Fall Fashion Clearance
123 Members and 15673 Guests Online

Beauty Banter

Why oh why do women (and men) wear too much perfume/cologne???

Started 1287941904.357 in Beauty Banter | Last reply 1288419602.133 by namealreadytaken

I don't understand the need women (or men) feel to load themselves down with so much fragrance!! Two times this past week, I've encountered women who wore so much fragrance it almost made me sick to my stomach. I entered a grocery store and immediately was hit in the face with an overwhelming, sickening perfume...but there was no one around. I mentioned to my husband that someone in the store had overdone it with perfume. Sure enough, we went down a couple of aisles and encountered the woman. It was so overpowering, I had to put my shopping list in front of my face and hold my breath when I went to get a product near her cart. Then I quickly left the aisle. My husband and children also commented on the same thing.

Then this morning, we decided to visit a church (never been...on vacation and wanted to attend this church). We sat down and after less than two minutes, I noticed an overwhelming fragrance...my head started to "swirl". I started to mention it to my husband, but he actually looked at me first and mentioned the smell. It was a lady sitting directly in front of us. Fortunately she moved to another section a few minutes later....I was considering us moving if she had not done so first. After she moved, my husband commented that not only was the fragrance very overpowering, but it was not even a pleasant scent.

I'll admit that I am fragrance-sensitive. But my husband is not...he just validated what I've known for years: Some women just think the more they pile on, the better they will smell. It's just the opposite!

Why don't some women (or men who pour half the bottle of cologne on themselves) know this? Do their noses not work? Do their family members not smell it? What is it? I just don't understand it!

Haven't they ever heard the phrase "Less is More"??

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
pinkcrystal1287942388.4931272 PostsRegistered 4/24/2006Northern Michigan

There's a guy at my work that I can literally smell before he walks onto the unit, he wears WAY TOO much cologne. It just about takes my breath away.

RebeccaJ1287942636.35821 PostsRegistered 2/28/2008Northeast Georgia

Hi, crush! I know EXACTLY what you mean -- overpowering is the right word!! And it always seems to be those heavy, cloying scents where a little might be okay but more than a little is way, way, way too much!

I don't know if you're old enough to remember when Giorgio was very popular -- it seemed everyone was wearing it. It tears my head up -- my nose runs and my eyes water like crazy -- tears streaming down! The really funny story with it, though, happened one Sunday in church. A woman came in and sat in front of me right after the service began. She must have bathed in Giorgio -- yikes! My nose started running, my eyes were pouring water. People began to look at me a little strangely; they thought I was crying and having a "religious experience" and more than a few patted my hand and arm at the end of the service! Too funny!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I couldn't wait for the minister to finish so I could get away from Ms. Giorgio! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Rebecca J

Coke Zero ­Addict1287942760.571360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010

I can only hope I am not one of those people. I wear a scent every day and try to be very careful with hope much I spritz. Sometimes I think people layer and if one is not careful it can be bad. Hubby and son have never complained so hopefully I am doing good. But I do know what you are talking about, my girlfriends mom was a walking cloud of EL Youth Dew, talk about sickening.

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

colson1287942789.467437 PostsRegistered 10/23/2007East Coast

Sometimes people "get used to" a certain scent on themselves and forget its relative scent. Sometimes they forget and spray scents on themselves with their clothes on, and the clothese absorb scent, and you get terrible build up wear after wear. Ugh.

Murphy's Law of Fragrance -- why are some of the most unpleasant scents the most strong of all!

Past a woman on the stairs in my building recently heading out to work -- oh man, were her co workers in for an unpleasant morning, let alone the poor people who had to ride next to her on the subway or buss!!!!

AZ1287943371.791377 PostsRegistered 6/5/2006

What I don't get is at the gym.......girls/women will spray it on & then go workout or "act" like they. I think they are trying to actually check out the guys/men to find a date or something. It's awful and drives me wacko. If a lady is next to me on a eliptical that stinks.....i have to move.

Shay1287944248.441239 PostsRegistered 9/8/2005

Yuck. I'm sure they don't realize how overpowering it is. I really try to be conscious of not overdoing it, especially since so many people are sensitive to it. Personally, I would appreciate it if someone said something to me if I overdid it (like they would if I had lipstick on my teeth or my skirt was tucked in my undergarments when leaving the ladies room LOL).

