TSV(R) Preview
26 Members and 11812 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Has Anyone Had "Gray Blending" Done? Please Describe Process/Hair Color

Started 1289418647.18 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1289489168.197 by Angel1948

Just saw this mentioned on the super cuts thread. Someone has an appointment to have it done at a salon and it made me curious as how this is done/results.

Yes, I am "graying" and have that "mousy look" bigtime.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Page 1 of 1
Angel19481289430779.694660 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008DFW Metroplex , Tx.

I don't know if it is called the same everywhere. But I went in today at Super Cuts (freebie) , they just put a temporary color that slowly washes out, meaning no gray roots. They just put a color on that matched my natural hair color in back since I'm not all white in the back. It is a drastic change because I've had my hair white for a few years. If I ever get it done again, it will be a lot lighter shade. The temp. color was only left on for 10 minutes, so it was pretty quick. I wasn't quite sure what they were going to do when I first got there, but I'm glad it is something that washes out because I found out I don't like my hair this brown even it that used to be my natural color.

I have been thinking about putting a permanent color back in because I am tired of being this white, but at least now I know to buy a medium blond and not a brown.

glorybe1289441947.2932700 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007

Wow Angel, thanks for telling me about your experience-thought sure there would be more involved than that-possibly low lights that would gradually wash out-guess not.

You are right about not using the same color as your darker hair in the back to try and color now. I did the same thing using Loving Care, but it was way too dark on the ends and looked terrible. I had to use Prell Shampoo mixed with Baking Soda to strip it out, but that is really hard on the hair.

I was advised by a rep from Clairol that I could use the Beige Blonde to make my grays look more like highlights, and I may just go that route as it will eventually wash out.

Edited to fix typo

Last edited on 11/10/2010

Last edited on 11/10/2010

jewel31289442541.1931784 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast

My friend had this done. She was graying and they highlighted her hair with cool blond to take away the mousiness of the gray. Looks great and blends the gray so when it's growing out, it doesn't show for a long long time.

We'll never have significance in this life if it's all about us.

Marcee461289443314.973686 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

I have high-lights and low-lights and you can't see the gray at all. I know it can be expensive but my dh loves the color and so do I. It blends the gray right in. Now I have a very short, spikey, sassy haircut so I can go a longtime between having the process again. If you want to go a longer time, just add a few highlights and the roots colored in between the highlights....geezzzz what we women do! However I get so many compliments.

My aunt had her gray down and it turned her hair bright yellow and this was done at a salon. Thank goodness it washes out. I have found, me included after having my high and low lights for a while, I went back to my natural color and hated it. It was much darker and had no spunk to it. It was much darker since grey hair really grabs color fast, IMO and judging the time to leave the color on van be tricky. I won't do that again, unless I know that all my hair is gray and then I would have the gray fixed up

Just remember gray hair grabs color very fast, within minutes. It also is much coarser in some cases. If you are doing this yourself and at home, I highly reccommend doing a small test strip in the back. IMO, and after seeing my Aunt, OH BOY!!

My biggest problem is I was born a beautiful blonde but my roots don't know, LOL!!

glorybe1289443540.3872700 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007

Thanks Jewel, sounds like it worked out great for her. The mousiness is what really bothers me too. My hairstylist says to just leave it alone, it is a "pretty" gray, but that doesn't help with the faded brown that is mixed in with the gray. I remember seeing a friend who was graying and how mousy it looked, then a couple of years later when I saw her it was a really pretty gray. I think I have just convinced myself that I do need to "help" my hair out of that stage with some semi-permanent color.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

glorybe1289443942.1732700 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007
On 11/10/2010 Mindeleah46 said:

I have high-lights and low-lights and you can't see the gray at all. I know it can be expensive but my dh loves the color and so do I. It blends the gray right in. Now I have a very short, spikey, sassy haircut so I can go a longtime between having the process again. If you want to go a longer time, just add a few highlights and the roots colored in between the highlights....geezzzz what we women do! However I get so many compliments.

