11's and liplines. I asked him the age when people start getting treatments for that...he said some much younger than I am (45) get it done, and he's had botox about 4 times (he's 42). He asked me if I was very ready to have something done (like it REALLY bothered me...."driving off a cliff" ready), or was I okay for now and wanted to wait a bit? I'm in the "wait a bit" category...nothing urgent. He filled me in a little about botox and recommended it for the 11's and the liplines (just one tiny drop above the line to settle into the line)...said it would work better than the fillers. He gave me retin-a for now because I do want to start that for the fine lines and sunspots....said it would take some time to make a difference (months). I'm starting that and incorporating with my peel pads...alternating them.

My question is: What is the best treatment for the 11's and vertical liplines? What works the best (how long does it take to show a difference and how long does it last)? Pros/cons? Also, what are the costs involved? He said botox wouldn't take more than 10-12 (units??) for me...currently $12 each...said I'd be able to do botox for around $150.

What's been your experiences? Any recommendations would be appreciated! I'm a little leary about the botox and fillers....I guess I don't know enought about it; the thought of putting something like that into my face is a little scary! Thanks for your input!

Page 1 of 2
OCGurl1289755397.827533 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA

hi Crush

i have been using RA for about 4 years and I had hoped that it would have been the answer for the "1" that i have, it is a great product for fine lines, and preventing any further damage, and I will use it for a lifetime, its the best.

but after 2 years of RA, it didnt rid the "1" that i had, so for that i do get Botox for a couple years now, it gets rid of that and smooths the whole area.

Using the 2 together has taken 10 years off and i love it - i too use only a small amount in my forehead, its about $200 every few months.

I havent done it for lip lines as I am fine there, but i love it for between the brow.

HTH :)


Shelbelle1289755853.19734719 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Botox is for the #11, I was just told that by a nurse who works for a derm doc, she used it, and it looks great.

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1289756424.4031390 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005

Fillers OR botox OR both are use in that area:

there are some who use fillers for the 11's you will still baable to use those muscles, squint etc...

with botox it will paralyze / freeze that area so you EITHER cannot move it OR move it very little

some opt for both to fill in the lined area with will plump it up BUT THEN also get the botox so it will not move -

I botox that area AND i LOVE it!!! Fillers I use for the nose to mouth & corners of mouth good for 8 - 12 months10 - 12 units for THAT is is a bit low - normally it's 15 - 20 for a women - men 25 .... the muscles between the brows are strong muscles UNLESS you have very little of an 11 there OR he just puts in enough to JUST relax that area whereby you would be able to move it BUT once relaxed show no line OR have little mobility there

luvmyteddy1289757988.038577 PostsRegistered 9/4/2010Land of Oz

I don't have the 11 or lines on my forehead but do have lines under my checks and lower, I am sure from tanning all those years. Has anyone done botox or whatever for that problem area? I got a chemical peel once from a plastic surgeon and after he was done told me I needed 3-4 more visits. I wish he had told me that at the beginning. I only had it done once and bought the products but saw no difference what so ever. I have tried every cream and serum known to man and see no difference. I even tried retina and nothing. I still use products but I think I am too old to see results.

CreditCard­Overload1289758983.72526 PostsRegistered 8/17/2007

I'm in central Jersey. Would love to get botox or something for my deep 11 lines. How do you find a reputable dr?

--------------------------------
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

OCGurl1289760500.4177533 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 11/14/2010 CreditCardOverload said:

I'm in central Jersey. Would love to get botox or something for my deep 11 lines. How do you find a reputable dr?

go to Botox Cosmetic - their website will have a list of docs in your area :)


Jeanne R1289761482.5174788 PostsRegistered 7/5/2010

website url?


OCGurl1289762909.0877533 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Palm Desert, CA
On 11/14/2010 Jeanne R said:

website url?


http://www.botoxcosmetic.com/home.aspx

upper right corner - "find a doctor"


snowball1289767257.4138474 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/14/2010 JustWantBeautifulSkinn said:

Fillers OR botox OR both are use in that area:

there are some who use fillers for the 11's you will still baable to use those muscles, squint etc...

with botox it will paralyze / freeze that area so you EITHER cannot move it OR move it very little

some opt for both to fill in the lined area with will plump it up BUT THEN also get the botox so it will not move -

I botox that area AND i LOVE it!!! Fillers I use for the nose to mouth & corners of mouth good for 8 - 12 months10 - 12 units for THAT is is a bit low - normally it's 15 - 20 for a women - men 25 .... the muscles between the brows are strong muscles UNLESS you have very little of an 11 there OR he just puts in enough to JUST relax that area whereby you would be able to move it BUT once relaxed show no line OR have little mobility there