TY1287945631.213977 PostsRegistered 3/22/2007

I also have another theory about this. I tried a new scent the other day at Sephora, it was vanilla and smelled really nice. But when I tried the spray bottle, too much came out. I'm pretty sure that I reeked of vanilla for the rest of the day!

pinksequins1287945743.85752 PostsRegistered 3/13/2009

Low self-confidence.

deeva1287946035.5772076 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005stuck in the middle

I don't understand this either. The worst for me was during a flight, the woman next to me had on too much perfume. I was sick to my stomach the entire flight. After that incident, I decided to never wear perfume when I fly.

happy hous­ewife1287946274.64730529 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

It always is the most disagreeable scents that the people overuse too. As an asthmatic I can tell you - it sometimes is almost fatal.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

crush1287948262.72097 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
On 10/24/2010 RebeccaJ said:

Hi, crush! I know EXACTLY what you mean -- overpowering is the right word!! And it always seems to be those heavy, cloying scents where a little might be okay but more than a little is way, way, way too much!

I don't know if you're old enough to remember when Giorgio was very popular -- it seemed everyone was wearing it. It tears my head up -- my nose runs and my eyes water like crazy -- tears streaming down! The really funny story with it, though, happened one Sunday in church. A woman came in and sat in front of me right after the service began. She must have bathed in Giorgio -- yikes! My nose started running, my eyes were pouring water. People began to look at me a little strangely; they thought I was crying and having a "religious experience" and more than a few patted my hand and arm at the end of the service! Too funny!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I couldn't wait for the minister to finish so I could get away from Ms. Giorgio! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Rebecca J

Rebecca J...That is sooo funny! Years ago, we went to a different church than now; I sat beside the same lady almost every Sunday in the choir. Sometimes she wore something that I was highly allergic to...same thing as you...tears, eyes red, fanning myself. I'm sure some thought I was "in the spirit", but I was in a cloud of perfume! Fortunately I soon started singing/playing on the praise team, so I just slipped onto the end seat when it came time for the choir to sing. No more clouds!

brewhaha1287948314.8241463 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007Sitting in front of my computer

They don't shower often enough.

"I don't want clever conversation. I never want to work that hard."
Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are

out of con­trol1287952997.717258 PostsRegistered 11/22/2007

As bad as someone wearing too much cologne is, I'd rather smell that than someone who hasn't showered in awhile. I got stuck between two people in a grocery store, first thing in the morning, and neither one had showered. I thought I'd die before I got thru that line. One smelled like BO and the other just smelled like old sweaty bed!!! Both had greasy hair!!! Yuck!

58 yr. old with menopausal, but normal skin, not sensitive. Brown hair with highlights and green eyes.

BassetMomma1287955385.631502 PostsRegistered 10/4/2008Northern New Jersey

I think it's because they can't smell it on themselves any longer..they become immune to the scent. I use Pink Sugar by Aqualina. I get lots of compliments but I am completely unaware of the scent once I spray it on.

RebeccaJ1287956629.53821 PostsRegistered 2/28/2008Northeast Georgia
On 10/24/2010 crush said:

Rebecca J...That is sooo funny! Years ago, we went to a different church than now; I sat beside the same lady almost every Sunday in the choir. Sometimes she wore something that I was highly allergic to...same thing as you...tears, eyes red, fanning myself. I'm sure some thought I was "in the spirit", but I was in a cloud of perfume! Fortunately I soon started singing/playing on the praise team, so I just slipped onto the end seat when it came time for the choir to sing. No more clouds!

crush,

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to!!! So funny -- and what can you say?!? "No, I'm not 'in the spirit' but in a cloud of perfume that's tearing me up??" THAT won't work -- people will think you're being disrespectful! Moving is the only option -- I'm glad you had the chance to move to the end!! Wink{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Rebecca

Nightowlz1287956839.9079337 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I think they are so used to the fragrance they cannot smell it. Maybe if people started telling them it really stinks when you wear too much. A lady a Lowe's kept going past hubby & I when we were looking at something. Hubby finally said don't pass by me again your perfume is overwhelming.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

alarmclock1287957707.811879 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

Men are now guilty of this! I want to shoot the person that developed Axe. I think it makes your nose fall off so you can't smell yourself any more. It's all about equality, people.

It never fails, but I always get stuck with an older lady doused in Youth Dew. I think it smells nice but not a gallon at a time!

