TSV(R) Preview
75 Members and 13738 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

HELP! WHICH "PEEL" PADS ARE THE BEST?

Started 1287947407.28 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1288459493.24 by springers

Hey Ladies, I need some advice{#emotions_dlg.confused1}. Want to try a peel pad but not sure which one gives the most results? I use purity and hope in a jar(sensitive). Should I stick with philosophy or try another brand? I'll be waiting for your advice! Have a blessed week!

Page 1 of 2
babyb1287948653.8134612 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

I am not sure what you are looking for the pad to do, but my favorite is the Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction Pads...long name! I have to admit, though, that the only other pad I have used is Stridex. I found Stridex to be terribly drying for my skin. This PTR one contains alcohol, but it does not dry my skin at all. I use it for reducing pore size and cleaning out the blackheads. It also works on fine lines and wrinkles, so that is a perk for me, too.

Look for the sales on these....or buy on the bay. I cut these pads in to FOURTHS, and they still have plenty of product, which makes them such a great deal.

lala61287949279.3911 PostsRegistered 9/17/2010

Well, I'm 38 and have dry sensitive skin. I want something to help shrink pores, exfoliate, and even out skin tone. So, thanks babyb for the reply!

cerinthe1287962392.9932586 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

I have pretty sensitive skin and here are my choices:

Best inexpensive: Alpha Hydrox Peel Pads (drugstore.com or their website) and the Stridex in the red jar, which is just the salicylic acid. (any drugstore.)

Best expensive: Neostrata Exuviance Peel AP25 (they have a 20% FF sale now, at their website neostrata.com, enter 'friends'.) I do not recommend the system, just the pads (which are individually encased,) on their own.

crush1287963784.2731968 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC

I started a similar thread some time ago...here it is...lots of replies:

Since then, I've purchased the Dr. Gross pads, and I really like them. I knew I liked them after the first use...I could actually see the difference in the brightness of my skin. I ordered the PTR Unwrinkle from Sephora just to alternate with the Dr. Gross because they are somewhat expensive. I haven't received the PTR yet so I can't comment on them personally. I hope I like the PTR as well as the Dr. Gross because they will definitely help to stretch my money!

http://community.qvc.com/DiscussionDetail/tabid/73/CatID/2/TypeID/1/Recent/1/ThreadID/110711/Default.aspx

Keli131287963822.7377516 PostsRegistered 1/24/2006
On 10/24/2010 cerinthe said:

I have pretty sensitive skin and here are my choices:

Best inexpensive: Alpha Hydrox Peel Pads (drugstore.com or their website) and the Stridex in the red jar, which is just the salicylic acid. (any drugstore.)

Best expensive: Neostrata Exuviance Peel AP25 (they have a 20% FF sale now, at their website neostrata.com, enter 'friends'.) I do not recommend the system, just the pads (which are individually encased,) on their own.

I also recommend, on the expensive end, the NeoStrata Exuviance Peel AP25 Pads. I don't use the system just the 2 part pads. Here's a description of the Exuviance Pads.

The creators of the original Glycolic Acid peel introduce a high performance peel that is safe and easy to use at home. The Exuviance Performance Peel AP25 contains a 25% blend of Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) and Polyhydroxy Acids (PHA) including Glycolic Acid, Mandelic Acid and Gluconolactone. Performance Peel AP25 not only works at skin's surface to exfoliate dead, dull surface layers, it also stimulates the process of cell renewal among all layers, to reveal fresher, healthier cells. With regular use, up to twice a week, this peel has been clinically proven to:

• Refine pore size and smooth texture
  • Visibly diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
  • Improve clarity and brightness
  • Brighten and even skin tone
  • Provide an all-over healthy glow, suppleness and smoothness to skin

I've been using the Exuviance Pads for about 4 months now and I really do like them.

i will be comparing the Exuviance Pads to Dr. Gross's 2 part extra strength peel pads in about another week. I've tried Dr. Gross's regular strength pads in the past but they just didn't impress me that much. I'm interested to see if the Extra Strength pads are more impressive.

The other less expensive 1 part pads I like are Peter Thomas Roths Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads.

lala61287965703.41311 PostsRegistered 9/17/2010

Thanks ladies for all the suggestion.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

c_la_vee1287966575.5431832 PostsRegistered 9/2/2009

I am finishing the philosophy's pads and can't wait for it to be over, the solution might be ok but the pads themselves are so harsh and scratchy!