What filler do you use for the corners of the mouth area?? Does it last almost a year? That is something I am looking for. Thanks

jujube1289768317.392699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

botox is good for the 11's , i would never do a filler between my brows, its gonna swell and plump up the area between ur brows and u will be very miserable for a while. the botox will last about 3 months, thats about it. i would be very careful about the lip area, there are so many people with nitemare stories , but if u are going to use a filler, choose restylane as it is the least amount of money, lasts only a few months (is a blessing if u do not like the results) and can be fixed if you do not like it. go to realself.com and you can see all kinds of pics, reviews, etc. Good luck

Love me, love my cats:)

Bella HS1289769443.528076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

If the 11 is very deep then the derms I have discussed this with have all said that the area will not be responsive to botox only or even a combo of botox/filler if too deep. They recommend fillers as being what the client will be most pleased with. As far as lines above lips.....fillers are used just as the are for the nasal and labial lines.

Remember there are a % of people who just don't respond as favorably as both doctor and patient hope for. I've spent alot of money on botox and I'm in that category where I get moderate results only and I weigh this when I consider additional treatents.

I'm not too far away from the age (about 8-10 yrs) where I'm considering slight under the knife procedures along the aging way at this point. Def no need for anything close to major maybe just a slight brow lift......$ for cosmetic procedures has become another folder in the life budget file box

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1289770162.9271390 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
On 11/14/2010 snowball said:
On 11/14/2010 JustWantBeautifulSkinn said:

Fillers OR botox OR both are use in that area:

there are some who use fillers for the 11's you will still baable to use those muscles, squint etc...

with botox it will paralyze / freeze that area so you EITHER cannot move it OR move it very little

some opt for both to fill in the lined area with will plump it up BUT THEN also get the botox so it will not move -

I botox that area AND i LOVE it!!! Fillers I use for the nose to mouth & corners of mouth good for 8 - 12 months10 - 12 units for THAT is is a bit low - normally it's 15 - 20 for a women - men 25 .... the muscles between the brows are strong muscles UNLESS you have very little of an 11 there OR he just puts in enough to JUST relax that area whereby you would be able to move it BUT once relaxed show no line OR have little mobility there

What filler do you use for the corners of the mouth area?? Does it last almost a year? That is something I am looking for. Thanks

Juvederm - they have 2 different types / 4 variations from a thinner to thicker & with & without lidocaine

JUVEDERM Ultra Injectable Gel is a thinner consistancy/smaller molecule used for fine lines and wrinkles and for lip enhancement.

JUVEDER Ultra PLUS Injectable Gel is a thicker consistancy/larger molacule useful for volume deficiency such as depressions, correction of nasolabial folds and mid-face collapse

Both of the above come in XC formulations with added lidocaine, an anesthetic to make the injection more comfortable.

i use the PLUS XC - I had the nose to mouth area BUT not the entire area. More like a line filled on one side half way down from the nose AND THE OTHER SIDE was a depression filled in AND THEN corners of the mouth -

I had it done in June & will have more in December. Sometimes after you get the injections you MAY or MAY NOT need more once it all settles down like a bit of swelling / redness then you can better see the final results.... I'm waiting till December because I should be done with dental work & I don;t want the areas disrupted after

snowball1289771176.3138474 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thank you for that information. I was thinking of getting perlane there in the corners of the mouth. Is juverderm better??

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1289774248.7871390 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005
On 11/14/2010 snowball said:

Thank you for that information. I was thinking of getting perlane there in the corners of the mouth. Is juverderm better??

I haven't had Perlane.... I read it lasts 6 - 8 months and is a large molecule..... you wouldn't have the options as you do with Juveraderm Ultra or Plus and with or without the lidocane and Juveraderm lasts 8 tp 12 months

JustWantBe­autifulSkinn1289774380.1231390 PostsRegistered 11/13/2005

There are fillers out there that do last longer than 8 to 12 months. - some 1 1/2 years to 2 may be one that lasts 3 years ALSO there are permanent such as silicone & a few others..... some are not YET approved oto be used in the US and some are - .

gubby11289774465.9571554 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010puget sound

I had Radiesse in that area and in my nasolabial folds. I had it done in June and it looks the same as it did when it was first done. My PS said Radiesse is a good choice for me because it is heavy bodied.I am thinking maybe my lines were extra deep? I think it will last around 9 months. I hope so..its expensive.

Muttlvr1289776016.9632631 PostsRegistered 9/18/2005

For 11's and crows feet, it's Botox baby, yeah! I'll take a bucket of it, please. I get it about 3 X per year. I don't have lip lines so can't rec there. I also have been using retinol/Retin A faithfully for 7 years. Getting Botox about 4. I'm 55 with ultra fair, delicate skin.