He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help. ~ Abraham Lincoln

kmcshopper1287960384.8436305 PostsRegistered 8/10/2007

Thank you for posting this topic, I had no idea people's asthma could be activated from scent. I don't wear traditional perfume, but, I do wear alot of clean scents from B&BW. Today I wore Twisted Pepermint to church, and we're very kissy huggy type church, hope I didn't offend anyone.

crush1287961560.92097 PostsRegistered 10/7/2005NC
On 10/24/2010 kmcshopper said:

Thank you for posting this topic, I had no idea people's asthma could be activated from scent. I don't wear traditional perfume, but, I do wear alot of clean scents from B&BW. Today I wore Twisted Pepermint to church, and we're very kissy huggy type church, hope I didn't offend anyone.

kmcshopper...I love the Twisted Peppermint. It's more a soft scent to me...very refreshing. I wouldn't think that scent would be overpowering (I've used it, and I have a friend who has used it...never offensive in my opinion), but if it was, at least they'd maybe think you work in a candy store!!

Shay1287961870.3971239 PostsRegistered 9/8/2005
On 10/24/2010 crush said:
On 10/24/2010 kmcshopper said:

kmcshopper...I love the Twisted Peppermint. It's more a soft scent to me...very refreshing. I wouldn't think that scent would be overpowering (I've used it, and I have a friend who has used it...never offensive in my opinion), but if it was, at least they'd maybe think you work in a candy store!!

Or hit the peppermint schnapps a little too hard. Wink

Clover291287961877.1810323 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

I prefer eau de toilette or eau de Cologne because it's much lighter than eau de parfum, but they seem to be much harder to find lately. All I ever see in the fragrances I want are the parfums, which are just too heavy for daytime for me.

I've sent DH on a hunt for the lighter scents when he travels on business, hoping airport duty frees will have them, but he always comes back empty handed (and he'd love to get me something nice, he's as sorry he can't find them as I am).

cerinthe1287962012.4572591 PostsRegistered 7/12/2005

There is a fabulous book called 'The Scent of Desire' (by Rachel Herz,) which deals (more broadly than the title suggests,) with our sense of smell. How we lose it as we get older (and there's really nothing we can do about it,) and how by our 80s, its very low.

How the loss of our sense of smell strongly affects our mood, our emotions, our memory, and so on. How quickly our nose will accustome itself to common scents (like perfumes,) and that makes it easy to overdo (which is compounded if you're older and don't have as strong a sense of smell to begin with.)

And how women are more sensitive in general to scents, since we have more to lose if we make the wrong reproductive/mate choice (since we carry and devote about 2 years to each child, have a limited time to reproduce, etc.,) and especially how women can sniff out the best compliment to their immune genes and all the strange consequences of that. Studies are now pointing in the direction that if you are on bc pills, that your ability to smell the correct genetic mate is muted, and how many relationships later on, have complaints where the woman just can not stand the smell of her husband (after she is off bc pills,) among other things which leads to relationships ending. And how many people try and mask their body scents with various fragrances, etc. Its a GREAT read. Check it out at your local library! Every time I see these threads, I remember everything in the book, I HIGHLY recommend it, especially for those of us more sensitive to fragrance.

Coke Zero ­Addict1287962509.261360 PostsRegistered 8/10/2010
On 10/24/2010 out of control said:

As bad as someone wearing too much cologne is, I'd rather smell that than someone who hasn't showered in awhile. I got stuck between two people in a grocery store, first thing in the morning, and neither one had showered. I thought I'd die before I got thru that line. One smelled like BO and the other just smelled like old sweaty bed!!! Both had greasy hair!!! Yuck!

Worse yet is someone with BO trying to cover with perfume.

My dad related this story: In the elevator at his work and an Englishman gets in and comments that he had been in the U.S. for 7 weeks and he was going home and this was a good thing because he only brought 7 shirts with him.

“We've placed a lot of emphasis in this country on the idea of people's rights. That's how it should be, but it makes no sense to talk about rights without also talking about responsibilities.”
― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

MrsSweetie­Bear2u1287966611.122407 PostsRegistered 8/4/2010

I love scent but there are some or many that I loathe. I have a friend who wears one of them and of course it seems to be the only one she wears. Where I have dozens of favorites that I alternate, she always reeks of her "signature" scent. I don't know what it is and I don't ask because I'm afraid she will take the question as a compliment. I was picking her up one day and was waiting in the car in the parking lot of her condo complex and I could smell her coming way across the black top. I honestly don't know if she uses way too much or if it is simply that strong even used sparingly. I have a hunch it might be Opium which is one I know I strongly dislike.

Anyway, any time I read one these scent complaint type threads, I think of this friend and resolve to spritz or dab with more restraint myself.

Desi1287967333.20313951 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

It's anything unpleasant to your nostrils. We ate out a couple of weeks ago. All good until an older couple sat at the next table. The woman reeked of mothballs. Horrible smell, but what can you say?

Desi

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next