My aunt had her gray down and it turned her hair bright yellow and this was done at a salon. Thank goodness it washes out. I have found, me included after having my high and low lights for a while, I went back to my natural color and hated it. It was much darker and had no spunk to it. It was much darker since grey hair really grabs color fast, IMO and judging the time to leave the color on van be tricky. I won't do that again, unless I know that all my hair is gray and then I would have the gray fixed up

Just remember gray hair grabs color very fast, within minutes. It also is much coarser in some cases. If you are doing this yourself and at home, I highly reccommend doing a small test strip in the back. IMO, and after seeing my Aunt, OH BOY!!

My biggest problem is I was born a beautiful blonde but my roots don't know, LOL!!

Thanks for your input and laughs!!! I was a hairstylist in my younger years, so I have some idea (or I think I do) of how to approach this. I have already done a strand test and it worked out well.

I was a blonde during childhood and gradually went darker with age. This gray is whole other animal.............no wonder so many of my clients wanted to perm their hair and color it.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Angel19481289481744.3274660 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008DFW Metroplex , Tx.

glorybe

you said you used prell and baking soda to strip the color? did it do it in one washing or did it take several times. I just don't like my hair this dark at all, such a shock to see this brown hair when I'm so used to seeing the white. My hubby says I look a LOT better with it white or lighter anyway, like a blond color. Sure not brown anymore at all.

Dachsie1289482209.9772607 PostsRegistered 6/4/2006

My sister used to have her hair color applied in a unique way across the front area only and then solid on back and sides.

You secution a strant of hair and with those tight rubber gloves you just apply the color to the strand thorougly and leave some strands in that front sectioned off area to be gray. It looked really cool.

I think it is important to use the temporarly color because when it wears off your gray will be a natural white and not yellowed from too much peroxide. You will not be able to section off the same hair to color every time so you will eventually end up with all over blended grey and different shades of the color.

I like Natural Instincts and better yet Garnier Herbashine. I have tried to do this and it works great to sort of blend in gradually a little grey in the front sort of light frosting or highlights but I am going to do this more neatly and carefully next time.

glorybe1289485687.4032700 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Beauty-Banter/topic/93631/PostID/1787154/re-anyone-know-how-to-safely-remove-loving-care-color.aspx#1787154

Angel, here is the link to the discussion here regarding what I did to fade my too-dark hair. It has been a while so I forgot some of the details. HTH

glorybe1289486121.8372700 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007

Thanks Daschie for the info...............great idea as that is just the look I like. Had my hair "frosted" several times in years past, but making it look like highlights would be a little more modern. Good point about not wanting it to look yellow.Kiss

Last edited on 11/11/2010

Last edited on 11/11/2010

abbeythe8th1289486669.394139 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007
On 11/11/2010 Dachsie said:

My sister used to have her hair color applied in a unique way across the front area only and then solid on back and sides.

You secution a strant of hair and with those tight rubber gloves you just apply the color to the strand thorougly and leave some strands in that front sectioned off area to be gray. It looked really cool.

I think it is important to use the temporarly color because when it wears off your gray will be a natural white and not yellowed from too much peroxide. You will not be able to section off the same hair to color every time so you will eventually end up with all over blended grey and different shades of the color.

I like Natural Instincts and better yet Garnier Herbashine. I have tried to do this and it works great to sort of blend in gradually a little grey in the front sort of light frosting or highlights but I am going to do this more neatly and carefully next time.

You are lucky your gray hair takes temporary color. Frequently it will not or wash out almost immediately. This can be true for drugstore brand permanent dyes. Gray hair can be extremely color resistant.

violann1289486928.88312709 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

The first time I had my hair done professionally the stylist "low lighted" the hair at my temples and just above my forehead. It gave my color a more natural look because those are the areas that lose color sooner than other parts of the head.

She used something that she said was permanent but didn't contain ammonia, and the condition of my hair has really been quite good (wasn't all that great to start).

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Angel19481289489168.1974660 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008DFW Metroplex , Tx.
On 11/11/2010 glorybe said:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Beauty-Banter/topic/93631/PostID/1787154/re-anyone-know-how-to-safely-remove-loving-care-color.aspx#1787154

Angel, here is the link to the discussion here regarding what I did to fade my too-dark hair. It has been a while so I forgot some of the details. HTH

Thanks, I'll have to go out and see if I can find some Prell. I sure don't like it this dark. It's a shock when I look in the mirror

Page 1 of 1