Creede Silver Sale
111 Members and 14187 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

How do I tell if I need a yellow undertone foundation or pink?

Started 1288217970.343 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1288459936.013 by wackers

Does it have to do with being "cool" or "warm"? I just don't get it. I wear Med. Beige in BE and trying to figure out what color to buy in Max Factor Pan Stik, which is on-line so I can't actually look at it. Argh! Thanks in advance for your help.

Page 1 of 2
LaterGator1288218212.30310172 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007

I'm not really sure other than I know when I put foundation on that is yellow, it looks awful on me and it doesn't match at all. When I put foundation on that has pink in it, it blends in really well with my skin. I'm a "cool" tone.

It's difficult to find foundation with pink undertones. Make up people seem to think everyone should have yellow undertones.

kalicat1288218230.377184 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

If you are using Med Beige in BE you are using warm or yellow tones. I have cool undertones so I use the Medium in BE. But sometimes in other brands I choose a Neutral tone that is in between the cool and warm. Don't remember what the colors of Max Factor.

csv3201288218999.8776724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

I have never figured this out, I went to the Mac counter and the professional picked out my foundation.

Supposedly if you look good in gold jewelry you are a warm, if you look good in silver or white gold jewelry you are a cool.

GOOD LUCK! :-)

Good4u12882200923193 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest

Here is another way to add to your confusion...LOL

I KNOW very well I am a yellow/warm undertone. How you say? If you look at your wrist w/your palm up in natural sunlight and your veining on you wrist looks green...you are a yellow undertone! I have greenish looking veins and I am a golden light! However, the vast majority of women have cool/pink undertones which have paler skin. If you flip your palm up in sunlight and your veining on your wrist looks blueish then you are a cool/pink undertone. If you have neither blue nor greenish looking veins in natural sunlight then you are what they call "neutral" skin undertone. Most women are cool not warm or neutral. It really is accurate!

Last edited on 10/27/2010

Beauty is ALWAYS before age...(Dorthy Parker misquoted intentionally)
Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

csv3201288220322.9976724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

ps here is another supposedly easy way to determine:

Put on a white t shirt in natural light.

Put on a beige t shirt in natural light.

If you look better in the white t shirt, you are a a cool.

If you look better in the beige t shirt, you are a warm.

GOOD LUCK. :-)

Sassy Pants1288221681.907267 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006Midwest
On 10/27/2010 Good4u said:

I KNOW very well I am a yellow/warm undertone. How you say? If you look at your wrist w/your palm up in natural sunlight and your veining on you wrist looks green...you are a yellow undertone! I have greenish looking veins and I am a golden light! However, the vast majority of women have cool/pink undertones which have paler skin. If you flip your palm up in sunlight and your veining on your wrist looks blueish then you are a cool/pink undertone. If you have neither blue nor greenish looking veins in natural sunlight then you are what they call "neutral" skin undertone. Most women are cool not warm or neutral. It really is accurate!

My veins are blue but I have a totally yellow undertone. This trick doesn't work for everybody.

"So much makeup and so little face".

misspammie1288221998.51312388 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

i MUST read this tomorrow in the daylight!!! I've never known if I'm a winter, summer, or Princess Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring (if you're from the Pgh. area you'll know what I mean).

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

Good4u1288222669.593193 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest
On 10/27/2010 Sassy Pants said:

My veins are blue but I have a totally yellow undertone. This trick doesn't work for everybody.

Are you sure? Did you look at in natural sunlight? I have never seen anyone w/blue veins with a yellow undertone. You would be an incredible exception...of course, I don't know you, but I am tending to think you are likely mistaken. But, whatever. *shrugs*

Light-golden warm skin tone (dry side), olive-green eyes, medium brunette: Dominant Color season - Warm Autumn.

Good4u1288222775.8533193 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest
On 10/27/2010 misspammie said:

i MUST read this tomorrow in the daylight!!! I've never known if I'm a winter, summer, or Princess Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring (if you're from the Pgh. area you'll know what I mean).

This is really funny! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

scatcat1288224137.391390 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006

Ok - so I assume I am a "warm" and should look for foundation with yellow in it. That actually sounds gross. Plus to me, pink seems "warm" and what I'd hope to have in/on my skin, but I guess not. I will stand in my front yard tomorrow with my palm up and check my wrist veins. Maybe I will wear both silver and gold jewelry and poll passers by on which looks better on me. I'll report back.

Thanks for your help gals.

colson1288224699.3177438 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast
On 10/27/2010 misspammie said:

Ahhhh, Princess Summerfall Winterspring, friend of Howdy Doody and Chief Thunderthud!!! LOL.

brownie9171288224996.494579 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004New England

L'Oreal True Match Collection is skintone coordinated -- Neutral/Warm/Cool. Most chain pharmacies, Walmart and Kmart have the whole set with testers. I use the Cool and sometimes Neutral.

A good way to tell if you're warm or cool is what jewelry color looks best on you: Yellow Gold, then you're warm.....White Gold/Silver, then you're cool. If you look good in both you're neutral.

misspammie1288226698.33312388 PostsRegistered 3/14/2010now in Virginia

COLSON,,,,,,you know you know you know,,,,loved Buffalo Bob!!!!