It's like rubbing steel wool on the skin.
I have a Alpha Hydrox Peel Pads waiting to go as soon as I'm finished with philosophy. I hope they're a little softer.

cerinthe1287967734.2032586 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

c_la_vee- You might be disappointed. The pads I have are pretty scratchy (Alpha Hydrox.) One side does seem smoother than the other, but just a little. I remember the PTR pads being very soft.

Also, another way to approach this topic is to find a good glycolic acid 'toner' and simply use that with one's own cotton balls or pads. I always meant to try the DDF line of 'toners' and do this. (Also, I usually let my skin sit for about 15-30 minutes after a peel, and then rinse with water thoroughly, and then go ahead with moisturizer, treatment, or whatever. Also, I always apply a peel to previously cleaned and patted dry, skin.)

windycity11287971691.8877334 PostsRegistered 6/29/2008
On 10/24/2010 babyb said:

I am not sure what you are looking for the pad to do, but my favorite is the Peter Thomas Roth Max Complexion Correction Pads...long name! I have to admit, though, that the only other pad I have used is Stridex. I found Stridex to be terribly drying for my skin. This PTR one contains alcohol, but it does not dry my skin at all. I use it for reducing pore size and cleaning out the blackheads. It also works on fine lines and wrinkles, so that is a perk for me, too.

Look for the sales on these....or buy on the bay. I cut these pads in to FOURTHS, and they still have plenty of product, which makes them such a great deal.

Also recommend PTR. Unwrinkle is leave on for about 3 minutes and rinse off. The gentle correction complexion pads are leave on and recommended for sensitive skin. Also cut them in halves or quarters. Sephora also has a 20% friends and family promo until 11/3. Code = FF2010.

Last edited on 10/24/2010

Last edited on 10/24/2010

Dance like no one is watching.... Love like you'll never be hurt.... Sing like no one is listening.... Live like it's heaven on earth.

FUTURE1287971957.99710816 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
I second the (inexpensive) alpha hydrox (I cut in half, too--the are pretty moist) and dr. Dennis gross (expensive-er :) ) look at sephora right now for dr gross in travel paves. 20% off, and you can cut those in half, too. Quite large. HTH!

c_la_vee1287973800.411832 PostsRegistered 9/2/2009
On 10/24/2010 cerinthe said:

c_la_vee- You might be disappointed. The pads I have are pretty scratchy (Alpha Hydrox.) One side does seem smoother than the other, but just a little. I remember the PTR pads being very soft.

Also, another way to approach this topic is to find a good glycolic acid 'toner' and simply use that with one's own cotton balls or pads. I always meant to try the DDF line of 'toners' and do this. (Also, I usually let my skin sit for about 15-30 minutes after a peel, and then rinse with water thoroughly, and then go ahead with moisturizer, treatment, or whatever. Also, I always apply a peel to previously cleaned and patted dry, skin.)

oh no! I was looking forward to some relief! They could sell those pads all by themselves, without anything on them and they would work well as exfoliators. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

FUTURE1287973902.48710816 PostsRegistered 5/18/2008
It's true, c_la_eve, they are pretty rough. I just use a light hand. Sorry to disappoint. Other than that, I really, really like them. Esp. for the price!

c_la_vee1287974642.2771832 PostsRegistered 9/2/2009

yes! I havent' tried them yet but the price was great, that's true.

Janelegant1288054459.52892 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007Twinsburg, OH

I started using Stridex in the red jar. I have blackheads on my nose and heard the acid in this product is good for keeping pores cleaned out. So far my skin is tolerating me using them once a day and I am happy with my results. HTH

Zaksgrrl1288055458.1179844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark

Lala, for a straight up peel, Dr. Dennis Gross's pads are lightyears better than all of the others (and I have tried them all).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

Zaksgrrl1288055599.0179844 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008In the sun but willing to go into the dark
On 10/24/2010 lala6 said:

Well, I'm 38 and have dry sensitive skin. I want something to help shrink pores, exfoliate, and even out skin tone. So, thanks babyb for the reply!