Last edited on 11/14/2010

Last edited on 11/14/2010

snowball1289776757.5438474 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/14/2010 gubby1 said:

I had Radiesse in that area and in my nasolabial folds. I had it done in June and it looks the same as it did when it was first done. My PS said Radiesse is a good choice for me because it is heavy bodied.I am thinking maybe my lines were extra deep? I think it will last around 9 months. I hope so..its expensive.

How much did you pay for the radiesse??? Thanks

Pixie Jo1289777126.5573511 PostsRegistered 7/4/2009

My one-and-only experience (well technically - two experiences ) with Botox: Got it two weeks before attending a wedding. It takes two weeks for the Botox to fully kick-in. I was worried about getting a droopy eye, but my dermatologist said she had been doing injections for years, and never had that happen. My 11s are deep. It barely had an impact! I went back to have it redone because I didn't feel like it "took." This time, I paid for the Botox, but not the office visit. I still wasn't terribly impressed. It was a lot of money for something so temporary (4 months?). That was about 4 years ago, and I haven't done it since. I still have deep 11s.

Pixie Jo

crush1289780376.9972127 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
On 11/14/2010 JustWantBeautifulSkinn said:

There are fillers out there that do last longer than 8 to 12 months. - some 1 1/2 years to 2 may be one that lasts 3 years ALSO there are permanent such as silicone & a few others..... some are not YET approved oto be used in the US and some are - .

Wow...if a filler would last 1-2 years, I'd definitely consider getting that for my liplines. My lines are not deep or very long at all (and there are only two...one on either side of the "bow" of the lip), but they are noticeable to me. The derm. mentioned he could just pop a bit of botox at the top of the line and it would settle sort of "drop down" into the entire area. If I could get a filler that would do that and it would last, I think I'd prefer that for the lip area.

Karin in V­ermont1289782239.817816 PostsRegistered 6/28/2007VT and AZ

Botox for the 11 area, it makes you look refreshed and rested. Radiesse for the nasolabial area. But I've had Sculptra for that area, they put it into your upper cheek and it lifts the nasolabial area instead of filling it. Sculpta is supposed to last for 2+ years. I've had it for 1 1/2 years and I'll probably have some more in the spring. I'm 57 so the retin-a just keeps my skin looking good, it doesn't really do anything for the 11 area or the nasolabial area. I really want to try to put off surgery for as long as possible -fillers are working so far. I would like to try something for my lips, but I don't want to end up looking like I have a beak, so I have been putting it off.

.........You look mahvelous........

Bella HS1289783182.6278076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 11/14/2010 Pixie Jo said:

My one-and-only experience (well technically - two experiences ) with Botox: Got it two weeks before attending a wedding. It takes two weeks for the Botox to fully kick-in. I was worried about getting a droopy eye, but my dermatologist said she had been doing injections for years, and never had that happen. My 11s are deep. It barely had an impact! I went back to have it redone because I didn't feel like it "took." This time, I paid for the Botox, but not the office visit. I still wasn't terribly impressed. It was a lot of money for something so temporary (4 months?). That was about 4 years ago, and I haven't done it since. I still have deep 11s.

Same with me on the "1" and Not very deep....done by experienced pros and with 3 touchups in all.... barely made a bit of difference and everyone was surprised each time I returned to not see an improved result frm the prior touchup. My forehead has also had problems with only 1/2 side having somewhat success....and its been injected at numerous site locations to try to understand less tnan successful results. The middle lines respond terrifically. This is why I made the prior comment that not everyone is a responding client... too bad as it cost me $1350 for product and multiple touch-ups

Last edited on 11/14/2010

Last edited on 11/14/2010

swissmiss1289783861.8272226 PostsRegistered 10/3/2005

My friends with 11s did not wait too long--and the Botox has worked great for them! I get Botox every 5 months or so for my horizontal forehead lines AND my crows feet (I don't have 11s). It works GREAT! And I can still move my eyebrows, forehead, etc. Totally worth it!

I get a little filler (Radiesse) for my frown lines, jowl line and just outside the nostril area of my nose. It lasts about a year or so and I am totally happy with those results.

I am 55 and my skin itself is in pretty good shape--a few fine lines you really have to look for and no age spots or discoloration. But I don't like the crows feet, forehead lines or the bit of sagging I see. That is where the Botox and fillers come in. I am seeing little lines around my mouth and my dr. suggests I get a tiny amount of filler there--all the way around. They insist this will NOT give me the duck type lips. I plan to get that done on my next visit.

gubby11289785002.471554 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010puget sound

Snowball...I think I paid $500 for each syringe of Radiesse. I had 2 syringes.

jujube1289785472.0372699 PostsRegistered 12/21/2004facebook.com/judy.kardos

do NOT use radiesse for the lip area. only use a hyaluronic filler for that area such as juvederm or restylane. Radiesse is NOT recommended for the lip area. It is much too thick.

Love me, love my cats:)

Page 1 of 2