"jus' sanwiches and milk"

Bella HS1288226924.1538076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

Wish it wasn't so hard to always figure out a foundation color. I've been told as mentioned above about the white/beige clothing and also been told that the majority of people are really a combo of both. I see a lot of women out there with foundation that is too light for them and I'm thinking they've been told they are pink/cool and always go for the fair and lightest of shades.....which really aren't right for them.

deja vu1288227726.1176181 PostsRegistered 7/9/2007East Coast

I was always told if your veins on your wrist are green, you are a yellow tone.

If they are blue your, cool tone

And if there bluish green your neutral.......which is what mine are.

deja vu

~ life is short~pick your battles ~

BREEZYBEAR1288227943.3073106 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007

IO WEAR MEDIUM BEIGE IN BE ,MY MAX FACTOR PANSTICK IS NATURAL OR TRUE BEIGE.EITHER ONE IS FINE.

scatcat1288228529.9071390 PostsRegistered 11/19/2006

Ah ha! I forgot about the L'Oreal plastic swatches! I have done that and have some of their foundation I'll have to check. Also, thanks for the Pan Stik color ideas, I think I will just take a chance on them. Also, I can ask at the Bobbi Brown counter and they will know. They are so smart.

jellyBEAN1288229146.453398 PostsRegistered 6/6/2009
On 10/27/2010 scatcat said:

Ah ha! I forgot about the L'Oreal plastic swatches! I have done that and have some of their foundation I'll have to check. Also, thanks for the Pan Stik color ideas, I think I will just take a chance on them. Also, I can ask at the Bobbi Brown counter and they will know. They are so smart.

I've watched many BB presentations on the Q and she seems to have the belief that all women have yellow undertones in their skin. She never seems to addres that there are those of us who have ruddy complexions - irish,english,scotch, etc... I don't doubt her products are nice quality, but have never ordered because of her conviction to this yellow based theory.

Barbara in­ Virginia1288229448.4537774 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

I was a certified color consultant for many years and have color analyzed a couple thousand of people. BB is not correct. Only 1/3 of the population has a yellow undertone. And yes, we are somewhere along the continuim from warm to cool, but we are either yellow or blue dominant on our UNDERTONE. Most who look "yellow" actually have a blue undertone. Make up companies do consumers a real disservice by coming up with this stuff.

ETA: The range of blue or cool undertones range from very pale to very dark. Many who are pale but who also have visible pink in their cheeks are actually warm in coloring, NOT cool, as people who sell makeup will tell you. The best way to find out where you are is to have a professional analysis done by someone certified in that field, not someone selling cosmetics.

aprildreams1288229492.7071363 PostsRegistered 5/2/2007

I have never seen anyone with green veins.....{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Doherty1288229961.7270 PostsRegistered 5/17/2008

This always confuses me. I look better in silver jewelry, white instead of beige, and my veins are bluish green. But I am told I have yellow undertones.

Bella HS1288230562.558076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 10/27/2010 Barbara in Virginia said:

I was a certified color consultant for many years and have color analyzed a couple thousand of people. BB is not correct. Only 1/3 of the population has a yellow undertone. And yes, we are somewhere along the continuim from warm to cool, but we are either yellow or blue dominant on our UNDERTONE. Most who look "yellow" actually have a blue undertone. Make up companies do consumers a real disservice by coming up with this stuff.

ETA: The range of blue or cool undertones range from very pale to very dark. Many who are pale but who also have visible pink in their cheeks are actually warm in coloring, NOT cool, as people who sell makeup will tell you. The best way to find out where you are is to have a professional analysis done by someone certified in that field, not someone selling cosmetics.

I agree hence my comment that too many women are wearing colors that are too light for them. Since they don't look dark they go for the fair and ivory shades and it's not flattering. It actually ages their look. My skin doesn't look dark but I need shades that are a deep medium in foundation.

Ranchergal1288231629.8434271 PostsRegistered 6/13/2007

There are plastic strips that can be put on your face to determine your undertone. I bought my strips on eBay, but one can also go to a makeup professional at a department store. I've had my undertones determined with Mary Kay strips and Estee Lauder strips. Both results were the same.

Coneflower1288278271.94378 PostsRegistered 4/13/2010
On 10/27/2010 Barbara in Virginia said:

Makes total sense. I am very fair with visible pink in my cheeks and was always recommended pink-based foundations. I was never happy with the look by the end of the day, because if I had any foundation fading, the pink-ness in my face (enhanced by my foundation) was really obvious. About two years ago, I was looking at a foundation (another pink-tone) and the SA in Sephora told me that I should go with a fair, but YELLOW-based shade to match my neck (which she said had definite yellow tones). Needless to say, I never felt that my face and neck matched, but figured the "experts" couldn't be wrong. My skin looks so much better in a fair but "faintly" yellow-toned foundation - it helps cancel some of the pink and definitely doesn't cause that line of demarcation between face and neck. I think the skin on your neck is a better indication (and maybe a simpler way) of deciding whether you need a pink or yellow-toned foundation. Good luck!

Good4u1288295671.643193 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008USA - Midwest
On 10/27/2010 aprildreams said:

I have never seen anyone with green veins.....{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I don't have green veins...but they "appear" green when you look at them b/o skintone. Understand the difference.

Page 1 of 2