PTR may be better for you then. The don't dry your skin out at all. He does buffer his products very well. I use his Retinol Night Fusion even after a scrub with NO irritation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When I get through this, I'm going to live the life of an adventurer.
Bear Grylls

babyb1288063495.7534612 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006SD

He HAS to buffer those pads quite well, as with all that alcohol and NO irritation? That is nice!

winamac1288091456.68719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

PTR peel pads

Dr. Gross peel pads

ohioglamgal1288100505.1532048 PostsRegistered 3/1/2007

I've been using and loving the Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Pads for a few weeks. I have the Daily use ones and the Extra Strength ones...I am not using either one every day...simply due to the cost and my budget. I am trying to use them at least twice a week using the Alpha Hydrox AHA pads in between.

The Dr Gross pads have been wonderful the pads themselves (mine are from the packettes) are generously sized and well saturated. They are soft and feel nice on the skin and leave the skin feeling nice and not sticky, either. It's hard to say how much real difference I can see in my skin...but it seems like there is an overall better clarity to it since I've added these to the mix.

The Alpha Hyrox pads, while a nice product which I feel gives good results...that pad is a killer on the face. It feels so scratchy compared the Dr Gross pad.

Make Up Ma­iden1288103574.257508 PostsRegistered 7/22/2010

Hi lala6 ... I've used Dr. Denese's Facial Firming Pads for years, altho interspersing them with other pads occasionally, but always going back to Dr. Denese. I've also found Dr. D's pads to have a great deal of Firming qualities, esp when coupled with her Blue Cream at night. My skin has been brighter, had smaller pores, evens out tone, AND Firming, all of which my skin needs.

At the same time, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Philosophy's Miracle Worker Pads? Any feedback .. Pros? Cons? Thanks!

♥†♥ “Sticks alone can be broken by a child. but sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.” ♥†♥

carrob1288105422.581801 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL

Just ordered PTR unwrinkle peel pads on amazon, they had a qty of 20 for 9.99, I have never used before, this is the smallest quantity I could find. I did have to pay 4.50 for shipping also.

Dachsie1288107296.382607 PostsRegistered 6/4/2006

I just think peeling is something that needs to be thought about in relation to your own skin type and needs.

Peeling for people with acne or acne prone, clogging pores, type skin is to dry up pimples and keep clogged pores from oxydizing and looking like black heads, but "peels" per se do not to my knowledge get deep down in pores and prevent them from clogging nor do they real clear or clean out exisiting plugs. The outer layer of skin gets mildly burned and dry from the chemicals in the product and then the dried flaky skin is so loosened that it comes off the surface with only gentle buffing.

Peeling to keep some exoliation going at a rapid rate so that outer "dead" layer of skin is not there to emphasize fine lines and wrinkles, and so that outer dead layer is removed so that products can penetrate and do their jobs. Many people who want this kind of exfoliation and peeling cannot tolerate the harsher chemicals that people with acne seem to be able to tolerate. And these kinds of peels also really do not clean and clear what is in the pores or what is forming in the pores.

I am still looking in to this, but I do not think any of the strong acids (AHA, BHA or the other one) are meant to be used daily for inside the pores treatment to keep pores from clogging and forming whiteheads, blackheads and pimples.

People with acne prone skin often have very oily skin and do not have as many fine lines, and big lines to worry about. They have to worry about large pores, and pores that are filled and turn in to pimples.

I really would like to know if the Buzz on Acne product keeps pores cleared and is non irritating before I spring for purchase which is not refundable/returnable. This product offers silver and zinc as the active ingredients and those are different from most of the usual over the counter acne products.

noonedelig­hts1288117279.493484 PostsRegistered 2/6/2007

I have HUGE pores and I'm also a huge fan of Dr. Denese pads. Been using them for years. If I miss a few days I notice the difference. My skin doesn't feel as smooth and my pores appear larger.

Dr D's pads in the evening and a good facial scrub in the morning.

jewel31288323670.2531762 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast

I, too, like the Dr. Denese pads. My sisters have been using them for years and now I see why. Especially if I am rebelling against using my Retin-A each night.

You'll never have significance in this life if it's all about you.

KatherineW1288345015.28728128 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God
On 10/24/2010 c_la_vee said:

I am finishing the philosophy's pads and can't wait for it to be over, the solution might be ok but the pads themselves are so harsh and scratchy!

It's like rubbing steel wool on the skin.
I have a Alpha Hydrox Peel Pads waiting to go as soon as I'm finished with philosophy. I hope they're a little softer.

I am on my 4th jar of these pads and they are not harsh and sratchy. You need to let them dry for a min or two before applying your makeup, but I love them. Then again, I have very small pores.

Page 1 of 2